How’s this for a forward line?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

How’s this for a forward line?

HF: Battle, King, Bruce
F: Membrey, McCartin, Marshall

Maybe a bit tall? It just looks as though team balance may be an issue.

On the plus side, there’s going to be stiff competition for spots because I don’t think you can play five - arguably six - key forwards in the same set up.

I think it’s probably two of the above - at most - plus Membrey.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 23 Nov 2018 12:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: How’s this for a forward line?

There is tall and then there is tall - Members plays small as well - but we need some crumbers!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
older saint
SS Life Member

King too good not to take but will create a big problem moving forward . Someone will miss out , become unhappy get traded for a lesser value than talent had and excel when given chances elsewhere,

Bruce to CHB, Marshall, Membrey and Battle to start season for me with Long, Gresh and Billings as smalls

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 12:38pm HF: Battle, King, Bruce
Glacial.

Forward pressure zero.

Only 3 of those players can play in the same side.

chico2001
Club Player

Don't tell me you are going to have long, Lonie and Gresham all playing as midfielders? Very unbalanced and a question mark on a couple of those players. Apart from that....excellent..:)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 10:15pm Don't tell me you are going to have long, Lonie and Gresham all playing as midfielders? Very unbalanced and a question mark on a couple of those players. Apart from that....excellent..:)
In actual fact, I was highlighting that we have a glut of key forwards and say specifically that it’s two - at most - of McCartin, Bruce, Battle, King and Marshall in the same forward line.

I’d be starting the season with Bruce and Marshall as the key forwards, plus Membrey, then plus Billings and Lonie and maybe Gresham when he’s not in the midfield.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

King won't play seniors in 2019.
I see Battle, Skunk, Marshall, Gresh, Billings, maybe
McCartin, Pierce?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 24 Nov 2018 12:39am King won't play seniors in 2019.
I see Battle, Skunk, Marshall, Gresh, Billings, maybe
McCartin, Pierce?
100% he plays 2 or 3 games

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 23 Nov 2018 12:38pm HF: Battle, King, Bruce

Maybe a bit tall? It just looks as though team balance may be an issue.

On the plus side, there’s going to be stiff competition for spots because I don’t think you can play five - arguably six - key forwards in the same set up.

I think it’s probably two of the above - at most - plus Membrey.
Long and Gresham send hugs.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
groupie1
Club Player

We all see the problem... so here's a few ideas: Go for a Roo/Hamill/Gehrig set up: King/Bruce/Paddy. Then where does Membrey sit?
Or do we move Bruce elsewhere?

Marshall - can he play 1st ruck?

None of this will worry us next year. In 2020, when King begins playing, it will be interesting how Paddy has grown in the meantime and what has happened to Bruce, Battle, etc.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Winmar
Club Player

I'd play Membrey over Bruce. He's generally much more useful, except that he can't really be a relief ruck. If McCartin and King come good I can't see much of a future for Bruce, though I hope I'm wrong. King's youth will buy him a bit of time though. And who knows if Battle and Marshall will make it in the meantime.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote: Sat 24 Nov 2018 11:19am I'd play Membrey over Bruce. He's generally much more useful, except that he can't really be a relief ruck. If McCartin and King come good I can't see much of a future for Bruce, though I hope I'm wrong. King's youth will buy him a bit of time though. And who knows if Battle and Marshall will make it in the meantime.
Thing is, on exposed form Bruce is a far better key forward than McCartin. When’s McCartin kicked 50 goals in a season or five goals in a match?

Last season’s injury apart, Bruce has shown himself to be tougher and more resilient than Paddy.

IMO his injury last season was a key reason for our awful performance. The forward line sadly lacked the physical presence that a player like Bruce provides. Paddy may get there, but I haven’t seen a lot yet to persuade me he can stand up for a full season, let alone become a key goal kicker

saint-stu
Club Player

We will lose one or two of our key forwards over the years for little return due to lack of opportunity. I think the "choosing the best player" idea is not very smart for team balance.

1ac46a38
silverhalo
Club Player

Paddy will be trade bait at year's end.....a good position to be in having forwards competing for spots. Despite seemingly having a plethora of forwards, we didn't kick anywhere near enough winning scores this year so we still don't have that mix right (inaccurate kicking didn't help) .

saint-stu
Club Player

Could we use King in the ruck/foward role? He would probably be an upgrade on Marshall. Paddy and Membrey as the permanent forwards and maybe try Bruce in defence again. Bruce is better as a forward, but he's too good to waste and we now have far too many now.

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:Paddy will be trade bait at year's end.....a good position to be in having forwards competing for spots. Despite seemingly having a plethora of forwards, we didn't kick anywhere near enough winning scores this year so we still don't have that mix right (inaccurate kicking didn't help) .
We spent pick 1 on Paddy and he has lots of potential. I would rather keep him than bring in a weaker pick.

1ac46a38
chico2001
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sat 24 Nov 2018 11:58am
Winmar wrote: Sat 24 Nov 2018 11:19am I'd play Membrey over Bruce. He's generally much more useful, except that he can't really be a relief ruck. If McCartin and King come good I can't see much of a future for Bruce, though I hope I'm wrong. King's youth will buy him a bit of time though. And who knows if Battle and Marshall will make it in the meantime.
Thing is, on exposed form Bruce is a far better key forward than McCartin. When’s McCartin kicked 50 goals in a season or five goals in a match?

Last season’s injury apart, Bruce has shown himself to be tougher and more resilient than Paddy.

IMO his injury last season was a key reason for our awful performance. The forward line sadly lacked the physical presence that a player like Bruce provides. Paddy may get there, but I haven’t seen a lot yet to persuade me he can stand up for a full season, let alone become a key goal kicker
Agree with all that carl, I expect parker to muscle his way into that forward line, Long and Lonie might spend some time in the magoos I think

stkfc1
Club Player

I think.Bruce should be used on a wing ala Roo in his last few years. A big part of out problem this year (and for the last few years) is getting it out of our D50. Bruce is a great contested mark, can run all day and is a decent field kick. Use him as a marking link up player. He can rest forward, back wherever we need him as required to give others a spell. Need to think outside the box with him.