Who is Dean Kent?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who is Dean Kent?

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 8:57pm With Dean Kent and The Man of Steele maybe we might have a package.
Hopefully there won't be any kryptonite to come in between them.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

ffs! not sure what was more entertaining. our new recruit's highlight package. or watching that soft*#&@ drummer boy jack watts continually hearing footsteps and then dropping the mark. :lol: :roll: :lol:

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

I noticed a lot of Melbourne supporters on their forum are spewing he wants to leave and still rate him.

His highlights look good, if his body holds up then looks like a good get.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Sounds like he’s coming ready or not. Better find him a good Nic. We already have a Man of Steele

Always loyal
BenLong#21
Club Player

Upgrade on Weller.

saintbob
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 7:13pm Well that is 2 players so far that want to come-

Looks alright to me. Melbourne team pretty hard to break into.
Looks quick and strong and knows how to crumb.
Would free Billings to a wing.

Shiel and Setterfield for Pick 3 anyone?
Yep!!

Barneysaint
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:40pm Sounds like he is not anyone's first choice but I think the best thing about him is he will be cheap. 3 years is a concern as is the injuries but if Weller and Lonie go he will be an adequate replacement for one of them. And he does look quick and we are in need of speed.
He's a midfielder. Not a lonie type player. Wingman.

axcellence
Club Player

Barneysaint wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 2:40am
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:40pm Sounds like he is not anyone's first choice but I think the best thing about him is he will be cheap. 3 years is a concern as is the injuries but if Weller and Lonie go he will be an adequate replacement for one of them. And he does look quick and we are in need of speed.
Never quite heard too much about him.

If Saints are into Demons players, the one player I’d like who can replace Newnes is Jayden Hunt. Saints miss a fast linebreaker like Aussie Jones/Gram.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind the idea of getting him, my Melbourne mates rate him and wish others from the team that played in the prelim had gone.
We bemoan a lot of things at St Kilda, the coach, the board and the playing list. We want, demand change in all of them. In regards to the list, we call players cloggers and want new blood in. We are beginning to see that, Hannerbury from one of the great modern clubs, Kent from a club on the rise. These two will add more to St Kilda than what we lose or have lost.
As axcellence wrote, I also would look at Hunt and I'd look at Bugg. One a fast, attacking, experienced half back. The other a lockdown forward / mid who can shut down running half backs and kick a goal when needed.
I'm excited to see not only our kids like Clark, Coffield, Battle, Paton, Clavarino, Langlands etc develop but also new blood in the form of Hanberbury and Kent and how they go about getting us off the bottom.
Bring on trade week, the draft & our #4 selection, hoping it is Smith.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Finally found the highlights :o!
"Clark Kent" - I like it!!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Bugg...

No

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Just a thought bigred. We are certainly lacking mongrel, we need someone to stir the vanilla.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

He plays as a small forward for Dees but we will most likely play him in the mids. Comment more about he could slot into either position if required. The more I read about him the less worried I get. He seems to get injured in different body parts so at least it isn't the same place that won't mend e.g. Freeman. He is a risk but so is every new.player.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Barneysaint wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 2:40am He's a midfielder. Not a lonie type player. Wingman.
Just fantasy to expect this guy to come in and be an AFL quality mid. The guy is turning 25 before next season and has cracked the 20+ disposal mark just a handful of times in his career and once in the last 2 years. Averages 13 dispoals per game. He's midfielder like Mav is a midfielder, a VFL one.

takeaway
Club Player

Upgrade on Mav, Minch, Wright at least. Will be an improvement to our list, and may even end up better than that for very little cost. Good move, Saints.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 6:00am
Never quite heard too much about him.

If Saints are into Demons players, the one player I’d like who can replace Newnes is Jayden Hunt. Saints miss a fast linebreaker like Aussie Jones/Gram.
Is there a highlight reel of Hunt hitting a target? I say no.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Is definitely an upgrade, any player who was in the best 22 at the pointy end of the season for a club on the rise and made a Prelim is better than players struggling to make the top 30 of a club that finished 3rd last.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:04am
Barneysaint wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 2:40am He's a midfielder. Not a lonie type player. Wingman.
Just fantasy to expect this guy to come in and be an AFL quality mid. The guy is turning 25 before next season and has cracked the 20+ disposal mark just a handful of times in his career and once in the last 2 years. Averages 13 dispoals per game. He's midfielder like Mav is a midfielder, a VFL one.
Yep. Rose coloured glasses to the max to think he’s suddenly going to turn into a quality mid-fielder. Optimism vs reality. Has never averaged more than 16 disposals a year and 4 years out of 6 in the system, less than 12. He’s going to pull on a Saints jumper and be magically transformed into a mid.......

degruch
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:48am
Yep. Rose coloured glasses to the max to think he’s suddenly going to turn into a quality mid-fielder. Optimism vs reality. Has never averaged more than 16 disposals a year and 4 years out of 6 in the system, less than 12. He’s going to pull on a Saints jumper and be magically transformed into a mid.......
In fairness, he's never played as a mid, so won't have too many big disposal stats to his name. I'm just mystified by Lonie = 1 year, Kent = 3...maybe there's some $$$ attached to this scenario too.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:52am
st.byron wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:48am
In fairness, he's never played as a mid, so won't have too many big disposal stats to his name. I'm just mystified by Lonie = 1 year, Kent = 3...maybe there's some $$$ attached to this scenario too.
Yep am also mystified..Lonie just started to show some return on our investment and now we’re replacing him?? If he does indeed go.
Fair call that Kent’s never played as a mid, even more reason to not expect he’s suddenly going to turn into one just coz he’s at the Saints and we need mids.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I think Lonie is getting a dose of reality at present with other clubs showing little interest in him. They too realise 4 good games at season end in some meaningless encounters doesn't mean a lot nor does it balance out the majority of mediocre performances through out the year. He will most likely resign for a year with us and I hope he works in the off season on bulking up and tackling drills over and over again

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 12:04pm I think Lonie is getting a dose of reality at present with other clubs showing little interest in him. They too realise 4 good games at season end in some meaningless encounters doesn't mean a lot nor does it balance out the majority of mediocre performances through out the year. He will most likely resign for a year with us and I hope he works in the off season on bulking up and tackling drills over and over again
Probably close to the mark & hope that's his pre season aim. Kent being on the list should ensure some honesty improvement in all of our smaller players. Well I hope anyway.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 12:04pm I think Lonie is getting a dose of reality at present with other clubs showing little interest in him. They too realise 4 good games at season end in some meaningless encounters doesn't mean a lot nor does it balance out the majority of mediocre performances through out the year. He will most likely resign for a year with us and I hope he works in the off season on bulking up and tackling drills over and over again
It's been reported that at least 4 clubs are interested, mainly finals sides... as opposed to hanners and Kent who no one else is even entertaining.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

dragit wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 12:31pm
It's been reported that at least 4 clubs are interested, mainly finals sides... as opposed to hanners and Kent who no one else is even entertaining.
Are you sure? Collingwood have met with him, sure, no argument there. But Carlton and Brisbane are the other 2 clubs I can find are looking at him with a rumoured 3 year deal with Lions offered.
I'd take Collingwood second round pick for him i.e. about pick 38.

Cant argue with Hanners and Kent comment.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 12:31pm ... as opposed to hanners and Kent who no one else is even entertaining.
Do you think maybe that the fact that these two nominated St Kilda right from the get go may have swayed others from chasing them - just a thunk!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!