Are We So Bad No one Wants To Come To Our Club?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Are We So Bad No one Wants To Come To Our Club?

Under normal circumstances this should be an outrageous and completely wrong question to ask as well as a wrong assumption to make.

But these are not normal circumstances. Clearly.

Let me rephrase that.

Sadly, my headline is the new normal for Saints supporters.

Nothing to see here and business as usual as far as our footy club is concerned and therein lies the problem.

No one who's any good wants to come and play for us even if we throw telephone number salaries at them and five year contracts.

The powers that be should be asking themselves some fairly serious questions. They aren't of course. It's left to the people on this forum to see a problem with St Kilda.

Plenty of people outside see a problem . So do star players from other clubs.

The only name of any significance linked with us, in the upcoming trade period , is Dan Hannebery who has just had the season from hell.

Can he regain his form from two years ago? He better or getting him to come to this footy club and paying the price demanded by Sydney, will be a wasted exercise.

So what is my point? We have an image problem and a coaching problem and a history of making bad decisions.

We also have a footy club who thinks denial is a river in Egypt.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Are We So Bad No one Wants To Play For Us?

damienc wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 3:45pm Under normal circumstances this should be an outrageous and completely wrong question to ask as well as a wrong assumption to make.

Let me rephrase that.

Nothing to see here and business as usual as far as our footy club is concerned and therein lies the problem.

No one who's any good wants to come and play for us even if we throw telephone number salaries at them and five year contracts.

The powers that be should be asking themselves some fairly serious questions. They aren't of course. It's left to the people on this forum to see a problem with St Kilda.

The only name of any significance linked with us, in the upcoming trade period , is Dan Hannebery who has just had the season from hell.

Can he regain his form from two years ago? He better or getting him to come to this footy club and paying the price demanded by Sydney, will be a wasted exercise.

So what is my point? We have an image problem and a coaching problem and a history of making bad decisions.

The answer to your question is yes, the club has a pretty bad smell about and no in-demand A grader or star player wants to touch us. Why would they? All in-demand players get offered big money and long-term contracts at any potential suiter, what difference does offering an extra 10% or 15% make when they can still get superstar money elsewhere and have prospects like playing in finals, etc.

The problem being, this image problem you spoke of really started last season after we failed to play finals again and needlessly re-signed the coach. We'd apparently been chasing Fyfe, Martin and had been "aggressive" with Kelly, all of whom gave us the finger and that was when there were still those in the media and even this forum who thought that we still had something to look forward to.

As for the club administration, I don't think they're really that naive to think that their isn't an image problem at the club, but why would they admit it publicly? To do so all but admits their plan to make St. Kilda a "destination" club has so far been a fail.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Are We So Bad No one Wants To Come To Our Club?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."
Julius Caesar (100 BC – 44 BC)

More relevant than ever.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

simply put, I think one reason (IMHO) that guns won't come,
is because our players are so inept and unskilled,
which is worsened by a s*** game plan,
that an A-Grader knows that he will have to earn EVERY DOLLAR.

He will have to do ALL the heavy lifting.
30 touches, 8 tackles, every single frigging week will be expected of him,
to cover our duds and minimise turnovers.

So they go to a club that has talent, so they put in 100%,
but at our Titanic, they will be told to do 150%

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For me, I think we have a huge issue with this ongoing Richo... IMO it paints the club in a very bad light.

Now I respect that a few forumites don’t agree with this POV, but to me the club has not has not been emphatical in it’s support of Richo...

The president came out and said yeah he’ll almost definentely coach not season and Roo to me wasn’t overly convincing in his talk either.

Is this a case of a club saying we had a rough year, we problems, we’ve made some changes, we’re going to make more, we’re comin in 2019 and Richo is the man to lead us...
or is the message, look we couldn’t sack him because we’re and it would make us look stupid, we’ll move him on first chance we get in the meantime here we’re putting stuff in for post the Richo era.

For me, the club stinks of the latter.

All I hear is players want to leave, we’re not playing finals til 2025, Richo’s payout is less post rd 5 next year and absolutely no buzz from the Saints whatsoever

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

your upset we haven't signed anyone yet and the trade period hasn't even started?

guitars4
Club Player

damienc wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 3:45pm Under normal circumstances this should be an outrageous and completely wrong question to ask as well as a wrong assumption to make.

Let me rephrase that.

I think there are players willing to come but not the type of players we need hence why Hanneberry & Menzel are on the radar . We will attract these type of players because they know no one else would give them a better deal than us at their stages of their careers. Lets face it our coach is shite the administration is shite the list is pretty shite & we won't be in finals contention for at least another 3 years even if things go half decent in the near future . IMO that's why we can't attract a gun player & you can't blame them for that but until we get our act together nothing will change. Harsh yeah but it's reality IMO.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I’m not surprised in the slightest.

saintadamski
Club Player

I think that any champion player values success and winning a premiership even above a huge salary increase.

They know that in the Saints current form, they will never see a final.

Delist the mid tier garbage - Newnes, Geary, Armitage, Hickey, Weller, Savage etc, and then fire the coach.

From there, the Saints will look a more attractive option - with some potential.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 1:31am I think that any champion player values success and winning a premiership even above a huge salary increase.

Delist the mid tier garbage - Newnes, Geary, Armitage, Hickey, Weller, Savage etc, and then fire the coach.

From there, the Saints will look a more attractive option - with some potential.
if we sack Richo, we keep Newnes- but Lethlean has to ensure that the new coach keeps
Newnes at the Zebs until, or if, he ever shows an attitude change; warn Newnes
that he will keep playing on swamps until he can really earn a recall.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sadly the title is correct. Our brand has been eroded that badly under Richardson and Finnis we are back entrenched as 'untouchables'.

Hopefully the Hannebrey trade is a sucess but there is strong chance he is just using us as his superannuation fund, as he and Sydney know he is cooked. This would be devastating for a club battling to get off the canvass.

More will be known at the end of the trade period but it seems the old St Kilda skatter gun approach is back.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 11:03pm I’m not surprised in the slightest.
Neither am I.

As mentioned before in this thread, most big name gets would probably have to be carrying a lot more for the money. If they can get comparable elsewhere where the talent is more evenly spread, why would you bother. The dollar would have to be significantly better.

Plus, I question if our current coaching situation also has some bearing on it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintadamski
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 8:49am Sadly the title is correct. Our brand has been eroded that badly under Richardson and Finnis we are back entrenched as 'untouchables'.

Hopefully the Hannebrey trade is a sucess but there is strong chance he is just using us as his superannuation fund, as he and Sydney know he is cooked. This would be devastating for a club battling to get off the canvass.

More will be known at the end of the trade period but it seems the old St Kilda skatter gun approach is back.
I agree that the Hannebrey trade is a huge risk.

But remember, our club is DEVOID of leaders and class....so without a player like this we will fall even further into the dark.

If he can at least bring in some leadership, and plays solidly, it's almost worth the risk.

saintadamski
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 3:18am
saintadamski wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 1:31am I think that any champion player values success and winning a premiership even above a huge salary increase.

if we sack Richo, we keep Newnes- but Lethlean has to ensure that the new coach keeps
I don't mind this strategy.

But realistically, I don't see Newnes as anything more than VFL at best....ever

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 11:36am
WellardSaint wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 3:18am

I don't mind this strategy.

But realistically, I don't see Newnes as anything more than VFL at best....ever
2 years ago he was regularly in our best, often racking up 25-30 touches. His development has gone horribly wrong.
No confidence and played out of position.But he can play at AFL level.

Nee!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintadamski wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 11:30am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 8:49am Sadly the title is correct. Our brand has been eroded that badly under Richardson and Finnis we are back entrenched as 'untouchables'.

I agree that the Hannebrey trade is a huge risk.

But remember, our club is DEVOID of leaders and class....so without a player like this we will fall even further into the dark.

If he can at least bring in some leadership, and plays solidly, it's almost worth the risk.
Of course. To listen to that numpty Plough and his Silverback acolyte in King is to hear them waffle on about Hanneberry being broken down etc. This view is so myopic and one-dimensional it's not funny. Dan's worth to St Kilda is more about on field leadership and respect.

Our older and mid tier players are poor footballers and on-field leaders - and hence, command little respect. Post Roo, Dempster and Montagna - we have the mother of all leadership voids. Hanneberry instantly fixes that. If he gets a few kicks along the way - even better. No one I know expects him to change the course of our playing fortunes - but having him there might convince a reasonable player or two to follow. As a few posters have mentioned above - any gun coming to St K knows they have to do ALL of the heavy lifting - with Dan there, maybe that issue diminishes now.

In short - I agree - we stink because our board are silent our Admin inept and coaching/training staff sub-standard. We have zero brand identity and no stars.

Now that Summers is gone - get cracking on f%&king off Richo and Finnis (ASAP) and then start building a footy club that has respect from the footy world (and no, Plough, King and Brereton don't count on that front).

Go you red, black & white warriors
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ST. K F.C realising mediocrity since 1873.

How they are.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ajantis
Club Player

St.kilda should have done what all the other clubs did many years ago.....

Buy the superstars, dont try and build a superstar team.

If we had a greater history we would have been more attractive as a club.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 4:47pm "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."

More relevant than ever.
Quote mining. Irrelevant and completely out of context (contextomy).

Might as well quote Nietzsche or Bambi...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 11:54am Dan's worth to St Kilda is more about on field leadership and respect.
I agree with you there...unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember how Alex Jesaulenko worked out, wondering whether this isn't a little bit of history (potentially) repeating.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:24pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 4:47pm "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."

More relevant than ever.

Or a little combo?

" Bambi is dead"

Nee!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

degruch wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:31pm
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 11:54am Dan's worth to St Kilda is more about on field leadership and respect.
I agree with you there...unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember how Alex Jesaulenko worked out, wondering whether this isn't a little bit of history (potentially) repeating.
Possibly but clearly - I hope not. To be fair - we do seem to be having a dip at everybody available and as I recall Jezza was supposed to the messiah ... although as a solo act only. I don't remember anyone coming with him.

Having said - as many on here have noted previously - at least back then we were known for something (ratbags, good times, etc) whereas now we're about as beige and vanilla as you can get. And as monotone as Richo's voice.

All in all - footy clubs just sell hope - it's all we have as supporters. For me - Dan's imminent arrival at least brings some hope. I pray it's not misplaced.

Go you red, black & white warriors
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 1:48pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:24pm

More relevant than ever.

Or a little combo?

" Bambi is dead"
Schrodinger:
'Bambi may or may not be dead'
- that's what I call thinking outside the box :lol:

Flagless
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 2:43pm
degruch wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:31pm
Possibly but clearly - I hope not. To be fair - we do seem to be having a dip at everybody available and as I recall Jezza was supposed to the messiah ... although as a solo act only. I don't remember anyone coming with him.

Having said - as many on here have noted previously - at least back then we were known for something (ratbags, good times, etc) whereas now we're about as beige and vanilla as you can get. And as monotone as Richo's voice.

All in all - footy clubs just sell hope - it's all we have as supporters. For me - Dan's imminent arrival at least brings some hope. I pray it's not misplaced.
[It smacks of desparation and being deluded by what Hanneberry was not what Hanneberry IS. and that is a 28 year old who is moving on from Sydney because he knows his time as an A grade mide fielder is up. He is slow, poor by foot and his body is banged up, all the leadership in the world wont help when he cant do what he expects of others. It is a terrible decision and Lethlean is letting his relationship with Hanneberry at Xavier cloud his judgement

repta
Club Player

Plenty want to come to StKilda
- Dan Hennebury
- Daniel Menzel

Are two that are desperate to get in.

There are dozens of other players that are seeking to line their retirement with a few more years on a list and a club to pay their medical bills.