Ratta to shake up Saints forward half

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratta to shake up Saints forward half

Ratts our coach by round 6.

Make it happen!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So with the various line coaches how are the positions allocated; do the players line up and each coach gets a pick after setting a pecking order by way of rock paper scissors or does Brett get first six choices as senior assistant coach (SAC, phonetically = sack) ). A helpful rule change if Paddy is going back would be time outs so when his remote monitoring system shows a decline in energy he can be subbed. I have racked my pitiful memory but just can't recall G. Lyon being sincere in any advice to the Saints, actually his distaste should be declared whenever he commentates for full disclosure purposes, or remember him actually saying anything that has proven particularly clever. Not sure why he is a favourite with the footy broadcasters.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind the idea of giving Battle a crack down back while we have so many forwards to squeeze in.

He's an aggressive beast, good mark, reads the game well, he could play a Sam Fisher type role if he built his tank up. Fisher came as a forward too from memory.

I've got no time for pure stoppers like Brown in our side any more, everyone needs to have some form of offensive mind-set so it's not just left up to a few to move the ball out of our back line.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If this McCartin / Bruce talk to the backline is true then we are in more trouble than we imagined.

We have Carlisle, Brown, Roberton, Austin and Clavarino.

If two relatively senior players at our club cannot make the seniors in the forward line, they are list cloggers and should not be tried in positions that others are better equipped to fill.

If there's any truth to this, then we are picking up King! Meaning the development of Battle and Marshall will be stunted & the value of McCartin & Bruce diminished. Diminished because the club has flagged they don't see any value or hope in them making a key forward spot their own.

I personally think it's rubbish, McCartin & Bruce will (or should) be given 2019 to prove themselves as AFL forwards. Otherwise they should have been traded this year. Then picking up King (if available) would make sense.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

If Ratta gets more out of guys like Billings, Lonie and Long then we will be well on the way to having a pretty good year.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
outside66
Club Player

dragit wrote: Tue 13 Nov 2018 10:54pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 13 Nov 2018 9:03pm I do. Its now in. Raaaaattttttaaaa
I reckon to coin a successful new nickname for someone it probably needs to be more than one letter different to the nickname they have had for 30 or so years.
TipRatt?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 11:37am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 13 Nov 2018 9:03pm I do. Its now in. Raaaaattttttaaaa
I reckon to coin a successful new nickname for someone it probably needs to be more than one letter different to the nickname they have had for 30 or so years.
TipRatt?
I fink that one is taken, but hopefully cho' gets the RatSak sooner than later.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 10:09am If this McCartin / Bruce talk to the backline is true then we are in more trouble than we imagined.

We have Carlisle, Brown, Roberton, Austin and Clavarino.

If two relatively senior players at our club cannot make the seniors in the forward line, they are list cloggers and should not be tried in positions that others are better equipped to fill.

If there's any truth to this, then we are picking up King! Meaning the development of Battle and Marshall will be stunted & the value of McCartin & Bruce diminished. Diminished because the club has flagged they don't see any value or hope in them making a key forward spot their own.

I personally think it's rubbish, McCartin & Bruce will (or should) be given 2019 to prove themselves as AFL forwards. Otherwise they should have been traded this year. Then picking up King (if available) would make sense.
Are you sure you aren't adding 1 + 1 and getting 3.1415926

Would we be claiming it is genius or progressive if it was Alastair Clarkson.

We aren't selecting King.

spert
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 10:09am If Ratta gets more out of guys like Billings, Lonie and Long then we will be well on the way to having a pretty good year.
I reckon Lonie was doing OK later in this season, and we do need to get more out of Long and Billings on the scoreboard. No good having flash players if they can't kick goals.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Heaven help us if we are relying on Lonie to drag us up the ladder.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
outside66
Club Player

dragit wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 11:59am
outside66 wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 11:37am
TipRatt?
I fink that one is taken, but hopefully cho' gets the RatSak sooner than later.
Nah, Richo will be right.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’ve got Bruce and Marshall ahead of Paddy as key forwards at the minute.

We really missed the physical presence and leadership that Bruce provides and I reckon it was a key factor in our pitiful season. Marshall is a big guy who can throw his weight around a bit, too.

So I’ve got those two, plus in-between-size Membrey. Plus Lonie as a useful goal kicker. Plus Billings. His kicking will turn around.

Gresh looks like he’s bound for the midfield, which is good. He’s too talented to spend his career as a goalsneak, particularly when our midfield lacks class, pace and vision.

Paddy needs to be made to earn his chance and then grab the opportunity if he’s good enough. Teams need to be picked on form and ability, not draft position.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bruce is our only proven key forward...
The only one that has shown he is capable of holding down the spot full time

Membrey is the next closest thing but he’s the type of player that tends to exploit the matchup or benefit+++ from delivery to his advantage.

Any idea to move them away from the forward line is foolhardy and delusional at the moment IMO

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 5:19pm Bruce is our only proven key forward...

Membrey is the next closest thing but he’s the type of player that tends to exploit the matchup or benefit+++ from delivery to his advantage.

Any idea to move them away from the forward line is foolhardy and delusional at the moment IMO
For the amount of F50 entries that Bruce is the recipient of he has been very underwhelming since 2015 - 4 years ago when next season starts. I have Membrey comfortably ahead of Bruce right now.

Bruce was terrible in the backline, doesn't get much of the ball around the ground, so unless he gets his skates on and starts kicking goals again he'll be traded or delisted, particularly if we draft another tall forward.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So Membrey isn't a proven forward? Id' say he's a fully paid up member of the forwards club. And Bruce is the logical choice for experimenting with positions outside F50. Happy for you to call me a fool and disillusion for disagreeing with you.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 6:46pm

So Membrey isn't a proven forward? Id' say he's a fully paid up member of the forwards club. And Bruce is the logical choice for experimenting with positions outside F50. Happy for you to call me a fool and disillusion for disagreeing with you.
Key forward. I’m obviously not advocating for Membrey to be moved to defence and to stay in the forward line if he’s not a forward.

Bruce is the logical choice to be moved into defence or as a utility because he’s more established then Paddy in any position. He’s also the better forward at the moment too.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 10:09am If Ratta gets more out of guys like Billings, Lonie and Long then we will be well on the way to having a pretty good year.
Hi Ted, I was just wondering about the source of your great confidence in Alfred E Neuman???

Did nothing at Carlscum, despite having a relatively strong team. (Remember, he was party to selling the future to get hold of Chris Chicken-Wing.) And if his coaching has now improved since those days, then outta' all the choices the Dawks had, why did they pick Alfred to move-on to make room for Mitchell?

Now, should your man actually succeed in getting more out of the likes of Billings, Lonie and Long... then, fan-bloody-tastic! :D

But the question then arises: What is it actually that we are paying Richo' $500K-odd p.a. to do??? (It's clearly not to give rousing speeches to the troops, or to the fan base.) :?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 6:18pm

For the amount of F50 entries that Bruce is the recipient of he has been very underwhelming since 2015 - 4 years ago when next season starts. I have Membrey comfortably ahead of Bruce right now.

Bruce was terrible in the backline, doesn't get much of the ball around the ground, so unless he gets his skates on and starts kicking goals again he'll be traded or delisted, particularly if we draft another tall forward.
He’s still been better than Paddy, Marshall and Battle

Harves Man
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote: Wed 14 Nov 2018 8:27pm
But the question then arises: What is it actually that we are paying Richo' $500K-odd p.a. to do??? (It's clearly not to give rousing speeches to the troops, or to the fan base.) :?
Dave Mac, these 2 sentences alone just cracked me up! Nice to have a giggle in the workplace.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

We should try Battle up on the wing. He'd be a matchup nightmare. He's a better runner than most mids and he has most of them covered for height as well. The only questions would be ground level contribution and defence. Considering we play Newnes and Sinclair on the wing a lot, I'm not sure he wouldn't be an upgrade defensively.

I'd start with Paddy at Sandy, but I don't believe we'll do that. He'll probably kick 1.2 in our last preseason game which will be pleasing and positive enough for him to get the nod ahead of Bruce.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Every time Bruce has played in the backline he has been awful. Every time.

And his field kicking is average.

He's either playing forward or playing for Sandy.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Agree, when selected a team, Bruce and Membrey are well ahead of the other marking forward options. Then there's one spot left for Marshall, McCartin and Battle in the forward line. They've all shown glimpses but right now I'd pick Marshall since he can provide genuine ruck relief. I'd be happy to see Battle played as a wingman who pushes forward when Marshall goes into the ruck as well. Paddy misses out due to lack of versatility.

HF: Billings, Marshall, Gresham
F: Long, Bruce, Membrey

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm a Battle fan but weren't there question marks over his agility which might be a barrier to him playing on the wing?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 8:05am I'm a Battle fan but weren't there question marks over his agility which might be a barrier to him playing on the wing?
I watched him a bit when he was young.

Good hands, very nice kick, hard at it, great endurance but has the turning circle of the Queen Mary, really lacks agility.

This is why he went @36, he wasn’t a slider IMO.

Personally I don’t see him making it at AFL level though I hope I’m wrong.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 9:16am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 8:05am I'm a Battle fan but weren't there question marks over his agility which might be a barrier to him playing on the wing?
I watched him a bit when he was young.

Good hands, very nice kick, hard at it, great endurance but has the turning circle of the Queen Mary, really lacks agility.

This is why he went @36, he wasn’t a slider IMO.

Personally I don’t see him making it at AFL level though I hope I’m wrong.
Yes Corfe, all what you say there is correct re under 18's, I to saw a lot of him at the Dandy and watched him closely as a lad close to me played on him a couple of times and comprehensively beat him!!!!!

Also, he used to get ahead of himself a little, if you know what I mean!!!!!

Will be interesting how it all pans out for Josh!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯