Draft Night Video - Intense!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft Night Video - Intense!

Just watched the Suns video...I'll be accused of being negative SOB, but check it out. They are clear and organized, there is a bit of good humour, everyone is able to speak their opinion. They communicate well, Stewie Dew asks pertinent questions and receives considered answers.
When you see our video Gallagher and Liberatore get confused over pick 11, there is an atmosphere of tension within the group, and to me, it clearly surrounds the desperate coach.
They say that they will do the first round swap with Port only for Caldwell, someone says "there's no one else though "..then when that fails... theyre after RCD....ask an independent to assess culture of those 3 clubs based on those videos and we come last, hands down.

Nee!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yep, after the draft I was quite buoyant, although we did not select who I wanted (Bailey Smith), happy enough to defer to those who "do this for a living". Now, after this vid, I'm not so sure. Seems like we didn't really know too many kids outside of Cal Twomey's list which explains why we desperately wanted to get inside that range.
Also explains why our SA/WA guy got 3 selections, he knew his stuff (hopefully) and the others didn't.
Remembering this was meant to be a deep draft, to rival 2001, we had one pick inside the Top 40. Next year in a shallower draft we have one pick inside the Top 50 (for now) & we still seemed hell bent on making that position worse.
My take is that we did not have a list plan & if we did we went off script very easily.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I thought our staff were super professional and knew what they were doing. They definitely had a plan in place. This is only 7 minutes footage from the first night and we were always picking Max King. We were always a very slim chance to get back into the first night of drafting also. They tried a couple of plans they had thought of but the end result wasn't in our best interests. Good decisions made. Compared to the other clubs videos we were just as good. Well done Saints.

Gallagher and Libba look the goods.
Cut them some lack, for example: A 7 minute video will never show the hundreds or thousands of hours a guy like Toce put into watching players at SA and WA level which is his job.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

Perceptions on the video(s) just basically reflect posters' views on the club. You can see and twist anything if you are looking for it.

One telling point missed was that the CEO of the club popped in and there was no seat available to him - no strategy and poor planning. Disgrace.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Can't agree Takeaway. I thought the video showed a pretty ordinary organization.
However, I actually think they drafted well. I was happy with the results, with Bytel and the 3 senior players, it seemed like a good strategy.
But, lets not pretend the video isn't , at best, unimpressive.

Nee!
mordiboyz
Club Player

Can anybody then explain why our video was the only video plastered all over the front page of the AFL website for days? I will say that it was the most entertaining out of the three videos featured.

Positives - Liberatore

Meh - The others

I did enjoy how the AFL couldn't get the phones to work too. Maybe they can try a fax machine next time.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The best bit was cho acting surprised at the suggestion that his position is under serious pressure.

"oh right-o"

Meanwhile the rest of the room were too scared to even look at him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Gallagher seemed to be pretty switched on, not sure why trout was still hanging around… nothing like getting the sack but just continuing to turn up to work every day.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Great video. Well done to the club for participating. Yeah, we looked a bit unorganised - but live trading through most clubs into a tizz.

What I like about it is that if ever we want to trade for Caldwell or Collier-Dawkins in the future, we can actually say "Hey, we wanted you from day one - we even tried to get you in 2018."

That stuff resonates with players. They want to be wanted. And Caldwell is a nailed-on go-home option in a couple of years.

Win-win releasing this video. I'd like to see more of it. Helps fans understand the process.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

HarryM
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 7:06am I watched the video,
Very amateurish and showed a poor culture.
These guys have had months to figure out their strategy.
They looked confused and uncertain, at one point a really basic point being explained about pick 11.
Check the body language early on...everyone with arms crossed, very defensive, not sure who should speak or voice an opinion.
Cho just didn't really know..."just try your hardest get him boys" ...sounds like a coach under pressure (not too worried about preserving next years first rounder for obvious reasons)
The Carlton video was much better, showing a relatively calm focused well led group. If a bit sychophantic.
And who was the massive fat bloke with a beard who did nothing?

Amateur hour at best.

What a rabble.

Fat boy with the beard is some Collingwood reject we picked up for peanuts, he was spotted during year sun baking with his mate while supposed to be watching U/16's on Gold Coast, needless to say he wasnt doing his job.

Gallagher seems to be the only one with a phone, maybe they could pass the hat around so everyone can afford one.

portosaint
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 10 Dec 2018 10:22pm OK if the juveniles have had enough we might be able to talk about the subject of the DN video.

I must say watching that was rather cringe inducing as it all looked downright amateurish

No one looked like they were taking control or had a plan - surely they would have been well versed having discussed all scenarios re: all picks and players, going in yet here they were discussing " What should we do?" "Is it worth picking this guy at this pick?

Even when picking King - someone said "Right are we going to do it? and they all looked around at each other before some one made a joke and then the comment " Stop it your not helping" and then finally (I think) Lethlean? says "Yeah Do It!

WTF?!?!?!?!

Maybe it was the editing but their approach seemed hardly incisive or focused and just came across as an utter mess

More Inner Shictum than Inner Sanctum - complete shambles IMHO! :evil:
I agree it looked a bit disorganised.

But on the Max King point, I expect the reason they were holding off was to allow maximum time in the hope someone (say Port) make an incredible offer. They knew that wasn't likely to happen, hence the joking by Toce, but as long as they hadnt picked it was still a possibility.

Rather smart. Use your allocated time and hope it gets the better of someone. That's how I read it anyway.

Other than that it did seem that they weren't entirely on the same page.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Geez this place cracks me up sometimes. Love the differing opinions. :D

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
portosaint
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 7:44pm Geez this place cracks me up sometimes. Love the differing opinions. :D
I'm not sure what you're getting at.... Would be pretty boring if all the opinions were the same don't you think?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Of course, not having a dig at you, but some of the stuff I read on here cracks me up.

The biomechanics of Blake Acres in another thread was hilarious reading for example. Even this thread is quite funny.

Total = 1.
portosaint
Club Player

I think this thread has quite a lot of merit, but that's my opinion of course. Much has been said about our recruiting and on the available evidence, we did look the least prepared out of the posted videos. I can see why some are concerned

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

And how many people on here have actually been a room like that on draft night? Probably no one. Pretty sure these guys know what they're doing. 7 minutes and edited (only on the first night) doesn't show all the hours and plans put in by these blokes.

Total = 1.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

How was it under the table, Ted? How are the knees?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 8:01pm And how many people on here have actually been a room like that on draft night? Probably no one. Pretty sure these guys know what they're doing. 7 minutes and edited (only on the first night) doesn't show all the hours and plans put in by these blokes.
Have you?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

SaintPav...you are sick.

And no, I haven't been in a room on draft night, but the difference is is that I'm not bagging out these guys in the vid and pretending I know how its meant to be. I suppose I just have a bit more faith in those guys in the room compared to some negative no nothing nob on here.

Total = 1.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 8:01pm And how many people on here have actually been a room like that on draft night? Probably no one. Pretty sure these guys know what they're doing. 7 minutes and edited (only on the first night) doesn't show all the hours and plans put in by these blokes.
Pretty sure we only have one flag in 150 years.

Pretty sure we have an appalling record in the draft over the past 15 years.

Pretty sure we used a #1 pick on an undersized key forward with chronic health problems who has only managed 35 games in 4 years.

Pretty sure we are here to discuss things and not just assume the club is always doing everything right.

Pretty sure you are not actually interested in any discussion that requires critical thought, yet continue to create thread after thread anyway.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

skeptic wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 9:19pm
Have you?
Im waiting for someone to ask how long Gallagher had been in a room like that

Seeya
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 10:13pm Im waiting for someone to ask how long Gallagher had been in a room like that
How long has Gallagher been in a room like that?

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

None of us have. But when we compare our 7 mins and draw conclusions about the dynamics and culture of our room vs the league basket cases of GCS and Carlton ...we looked the least prepared, most confused, most defensive.

Sure maybe the editing didnt do any favours, and maybe they absolutely shone in the later picks....but on the evidence available we looked pretty ordinary.
Is that so hard to admit?

Nee!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Thu 13 Dec 2018 12:04am
None of us have. But when we compare our 7 mins and draw conclusions about the dynamics and culture of our room vs the league basket cases of GCS and Carlton ...we looked the least prepared, most confused, most defensive.

Sure maybe the editing didnt do any favours, and maybe they absolutely shone in the later picks....but on the evidence available we looked pretty ordinary.
Is that so hard to admit?
Yep not hard at all

I would admit I am one of the more glass half full posters on here but here I was finding myself disappointed by the video - is this a bad thing?

At time when we should been incisive and prepared the main two list guys were still debating what we should do at various stages.

You would have to assume that we wanted 10 from Port to draft Caldwell (not confirmed though) but when Port turned down our offer it seemed like our Plan B to get him (thru GWS pick?) was still up in the air or at least hadn't been decided on - they talked about trying to a deal with GWS and then next thing you know we see GWS call his name out - did we even try? - it was a strange edit

IMO there should have been a ton of scenarios plotted out - taking into account scenarios around bids and pick trading - and they should have been ready to pull trigger with desired players at whatever pick with every club not sitting there still discussing options at that late stage - they should have pretty much on the same page and have been able to finish off each others sentences.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 8:01pm . Pretty sure these guys know what they're doing.
Pretty sure that that you have no basis for being pretty sure on this as I am pretty sure that for many drafts now that we have not done as well as other clubs at this.

I am CERTAIN however that we needed to have lifted our game in this regard and I am hoping like hell that we have.

I am also pretty sure that as we have taking a huge punt with so many players with injury clouds that I am certain that the most important Saint in terms of decision making was not in that particular room = Our main Doctor who has made the call on these players overcoming their injuries.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....