Shanghai - Who is making the trip?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Shanghai - Who is making the trip?

Just curious to know who else is heading to Shanghai in June?
I have just booked flights and looking forward to a nice little mid year break.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Shanghai - Who is making the trip?

IluvHarvey wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 12:58pm Just curious to know who else is heading to Shanghai in June?
I have just booked flights and looking forward to a nice little mid year break.
Don't know yet. Depends on whether I can time it be somewhere else in the region at the right time..... Taiwan, Japan or Korea maybe...

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scope it out for us ILH & TB, I plan on making the 2020 game. Vietnam is calling in May this year, with the price of golf there, I'll need 13 months to save.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Word is is that the dumplings are very good in Shangers...that's if you like dumplings.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Considering our record in these overseas games, and our record against Port Adelaide over the years, I won't be attending, but if you treat it as an experience I'll bet it will be very interesting. I am just a bit fed up with how every time we get offered opportunities to play opposition for points in an interesting or different locale we always look like we have jet lag and have left our footy boots on the plane.
If we fail to turn up when we play this match I want the heat to really be applied to all at the club. I can't cop that we always play to the script against these sides when we play these showcase matches, or 'boutique' games, and that we never appear to be sufficiently motivated or 'switched on' in first quarters of them. It's really off putting and it needs to stop because we look uncompetitive at the beginning of matches far too often.
The whole thing reeks of Groundhog Day, just like in the 80s when we knew before the fixture even came out that we would lose twice to Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Geelong and only beat the Swans every few years, now we still can't beat the Hawks, Geelong, or the Swans, and you can add the Eagles, Port and Adelaide to that list. This has been going on for years and doesn't even get mentioned externally.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 21 Jan 2019 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 4:10pm that's if you like dumplings.
Everybody likes dumplings surely?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Poon's in Barkly St, Footscray is likely to be as close as I get.

Mum, Dad and me went there for our slap-up celebratory dinner after the '66 Grand Final. Got the same items off the menu as takeaway a couple of nights before the 2016 GF to share with some bulldog friends. Proved a good omen half a centurey later!

Saint supporter since '62
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon I'll be going to Shanghai. My son, a Saints supporter, is studying in the relatively nearby city of Nanjing, so it's a good enough excuse for a trip.

minneapolis
Club Player

My buddy and I had already made plans to take a train from Beijing to Shanghai for a memorable weekend. But on the last trip home my wife let me know that our third and final daughter is graduating from High School about then. It's a big deal in the States.

So our family will be a hosting a Graduation party at the community pool pavilion on Saturday June 1st. We would expect about a 100 people to flow thru.

I suppose the next day I can watch the game and a big win on the computer.

Sorry guys, I was really looking forward to meeting a few of you and sharing some stories and making memories. I was at the game at the MCG where Plugger kicked most of the score. And I was at the game at Victoria Park with my new American wife when Nicky lifted his shirt. A thrilling win in China would have been another.

Alas, life is just choices.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 4:53pm Considering our record in these overseas games, and our record against Port Adelaide over the years, I won't be attending, but if you treat it as an experience I'll bet it will be very interesting. I am just a bit fed up with how every time we get offered opportunities to play opposition for points in an interesting or different locale we always look like we have jet lag and have left our footy boots on the plane.
If we fail to turn up when we play this match I want the heat to really be applied to all at the club. I can't cop that we always play to the script against these sides when we play these showcase matches, or 'boutique' games, and that we never appear to be sufficiently motivated or 'switched on' in first quarters of them. It's really off putting and it needs to stop because we look uncompetitive at the beginning of matches far too often.
The whole thing reeks of Groundhog Day, just like in the 80s when we knew before the fixture even came out that we would lose twice to Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Geelong and only beat the Swans every few years, now we still can't beat the Hawks, Geelong, or the Swans, and you can add the Eagles, Port and Adelaide to that list. This has been going on for years and doesn't even get mentioned externally.
Mm n.. it does feel like that to me sometimes, but I don’t think I really have a clue and am just reacting to the disappointment. What are our actual stats like in these games?

How many have we played in the past five or so years, how many did we lose, and more particularly, how did we follow up in the next two or three games?

Does anyone know, in general off 5e top of their heads?

Recently, it seems we generally lose but is that a fact?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Off the top of my head;
In New Zealand, we lost all of our 3 ANZAC Day games in Wellington, plus another loss in Auckland going back a bit.
In Tasmania: Launceston, where we enjoy good support we have only a 50% win/loss ratio but most of the wins we did manage to have were a loooong time ago now. We have not yet beaten North Melbourne in Hobart.
We haven't won any of the 'Pride' games against the Swans and been thrashed in all of them. Uncompetitive. Must be 4 or 5 zip.
Smashed by North in the Good Friday game.
Apart from the Gold Coast and once against GWS and the Hawks, we haven't won interstate since 2011.

Added to this is our shocking record against opponents since 2012:
Have not beaten any of Adelaide, the Swans or Port. Have only beaten West Coast, Geelong and the Hawks once. In Fact we have only beaten Hawthorn once in ten years since 2009. Obviously we still haven't won at Adelaide Oval yet.

An unhealthy number of the wins (32% winning percentage) we have had in this era were won on the backs of our retirees Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna, Sean Dempster, Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert.
A consistent feature of the 68% of matches we lost is that many of the matches were decided when sides kicked quick sustained bursts of unanswered goals against us.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

minneapolis wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 12:38pm My buddy and I had already made plans to take a train from Beijing to Shanghai for a memorable weekend. But on the last trip home my wife let me know that our third and final daughter is graduating from High School about then. It's a big deal in the States.

So our family will be a hosting a Graduation party at the community pool pavilion on Saturday June 1st. We would expect about a 100 people to flow thru.

Sorry guys, I was really looking forward to meeting a few of you and sharing some stories and making memories. I was at the game at the MCG where Plugger kicked most of the score. And I was at the game at Victoria Park with my new American wife when Nicky lifted his shirt. A thrilling win in China would have been another.

Graduating in the middle of the year? They're different over in the USA

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 4:54pm
minneapolis wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 12:38pm My buddy and I had already made plans to take a train from Beijing to Shanghai for a memorable weekend. But on the last trip home my wife let me know that our third and final daughter is graduating from High School about then. It's a big deal in the States.

Graduating in the middle of the year? They're different over in the USA
Not really, graduating right before their big summer holiday period, just like us....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!