Hannebury Hurts Sometimes.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebury Hurts Sometimes.....

I think a strong counter argument to "we fixed Nathan Freeman" is to ask, which AFL club will he be playing at in 2019?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 23 Dec 2018 6:52am I think a strong counter argument to "we fixed Nathan Freeman" is to ask, which AFL club will he be playing at in 2019?
I don’t think so...
My post was in reference to the fact that he overcame his hamstring troubles and played a full season of football. Albeit VFL.

Unless the argument is he was delisted because of the long term impacts of his chronic hamstring issues etc but personally I don’t think we saw enough of him at senior level to properly draw that conclusion. His one full game seemed to equal that of many other top 22 performances

And in context, I’m supporting the recruitment of Hannebery who comes with injury concerns because it appears that though our club struggles in keeping up in many areas, our fitness team seem to be amongst the best

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Dec 2018 10:16am
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 23 Dec 2018 6:52am I think a strong counter argument to "we fixed Nathan Freeman" is to ask, which AFL club will he be playing at in 2019?
I don’t think so...
My post was in reference to the fact that he overcame his hamstring troubles and played a full season of football. Albeit VFL.

Unless the argument is he was delisted because of the long term impacts of his chronic hamstring issues etc but personally I don’t think we saw enough of him at senior level to properly draw that conclusion. His one full game seemed to equal that of many other top 22 performances

And in context, I’m supporting the recruitment of Hannebery who comes with injury concerns because it appears that though our club struggles in keeping up in many areas, our fitness team seem to be amongst the best
Only a stronger counter argument can counter a strong counter argument.

Those are the rules of engagement.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

our best bet was to get a young player with potential at this stage of our development...we didn't which , to me, indicates more years of misery...so much money over such a long period for a player near the end of his use by date can be crippling.

just be prepared for even more tough times ahead...I just don't have any confidence in the people running the club atm despite the changes.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 23 Dec 2018 8:46pm our best bet was to get a young player with potential at this stage of our development...we didn't which , to me, indicates more years of misery...so much money over such a long period for a player near the end of his use by date can be crippling.

just be prepared for even more tough times ahead...I just don't have any confidence in the people running the club atm despite the changes.
Interesting view point.

What I would say is that it’ll be interesting to see where we’re at in 12 months time...
I sit somewhere between doubtful the changes were enough to how much can you do in one off-season. We moved on a lot of players that weren’t good enough to get a game apparently...
Hopefully the shift turns to those that are playing but not well enough.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I don’t think so...

Yes, it's unfathomable how they kept playing Mav, then cut him, keep playing Newnes even though he doesn't tackle and is a ghost, they just persist against all common sense, and a guy like Freeman who spent his own money to go to Germany for treatment, did everything he could, only got a couple of chances then was cut.
Why not give him a year? They gave Lonie a year!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018 11:42am
I don’t think so...

Yes, it's unfathomable how they kept playing Mav, then cut him, keep playing Newnes even though he doesn't tackle and is a ghost, they just persist against all common sense, and a guy like Freeman who spent his own money to go to Germany for treatment, did everything he could, only got a couple of chances then was cut.
Yep.

I mean they obviously had a reason good enough to justify it to themselves... I just wish we had a way of better answering the question.

Perhaps that’s the million dollar idea...
Bring back the old online Q&A

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018 12:03pm
I don’t think so...

Yep.

I mean they obviously had a reason good enough to justify it to themselves... I just wish we had a way of better answering the question.

Con said it had something to do with a pre season camping trip to the mallee, rippling sweaty bodies and and a dusty hat.

Unconfirmed at this stage.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

dragit wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018 1:12pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018 12:03pm
I don’t think so...

Yep.

Con said it had something to do with a pre season camping trip to the mallee, rippling sweaty bodies and and a dusty hat.

Unconfirmed at this stage.
There's a question here that I am scared to ask...and if Con is Con Gorozides, then it's fabrication.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018 8:43pm I believe the delisting of Freeman is an incredibly stupid decision.
He actually performed reasonably well in his first game and nailed a goal from around 35 metres from his first set shot as a mid. Then inexplicably he only received 55% of game time in his second game and then was dropped by Mr Kryptonite. After three years of getting his body right, I'd have backed in continued improvement rather than delisting him after one and a half games.

I also think the recruiting of an injury prone Hannebury coming off two very poor years is a very stupid decision.
To pay him $800,000 a year for five years and give up the second round pick in next year's draft is full on ridiculous.

How anyone can post "at least he came cheaply" is flabbergasting.

I sincerely hope HD proves all the doubters wrong!

except noone else wanted him either

ListManager
Club Player

saintly wrote: Mon 31 Dec 2018 5:40pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018 8:43pm I believe the delisting of Freeman is an incredibly stupid decision.
He actually performed reasonably well in his first game and nailed a goal from around 35 metres from his first set shot as a mid. Then inexplicably he only received 55% of game time in his second game and then was dropped by Mr Kryptonite. After three years of getting his body right, I'd have backed in continued improvement rather than delisting him after one and a half games.

I also think the recruiting of an injury prone Hannebury coming off two very poor years is a very stupid decision.
To pay him $800,000 a year for five years and give up the second round pick in next year's draft is full on ridiculous.

The fact that Freeman wasn't picked up by anyone else means nothing. The other morons probably just assumed that if St Kilda don't want him then he must be shot.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
takeaway
Club Player

ListManager wrote: Tue 01 Jan 2019 2:17pm

The fact that Freeman wasn't picked up by anyone else means nothing. The other morons probably just assumed that if St Kilda don't want him then he must be shot.
So the other clubs just rely on the judgment of St Kilda? Well, that is a feather in our cap.

ListManager
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Tue 01 Jan 2019 3:18pm
ListManager wrote: Tue 01 Jan 2019 2:17pm

So the other clubs just rely on the judgment of St Kilda? Well, that is a feather in our cap.
No it's not a feather in our cap at all. It just proves the lack of intellect within the AFL.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought that no player is 'picked up' by another club without a full medical examination being done, so nobody would have just 'relied on our judgement'.
BUT the fact that no other Club picked up Freeman confirms St Kilda's assessment of him - they all must think there are better options than him going into season 2019.

ListManager
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 02 Jan 2019 8:32am I would have thought that no player is 'picked up' by another club without a full medical examination being done, so nobody would have just 'relied on our judgement'.
BUT the fact that no other Club picked up Freeman confirms St Kilda's assessment of him - they all must think there are better options than him going into season 2019.
Absolute Cods Wallop. The 2 games he played for us in the seniors he was better than most. Getting rid of Freeman (and to a lesser extent Goddard), was a stupid decision. Gallagher should have been immediately removed from his newly acquired position. I would have de-listed McCartin way before even considering Freeman and Goddard.

derby Street
Club Player

ListManager wrote: Wed 02 Jan 2019 1:08pm
Mr Magic wrote: Wed 02 Jan 2019 8:32am I would have thought that no player is 'picked up' by another club without a full medical examination being done, so nobody would have just 'relied on our judgement'.
Absolute Cods Wallop. The 2 games he played for us in the seniors he was better than most. Getting rid of Freeman (and to a lesser extent Goddard), was a stupid decision. Gallagher should have been immediately removed from his newly acquired position. I would have de-listed McCartin way before even considering Freeman and Goddard.
Freemans 2 games were better than most? What were you watching? Mr Magic is spot on - I would take far more notice what 18 clubs thought than what you state PistManager.

outside66
Club Player

I saw Gilbo a day or two after Freeman was delisted where I was pretty disappointed with the decision. I asked Gilbo what he made of it where he said that Freeman was a ripping bloke and clubman but unfortunately his weapon was his pace which he no longer had, had no penetration in his kick, and was abit challenged in the height department to be a one-paced mid. All of which obviously went against Freeman's favour.

We have a plethora of slowish-mids (Steven would be our only mid with elite breakaway speed from 2018) therefore Freeman was no longer in our plans as we need more from the outside. With the blokes we acquired in the draft and trade (Kent, Hind, Parker, and Young) plus the younger ones looking to move into the middle (Hunter, Coffield, Gresh, Phillips, Paton, Acres etc) then it really left the club with no option but to cut him. Also, Freeman said himself that he is unlikely to recapture his top end speed that made him stand out as a junior therefore had to build up other areas in his game. A shame but if Freeman goes back and dominates in the VFL and recaptures some of that speed he's lost/make up for it in other areas then there is no reason why he can't get another chance in the AFL.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Troll.

Mods, get rid of this oxygen theif.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Wed 02 Jan 2019 3:59pm Freeman said himself that he is unlikely to recapture his top end speed that made him stand out as a junior therefore had to build up other areas in his game. A shame but if Freeman goes back and dominates in the VFL and recaptures some of that speed he's lost/make up for it in other areas then there is no reason why he can't get another chance in the AFL.
With his pace slowing and by building up other areas of his game I thought Freeman could become our Sam Mitchell with quick hands and a quick mind which it looked like he had.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd feel more comfortable writing Freeman off if we'd actually given him more of a chance to prove himself, but as is Richo's way, he loves to make a scapegoat of the young and inexperienced players whenever we are belted meanwhile backing his ordinary plodding GOPS.

Freemans first game from 80% game time:
19 touches, 84 % DE, 3 tackles - not a bad debut, nothing extraordinary.

(sinclair 15, Coffield 10, Newnes 9,

Game two
with only 55% game time
14 disposals, 9 kicks, 78% DE, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1.1 goal, 1 goal assist,
Our 8th rated player on the ground, would have comfortably been in our top 5 players with more game time yet is benched and his career deemed over. Looking at a 20+, 8 mark, 2 goal, 3-4 tackle game…

After working through rehab for 5 years the guy deserved a better opportunity than 1.5 games, instead we saw more of the same insipid crap from a handful of guys on a golden ticket.

How on earth he is the only player omitted after such a poor team performance is hard to justify…
meanwhile - Webster, McKenzie, Gresham, Newnes, Long, Paton, Carlisle, Rice, Acres, Sinclair, Geary, Membrey were all very ordinary.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Fri 04 Jan 2019 10:43am I'd feel more comfortable writing Freeman off if we'd actually given him more of a chance to prove himself, but as is Richo's way, he loves to make a scapegoat of the young and inexperienced players whenever we are belted meanwhile backing his ordinary plodding GOPS.

BUT, 18 clubs (including us), had multiple opportunities to select him on either their Main list or Rookie list, and not one did.
So I think it is safe to assume that our Club's opinion of him seemingly was shared by the other 17 clubs - there were better options other than giving him a better chance to prove himself.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Nexus, if you're against my opinion then that is all the affirmation I need.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Freeman was average at best. Could only break into one of the worst AFL teams at season end for the purpose of letting him liv out his dream. Well done to him but we have enough average inside mids let alone one that is injury prone. Cutting him was the right call.
Our players lost passion well before the last month and we're going thru the motions until the season. Ended so their performances were down.
In saying that a few may find themselves out the door come year end unless they lift big time. Looking at you lonie and dunstan

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 04 Jan 2019 1:42pm
dragit wrote: Fri 04 Jan 2019 10:43am I'd feel more comfortable writing Freeman off if we'd actually given him more of a chance to prove himself, but as is Richo's way, he loves to make a scapegoat of the young and inexperienced players whenever we are belted meanwhile backing his ordinary plodding GOPS.

BUT, 18 clubs (including us), had multiple opportunities to select him on either their Main list or Rookie list, and not one did.
So I think it is safe to assume that our Club's opinion of him seemingly was shared by the other 17 clubs - there were better options other than giving him a better chance to prove himself.
I'm talking about giving him a chance last year, 3 or 4 games that he deserved instead of a meagre 1.5 games... plenty of worse players in the side in the games he played.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 04 Jan 2019 2:17pm Freeman was average at best. Could only break into one of the worst AFL teams at season end for the purpose of letting him liv out his dream. Well done to him but we have enough average inside mids let alone one that is injury prone. Cutting him was the right call.
Our players lost passion well before the last month and we're going thru the motions until the season. Ended so their performances were down.
In saying that a few may find themselves out the door come year end unless they lift big time. Looking at you lonie and dunstan
You must be thinking of Lonie from another season, his last month of footy was close to elite.