Hickey to Wet Coke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Re: Hickey to Wet Coke

skeptic wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 2:31pm
David-Lee wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 2:20pm Recruiters are firing up again and their finest is on display....hey take a really decent ruckman for our some sh!te pick #39 , oh and wait, let us give you our pick #60 because we are so scared we won't get that f@cking valuable pick #39!!!!!!!

If any club member can see this trade and regardless of the player not see how pathetic the team has become you're blind.
The denial is alarming isn’t it..?

The thing is, it’s not about Hickey per’se... it’s about the deal. We should have been able to leverage that.

All these threads about hating Essendon and Deldaro (or whatever his f’ing name is)...
Do ppl understand why we hate him... it’s because he WINS. He gets players to go to that club and he bends over the seller/buyer to get them to overbuy or undersell.

Essendon have won every trade they’ve done with us in the last 10 years... a first rounder for Lovett, they got more than they should have been able to for Carlisle considering he wanted to go and nominated us... and Goddard, well they landed a excellent free agent which we have yet to be able to do.

If you’re not concerned that they get results like this and we’re making mediocre deals like this... blind as they come
Surely you’re not serious about them winning the Carlisle trade? The same one that got us Gresham as well?

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:03pm Hickeys dog is gonna be heartbroken. Anyone think of their welfare?
Nah, pick 39 + bonuses is fair.
We need some pick leverage.
We didn't get bonuses though, we upgraded a pick 60 into 39 and downgraded a 4th rounder next year.

A putrid return.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:03pm pick 39 + bonuses is fair.
What bonuses?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ss1986
Club Player

dragit wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:09pm
St Loxton wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:03pm Hickeys dog is gonna be heartbroken. Anyone think of their welfare?
We didn't get bonuses though, we upgraded a pick 60 into 39 and downgraded a 4th rounder next year.

A putrid return.
EXACTLY. We gave them Hickey, which is what they wanted, AND the steak knives for Pick 39.

It's not about the value of Hickey, or the picks. It's about the principal. WE held the bargaining power, and yet ended up giving more than we should have. Putrid.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:05pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 3:44pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 3:42pm
saintsRrising wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 3:16pm WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

- WCE Tom Hickey, pick 60 and St Kilda's future fourth round pick.
- St Kilda, get pick 39 and a future fourth round pick (and their puck will be above ours!!!!grrrr).

So that is Hickey for what the equivalent of high 40's pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bent over big time. So much for Lethlean being the new wonder kid.

I fear for the Hannebery trade cost now.

PS: We gained a pick 21 for Stanley.....
As per usual, overstating Hickledik's ability, we came out on Top in the deal, simple!!!!!
Exactly where in that paragraph has he “overstated” Hickey’s ability?

#39 and bent over!!!!!
skeptic wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 3:58pm People appear to be having a hard time differentiating ability and value
Rest my case

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:06pm
David-Lee wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 2:20pm Recruiters are firing up again and their finest is on display....hey take a really decent ruckman for our some sh!te pick #39 , oh and wait, let us give you our pick #60 because we are so scared we won't get that f@cking valuable pick #39!!!!!!!

If any club member can see this trade and regardless of the player not see how pathetic the team has become you're blind.

The thing is, it’s not about Hickey per’se... it’s about the deal. We should have been able to leverage that.

All these threads about hating Essendon and Deldaro (or whatever his f’ing name is)...
Do ppl understand why we hate him... it’s because he WINS. He gets players to go to that club and he bends over the seller/buyer to get them to overbuy or undersell.

Essendon have won every trade they’ve done with us in the last 10 years... a first rounder for Lovett, they got more than they should have been able to for Carlisle considering he wanted to go and nominated us... and Goddard, well they landed a excellent free agent which we have yet to be able to do.

If you’re not concerned that they get results like this and we’re making mediocre deals like this... blind as they come
Surely you’re not serious about them winning the Carlisle trade? The same one that got us Gresham as well?
Just to be clear... not saying we lost the trade or the outcome was bad... I’m talking about what we gave up to get an uncontracted player that nominated us.

We gave up a first rounder... if roles were reversed, Essendon would have made us trade their second, much like Collingwood shafted us with Ball.

There’s a very clear trick to dealing with the Saints... low ball us, say you won’t budge and watch us fold

ss1986
Club Player

dragit wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:09pm

A putrid return.
In fact, we didnt upgrade pick 60 to pick 39 at all.

We gave Hickey AND Pick 60, for Pick 39.

stonecold
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:15pm

- St Kilda, get pick 39 and a future fourth round pick (and their puck will be above ours!!!!grrrr).

As per usual, overstating Hickledik's ability, we came out on Top in the deal, simple!!!!!

#39 and bent over!!!!!
skeptic wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 3:58pm People appear to be having a hard time differentiating ability and value
Rest my case
Rest your case?????

Really?????

I've been saying for years, Hickledik no good for St.Kilda, guess what????? Tom GONE!!!!!

Game, Set, Match, Stonecold!!!!!

Any other opinions are Irrelevant!!!!!

Game Over!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I really thought we had a decent ruckman in Hickey in 2016, but he just faded into near obscurity. I think we did really well in finding a suitor who was willing to give up as much as a second-round pick. Hickey would be pretty stoked to be joining the reigning premiers and bask in the Perth sunshine. It's a win-win for both the club and Hickey. If WCE can turn him into a good, consistent ruckman, then I'll tip my hat to them.
Last edited by Sainternist on Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

IF nothing else
this trade has been an interesting exercise in those posters that can sort the rational thought from the delusional

Seeya
damienc
Club Player

This guy couldn't get a regular game with St Kilda.

Not good for him or us.

It is slightly bemusing that he couldn't get a game with a team that won only 4.5 games only to be traded to the reigning premiers who clearly want him.

I know he's a back up for Nick Nat but there is a certain amount of irony in this trade.

I wish him well with his new club.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The fact is Hickey has played one good game since 2016. The third man up Rule absolutely stuffed him. At best he's a second ruckman that's capable of pinch hitting as a forward. Marshall is already bettter than him in that regard.

West Coast offer 39 (a second rounder in a so called superdraft) when they could get Roughead for nothing and people want us to knock it back. Who gives a toss about pick 60 or downgrading a future FOURTH pick. Its a good deal, a better deal would've been nice but ridiculous.

We can use 39 on Hannebery and keep the future second, use it in another trade or get in a player of more long term value than Hickey.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 5:17pm The fact is Hickey has played one good game since 2016. The third man up Rule absolutely stuffed him. At best he's a second ruckman that's capable of pinch hitting as a forward. Marshall is already bettter than him in that regard.

West Coast offer 39 (a second rounder in a so called superdraft) when they could get Roughead for nothing and people want us to knock it back. Who gives a toss about pick 60 or downgrading a future FOURTH pick. Its a good deal, a better deal would've been nice but ridiculous.

We can use 39 on Hannebery and keep the future second, use it in another trade or get in a player of more long term value than Hickey.
Take it easy with the 'Common Sense' mate, you'll upset the Animals even more!!!!! ;)

Mark this date down as the start of St.Kilda becoming a Power!!!!!

St Loxton
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 5:31pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 5:17pm The fact is Hickey has played one good game since 2016. The third man up Rule absolutely stuffed him. At best he's a second ruckman that's capable of pinch hitting as a forward. Marshall is already bettter than him in that regard.

Take it easy with the 'Common Sense' mate, you'll upset the Animals even more!!!!! ;)

Mark this date down as the start of St.Kilda becoming a Power!!!!!

I'm with this. Hickey would have been superseded by the end of 2019.

StPeter
Club Player

This is a shocking deal.

I am so disappointed with the club. Getting rid of our number one ruckman for almost nothing!

I could have accepted it if it had been Longer but seems no one wants him.

We have been screwed over again.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:58pm I really thought we had a decent ruckman in Hickey in 2016, but he just faded into near obscurity. I think we did really well in finding a suitor who was willing to give up as much as a second-round pick. Hickey would be pretty stoked to be joining the reigning premiers and bask in the Perth sunshine. It's a win-win for both the club and Hickey. If WCE can turn him into a good, consistent ruckman, then I'll tip my hat to them.
I am furious at the club for giving up the opportunity to get a pick in the low 20s for this trade. Opportunity gone begging. But I am going to go with a glass half full approach: Pick #39 will go to Sydney for Hannebury or Melbourne for Kent anyway.

Hickey would be rapt. He will now get a game every week at a strong club, in an excellent coaching system, as Lycett is gone and Natanui won't play next year. He just needs to not get injured (which he is prone to do let's be honest) and he will be right. St. Kilda now don't have to worry about which ruckman to play every week. That will now be Longer (if he gets another contract), with Pierce to keep developing, and Marshall will play at Full Forward offering the chop out in the ruck. No more gifted games to Paddy, because Bruce will be back and we also have Battle.

If Lonie stays he will need to keep building on his reasonable form in the last month of this season, because he will have stiff competition from Long and Kent to keep his place.

I would really prefer it if none of the players coming out of contract were re-signed to be honest (apart from Lonie) although I can see a scenario where Longer is re-signed. Also needs to be more of a turnover with our assistant coaches.

Get Roberton back, pick Rankine at #4 in the draft, hopefully more improvement from Gresh, Billings, Acres and Ross, a more consistent season from Big Jake, and we will gradually improve. I liked what I saw from Coffield, Clarke, Phillips and Rice, so there's a bit to work with.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Tom, good luck in your journey out west.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

#39 and bent over!!!!!
Effectively the Premiers have gained Hickey, Pick 20ish, Pick 60 and say Pick 60 or next year.
They have lost Lycett, Pick 39 and say Pick almost 80 odd next year.

West Coast must be feeling very pleased with themselves. Even more so in that they like running mobile rucks.

I would see Hickey and Lycett as comparable.

Stanley and 60 were swapped for pick 21.

Hickey and 60 plus say a 10 point downgrade of our fourth (early fourth is more likely to be of value than a late fourth) for 39 is unders for Hickey IMO.

I would guess that the Saints were desperate for a second round pick as part of the Hannebery deal and that the WCE knew this and used it to their full advantage.

How good this trade is or isn't will for me be tied to what we end up trading to get Hannebery with.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
derby Street
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:19pm
Harvey To Hayes wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:06pm

Just to be clear... not saying we lost the trade or the outcome was bad... I’m talking about what we gave up to get an uncontracted player that nominated us.

We gave up a first rounder... if roles were reversed, Essendon would have made us trade their second, much like Collingwood shafted us with Ball.

There’s a very clear trick to dealing with the Saints... low ball us, say you won’t budge and watch us fold
Have you forgotten that Hawthorn were hot on his tail - that forced our hand.

lefty
Club Player

This is by far the worst trade deal ever. We got royally ripped a new one giving away our best ruck for pick 39, which inturn will probably turn out to be a spud.

I'm mega pissed off about this trade. We gave gold coast pick 13 for Hickey. FFS. Not only that, we gave up a second rounder for Freeman and then delist him once he's over his hamstring problems. And we keep Longer who can't take a mark in the forward 50.

It's a great joke and then they have the balls to ring me up asking for $200. Richo going to have a hard time in 2019, not standing behind this crap, bring on Harvey in 2020 and bring back grant and roo. I'm sick of being a s*** club with s*** decisions.

And ffs, please stop trading future picks. I'm sick of hearing excuses as to why we're doing these trades (oh yeah cause we only got first round then nothing till forth or whatever s*** excuse the club keeps saying).

Tomorrow I'll probably wake up to see that we've traded Bruce to Collingwood for pick 60, a packet of Tim Tams and a seat on who wants to be a millionaire.

stonecold
SS Life Member

lefty wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:55pm This is by far the worst trade deal ever. We got royally ripped a new one giving away our best ruck for pick 39, which inturn will probably turn out to be a spud.

I'm mega pissed off about this trade. We gave gold coast pick 13 for Hickey. FFS. Not only that, we gave up a second rounder for Freeman and then delist him once he's over his hamstring problems. And we keep Longer who can't take a mark in the forward 50.

It's a great joke and then they have the balls to ring me up asking for $200. Richo going to have a hard time in 2019, not standing behind this crap, bring on Harvey in 2020 and bring back grant and roo. I'm sick of being a s*** club with s*** decisions.

And ffs, please stop trading future picks. I'm sick of hearing excuses as to why we're doing these trades (oh yeah cause we only got first round then nothing till forth or whatever s*** excuse the club keeps saying).

Tomorrow I'll probably wake up to see that we've traded Bruce to Collingwood for pick 60, a packet of Tim Tams and a seat on who wants to be a millionaire.
Sad!!!!! You are overrating Hickledik still!!!!!

Get up to speed, Hickledik was a bad buy, overated and overpaid, no loss and a bloody good deal for us!!!!!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

What a terrible deal.. our admin is seriously the worst in the league by a long way..

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

West Coast have done well, they effectively swapped Lycett for Hickey, gained a 1st round pick and lost a 2nd round pick.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 11:10pm West Coast have done well, they effectively swapped Lycett for Hickey, gained a 1st round pick and lost a 2nd round pick.
Admins win premierships..

groupie1
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 7:22pm
Sainternist wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 4:58pm I really thought we had a decent ruckman in Hickey in 2016, but he just faded into near obscurity. I think we did really well in finding a suitor who was willing to give up as much as a second-round pick. Hickey would be pretty stoked to be joining the reigning premiers and bask in the Perth sunshine. It's a win-win for both the club and Hickey. If WCE can turn him into a good, consistent ruckman, then I'll tip my hat to them.
I am furious at the club for giving up the opportunity to get a pick in the low 20s for this trade. Opportunity gone begging. But I am going to go with a glass half full approach: Pick #39 will go to Sydney for Hannebury or Melbourne for Kent anyway.

Hickey would be rapt. He will now get a game every week at a strong club, in an excellent coaching system, as Lycett is gone and Natanui won't play next year. He just needs to not get injured (which he is prone to do let's be honest) and he will be right. St. Kilda now don't have to worry about which ruckman to play every week. That will now be Longer (if he gets another contract), with Pierce to keep developing, and Marshall will play at Full Forward offering the chop out in the ruck. No more gifted games to Paddy, because Bruce will be back and we also have Battle.

If Lonie stays he will need to keep building on his reasonable form in the last month of this season, because he will have stiff competition from Long and Kent to keep his place.

I would really prefer it if none of the players coming out of contract were re-signed to be honest (apart from Lonie) although I can see a scenario where Longer is re-signed. Also needs to be more of a turnover with our assistant coaches.

Get Roberton back, pick Rankine at #4 in the draft, hopefully more improvement from Gresh, Billings, Acres and Ross, a more consistent season from Big Jake, and we will gradually improve. I liked what I saw from Coffield, Clarke, Phillips and Rice, so there's a bit to work with.
Given all you just said... why don't we trade Paddy? Paddy and Weller to GC for a top 10 pick

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga