Karl Amon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Karl Amon

Doesn't get a lot of the ball, doesn't kick many goals, doesn't tackle much...not sure what we're doing here.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 7:41pm Yep. Astute recruitment again. Only cost a 3rd or 4th rounder. Early days yet.

Dan and Dean seem the only 100% certainties thus far.
So a past his best mid being shipped out to make space and a couple of fringe players who can’t get regular games at teams that didn’t play finals, one of whom has an injury plagued history - that’s astute recruiting.
We’ve only just let go of some players who ended up being list cloggers, let’s get some more in then...

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Our second and third pick are 57 and 61.
We don't have any picks and no one wants to come to us cos' we're crap.

The next few years will probably see a list churn of similar players. Hopefully one or two turn out like Membrey.

I don't really see that we have many other options.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 7:23am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 7:41pm Yep. Astute recruitment again. Only cost a 3rd or 4th rounder. Early days yet.

So a past his best mid being shipped out to make space and a couple of fringe players who can’t get regular games at teams that didn’t play finals, one of whom has an injury plagued history - that’s astute recruiting.
We’ve only just let go of some players who ended up being list cloggers, let’s get some more in then...
You are spot on StB, but what are the options?
No one of quality would want to join due to the performance of season gone, by media reports we are throwing mega bucks at Shiel but he’s unlikely to choose us.

Do we do nothing, or go noodling and hope to get a gem out of some rabble.

I’d prefer anything to sitting on our hands.
Does this constitute astute recruiting?
Don’t think any rational person would think that but I’m still in the camp of better try and fail than do nothing.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 8:46am
st.byron wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 7:23am

You are spot on StB, but what are the options?
No one of quality would want to join due to the performance of season gone, by media reports we are throwing mega bucks at Shiel but he’s unlikely to choose us.

Do we do nothing, or go noodling and hope to get a gem out of some rabble.

I’d prefer anything to sitting on our hands.
Does this constitute astute recruiting?
Don’t think any rational person would think that but I’m still in the camp of better try and fail than do nothing.
Fair call mate. The spots on the list have to be filled. It’s just disappointing to see the caliber of players being linked with us. Meanwhile the Hawks have totally regenerated their midfield in three years. Mitchell, O’Meara ( who I was totally canning as a potential recruit) and now Shiel. I’d be very happy to add those three to our midfield. Gaff, if he moves, will be at North.
Sad indictment on us, our coaching and management that we can’t attract anyone elite.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure what the Hawks have planned out at Dingley, but if I was a prospective player I'd find North's facilities and the whole Arden Street redevelopment, along with a huge bag of cash, a lot more appealing than trotting out to Moorabbin for work. There are a lot of factors at play in this decision, although I find the idea that someone with another 6-7 years of their career left to run would knock back an extra $500k a year mind boggling...surely there's other 'Judd-esque' incentives at play here?

saint-stu
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 8:30pm
stonecold wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 8:22pm
St Loxton wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 7:20pm
stonecold wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 6:40pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 4:21pm
axcellence wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 4:01pm Trade for Dunstan?
Dunstan all but a blue bagger. Maybe for a second round pick
Not according to his manager!!!!!
Whaddya know Stoney?
Don't want him to go cheep.
Nothing, his manager stated today that Luke would be a Saint next year, he's words, not mine!!!!!
I'll be disappointed if we lose Dunstan, we need to build the midfield depth whilst hanging onto the decent midfielder we have.
Geez, me too. It doesn't sound like Amon is much good based on the Port fans' comments. We may have too many types like Dunstan, but he's still a pretty good player and is coming into his prime. I don't mind us trading Luke if we get a decent pick back. Like the one we used to recruit him (around pick 20).

1ac46a38
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Not everyone we pick up needs to be an A grade gun. A list has to have pieces added to it. One by one. Amon could fit that bill.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 1:02pm Not everyone we pick up needs to be an A grade gun. A list has to have pieces added to it. One by one. Amon could fit that bill.
Like I've said before, we'd need 250 list spots to fit in all the potatoes that you want the club to recruit.

Players who don't get the ball, don't kick goals and don't tackle can tear it up in the state leagues.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Incorrect on every level.
And there is a reason professional AFL football clubs have competent and knowledgeable staff making decisions on players and the list...and not people like you and others.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 2:57am Doesn't get a lot of the ball, doesn't kick many goals, doesn't tackle much...not sure what we're doing here.
Geeez I can’t believe I have to explain it to you.

We’re looking to take underdeveloped, underperforming players from clubs that are significantly better at development then we are, and turn them into players that will play at a higher standard then they have ever done before. They will then lift the standard of the players currently at the club that have been underperforming.

What is so hard to grasp?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 6:02pm From Port supporters:

"If Amon ever can understand that he won't be able to build a career just running in straight lines, avoiding contact & not putting any effort in to actually trying to tackle he might just end up half decent elsewhere. Might just be the reality check he needs."
"Saw the headline and had trouble guessing the player's name. It's Amon. Speedster is being a little bit generous."
"He doesn't hold much trade value. 3rd rounder sounds about right." "I'll drive him to VIC myself for a third rounder in return."
"I would have been surprised if a single team wanted him. Two teams going for him is shocking, have they not watched him play? Good news for us, might actually get a usable pick for him now."
"I think a swap of our future 4th round for the Saints future 3rd rounder for Amon is about as good as we'll get and we'll need to bank some points for next year anyway."
"I'm gonna assume this "Race" and "Bidding war" for Karl Amon will end up netting us a pick upgrade in the 4th round."

Certainly not highly valued by the Port supporters. In fact sounds like he is seen as pretty useless.
Thanks for the post Gershwin (although I'm not a fan of your music).

He sounds like just the player we need. :roll:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 1:02pm Not everyone we pick up needs to be an A grade gun. A list has to have pieces added to it. One by one. Amon could fit that bill.
Considering we already have the likes of Lonie, give 3 good reasons why he could fit that bill as you put it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

So we're looking for more useful, recycled 'pieces' like McGough, Mullins, Attard, Wall, Birss, Gamble, C.Gardiner, Begley, Pattison, Smith, Polo, Maister, Dennis-Lane and Lee?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a good upgrade on Freeman.

Recruit him and maybe those Facebook clowns who want us to redraft Freezer will STFU

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 2:37am
So we're looking for more useful, recycled 'pieces' like McGough, Mullins, Attard, Wall, Birss, Gamble, C.Gardiner, Begley, Pattison, Smith, Polo, Maister, Dennis-Lane and Lee?
What about all the hacks we have drafted?

Where your list of them champ?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
damienc
Club Player

This guy’s highlights reel has him showing a bit. I know these highlights are a bit misleading but he can kick, tackle, run and bag a goal. Worth a close look I reckon.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Oh look, a horse and carriage in the background.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

We’ll if we are trading for players from highlights reel we should look at this guy.

Good kick for goal, decent pace, good tackler, clever footballer.

Watch him out point AA Tom Stewart.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 7:23am Oh look, a horse and carriage in the background.
Well I bow to your superior football knowledge. As always.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 3:56pm
sunsaint wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 3:52pm
HitTheBoundary wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 3:41pm
We have no early picks so better to get someone already in the system with some proven ability than a pick 75 that never plays.
you could easily mount an argument that 5 years and 42 games is a pick that hardly ever plays
Leigh Montagna played around 50 games in his first five years.
Montagna not getting a game early on was mostly a reflection of our brainless selection committee.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Amon was competing against players like Wingard, Polec and Pittard for a spot. Funnily enough, all 3 are now gone.

The kid can play. Still has lots of upside and is a local. Whilst the Hawks are going hard for Scully and Wingard, we should be swooping on Amon and Scrimshaw. Just my opinion. Watch this space though.

Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 9:01am Amon was competing against players like Wingard, Polec and Pittard for a spot. Funnily enough, all 3 are now gone.

The kid can play. Still has lots of upside and is a local. Whilst the Hawks are going hard for Scully and Wingard, we should be swooping on Amon and Scrimshaw. Just my opinion. Watch this space though.
Scrimshaw? FFS, I have watched him play live at least 5 times over the last two years. He makes Rhys Stanley look like Carl Ditterich. Nice skills, good size (but very lean) and athletic, nice kick but no attack on the ball or opposition at all.

FFS, if they give up anything more that a 4th - 5th rounder for Scrimshaw I’ll do a Terry Wallace.

We have no interest in Setterfield but chasing Scrimshaw, if you are correct our recruiters have NFI.

If we are happy with Kent, Amon & Scrimshaw we are condoning ourselves to perpetual mediocrity.

All 40 on the list can’t be A grade but these 3 will never be more than C grade.

Freeman didn’t work out but it was worth the gamble, like Setterfield. May fail but if it works could be A grade.
We are recruiting mature age c graders like Kent who will always be c graders.

Scrimshaw :roll: I’m hoping this comment is as accurate as the rest of your information. FFS don’t let the first thing you get right be trading for this guy.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

So the Hawks recruiters who are interested in Amon and Scrimshaw have no idea also?

Plus Amon and Scrimshaw wouldn't cost much. Especially Amon.

Total = 1.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 8:44am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 7:23am Oh look, a horse and carriage in the background.
Well I bow to your superior football knowledge. As always.
Good.

Two things:

Old highlights and against weak opposition.