Hannebery on reduced workload following hamstring setback

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Hannebery on reduced workload following hamstring setback

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 8:09am How would you like the job of the membership girl/guy that has to keep sending out positive messages to keep the punters interested and optimistic. Here's a run down of topics: New expensive recruit and great hope for a functioning mid field has a hamstring problem, can't train fully in pre season and may miss opening game; #1 ruck has a hamstring issue and will certainly miss start of season; first round draft pick won't play at least until second half of the season; young gun recent draft pick J. Bytel won't play at all this season (although last two snippets have been known for a while mention they are progresing). A couple of the most skilful players are pointedly not committing beyond this year. Coach's credibility is in a corrosive downward spiral. Package that and cheer everyone up. As for the rest of the list that won several games last year they are enthusiastically training hard. Oh, membership graph is trending...…..as ex coach recalls hearsay about drug use in the years the club was quite competitive; and we have several recruits untried at AFL level that look very promising. Get that membership call centre staffed, now.
I would think you could come up with a similar list for most AFL clubs in the off season. I notice you haven't mentioned any of the positives - Ratten, Billy Slater, Roberton and Bruce coming back well, no MAJOR injuries pre season unlike some other clubs, to mention some positives. Max King is a big forward and even if fit probably wasn't going to play until late in the year anyway, if not next year, same with Bytel. GT's comments? Even if partially true, who cares?

No, I see no problems in the membership department with all the changes. Another bad year would be a different story.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 3:56pm So he hasn’t done a hammy 👍👍👍

First (and last) thing I’ve read on bigfooty in more than 10 years.

It hasn’t improved.
He’s got a touch of tendonitis on the lower part of his right hamstring. That’s all. Nothing in his bloodstream, nothing in the closet. Nothing else.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

P.S. Juice will have a big year. He’s flying.

stonecold
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 1:05pm P.S. Juice will have a big year. He’s flying.
Thanks Tony!!!!!

He looked good today, who else is injured/restricted????? ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 10:52pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 9:21pm
guitars4 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:50pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:30pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 7:10pm Sainters have short memories. Gehrig and Hamill (2 big name recruits) had plenty of injury problems early on and they turned out great.

You can't compare Freeman to Hannebery either. Totally different scenario and background. For instance, Dan H picked up over 25 posessions in his first game back from injury v Melbourne late in the season last year. He is a 3 x AA that has already played a decade of senior footy in a top club.

The main goal is to try get Dan H fit for Rd 1, along with Jake Carlisle. We have very good fitness staff (close to the best in the league apparently) so have a little faith.
Hamill turned out great?
Didn't we give him a 5 year contract as well ? Would have been lucky to play 2 years if you take out all the games he missed through injury. You would think we would learn from the sin's of the past obviously not :roll:
He missed 11 games in his first 5 years at the club and was a ferious attacker of the football which lead to his crippling injuries in 06 and 07 and forced his retirement miway though 07. His impact, along with Gehtig, on the development of the younger stars of his era at St.Kilda was unquestionable.
I didn't say in his first 5 years. I'm sure we extended his contract after his first few years for another 5 years & I could be wrong but I don't think he played a single game in his last year. Even his last few years he was always 2 weeks away but 2 weeks became 4 & 4 became 8 . I would be interested if someone actually knows how many games he played in his last 3 years. I never doubted his courage or commitment & I don't question Dan's either just don't agree with signing injury prone guys on lucrative long contracts. Yes I can see benefit in having these type of blokes around the club but if there not on the park it seems like a big waste IMO
I agree. My understood that he was great in early years but when I started paying more attention again, I was surprised at his new and nice long contract. I felt it was odd and alarm bellish., if you get my drift. From there he seemed to be injured a lot and never came close to fulfilling the hope you would expect was a fair measure of such a contract. I remember one game where he kicked four goals and i was, finally, please, is he sound, could this be it?
Frustrating, shades of later day Kosi and Paddy thus far. Don't and never doubred his character and courage.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Billy Longer has a Hamstring issue does he Yorkey's?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 8:09am How would you like the job of the membership girl/guy that has to keep sending out positive messages to keep the punters interested and optimistic. Here's a run down of topics: New expensive recruit and great hope for a functioning mid field has a hamstring problem, can't train fully in pre season and may miss opening game; #1 ruck has a hamstring issue and will certainly miss start of season; first round draft pick won't play at least until second half of the season; young gun recent draft pick J. Bytel won't play at all this season (although last two snippets have been known for a while mention they are progresing). A couple of the most skilful players are pointedly not committing beyond this year. Coach's credibility is in a corrosive downward spiral. Package that and cheer everyone up. As for the rest of the list that won several games last year they are enthusiastically training hard. Oh, membership graph is trending...…..as ex coach recalls hearsay about drug use in the years the club was quite competitive; and we have several recruits untried at AFL level that look very promising. Get that membership call centre staffed, now.
IMO if you’re doing your job properly, the club should be able to find all manner of ways to make its membership program appealing to new, regular and long term members...

For whatever reason however our club and fans (on this forum at least) and in fairness the majority of the AFL clubs cannot see past the notion of selling only tickets to games.
I posted a thread about this a year or two back and it went down like a lead balloon. Your membership is like a donation to the club was the consensus. That might work for the Hawks and other clubs with a history of success... but charging $300 a year to see the performances of a middle of the road team 5 yrs into a rebuild isn’t the most appealing package in my opinion.

The club should be focusing how broaden their packages to make members feel a part of the club on a bigger scale. Evolve the product so thats appealing to ppl that dont go to many games etc. Options are their if they are willing to look outside the box

Stian
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 1:05pm P.S. Juice will have a big year. He’s flying.
Sorry to be dim but who TF is Juice???

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

given the current thread about him Im hoping its not a veiled comment about elephant juice

Seeya
Stian
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 5:18pm given the current thread about him Im hoping its not a veiled comment about elephant juice
Yep, exactly !!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Play on the berry part of his name, I would think.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 1:03pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 3:56pm So he hasn’t done a hammy 👍👍👍

First (and last) thing I’ve read on bigfooty in more than 10 years.

It hasn’t improved.
He’s got a touch of tendonitis on the lower part of his right hamstring. That’s all. Nothing in his bloodstream, nothing in the closet. Nothing else.
Thank you Tony74. I may be naive but I'm happy to go with that . That was exactly what I was looking for from the likes of you. :)

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Stian wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 5:12pm
Sorry to be dim but who TF is Juice???

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Are Billy and Dan going to be fit for Rd 1 Tony?
Whisper is they won't be but it is early.
Good to hear Bruce is fit. Thanks.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saints website has first injury update for the year. Dan hanneberry is unlikely for round one. Not due to injury but due to being unprepared. Not his fault but his tight hamstring means he needs more training before he is match fit. Jake Carlisle is a maybe. Longer I think is unlikely to play round one as well

Long timers are Jack bytel who won't start running for 2-3 months after his surgery so he is gone for this year as expected and Max king is ten weeks away at best so maybe second half of the year.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 9:45pm Are Billy and Dan going to be fit for Rd 1 Tony?
Whisper is they won't be but it is early.
Good to hear Bruce is fit. Thanks.

Video thanks to Shrodes 👍

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 10:31pm Saints website has first injury update for the year. Dan hanneberry is unlikely for round one. Not due to injury but due to being unprepared. Not his fault but his tight hamstring means he needs more training before he is match fit. Jake Carlisle is a maybe. Longer I think is unlikely to play round one as well

Long timers are Jack bytel who won't start running for 2-3 months after his surgery so he is gone for this year as expected and Max king is ten weeks away at best so maybe second half of the year.
So hamstring 'awareness' detected in early February means he's not ready by mid to late March???

He would have been better off tearing it and missing 3 weeks then coming back to play.

Sombersainter
Club Player

I’ve heard that his hamstring is fine and his lay off has nothing to do with an injury but something else entirely

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 2:23pm
Sainternist wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 11:51am If this rumour about a hobby of downhill skiing (nose first) is true, Simon Lethlean has a LOT to answer for.
He has a close relationship with Buddy, so it's more than just rumour, having said that, the 'AFL Cleanskins' are few and far between these days!!!!!

Some need to get up to 'Speed' with modern society and how it works!!!!!

Go down to your local shopping centre or night club for example, open your eye's and have a real look at the way it all works!!!!!

Unfortunately 'Cleanskins' are few and far between for this generation, it's just how they roll!!!!!

Sad, but True!!!!!
Mate, before the Hannebery trade was done, I was reluctant for the club to go through with it for that very reason. I said in one thread that he'd been going on benders with Buddy in Sydney and I was only lambasted for it, as you know, there are plenty of people "ITK" on here who know for a certain it was crap.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sombersainter wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 2:30pm I’ve heard that his hamstring is fine and his lay off has nothing to do with an injury but something else entirely
Well. Obviously. That’s what the last 2 pages of this thread are about.

Seems very strange that a guy suffering from hamstring ‘awareness ‘ would miss 6 weeks plus

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Agreed, lloked to be bursting out of his skin in the Intraclub.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I base this solely on a report in The Age from July 4, 2018 by Andrew Lu, "What's happened to Swans running man Hannebury?".

If you were like me, you had no inkling that this would be relevant at the time and ignored it.

We all know that DH stats were down, including running distance covered etc.,

Take-away (steamed dim sims) form article are,

1) Swans played down sub-par performance and injury concerns (We will be much more honest! lol)
2) Garry Lyon suggested that his, "inability to change direction and get out of contests are tell-tale signs of significant groin injury"
3) He ALREADY did a REDUCED WORKLOAD in prep for the 2017 season.
4) Injured again in 2018 season

So even with all this reduced workload starting back in 2017, and two years of back-and-forth with all the pros, Dan was really down. Now he is with us we have two choices about how to interpret the latest. We have to give him EVEN more time to rehab than the Swans did on the basis that they were - unfortunately- wrong. Missed. (he also injured a calf then, I don't know but is that also a tertiary problem with groin injuries?. OR choice two, is to just say, it's all a crap shoot anyway. I think it is significant that the Saints have said nothing about how they are going to go about his injury differently to the way the Swans did (and failed), or if not, why not. I assume the heads have agreed, it is not worth the trouble and we'll only make a rod for our own backs.

It must be noted, IMO, that is 2017 was still very decent and based on his 2017 form alone, he would have been great at St Kilda.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 10:59am
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 10:31pm Saints website has first injury update for the year. Dan hanneberry is unlikely for round one. Not due to injury but due to being unprepared. Not his fault but his tight hamstring means he needs more training before he is match fit. Jake Carlisle is a maybe. Longer I think is unlikely to play round one as well

So hamstring 'awareness' detected in early February means he's not ready by mid to late March???

He would have been better off tearing it and missing 3 weeks then coming back to play.
According to Saints website he is running well, they are just being conservative. That is good enough for me. Everything else on this forum is just gossip and hear say based on nothing substantial. IN under a month we get to see if he is ready or not and if it was a silly investment.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

The decision to recruit Dan should be judged after 4 or 5 years. We haven't even played a game yet. The fact he is in the LG already after 1 pre season shows how good a leader and how well respected he is. He wasn't just recruited for his footy ability. The off field stuff some players do make a footy club what it is. Dan is teaching leadership, hard training, dedication, professionalism, respect, etc.

At the end of the day, if Dan himself and the club does everything to get him on the park the majority of games then they can do no more. Its all we can ask for as supporters. I'm confident he will play tons of footy for us as is he and the coaches.

Further, the possible 800k at 4 years (maybe 5) is not much when he have heaps of cap space right now and the full cap rises every season anyway.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 3:14pm The decision to recruit Dan should be judged after 4 or 5 years.
I beg to differ. I think we can judge it anytime just as I think we can compare it to the last contract of Aaron Hamill. Of course our judgments will be haphazard, but it is fun to speculate and part of being a fan. Besides, it is detectives, scientists and mathematicians who still use their intuitions to push their hypotheses forward and then they test them, as undoubtedly we will examine DHs performances this year.

I think the closest agreement we can come to is that DH is somewhere between a calculated risk and an all out gamble on our part. His hammy went twice last year. I am hoping for a Chris Judd at Carlton kinda impact!