Can slower midfields win games?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can slower midfields win games?

Another thing a good clearance midfielder needs is core strength- strength to break tackles, getting arms clear to handball etc etc. I saw a bit of Greg Williams earlier on, not speedy but he was a strong unit who could get the first use of the ball, distribute effectively and keep his feet under pressure- one big plus. Kennedy, Mitchell, Judd, Ablett jr are all in the same boat. You cant use lots of chipping around possessions as a guide to how good a midfielder is.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Put Blake Acres in the guts and watch him break out of those stoppages. He's looking bigger so shouldn't have any issues in the strength department (I just started a thread on him and there's a link with video). Hopefully his fitness allows him to be played in the centre and hopefully Richo let's him run riot in the middle

chico2001
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 6:49pm Put Blake Acres in the guts and watch him break out of those stoppages. He's looking bigger so shouldn't have any issues in the strength department (I just started a thread on him and there's a link with video). Hopefully his fitness allows him to be played in the centre and hopefully Richo let's him run riot in the middle
I hope he has improved then, always big wraps on him but he has not produced with any real consistency. He has had quite a few chances and been at the club 4-5 years. Been getting away with his size as a big plus but just a bit slow. To get in the midfield he has to be better than at least 6 others and 4 of those would be certainties. Ross, Steven, Hannebery and Steele, then their is Kent and Gresham, probably Parker. Pressure will be on to get a spot at half forward even. he is probably another player who has to have a break out year or will be in the mix for a trade end of 2019.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sure. They just need to stop time.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

People still go on hoping Acres is more than he has ever showed. Comparing him with Dunstan and they have remarkably similar averages across all stats. the only time the difference is greater than 1 is in dunstan's favour for possessions, clearances, and tackles. both are a bit ahead of sinclair, all three need to turn it on this year.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Blake will have Dunstan and Sinclair covered for tap outs though :wink: :D

Would like to see Richo/Ratts/Lade allow Blake to settle as a genuine mid. He hasn't let the team down when it comes to kicking accurately for goal and he is very difficult to match up on when he goes forward.

Dunny is solely an inside mid and Sinclair I reckon should be used solely on the outside

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I am baffled by the treatment of Sinclair. a year ago he was our only elite player when he played as mainly as a small forward. So this year we move him from that role and make him play more in defence at in the middle. Why? Seriously I don't get it. When did being a small forward become a bad thing? What we wouldn't do for Milne right about now.

Keep him forward, Billings moves more into the midfield if/when he has the tank. His goal kicking is way off now so better to keep him away from the sticks until he gets his mojo back.

I am going to be curious to know what we are going to do with our 4 mature aged players (still laugh that 22 is mature) as none fill a hole that need filling. I hope we aren't that stupid to think that because they are quick they can play as outside mids

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair was rated elite as a winger I thought? Seems a position Richo has tried every man and his dog in.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
DJ Higgins
Club Player

To be fair he was on the wing small forward role, didn't venture back much got feed the ball in the forward half or in the fifty. This year he was all over the shop. Hated seeing him in n the back half let alone back 50

dragit
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 12:59am People still go on hoping Acres is more than he has ever showed. Comparing him with Dunstan and they have remarkably similar averages across all stats. the only time the difference is greater than 1 is in dunstan's favour for possessions, clearances, and tackles. both are a bit ahead of sinclair, all three need to turn it on this year.
Yep, this truth hurts… All three of those blokes need to really start cranking up their disposal numbers and have regular impact on games if we're to improve.

chico2001
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 12:53pm I am baffled by the treatment of Sinclair. a year ago he was our only elite player when he played as mainly as a small forward. So this year we move him from that role and make him play more in defence at in the middle. Why? Seriously I don't get it. When did being a small forward become a bad thing? What we wouldn't do for Milne right about now.

Keep him forward, Billings moves more into the midfield if/when he has the tank. His goal kicking is way off now so better to keep him away from the sticks until he gets his mojo back.

I am going to be curious to know what we are going to do with our 4 mature aged players (still laugh that 22 is mature) as none fill a hole that need filling. I hope we aren't that stupid to think that because they are quick they can play as outside mids
One or two of them would have to play midfield wouldn't they? They cant all play on the half forward line.Will these guys be good enough to become regular players and will they have the tank and skill set to play in the middle? And that is where the recruiting team will be judged. Wilkie is definetly a backline recruit and the others for speed as required. Parker will play HF flank but has good speed to be able to come out of the middle or even half back. Maybe the strategy is to use these guys to break the lines but 28 into 22 doesn't go.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 1:06am Blake will have Dunstan and Sinclair covered for tap outs though :wink: :D

Would like to see Richo/Ratts/Lade allow Blake to settle as a genuine mid. He hasn't let the team down when it comes to kicking accurately for goal and he is very difficult to match up on when he goes forward.

Dunny is solely an inside mid and Sinclair I reckon should be used solely on the outside
8cres could be the next Fyfe or Cripps (big strong bodied mid) if only The ChoSen One would actually play him there.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 6:34pm One or two of them would have to play midfield wouldn't they? They cant all play on the half forward line.Will these guys be good enough to become regular players and will they have the tank and skill set to play in the middle? And that is where the recruiting team will be judged. Wilkie is definetly a backline recruit and the others for speed as required. Parker will play HF flank but has good speed to be able to come out of the middle or even half back. Maybe the strategy is to use these guys to break the lines but 28 into 22 doesn't go.
which one? I mean no disrespect to any of the new guys but who can play as an outside mid, we don't need another inside mid .
Jack Bytel is an inside mid not outside. Not sure what his speed is like but from the highlights he likes to go in and get the ball and hand it off rather than wait on the wing
Matthew Parker. Goal kicking small forward. Question marks over his tank but we need him to stay forward and kick goals
Nick Hind. Runs off half back and weighs 75 kgs. Again I don't know his tank size but i think he needs to pack on some muscle before he plays anywhere. 75kgs at 180 cm seems a touch light and he will get pushed around like Lonie
Robbie Young ‘hunt-down forward’ who can play as an inside mid, again not an outside mid

I have nothing against anyone of these guys individually but as a whole it doesn't look like we are solving our outside run problem anytime soon

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 9:49pm I have nothing against anyone of these guys individually but as a whole it doesn't look like we are solving our outside run problem anytime soon
Makes me wonder about the distinction between inside-outside and it’s relationship-if there is such- “good” ruckman.

I know it is so easy to point out that clearances and rucking duels don’t correlate very well, but I’m betting it takes just a couple of crucial chains in play, that start with a good tap, a collect, a zip outside and a nice delivery that can swing a game, and the odds of this happening are way higher with “good” rucks like Gawn. Maybe the stats don’t show this. After all, we win plenty of clearances, don’t we?

BTW I never paid much attention, but what kind of midfielder was Jason Akermanis(inside/outside)?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Armo, Steven, Seb Ross and Newnes have all had time in the AFL as professional full time footballers (and have all hit their peak imo). Acres, Sinclair, Dunstan and Billings are still relatively young so there is a chance they can take their game to another level. Let's give Parker and Robbie Young a couple of years in the system as full time athletes without having to worry about holding down a regular job and let's see where their potential lies.

Paton, Phillips and Coff and Clark are still fresh so they too need time in the system to prove what they can achieve. I'm sure there'll be some disappointing outcomes and some of our draftees will surprise. I have a feeling that both the 2 new indigenous guys have a lot of upside

chico2001
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 05 Dec 2018 12:14am
DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 9:49pm I have nothing against anyone of these guys individually but as a whole it doesn't look like we are solving our outside run problem anytime soon
Makes me wonder about the distinction between inside-outside and it’s relationship-if there is such- “good” ruckman.

I know it is so easy to point out that clearances and rucking duels don’t correlate very well, but I’m betting it takes just a couple of crucial chains in play, that start with a good tap, a collect, a zip outside and a nice delivery that can swing a game, and the odds of this happening are way higher with “good” rucks like Gawn. Maybe the stats don’t show this. After all, we win plenty of clearances, don’t we?

BTW I never paid much attention, but what kind of midfielder was Jason Akermanis(inside/outside)?
Pretty sure Aker was an outside mid although I hate using those terms, you are either in the midfield or you are not. He was a winger but had a lot of pace, went midfield then to the forward line. A great career.

chico2001
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 05 Dec 2018 1:22am Armo, Steven, Seb Ross and Newnes have all had time in the AFL as professional full time footballers (and have all hit their peak imo). Acres, Sinclair, Dunstan and Billings are still relatively young so there is a chance they can take their game to another level. Let's give Parker and Robbie Young a couple of years in the system as full time athletes without having to worry about holding down a regular job and let's see where their potential lies.

Paton, Phillips and Coff and Clark are still fresh so they too need time in the system to prove what they can achieve. I'm sure there'll be some disappointing outcomes and some of our draftees will surprise. I have a feeling that both the 2 new indigenous guys have a lot of upside
hey skinner, do you know anything about the game at all? Armo has hit his peak.....rofl, he hit it 4 years ago. Don't say anything about football because you obviously know f*ckall about the game. Try marbles or hopscotch, that's more your league.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't matter how many times you post on this forum. Doesn't matter if you have played at a higher level than I have. It won't change the fact that you have s*** for brains. In fact the more you post it has the reverse effect of what you are trying to achieve. You're too dumb to realsie it

chico2001
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 06 Dec 2018 11:44pm Doesn't matter how many times you post on this forum. Doesn't matter if you have played at a higher level than I have. It won't change the fact that you have s*** for brains. In fact the more you post it has the reverse effect of what you are trying to achieve. You're too dumb to realsie it
Hey skinner, get your spelling right if you are going to abuse people.....makes you look...."feeble" and not in command of what you are doing. Keep your beady eye on that dunny too ..eh.... :wink: