Our next captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Our next captain

IMHO. Seb seems to have become the face and voice of the club.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2018-10-25/ross-on-china

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Our next captain

Might, just might, have something to do with Gears being on his honeymoon and Seb doing what vice-captains are meant to do.

Saint supporter since '62
resaintlee
Club Player

I think I would prefer Steele now

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Whoever has the highest standards and is the least compromising

Nee!
Saintly66
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Sat 27 Oct 2018 3:42pm Whoever has the highest standards and is the least compromising
Come on down Dan!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

My tip is that Dan will be injured for half the season next year

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... a783ba2191

ST KILDA

Speaking of low-profile skippers, who can name the Saints captain without reading the next paragraph?

To say Jarryn Geary goes about his work with a minimum of fuss is an understatement, but he has finished top five in the B&F in his two years in the job and you can’t question his commitment to the cause.

But even Geary has admitted the title of captain doesn’t sit comfortably with him after taking over from legend Nick Riewoldt.

If the Saints want a higher-profile leader, four-time best-and-fairest winner Jack Steven is the obvious candidate — if he wants the job. Steven was a member of the leadership group this year but doesn’t exactly jump at media opportunities.

Seb Ross would be a safe choice.

stkfc1
Club Player

Seb Capt
Steele VC
Leadership Steven Hanners Geary Carlisle Robbo.

chico2001
Club Player

So when is the current St Kilda captain going to be replaced then? Was there a vote of no confidence in him?

I haven't heard of any news anywhere that there is going to be " a next captain" maybe someone can contact the club and find out and let us know.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm on record ever since Geary was appointed to replace Nick Riewoldt as captain that this was a poor decision, irrespective of the players choosing him. This report in the Hun that he was not particularly comfortable to take on that role sends a clear signal to the club that Geary should be replaced in 2019. It is one thing to say that Geary deserves to be captain given his years of loyal commitment as a Saint, yet quite another to question his automatic selection each week because he's the skipper when his performance is inferior to other HB flankers, of which the Saints have an abundance.

My money is on Seb Ross - he has become an accomplished mid-fielder, and rarely misses out on being in the BOG group, verging on AA selection. In addition, unlike Jack Steven, Ross performs confidently in the media spotlight, as was apparent when he represented the players on the China announcement this week. Appointing Seb Ross as the next St Kilda captain will indicate that the club is looking to the next generation of players to take the club to a successful future.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 12:23pm I'm on record ever since Geary was appointed to replace Nick Riewoldt as captain that this was a poor decision, irrespective of the players choosing him. This report in the Hun that he was not particularly comfortable to take on that role sends a clear signal to the club that Geary should be replaced in 2019. It is one thing to say that Geary deserves to be captain given his years of loyal commitment as a Saint, yet quite another to question his automatic selection each week because he's the skipper when his performance is inferior to other HB flankers, of which the Saints have an abundance.

My money is on Seb Ross - he has become an accomplished mid-fielder, and rarely misses out on being in the BOG group, verging on AA selection. In addition, unlike Jack Steven, Ross performs confidently in the media spotlight, as was apparent when he represented the players on the China announcement this week. Appointing Seb Ross as the next St Kilda captain will indicate that the club is looking to the next generation of players to take the club to a successful future.
Agree wholeheartedly!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Steele, Ross, Steven, Hannebery, Geary = leadership group.

Its an exciting group.

Seb Ross to become captain in 2019 or 2020.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
chico2001
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 12:23pm I'm on record ever since Geary was appointed to replace Nick Riewoldt as captain that this was a poor decision, irrespective of the players choosing him. This report in the Hun that he was not particularly comfortable to take on that role sends a clear signal to the club that Geary should be replaced in 2019. It is one thing to say that Geary deserves to be captain given his years of loyal commitment as a Saint, yet quite another to question his automatic selection each week because he's the skipper when his performance is inferior to other HB flankers, of which the Saints have an abundance.

No doubt Geary has not shone in his capacity as a captain and not playing all that well either. If he does lose the captaincy he will struggle to get a game in the 1's and it will be a major slap in the face. Seb Ross has been maligned on here for poor disposal and offered up as trade bait by posters. All of a sudden he is back in favour after a push for him and his 2nd in the B&F.

stkfc1
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 12:26pm

Agree wholeheartedly!
+1 The fact Geary has said that he wasnt that comfortable with the captaincy originally, doesn't sit well with me. We need someone who relishes the opportunity and wants it wholeheartedly.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Further point. No doubt Simon Lethlean thoroughly reviewed this area. It would be interesting to see what he came up with regarding Geary as skipper.

It was a clear decision to bring in A grade leaders like Dan Hannerbrey and Billy Slater to the club as leadership was an issue overall.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I’m happy for Geary to be captain...

of the 2s

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

don't really see any other obvious candidate at the moment. but very stupid of the club to strip nick of the captaincy so close to the afl alltime record. he deserved that accolade given his service to the club, and especially so given the lack of a good replacement.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 1:29pm I’m happy for Geary to be captain...

of the 2s
Course you would, that's how distant you are with what really happens at the level!!!!!

Turkish Roll!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Tommyj
Club Player

I know many of you disagree but Carlisle for me but I read an article about him not long ago from his old footy coach was great with the the kids and had very good leadership skills

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 12:36pm

No doubt Geary has not shone in his capacity as a captain and not playing all that well either. If he does lose the captaincy he will struggle to get a game in the 1's and it will be a major slap in the face. Seb Ross has been maligned on here for poor disposal and offered up as trade bait by posters. All of a sudden he is back in favour after a push for him and his 2nd in the B&F.
Only been maligned on here by posters who wouldn't know a good footballer from their own arseholes.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 12:31pm Steele, Ross, Steven, Hannebery, Geary = leadership group.

Its an exciting group.
You gotta laugh!

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Would like Gresh in the Leadership Group!

PADDLEPOP1000
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 2:02pm

of the 2s
Course you would, that's how distant you are with what really happens at the level!!!!!

Turkish Roll!!!!!
How many other teams would Geary be getting a game at? Tries hard, but skills are ordinary, which I feel has had a trickle down effect on the rest of our club the passed 2 seasons.

Name an AFL captain in recent memory that Geary is a better player than. I’ll wait.

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 6:57pm

of the 2s

Turkish Roll!!!!!
How many other teams would Geary be getting a game at? Tries hard, but skills are ordinary, which I feel has had a trickle down effect on the rest of our club the passed 2 seasons.

Name an AFL captain in recent memory that Geary is a better player than. I’ll wait.
Easy, and a premiership captain at that: Maxwell!!!!!

Well we are at it, Geary would play at West Coast, Collingwood and Richmond, so automatic selection at most if not all clubs!!!!!!

Highly rated in the AFL!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 9:47pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 6:57pm

of the 2s

Turkish Roll!!!!!

Easy, and a premiership captain at that: Maxwell!!!!!

Well we are at it, Geary would play at West Coast, Collingwood and Richmond, so automatic selection at most if not all clubs!!!!!!

Highly rated in the AFL!!!!!
As much as I dislike Maxwell, and think he wasn’t anything special, he was a better and much more effective player than Geary.

Geary wouldn’t even get a look in at half the sides in the AFL, but I’m not surprised someone who rates Longer so highly would disagree :wink: