Is That All There Is?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is That All There Is?

sunsaint wrote: Tue 16 Oct 2018 4:51pm
rodgerfox wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 9:08pm
sunsaint wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 5:29pm
rodgerfox wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 4:07pm Being 'active' in trade week can be quite overrated.

The way I see it, the only clubs that have lured A-Graders in recent years have been Collingwood (Treloar), Essendon (Shiel & Smith), Hawthorn (Mitchell), Richmond (Lynch), Melbourne (Lever), Geelong (Dangerfield) and us (Carlisle).

It's a bit of a typical Saints fan meltdown to be shocked and outraged about not being able to get A-Graders. It's not like 17 other clubs do it every single year.
on ya Rodge -- Im not sure if you are playing contrary for a reason - but the post amused me anyway
SInce our signing of carlisle we have been "active" in building our list
We have gone out and got the A list of management staff
We are dangling the carrot of a state of the art brand new facility at Linton st
and we have that War chest that can afford us to pay overs to lure big fish

Nothing that has come out of the club now for several trade periods would suggest anything but us being "active" in sorting out our list. Are you disagreeing with the club?
Sorry, I'm confused by your post. Not sure what your point is or what you're asking me.
sorry I dont live here so I missed this
the way I see it the club has been VERY active in trying to attract A grade talent since Carlisle (who has been massive in our list but never Agrade by the way)
Can you think of a big name player that we havent had a "word" to? The club has been linked to so many players over the years, its just the whispers are falling on deaf ears.
While I do agree with the sentiment that it is hard to get an ex-captain or club legend AAs to move - it does happen - it usually takes a bucket load of cash (you missed the obvious one in Abblett) The exodus from clubs like Giants and Suns could only be described as a hemorrhage. In the meantime I can remember the ridicule thrown at Hawthorn for the Omeara trade - pure madness was the general consensus - they move on club stalwarts like Hodge Mitchell & Lewis - and here they are still playing finals.

The bit where i couldnt decide if you were taking the mickey - was the meltdown comment - surely you cant have a go at fans if the club falls short of snagging the big fish year after year.
The club has been active in trying to get players - but not active in turning over huge numbers of players for the sake of it.

The OP spoke about us not being active. I think being 'active' is usually pretty overrated.

As for your last sentence, as I said:

"The way I see it, the only clubs that have lured A-Graders in recent years have been Collingwood (Treloar), Essendon (Shiel & Smith), Hawthorn (Mitchell), Richmond (Lynch), Melbourne (Lever), Geelong (Dangerfield) and us (Carlisle).

It's a bit of a typical Saints fan meltdown to be shocked and outraged about not being able to get A-Graders. It's not like 17 other clubs do it every single year."

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Re: Is That All There Is?

So no big recruits,ok then.
What about some mission statement about attitude and
Improved application for next year then ? That costs precisely zero. Nup. Nothin.