Bassat - First Interview

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Bassat - First Interview

Always loyal
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Bassat - First Interview

SemperFidelis wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 4:52pm Richo seems safe for now ...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hig ... 500ih.html
This guy is mad Saints fan and loves the club which is what is required. Very smart operator too...he co-founded Seek for christs sake.

And yep, it appears Richo is at the helm in 2019...maybe. 🙄
Last edited by parkeysainter on Wed 29 Aug 2018 5:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Watch the interview.

Gone.

takeaway
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 5:10pm Watch the interview.

Gone.
Gone when?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Gone.
Gone where?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Gone.
Scott Watters reference?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

AB was directly asked whether Richo will coach round 1 2019. His response: it’s highly unlikely Richo will be sacked”. If Richo’s position as head coach was guaranteed AB would have said so. Highly unlikely leaves the door ajar & is corporate speak for I’m leaving my options open. Once the player exit interviews are concluded & it’s discovered just how much the players don’t rate Richo then there’ll be movement on Richo IMO. It’s no surprise the club is positioning itself with a couple of senior assistant coaches capable of stepping up if/when required. My gut fee is Harvey senior coach & Rats coaching director. Watch this space.
Last edited by Myron Gaines on Wed 29 Aug 2018 6:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2018-08- ... presidency

Interview from website.

But if the coach is "gone" before start of season 2019 that wasn't evident to me.

Always loyal
stonecold
SS Life Member

Good interview Fred!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Didn't realise he was worth so much money, 13th wealthiest in Australia in 2015 234 mil

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 6:44pm Didn't realise he was worth so much money, 13th wealthiest in Australia in 2015 234 mil

Not sure where you got your info from but the richest 200 in 2018 starts at $387 million. Richest Saint connection in Lindsay Fox who comes in at $3.56 Billion.

Bassat while very wealthy is not listed within the Top 200.

https://www.afr.com/brand/afr-magazine/ ... 413-h0yqo5
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 29 Aug 2018 7:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

reread the source and it was top 20 "executive" richest list by Forbes 2015.

13. Andrew Bassat
Company: SEEk
Value of shares: $ 234.2 million
Role: CEO

Pays to read the whole thing sometimes

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So what would ASIS make of these intercepts. New President says coach sacking highly unlikely. Outgoing President writes to members and amongst the goodbyes are references to please stay loyal and my philosophy was hands off (but didn't work). The kiss of death often comes when a President says the coach has full support. ASIS outline: the club knows it is bleeding goodwill and wealth and needs to stop that asap. It also knows coach is on the nose and on all evidence can't coach. New President is a good operator. Myron Gaines foresees significant internal negative feedback about coach. Probable scenario: Coach will be asked to give a presentation to the new Board after Christmas to convince them he has a grasp on big on field improvements, this will need to include insightful analysis of where all other clubs are at and our approach to beat them. Platitudes won't cut it. Succession planning already underway. Coach at best 50/50 to coach R1 2019.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 7:31pm reread the source and it was top 20 "executive" richest list by Forbes 2015.

13. Andrew Bassat

Anyway yes he is still very wealthy.

Even better is that he is very smart AND likes to improves things.

As long as he views the Presidency as something to excel at rather than being a Trophy for being successful we should do well.

HOWEVER what I want to see is massive board turnover and not just Thommo and Summers departing.

Summers is leaving the board I assume and not just vacating the Presidents seat?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 30 Aug 2018 3:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 7:59pm
ausfatcat wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 7:31pm reread the source and it was top 20 "executive" richest list by Forbes 2015.

13. Andrew Bassat

Anyway yes he is still very wealthy.

Even better is that he is very smart AND likes to improves things.

As long as views the Presidency as something to excel at rather than being a Trophy for being successful we should do well.

HOWEVER what I want to see is massive board turnover and not just Thommo and Summers departing.

Summers is leaving the board I assume and not just vacating the Presidents seat?
Summers is leaving the board.....9 years up can not run

saint4life
Saint 58
Club Player

Step 1 - Ratten as assistant coach
Step 2 - Bassat as president
Step 3 - Harvey as senior coach

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 7:31pm So what would ASIS make of these intercepts. New President says coach sacking highly unlikely. Outgoing President writes to members and amongst the goodbyes are references to please stay loyal and my philosophy was hands off (but didn't work). The kiss of death often comes when a President says the coach has full support. ASIS outline: the club knows it is bleeding goodwill and wealth and needs to stop that asap. It also knows coach is on the nose and on all evidence can't coach. New President is a good operator. Myron Gaines foresees significant internal negative feedback about coach. Probable scenario: Coach will be asked to give a presentation to the new Board after Christmas to convince them he has a grasp on big on field improvements, this will need to include insightful analysis of where all other clubs are at and our approach to beat them. Platitudes won't cut it. Succession planning already underway. Coach at best 50/50 to coach R1 2019.
I notice that Basset has already contradicted Richo'.

Bassett acknowledged that our recent performances have made it hard to attract elite playing talent.

Richo said that wouldn't be the case...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Seriously? Other than contradicting Richo, what a load of delusional crap!!!

I can only hope that Bassett was holding his tongue out of pity for Summalovin'. If not, then we're in big trouble.

(Points for not wearing a tie at least.)

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Have been thinking about what's been happening under our current Saint's regime. And like parkeysainter... I've turned. :twisted:

I'm very very unhappy! (Understatement! :x ) I've decided that unless things are turned around bloody quickly (which is looking very unlikely), then at the next AGM I shall be getting up and saying the following piece.

l promise to provide some good theatre. (Though upon reflection, I've decided to leave out the line about the club creating a 'Hall of Shame', with these clowns as the inaugural inductees. ;) )

Thank you for this opportunity to speak. I shall be brief. Hence the following is merely just a summary. Though I can happily back it up in depth if needed.

Cutting to the chase...

I've followed our beloved Saintas since 1967. So yeah, still waiting. And with that in mind...

This administration is the worst I can remember! Period!

- You mishandled our strong on-field position post the Lyon era.

- You continued Wasteway's mishandling of our strong off-field financial position post the Butterssssssssssssssssssss era.

- Worst of all. You are responsible for the greatest stuff-up in the history of our beloved club! And I’m not channelling Donald Turnip and his hyperbole with that statement.

I repeat. You-are-responsible-for-the-greatest-stuff-up-in-the-history-of-our-beloved-club! Blowing our chance of the game-changing return to St Kilda. (Team Drugcheat are looking to have their $10 million debt paid off mid 2019. How the hell is it that we can't attract that sort of sponsorship??? Hint. Hidden in outer Seaford didn't help. Another hint. Hidden down a side street in Moorabbin doesn't help much more either.)

The more I think about this stuff, the more pissed-off I am at what-has-been-squandered!

I don't recall hearing or reading anything saying that any of the remaining BOM members spoke up in the past against any of the above. Therefore, till I hear/see proof to the contrary, I hold all the remaining BOM members to be part of the collective guilt, and I therefore have no-faith-in-any-of-you!

I don't know who would be the best current people to make up our BOM. What I do know. That I want every single one of you incompetents out of any position of influence over our club!!!

Do you think I'm being too harsh??? If you think so, fine. Then please, prove-me-wrong. Fix things! Or get the hell out!

There you go Sainters. No bloody vanilla!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Bassat didn't come across as a good speaker, it was almost like he's a mumbler.

I'll need to hear him speak more often coz he may have been out celebrating his new job, steering the Titanic, prior to being interviewed. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 11:27pm Bassat didn't come across as a good speaker, it was almost like he's a mumbler.

I'll need to hear him speak more often coz he may have been out celebrating his new job, steering the Titanic, prior to being interviewed. :lol:
Think he's deaf in one year.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Poorly executed PR. A really good opportunity to set the tone with a speech that cuts straight to the issues, rather than nervously throwing to questions and then fumbling over them.

Reporter: "Why should you sign up?"
Bassatt: "Because we need you more than ever".

Christ, that's inspirational.

He doesn't come across as somebody prepared to slay dragons in the footy world.

What I'd like to know is whether he's actually prepared to use the role to move the club forward or if he sees it as a reward for his success in business.

Somewhat concerning that Summers has had a role in hand-picking the president when his own, unbelievably regressive and totally forgettable term expires (aside from moving back to Moorabbin, his only win).

My gut feeling is that Summers is better suited to being one of the suits at the corporate lunches, putting money in behind the scenes, rather than being the front man.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 11:46pm
Wayne42 wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 11:27pm Bassat didn't come across as a good speaker, it was almost like he's a mumbler.

Think he's deaf in one year.
Interesting prediction! We need a President who listens.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 2:42am Poorly executed PR. A really good opportunity to set the tone with a speech that cuts straight to the issues, rather than nervously throwing to questions and then fumbling over them.

Reporter: "Why should you sign up?"
Bassatt: "Because we need you more than ever".

Christ, that's inspirational.

He doesn't come across as somebody prepared to slay dragons in the footy world.

What I'd like to know is whether he's actually prepared to use the role to move the club forward or if he sees it as a reward for his success in business.

Somewhat concerning that Summers has had a role in hand-picking the president when his own, unbelievably regressive and totally forgettable term expires (aside from moving back to Moorabbin, his only win).

My gut feeling is that Summers is better suited to being one of the suits at the corporate lunches, putting money in behind the scenes, rather than being the front man.
I think the jist of it is that they want board members who are revenue focused.

I take that to mean, they're looking for people who can get bucks from their mates in the door.

I'm assuming this is why he got the nod as President - not for his Braveheart style leadership.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 10:07pm Have been thinking about what's been happening under our current Saint's regime. And like parkeysainter... I've turned. :twisted:

I'm very very unhappy! (Understatement! :x ) I've decided that unless things are turned around bloody quickly (which is looking very unlikely), then at the next AGM I shall be getting up and saying the following piece.

l promise to provide some good theatre. (Though upon reflection, I've decided to leave out the line about the club creating a 'Hall of Shame', with these clowns as the inaugural inductees. ;) )

Thank you for this opportunity to speak. I shall be brief. Hence the following is merely just a summary. Though I can happily back it up in depth if needed.

Cutting to the chase...

I've followed our beloved Saintas since 1967. So yeah, still waiting. And with that in mind...

This administration is the worst I can remember! Period!

- You mishandled our strong on-field position post the Lyon era.

- You continued Wasteway's mishandling of our strong off-field financial position post the Butterssssssssssssssssssss era.

- Worst of all. You are responsible for the greatest stuff-up in the history of our beloved club! And I’m not channelling Donald Turnip and his hyperbole with that statement.

I repeat. You-are-responsible-for-the-greatest-stuff-up-in-the-history-of-our-beloved-club! Blowing our chance of the game-changing return to St Kilda. (Team Drugcheat are looking to have their $10 million debt paid off mid 2019. How the hell is it that we can't attract that sort of sponsorship??? Hint. Hidden in outer Seaford didn't help. Another hint. Hidden down a side street in Moorabbin doesn't help much more either.)

The more I think about this stuff, the more pissed-off I am at what-has-been-squandered!

I don't recall hearing or reading anything saying that any of the remaining BOM members spoke up in the past against any of the above. Therefore, till I hear/see proof to the contrary, I hold all the remaining BOM members to be part of the collective guilt, and I therefore have no-faith-in-any-of-you!

I don't know who would be the best current people to make up our BOM. What I do know. That I want every single one of you incompetents out of any position of influence over our club!!!

Do you think I'm being too harsh??? If you think so, fine. Then please, prove-me-wrong. Fix things! Or get the hell out!

There you go Sainters. No bloody vanilla!
They won’t let you get past: “I shall be brief”.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.