Who would I consider off the table for trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

Who would I consider off the table for trade?

Of those who suited up in the last game of the year there are only 6 I would not consider trading; others if a great offer came and some who we are unlikely to be able to move on and who will therefore stay or be delisted.

SO:
Should not be traded- Membrey, Steele, Gresham, Steven, Carlisle, Webster

TRade if offer good - I.e. Gets us into a late first round or early second ( to be used for a gun import) - Billings, Acres, Ross, Geary , ,Lonie, Newnes

Keep as either too soon to rate them or unlikely to get any interest - Long, Marshall, Austin, Sinclair, McKenzie, Rice, Paton, Pierce

Ross - go if we can get into the early second round, Billings if we get a first round pick, Acres a second round only, Gears for whatever is offered and would be a good trade with the suns, LOnie late second round, early third.

We need elite kicks, off loading the ball butchers should be a priority followed by getting into the first round.
Last edited by 6621104 on Fri 07 Sep 2018 7:44pm, edited 2 times in total.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
bergsone
SS Life Member

Re: Who would I consider off the table for trade?

I would add Sinclair to the trade list,and Billings to the keep list.Interested were we all see Bruce ,Savage and White,trades or keepers

Club Player

Fair call on Sinclair but I doubt we would get any interest. A first rounder for Billings would be acceptable in my view, he does not play to his draft position so another should be tried. We need to be in this draft somehow to have the wherewithal to make a play for some real talent. A first and second round pick ( Billings and Ross) for a Scully or a Sheil would be a possibility.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
BadRossco
Club Player

Would add both Billings and Acres to keep list. Trade Sinclair, McKenzie and Rice ( slow) but may not have much currency. Lonie is uncontracted so has no trade value. Agree we need to give more time to Marshall, Long and Austin. Joyce will not make it, we can't develop recruits that have grown up with the game so an Irishman has no chance. We must keep in mind that we need to field a team of twenty two so can't get rid of all the dead wood or we would end up with a list of about twelve.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Pedantic but it's not we can't develop talent rather Richo can't. With any luck ratten and lade will

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 7:51pm Would add both Billings and Acres to keep list. Trade Sinclair, McKenzie and Rice ( slow) but may not have much currency. Lonie is uncontracted so has no trade value. Agree we need to give more time to Marshall, Long and Austin. Joyce will not make it, we can't develop recruits that have grown up with the game so an Irishman has no chance. We must keep in mind that we need to field a team of twenty two so can't get rid of all the dead wood or we would end up with a list of about twelve.
It's proven over a number of years that we can't develop players.

Gilbert started at Stkilda with no disposal ability on his right side, he has now been delisted after 200 plus games with the same deficiencies, that is not RICHO's fault.

We have not been able to develop a clearance winning midfield for an eon, Richo not solely to blame.

BTW, what number was Pedantic ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Keep Marshall

Nee!
guitars4
Club Player

6621104 wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 7:27pm Of those who suited up in the last game of the year there are only 6 I would not consider trading; others if a great offer came and some who we are unlikely to be able to move on and who will therefore stay or be delisted.

SO:
Should not be traded- Membrey, Steele, Gresham, Steven, Carlisle, Webster

TRade if offer good - I.e. Gets us into a late first round or early second ( to be used for a gun import) - Billings, Acres, Ross, Geary , ,Lonie, Newnes

Keep as either too soon to rate them or unlikely to get any interest - Long, Marshall, Austin, Sinclair, McKenzie, Rice, Paton, Pierce

Ross - go if we can get into the early second round, Billings if we get a first round pick, Acres a second round only, Gears for whatever is offered and would be a good trade with the suns, LOnie late second round, early third.

We need elite kicks, off loading the ball butchers should be a priority followed by getting into the first round.
Pretty fair assessment but obviously we can't trade every other player outside this six because we still need to field a team but yeah we need to be savvy with the rest of the list.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 7:33pm I would add Sinclair to the trade list,and Billings to the keep list.Interested were we all see Bruce ,Savage and White,trades or keepers
Bruce IMO is clearly our best forward and IMO criminally underrated on here. Plays forward in a team that is poorly coached/structured and offers terrible delivery and was often and inexplicably thrown in the ruck where he SHOULD NOT be played.

White IMO is a keeper too. Another of the has all the tools but clearly not respected by the coach, scapegoated every time he makes a mistake... good teams take players like White and turn them into good players. DOn’t trade him, up skill the coaches so that we can better utilises guys like this.

Savage... if you could get a second red pick for him, take it in a heartbeat. Not damaging enough as a quarterback and way too unaccountable to tolerate his shonky disposal. He has patches where he is okay. It I don’t know where he fits... I reckon he needs to either reinvent himself as a mid/forward or possibly you could try turning him into a lockdown defender who can hurt the opposition more than Geary then,
Flick him

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 7:50pm Fair call on Sinclair but I doubt we would get any interest. A first rounder for Billings would be acceptable in my view, he does not play to his draft position so another should be tried. We need to be in this draft somehow to have the wherewithal to make a play for some real talent. A first and second round pick ( Billings and Ross) for a Scully or a Sheil would be a possibility.
Your possibility is a million to one.

So, Billings "does not play to his draft position, so another should be tried', yet you reckon another mob will offer us a similar draft choice in exchange? Sorry, does not compute.

My great fear is someone like JB will leave, because the 'operations management' of the joint is rubbish, and go on and get the chance to display his full bag of talent in a side that a) has a game plan that bears a semblance to viable, and b) is led by some people who have a clue as to how you develop and exploit genuine sporting talent.

Scully? Shiel? You a bookmaker, cos if you are you're not a good one. If we were even considering paying 3/4 of a mil p.a. for Polec, we are extraordinarily desperate.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Freebird
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 9:06pm
BadRossco wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 7:51pm Would add both Billings and Acres to keep list. Trade Sinclair, McKenzie and Rice ( slow) but may not have much currency. Lonie is uncontracted so has no trade value. Agree we need to give more time to Marshall, Long and Austin. Joyce will not make it, we can't develop recruits that have grown up with the game so an Irishman has no chance. We must keep in mind that we need to field a team of twenty two so can't get rid of all the dead wood or we would end up with a list of about twelve.

Gilbert started at Stkilda with no disposal ability on his right side, he has now been delisted after 200 plus games with the same deficiencies, that is not RICHO's fault.

We have not been able to develop a clearance winning midfield for an eon, Richo not solely to blame.

Hird only kicked with his right foot and he was ok

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gresh and Carlisle are really the only untouchables IMO.

Would be inclined to hang on to the first and second years such as Battle, Marshall etc.

Everyone else, if the trade is right....it should be looked at.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintadamski
Club Player

Freebird wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 11:31pm

I am so damned tired hearing this same old can't develop players nonsense - like from Wayne 42.

These are f****** AFL grade players !!!! If they don't have the basic know how to improve their skills through shear experience, then they may as well be children!

Do we have to give them warm bottles of milk to suckle on at half time?!

OUR LIST IS s***!!!! REPEAT....OUR LIST IS s***!!!!!!!

We have recruited average, slow, soft spuds....none of which have any fierceness in them, because they always have to be from 'Good families' and pass some Bull Sheit politically correct psychology test.

OUR RECRUITING SYSTEM IS TERMINALLY FLAWED!

Yes Richo is not a great coach.....but for crying out loud, coaches don't wave magic f****** wands.

This is soooo frustrating
Last edited by saintadamski on Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:04am, edited 1 time in total.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

We can't trade anybody who doesn't want to be traded. I would expect a minimum of movement, either incoming or outgoing. League-wide the number of traded players has been between 20 and 40 in recent years. Free agency means that teams can go grab a mediocre player for nothing but money, so why would any team give up a draft pick for someone like Jack Newnes?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 11:58pm

I am so damned tired hearing this same old can't develop players nonsense - like from Wayne 42.

These are f****** AFL grade players !!!! If they don't have the basic know how to improve their skills through shear experience, then they may as well be children!

Yes Richo is not a great coach.....but for crying out loud, coaches don't wave magic f****** wands.

OK, thanks for clearing that up - every young bloke who walks into an AFL club is presented with the same standard of management excellence in developing talent.

Who would have thought. Every 18 y.o. comes with a full book of pure self knowledge, and is ready to go right from the off.

Pardon my skepticism and, admittedly, sarcasm - I thought long ago Richo is a spud.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintadamski
Club Player

vacuous space wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:04am We can't trade anybody who doesn't want to be traded. I would expect a minimum of movement, either incoming or outgoing. League-wide the number of traded players has been between 20 and 40 in recent years. Free agency means that teams can go grab a mediocre player for nothing but money, so why would any team give up a draft pick for someone like Jack Newnes?
I agree!
The only few players that would have any trade value, generally we would not want to trade.... apart from Steven or Billings perhaps.

Spuds like Newnes have zero trade value.

saintadamski
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:05am

OK, thanks for clearing that up - every young bloke who walks into an AFL club is presented with the same standard of management excellence in developing talent.

Who would have thought. Every 18 y.o. comes with a full book of pure self knowledge, and is ready to go right from the off.

Pardon my skepticism and, admittedly, sarcasm - I thought long ago Richo is a spud.
Experience, and natural strength/intelligence moulds as you get older more than any coach does.

so by your argument, it was Chris Scott's amazing coaching that won Geelong the premiership in his first season as a coach in 2011...nothing to do with the f****** amazing list he inherited?

Yep...he may as well have been down there kicking the footy himself, he was so influential in whether a player could kick with both feet or not...garbage

Or let me guess...it was Bomber Thompsons incredible way of teaching a player how to be incredibly elite - like Gary Ablett Jr...NOTHING to do with his natural gift...right?.he would have been a zero without bomber hahahahahaha

Hate to break it to you....Buckley and Hardwick were 80% out the door before having their arses saved by some stellar recruiting

I repeat.....OUR....LIST....IS...f******.....AWFUL

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:14am

Experience, and natural strength/intelligence moulds as you get older more than any coach does.

so by your argument, it was Chris Scott's amazing coaching that won Geelong the premiership in his first season as a coach in 2011...nothing to do with the f****** amazing list he inherited?

Yep...he may as well have been down there kicking the footy himself, he was so influential in whether a player could kick with both feet or not...garbage

Or let me guess...it was Bomber Thompsons incredible way of teaching a player how to be born incredibly elite - like Gary Ablett Jr....he would have been a zero without bomber hahahahahaha
Keep guessing, 'damski - I pretty flippin' sure you haven't cottoned to my argument.

Of course Scott inherited a top notch list. Who mentioned Scott as a comparison? 'Kicking the footy himself'. Puerile.

As for whipping up the drug addled Bomber? Spare me. And, you used "garbage"?! Physician, heal thyself.

Go through our list of 4th and 5th year players. Then construct 2 columns, the 1st; 'Players who played better football in their 1st and 2nd years, than they have since', the 2nd; 'Players who have played better football after their first coupla years at the club'.

It's a simple exercise, and I and the cohort have done it - the 1st column is way longer than the 2nd.

And, that's a development problem, from the coach on down.

Oh, and BTW, Alistair Clarkson hadn't 'inherited a f****** amazing list', when they won the flag in '08. Nor had Beveridge when the Dogs won. Nor Hardwicke, last year. Truth is, there really aren't 'amazing lists' these days - it's how you put together a cohesive unit, these days.

saintadamski
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:38am
saintadamski wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:14am

Or let me guess...it was Bomber Thompsons incredible way of teaching a player how to be born incredibly elite - like Gary Ablett Jr....he would have been a zero without bomber hahahahahaha
Keep guessing, 'damski - I pretty flippin' sure you haven't cottoned to my argument.

Of course Scott inherited a top notch list. Who mentioned Scott as a comparison? 'Kicking the footy himself'. Puerile.

As for whipping up the drug addled Bomber? Spare me. And, you used "garbage"?! Physician, heal thyself.

Go through our list of 4th and 5th year players. Then construct 2 columns, the 1st; 'Players who played better football in their 1st and 2nd years, than they have since', the 2nd; 'Players who have played better football after their first coupla years at the club'.

It's a simple exercise, and I and the cohort have done it - the 1st column is way longer than the 2nd.

And, that's a development problem, from the coach on down.

Oh, and BTW, Alistair Clarkson hadn't 'inherited a f****** amazing list', when they won the flag in '08. Nor had Beveridge when the Dogs won. Nor Hardwicke, last year. Truth is, there really aren't 'amazing lists' these days - it's how you put together a cohesive unit, these days.
Actually, thre Hawks recruiting leading up to 2008 was unbelievably good.

If you look at the dogs, some of their best players left post 2016... look what happened.

Your logic would argue that Bevo's amazing 'development' would have them still in the top 4!? It doesn't matter what players you have right?....um...wrong

Cohesive unit... that goes without saying.... but if you keep recruiting soft spuds like newnes.... forget about cohesion
Last edited by saintadamski on Sat 08 Sep 2018 1:06am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Sam was shown up often with his disposal, he may have done a school girl, however, he didn't do drugs like the great Hird did.

Whilst we can bulls*** on here, many do, we can't change the history of James Turd or the shite disposal of Sam Gilbert,

Thank F*** they're both gone. :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

We have recruited average, slow, soft spuds....none of which have any fierceness in them, because they always have to be from 'Good families' and pass some Bull Sheit politically correct psychology test.

Who cares if your so damn tired of it, we can't develop players, there is ample proof of it. Hopefully that's why Lethlean is making changes.

elizabethr
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 1:02am

Sam was shown up often with his disposal, he may have done a school girl, however, he didn't do drugs like the great Hird did.

Whilst we can bulls*** on here, many do, we can't change the history of James Turd or the shite disposal of Sam Gilbert,

Intellectual Giant

nothing to say
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 1:08am
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 1:02am

Intellectual Giant
Not a quote that would describe you Er, posting history would say worthless would be more apt. :roll: :roll: :roll:

saintadamski
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 1:06am

Who cares if your so damn tired of it, we can't develop players, there is ample proof of it. Hopefully that's why Lethlean is making changes.
No, there is ample proof of poor recruiting... but then again, I couldn't give a toss about your opinion either,. Especially with bulls*** "who cares" comments like you're in primary school
Last edited by saintadamski on Sat 08 Sep 2018 1:18am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Really Acres & Billings? No Longer, Hickey or McCartin??? Or was the list purely about what we can get the most value for?