More factional than ever

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

More factional than ever

In the eleven years I've been posting on Saintsational, I don't recall it ever being as factional as it right now.

Sure, there has always been a balance of the glass "half-full" and "half-empties," but never has it been this close to a declaration of keyboard warfare.

On one extreme end, there are the so-called "pessimists" who are experiencing such a level disenchantment with the club, they're unlikely to be even remotely content with any outcome the club provides (I admit that I'm more in this camp).

On the other extreme end, there are the so-called "optimists" who frown so deeply at any criticism levelled at the club, no matter how warranted or objective it may be, that they respond by attacking the posters character, accusing them of being "disloyal" or not a "true supporter."

Then, there are plenty in middle, some leaning more to one side than the other.

Don't worry, I know just as bad as those that I'm criticising, but the one thing that is blatantly obvious and I'm one of many who has had a hand in this, is that Saintsational is becoming less about the St. Kilda FC and more about being an outlet for posters to flex their keyboard muscle. Both sides antagonise each other, neither are the good guys and neither party through their stubborn commitment to their own personal ideology are doing the club any great service.

This is only supposed to be a fan forum after all, not a political party.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: More factional than ever

Human nature dictates that when we are unhappy about something that we have little control over, and have strong opinions on how to fix it- when folks disagree with us, it snowballs.

Nobody likes being told they're wrong, and it descends into angry viotriol.
We aren't civilised enough to debate properly.

We just get personal.
I've done it myself several times (and gotten banned from here too)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I blame richo.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I blame Trout.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
gwiltyascharged
Club Player

OP has a point but is he from the People's Front of Judea or the Judean People's Front?
Declare your allegiance ye man of the North.
Last edited by gwiltyascharged on Tue 23 Oct 2018 11:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitars4
Club Player

I blame my ol man because he was a St.Kilda supporter & if had barracked for someone else I wouldn't even be on this site :wink:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

The optimists believe that 2018 was a blip and that with a few tweaks we will continue to build on 2016/17
The pessimists believe that 2018 shows where we are really at and that radical change is required

I believe that deep down, the bulk of St Kilda fans are generally optimistic - always thinking that next year will be better. But a lot of those optimists have flipped to the dark side. They feel their trust in the club has been betrayed- and betrayal leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth. The club needs to win back some trust and the optimists will come flooding back.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

it's all Stingers fault

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Tue 23 Oct 2018 9:12pm I blame richo.
i blame you!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 23 Oct 2018 9:45pm it's all Stingers fault
and you :roll: :arrow: :mrgreen:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
asiu
Saintsational Legend

he started it

:)

1965 Saint
Club Player

So why don’t we just re-group, agree to respect each other’s opinions and get on with posting objective opinions about the team we love? It will facilitate much more intelligent conversation and also make it much more obvious when trolls infiltrate our beloved forum. They can then be summarily dealt with in record time, no doubt to the delight of the genuine forumites

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I don't see a problem

Most of us here post on BF where we happily lick each other's balls or the female equivalent of and here we vent and stab each other in the back and try and rile each other up

It's all healthy in a fkd up kind of way :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Tue 23 Oct 2018 8:40pm In the eleven years I've been posting on Saintsational, I don't recall it ever being as factional as it right now.

Sure, there has always been a balance of the glass "half-full" and "half-empties," but never has it been this close to a declaration of keyboard warfare.

On one extreme end, there are the so-called "pessimists" who are experiencing such a level disenchantment with the club, they're unlikely to be even remotely content with any outcome the club provides (I admit that I'm more in this camp).

On the other extreme end, there are the so-called "optimists" who frown so deeply at any criticism levelled at the club, no matter how warranted or objective it may be, that they respond by attacking the posters character, accusing them of being "disloyal" or not a "true supporter."

Then, there are plenty in middle, some leaning more to one side than the other.

Don't worry, I know just as bad as those that I'm criticising, but the one thing that is blatantly obvious and I'm one of many who has had a hand in this, is that Saintsational is becoming less about the St. Kilda FC and more about being an outlet for posters to flex their keyboard muscle. Both sides antagonise each other, neither are the good guys and neither party through their stubborn commitment to their own personal ideology are doing the club any great service.

This is only supposed to be a fan forum after all, not a political party.
I reckon the mid 2000s was a wild time on this board, the internet was relatively new and social media didn't even have a name. It was like the UFC of forums. There were no rules and really the generation of posters back then were pioneers. Arguably society is still adapting to the internet and social media and how to engage and behave. But I digress, I'm curious, are you familiar with my musings on this board?, if so which camp would you categorise me into?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

"A mature society understands that at the heart of democracy is argument."
Salman Rushdie

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 8:55am "A mature society understands that at the heart of democracy is argument."
Salman Rushdie
You are one of the most intentionally fundamentalist single view posters on here. There are aint no discussion with you.
I reckon you're a bit of a troll. You revel in conflict and deliberately post to inflame and create friction.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Negative. I just post things that people obviously can't handle and I'm a bit more postive and optimistic than others regarding the club. That is why I get vitriol come back my way.

I thought you blocked me or whatever you can do on here anyway? How did you read my post?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I've been up and down optimistic since we won our one and only premiership 51 YEARS AGO. I reserve the right to be totally bloody pessimistic after this season just gone.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 9:41am Negative. I just post things that people obviously can't handle and I'm a bit more postive and optimistic than others regarding the club. That is why I get vitriol come back my way.

I thought you blocked me or whatever you can do on here anyway? How did you read my post?
"Whatever you can do on here anyway"......as though you don't know what ignore is. Carry on with your game of pretending to be a newbie. It's totally transparent. You revel in the game. It's why you're posting. #Sad.

Yep I have you on ignore which is much better. There is still though, with people on ignore, the option to read something they post. It has to be deliberately selected rather than everything they post being automatically available.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

so

have we concluded
(via group think)
that
Stonecold did not kill Bluthy
during the carpark meet n greet
and
therefore
did not dispose of the body

Stoney is innocent
Bluthy is alive

am i close ?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 9:41am Negative. I just post things that people obviously can't handle and I'm a bit more postive and optimistic than others regarding the club. That is why I get vitriol come back my way.

Some posters tell lies mate.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I can handle your posts..you're funny. they are rubbish but funny :)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 10:58am

Some posters tell lies mate.
Long love irony!

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Lies. That is one area I don't muck around in.

Still don't understand how someone says they have blocked me but still read my posts and comment on them. Am I missing something?

Total = 1.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I like to think most are realistic on here. There are Doom and gloomers and rose coloured glass wearers but most see our club for what it is. We are in trouble at present and most feel with Richo in charge is a mistake.

Positives
board is doing and not just talking.
Players being cut who are list cloggers,
coaching staff changes and staff on notice (Richo for sure),
Billy F#@king Slater - best lateral thinking signing. This guy is a machine. He oozes hard work, dedication, courage and winning. He hates to lose and will not accept anything less than 100%
Pick 4 in a superdraft "should" equal gun. Should and don't blame the pick if we choose incorrectly e.g. Broken full forward who doesn't kick straight; or worse trade it out
Ratten may be a great get. He had a 50% winning ratio with Carlton which is good considering their list but he has a similar problem that Richo has. No plan B. Run and gun from memory and that was it. Clarko would have changed this for him you would hope and he should now have a plan A, B , C & D
Several Green Root that may sprout big time this year and a fair few debuts in 2018. Hunter Clarke played OK for first year in a terrible team, Coffield not as impressive but still has a lot of upside. Long was looking good before injury. Paton, Phillips, Battle, Rice all looked OK out there and should all improve
Players returning from injuries - Roberton, Long, Paddy, Bruce

Negatives,
Our team. Not one elite player
Our team. No player in top 50 players lists (some lists have Steven at about 45-50 but not many)
Basic Skills are woeful. Seriously take our old skills coach and chain him to the tree of woe
Players out of position. Some one look at our players skills and play them accordingly. Sinclair is not good in a defensive position. Look at Steele, they finally realised a hard running tackling machine may be able to tag. Well done which ever coach realised this
Trading & Drafting of players. Kent - never heard of him but he was cheap so pass mark. Dan Hannenberry???? I have not read an article that has this trade as being unders for us in salary or the length was right
Trading out pick 4. ---DDDDOOONNNTTTT. Back yourself and get it wrong but don't trade it out and look back and wonder what if. As per previous threads Smith, Rankine or Lukosious will be available. Get any one. I have a preference but I don't care as long as we get one.
Richo - all but 2 or 3 50+ game players stalled or went back this year, no plan B, selects favourites as opposed to guys who need/earned games.
Playing in China. WTF. We couldn't make it work in NZ, why would china be different