WTF????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

WTF????

Ok. Let me get this straight.

Jack Lonie finally shows a bit of promise at the back end of the season,

Nevertheless, the Saints tell him, sorry no contract for you.

Carlton and Collingwood show some interest in recruiting him.

The Saints realise the club might have been a bit hasty and decide to offer Lonie a contract.

Seriously. WTF?

Is it any wonder no A graders want to come and play for St Kilda?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: WTF????

Are you asking whether that actually happened? Or telling us that that happened?

damienc
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 10:08pm Are you asking whether that actually happened? Or telling us that that happened?
Please feel free to enlighten us all with your version of what transpired. You have my undivided attention.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 10:11pm
rodgerfox wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 10:08pm Are you asking whether that actually happened? Or telling us that that happened?
Please feel free to enlighten us all with your version of what transpired. You have my undivided attention.
If I don't know what happened, I'd be inclined not to pass judgement and post about it.

So I didn't.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

From what I’ve heard the club has had a one year offer on the table for quite sometime but Lonie has been trying to get an extra year or two. His manager with his clients job security at mind has seen what else is out there. Club now looking to give him that extra year. I don’t get the fuss.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Can only mean one thing - Saints Premiership :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Lonie staying...although he is holidaying in Europe with Luke Dunstan and a couple of others.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Didn't know we had extended the offer to 2 years. Are oyuwe sure.? That is a mistake and one we make often. Richo and paddy contracts to name two. Lonie had a few good games in games that had little consequence and don't matter that much. He is lucky to get a year in my opinion.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 10:00pm Ok. Let me get this straight.

The Saints realise the club might have been a bit hasty and decide to offer Lonie a contract.

Seriously. WTF?

Dan Hanebery wan'ts to come and play for us, or don't you consider him A grade?

Dylan Sheil is thinking about coming to play for us, or don't you consider him A grade?

damienc
Club Player

Hannebery was an A grader a couple of years ago. Well past his absolute best. So no to the first.

Second is definitely an A grader but highly unlikely to pick us as his destination club.

Saintnickyroo

I still think Lonie can become A-grade. Can’t afford to lose him at this stage. Get it done Saints!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 11:21am Lonie staying...although he is holidaying in Europe with Luke Dunstan and a couple of others.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/sai ... -from-pies

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 6:59pm Hannebery was an A grader a couple of years ago. Well past his absolute best. So no to the first.

Second is definitely an A grader but highly unlikely to pick us as his destination club.
So not an A grader? Is he still a B grader or do you think he's slipped to a C?

David-Lee
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 5:17pm

Seriously. WTF?

Dylan Sheil is thinking about coming to play for us, or don't you consider him A grade?

Hanebery has been coached by a pro and is a champ but hes done, his best is past him that's a fact. He will look like a genius next to some of our guys and a nice addition to help marshall the delusional troops in the mid.

Sheils has already committed elsewhere and NEVER thought of joining a team with 1 A grade player, no rucks, no forwards and 1 decent back.

I honestly won't be shocked to see the shite we end up trading for....we only have 1 first round then start again in the third.
The best player we could trade for Geelong's first round, Steven's, the club insists he shrivels to dust like Reiwoldt so we can say he was loyal.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 10:24pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 5:17pm

Seriously. WTF?

Hanebery has been coached by a pro and is a champ but hes done, his best is past him that's a fact. He will look like a genius next to some of our guys and a nice addition to help marshall the delusional troops in the mid.

Sheils has already committed elsewhere and NEVER thought of joining a team with 1 A grade player, no rucks, no forwards and 1 decent back.

I honestly won't be shocked to see the shite we end up trading for....we only have 1 first round then start again in the third.
The best player we could trade for Geelong's first round, Steven's, the club insists he shrivels to dust like Reiwoldt so we can say he was loyal.
Has anyone else been thinking about supporting a better club? What does everyone think would be a good club for support. Maybe one of these franchise clubs that get all the hand outs? Or what about a power club with a really great coach, maybe Richmond or Collingwood. Things sound really bad so maybe time to jump ship and let the woman and childeren sink with the wreck.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Not another club.m, but I just don’t care or have the passion of years ago. Just a passive observer these days suits me.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote: Sun 07 Oct 2018 10:14am Not another club.m, but I just don’t care or have the passion of years ago. Just a passive observer these days suits me.
Yeah I've pulled back a fair bit too, I only check the forums a few times a day during the off season. I'll probably start checking them a bit more when the new season starts. This club has robbed me of my passion. I blame the CEO.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Hannerbrey an A grader on the field, the track and in the sheds. Bookmark it.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 07 Oct 2018 1:51pm Hannerbrey an A grader on the field, the track and in the sheds. Bookmark it.
Yeah, at first I was like everyone else and a bit iffy on the Hanners deal. Now I’m thinking... the guys barely done a pre season in 2 years, everyone at least give him a chance! He’s going to bring a lot more to the club than just disposals on game day.

I hope he has a ripping summer on the track and really challenges a few of the other boys to go with him. If he does that, he’ll probably be voted in as Captain too.

Go Saints!

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Dan will be good for the club on many fronts.

Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 9:19pm
damienc wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 6:59pm Hannebery was an A grader a couple of years ago. Well past his absolute best. So no to the first.

If he was still at his peak when an A grader, would the swans let him go for the reported 2nd round pick?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 07 Oct 2018 7:46pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 9:19pm

If he was still at his peak when an A grader, would the swans let him go for the reported 2nd round pick?
It's easy to be suspicious and I initially was for the same reason, why are the Swans letting him go, the obvious question and hopefully the due diligence process is successful in obtaining the right decision. However you could look at it from the Swans perspective as it might say more about the Swans and where they are at with their list management more than what it says about DH and his status in the game.

Using the Saints example of when we parted company with Goddard and Dal, were they still A grade when we traded them, were they past their peek but still A grade, did they provide A grade service to their new clubs albeit arguably not their absolute best or peak while they were with our club? Was it a win-win for both clubs in terms of where their lists were at. The Swans are probably heading into a period of refreshing their list and possibly will drop down the ladder while the refresh takes place and are speculating that Dan might not be part of their next tilt at a flag so trading him is beneficial to that plan.

He's certainly not B grade, he's arguably not elite anymore as he was a year or two back, but he's certainly A grade, it's just a question of if he's now capable of recapturing the elite status again, or at the very least, hold the A grade long enough to gain value for money.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He hasn't been A grade for 3 years, if he was anywhere near it then other clubs would absolutely be trying to lure him and the swans would be looking for an early first rounder.

I think it's pretty reasonable to be suspicious of player nominating only one club who happen to at the bottom of the ladder and will offer him some financial security that no-one else would entertain.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 3:48pm He hasn't been A grade for 3 years, if he was anywhere near it then other clubs would absolutely be trying to lure him and the swans would be looking for an early first rounder.

I think it's pretty reasonable to be suspicious of player nominating only one club who happen to at the bottom of the ladder and will offer him some financial security that no-one else would entertain.
A bit harsh. He came 4th in the Brownlow 3 years ago (2016).

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 3:56pm
dragit wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 3:48pm He hasn't been A grade for 3 years, if he was anywhere near it then other clubs would absolutely be trying to lure him and the swans would be looking for an early first rounder.

A bit harsh. He came 4th in the Brownlow 3 years ago (2016).
Sorry, that's when I am saying he was A grade, 3 years from when he starts playing with us.