Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

BenLong#21 wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 10:46pm GWS, Hawks, Essendon or Blues.

We arent even in the game.
At $1.2 million per year we have the largest offer by a good margin.

Gaining Hanners may make it more tempting for him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 11:10pm
fugazi wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 11:00pm
Train9 wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 3:15pm Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time reader of this forum.

With Dylan Shiel, I have some information.
We have put a godfather offer to him which is nearly too good to refuse. But if he does entertain the idea, he wants questions answered in regards to which way the club is going etc.

5 weeks ago Sydney were on the box seat which has only just come to media attention as he does love living in Sydney.

I’m not a “ITK” or anything like that, but with this the source is pretty spot on 👍

Be a few interesting weeks coming up!

Go Saints
Welcome Train 9
Interesting first post. Any idea what the proposed exchange might be if he was to accept the Godfather deal?

My guess
Giants would want pick 4. But they could give us 23 back.
That would value DS at pick 13 which I think is fair value.
There would be nothing coming back on #3

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

They wanted and got 2 first rounders for Treloar.

Nee!
BenLong#21
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 11:58pm They wanted and got 2 first rounders for Treloar.
Yes....
But....
Treloar was only 22 at the time and everyone thinks the 2018 draft is stacked.
and...
Coniglio, Whitfield and Kelly have all gone past Shiel now.

BenLong#21
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 11:22pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 11:10pm
fugazi wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 11:00pm
Train9 wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 3:15pm Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time reader of this forum.

With Dylan Shiel, I have some information.
We have put a godfather offer to him which is nearly too good to refuse. But if he does entertain the idea, he wants questions answered in regards to which way the club is going etc.

5 weeks ago Sydney were on the box seat which has only just come to media attention as he does love living in Sydney.

I’m not a “ITK” or anything like that, but with this the source is pretty spot on 👍

Be a few interesting weeks coming up!

Go Saints
Welcome Train 9
Interesting first post. Any idea what the proposed exchange might be if he was to accept the Godfather deal?

My guess
Giants would want pick 4. But they could give us 23 back.
That would value DS at pick 13 which I think is fair value.
There would be nothing coming back on #3
4 would be overs imo.
Hawks or Bombers pick seems about right.
Maybe Blues will offer pick 1 and ask for 23 back.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

No way will Adelaide accept pick 24 for McGovern. So I think Blues will have to use 1 to get McGovern from Adelaide's but will get Adelaide's pick 7 (actually pick 8 after Gold Coast) back and Adelaide takes Lukosius and Carlton have pick 8 and what will be pick 12 (their compensation pick) which will gain them two quality players.

If this happens there is a chance we could get Walsh at 4 if Gold Coast take the King brothers at 2 and 3.

At least I can dream.

Otherwise I would not complain if we took Smith.

Now as to how we satisfy GWS for Sheil ... it will have to be our future first rounder, Longer and maybe something else!

Roughead as a free agent would be worth a look as ruck coverage and can also play elsewhere. More an insurance move.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
wally
Club Player

They seem to reckon Lobbe is going to Freo so they will need a ruckman.
My same old theory some of our blokes will be better in a better team ,which would include our rucks,
that being said if we get better mids, we get improvement with what we have.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Read a review of gws and shiels isn't in the top 5 players at gws so pick 4 screams overs for me. Personally go to the draft

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 1:17am No way will Adelaide accept pick 24 for McGovern. So I think Blues will have to use 1 to get McGovern from Adelaide's but will get Adelaide's pick 7 (actually pick 8 after Gold Coast) back and Adelaide takes Lukosius and Carlton have pick 8 and what will be pick 12 (their compensation pick) which will gain them two quality players.

If this happens there is a chance we could get Walsh at 4 if Gold Coast take the King brothers at 2 and 3.

At least I can dream.

Otherwise I would not complain if we took Smith.

Now as to how we satisfy GWS for Sheil ... it will have to be our future first rounder, Longer and maybe something else!

Roughead as a free agent would be worth a look as ruck coverage and can also play elsewhere. More an insurance move.
In this scenario you would think #8 & #12 go to GWS with maybe second rounder going back.

That gives Carlton Sheil & McGovern for #1 & compo pick #12 with 2nd rounder coming back.

Looks about right to me.

No way known we keep #4 and get Sheil.

Maybe #4 & Longer for Sheil & 2nd rounder return.

#4 & Longer for Sheil & Setterfield?
Dreaming yes, but why not.

Also if Carlton get a compo pick why not us?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saint-stu
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:Read a review of gws and shiels isn't in the top 5 players at gws so pick 4 screams overs for me. Personally go to the draft
Yeh, I'm worried based on his finals performance. You want players who go to another level in finals. Whitfield looked much better.

But anyway, I guess it comes down to who would you prefer between Shiel and Smith?

1ac46a38
suss
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 10:20am Read a review of gws and shiels isn't in the top 5 players at gws so pick 4 screams overs for me. Personally go to the draft
... which of kind of like saying that Bronte Campbell isn't even the fastest swimmer in her family.

takeaway
Club Player

saint-stu wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 10:29am
DJ Higgins wrote:Read a review of gws and shiels isn't in the top 5 players at gws so pick 4 screams overs for me. Personally go to the draft
Yeh, I'm worried based on his finals performance. You want players who go to another level in finals. Whitfield looked much better.

But anyway, I guess it comes down to who would you prefer between Shiel and Smith?
Also I am a bit concerned re Shiel. Very good player, would really add to the team, but comes at a high cost and seems to have plateaued over the last couple of years.

Treloar would be worth more, is younger, and he was traded for picks 7, future 1st, (ended up pick 8), 65 with pick 28 coming back - total value in points 2608
Pick 4 is worth 2034 - so seems reasonable. However, I bet Collingwood were hoping their future 1st wouldn't be as low as 8.

If the top few in this draft are as good as predicted, I think I would prefer to keep 4. Future 1st for Shiel and find a 2nd rounder from somewhere for Hannebury? GWS will no doubt want more.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Would thrive as the no1 midfielder in the side. Will be an absolute gun if he joined St Kilda

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Would thrive as the no1 midfielder in the side. Will be an absolute gun if he joined St Kilda

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 11:06am If the top few in this draft are as good as predicted, I think I would prefer to keep 4. Future 1st for Shiel and find a 2nd rounder from somewhere for Hannebury? GWS will no doubt want more.
We keep trading away 'future' picks - FFS this has to stop - each draft is predicted as being deep!

Do it for this years - take our medicine - get better - get some FA action.

Just get some f@rking skill in the door - if we miss out on a kid that is going to tear it up in 2021 then I have made my peace with that.

If we finish bottom 4 next year we may as well close the door

We have some talent some players who would be great 'icing' but are currently being used as 'cake'.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
barneyboyz
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 10:20am Read a review of gws and shiels isn't in the top 5 players at gws so pick 4 screams overs for me. Personally go to the draft
I agree, go to the draft with our pick

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I really want to keep pick 4

barneyboyz
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 11:43am I really want to keep pick 4
A carefully selected pick 4 doesn't need to be a project player, and many early picks have immediate impact. They just have to get the 'careful' bit right

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'm actually inclined to think that trading pick 4 shouldn't be as daunting as many are suggesting.

We haven't had great success in our first round drafting over the last 5 years, especially when you look at pick 3 (Billings), pick 21 (Goddard) and of course, pick 1 (Paddy). Maybe it's the player development programme, or maybe we paid overs, hard to tell.

But, we did once trade pick 5 for Carlisle (who's clearly one of our best players) and we got pick 18 back which we used on Gresham, who is probably the most exciting draft prospect we currently have.

If we trade pick 4 but somehow get back a late first rounder or even a second rounder back, may not end up being such a bad deal. Of course, GWS may not go for it, but let's wait and see.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

suss wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 10:56am
... which of kind of like saying that Bronte Campbell isn't even the fastest swimmer in her family.
Not really, more like saying Abigail Campbell isn't even the fastest swimmer in her family. Shiels is good in a great midfield so not sure what happens when he come to us and plays with our guys. He would be a good get but not sure at pick 4

suss
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 12:49pm
Not really, more like saying Abigail Campbell isn't even the fastest swimmer in her family. Shiels is good in a great midfield so not sure what happens when he come to us and plays with our guys. He would be a good get but not sure at pick 4
I’d prefer Kelly above all but I think Shiel is the best we can hope for. I reckon he’s 4th or 5th best mid at GWS, but in the top 10-12 mids in the comp, such is the quality at GWS. He’d certainly be our best mid by a country mile. Would be helped by Hannebery too.

I’d use pick 4 on Rankine personally, and hope to get Shiel with next year’s first round pick.

saint-stu
Club Player

suss wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 12:49pm
I’d prefer Kelly above all but I think Shiel is the best we can hope for. I reckon he’s 4th or 5th best mid at GWS, but in the top 10-12 mids in the comp, such is the quality at GWS. He’d certainly be our best mid by a country mile. Would be helped by Hannebery too.

I’d use pick 4 on Rankine personally, and hope to get Shiel with next year’s first round pick.
I think Stuv would have something to say about that.

1ac46a38
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Are we actually chasing GWS players using pick 4? I can’t seem to find anything about it except on here.

wally
Club Player

When we traded for Carlisle the general feeling was we paid overs but now has settled to be a good job done.
I feel the same feelings around Sheil but in time could be the same. Sure I'd prefer Trelor or Kelly or Witfield but
we couldn't afford them(deal) and they probably wouldn't want to come. Take what we can get try to do the best deal we can.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Decent chance right now

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.