Andrew Bassett vs Jim Watts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Preferred next President

Bassett
49%
Watts
51%
Someone else
No votes

Total votes: 43

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Andrew Bassett vs Jim Watts

Much of the comments made so far is quite misinformed. This story emerged in yesterday's edition of The Age newspaper and gives substance to what has been mentioned in the electronic media in the past few weeks. As far as I'm aware no-one on this forum has any inside information of what has been discussed at Board meetings, and it is not reasonable to dismiss Bassatt's attitude to change over that of Jim Watts because he has been on the Board during the current slump in the team's performance. For all we know he may well have instigated the early departure of Summers, and voted against the extension of Richo's contract last year - we just don't know any of this.

My view is that we should be pleased that there will be major changes happening at St Kilda in the next few months, both to the Board, the football department and the playing list.

As a financial member I am prepared to give this my full support, and will keep an open mind on how this translates to on field success under the current senior coach in season 2019, irrespective of who becomes the new club President. This is the reality of the current situation, and anything else is sheer speculation.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I’m OK with Bassat provided Richo gets the arse at the end of this season. That’s a non-negotiable. I reckon with Watts that’s certain to happen, Bassat I’m not sure.

The other candidate mentioned in the media is Jack Rush.

I can tell as fact he knows nothing about footy. Source: Horse’s mouth. But he is a very nice bloke!

So if you want a “footy president” (ie one that knows footy from an industry perspective) perhaps that’s Watts.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

From MG Bigfooty

******€*****€**€€€€€€€*****

I said months ago that Richo had lost most of the playing group and was shot down by the usual suspects.
Things are not well, footballers know when things aren’t right and they certainly aren’t right.
Listen to what Caro has been saying about our club, it’s sick on the inside. Even Lethlean and Finnis have had numerous disagreements over Richo being exempt from the footy department review, those two aren’t big fans of each other.
The hopeful path now is to get a new president and a “new” board so that they can make a call on the coach without facing any backlash over the extension.
Looking very likely Brett Ratten will be at our club next season, whether that is as a senior assistant or as senior coach is yet to be decided.

“Yeah….nah””
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 12:40pm From MG Bigfooty

******€*****€**€€€€€€€*****

I said months ago that Richo had lost most of the playing group and was shot down by the usual suspects.
Things are not well, footballers know when things aren’t right and they certainly aren’t right.
Listen to what Caro has been saying about our club, it’s sick on the inside. Even Lethlean and Finnis have had numerous disagreements over Richo being exempt from the footy department review, those two aren’t big fans of each other.
The hopeful path now is to get a new president and a “new” board so that they can make a call on the coach without facing any backlash over the extension.
Looking very likely Brett Ratten will be at our club next season, whether that is as a senior assistant or as senior coach is yet to be decided.
Concerning to say the least. Richo, Finnis & Summers all need to go they’ve built this toxic environment. We need a circuit breaker.

Rocket
Club Player

Hearing Ratten is a done deal; as assistant.. Had a falling out with Clarkson.

Anyone hearing anything re R.Harvey ????

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Why to I favour Watts?

Well I know from his past history at the Saints that he is not content with the status quo or the Saints being Cellar Dwellers AND that he has driven positive change. I know he will be passionate to drive us back up the ladder and to improve us offield and and on. History also indicates that he was effective at this.

Now maybe Bassat could achieve likewise. However the only thing that I know at present with respect to Bassat is that he is part of a current board that has made many bad decisions at a period where the club has been sliding backwards. So my question is why will he be different if he becomes the President?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saint 58
Club Player

Rocket wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 1:20pm Hearing Ratten is a done deal; as assistant.. Had a falling out with Clarkson.

Yep, a lady I work with said that if Andrew BASSAT (come on guys get names right), becomes Prez then R. Harvey will be the next senior coach with B. Ratten as an assistant.
This lady was married to an ex Tigers/Saints footballer & still keeps in touch with "football people" at Richmond & St. Kilda.
I can't say any more on that.

She thinks that Banger is too nice to be a good senior coach, BUT that's just her opinion.
I think that after 6(?) years at the Pies, he would make a good senior coach, BUT that's just my opinion.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 2:06pm
Rocket wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 1:20pm Hearing Ratten is a done deal; as assistant.. Had a falling out with Clarkson.

Yep, a lady I work with said that if Andrew BASSAT (come on guys get names right), becomes Prez then R. Harvey will be the next senior coach with B. Ratten as an assistant.
This lady was married to an ex Tigers/Saints footballer & still keeps in touch with "football people" at Richmond & St. Kilda.

She thinks that Banger is too nice to be a good senior coach, BUT that's just her opinion.
I think that after 6(?) years at the Pies, he would make a good senior coach, BUT that's just my opinion.
Can’t see Harvey as a senior coach
He’ll do more damage to himself club when we have to part ways in less than ideal circumstances

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 1:20pm
Why?

If you mean as head coach, can we really afford based on where we currently are to experiment with an assistant coach becoming a head coach for the first time?

We already have so many things against us that IMO a MUST is someone who has already been a head coach. It is one reason I would like Ratten to be given the job.

We are a club full of people with L-Plates on at present. Our next Head Coach.

If you mean as an assistant. Now that the Pies are at last a contender again I would be very surprised if he moved clubs for 2019.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint6709
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 2:12pm

He’ll do more damage to himself club when we have to part ways in less than ideal circumstances
I was standing in the animal enclosure for Harveys first game at Moorabbin - he was very young - did a few nice things but no way you would have predicted what a star he would become ( his surname was still connected with cricket)
The point of that little story was that maybe us guys in the stands should be careful about under estimating champions - I have no idea whether or not he would make a good coach and am also a little hesitant about wanting him because I am a bit scared for him and the club - BUT what would I know - I really know nothing about him - but again I can see that maybe its a mistake to under estimate this bloke.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I suppose he couldn’t be worse than Thomas

“Yeah….nah””
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

David Koch might be on the market soon.

A proven performer.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I don't know enough about Bassett or Watts. Can only hope it's not another case of choosing out of a giant douche or a turd sandwich.
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 12:03pm
What do the ITKs think, Jaxons?
Apparently Jaxons is no longer the club janitor. He got left behind at Seaford.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saint 58
Club Player

Yes I would hate to see him fail at the job & have to resign or be sacked.
But who knows, IF it happens he may be the one !

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

If that's the case and the best Bassatt can come up with, then Watts is definitely the man.

I see no evidence that Harvey will make a good Head Coach and despite been a Champion player, I don't think he will. I'm comfortable with Ratten as an Assistant, but as a Head Coach he has failed before.

If Richo is moved on, how about throwing it open to applications and workout which is the best one? Ross Lyon came from nowhere to get the job in 2006, Longmire and McKenna were considered the ones to get. I say seriously that Malthouse would be a better option than Harvey or Ratten as Head Coach. Not saying we should get Malthouse, but I'd prefer him to Harvey or Ratten.

People have got to appreciate that just because Ratten is at Hawthorn, it doesn't make him Clarkson. He may be familiar with Clarkson's current systems but that doesn't give him Clarkson's imagination and brain.

takeaway
Club Player

I'm sorry about this Teflon, but I agree with you. Harvey too nice, not enough mongrel.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 2:27pm
Rocket wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 1:20pm
Why?

If you mean as head coach, can we really afford based on where we currently are to experiment with an assistant coach becoming a head coach for the first time?

We already have so many things against us that IMO a MUST is someone who has already been a head coach. It is one reason I would like Ratten to be given the job.

We are a club full of people with L-Plates on at present. Our next Head Coach.

If you mean as an assistant. Now that the Pies are at last a contender again I would be very surprised if he moved clubs for 2019.
+1 to all of this

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 3:36pm

If that's the case and the best Bassatt can come up with, then Watts is definitely the man.

I see no evidence that Harvey will make a good Head Coach and despite been a Champion player, I don't think he will. I'm comfortable with Ratten as an Assistant, but as a Head Coach he has failed before.

If Richo is moved on, how about throwing it open to applications and workout which is the best one? Ross Lyon came from nowhere to get the job in 2006, Longmire and McKenna were considered the ones to get. I say seriously that Malthouse would be a better option than Harvey or Ratten as Head Coach. Not saying we should get Malthouse, but I'd prefer him to Harvey or Ratten.

People have got to appreciate that just because Ratten is at Hawthorn, it doesn't make him Clarkson. He may be familiar with Clarkson's current systems but that doesn't give him Clarkson's imagination and brain.
I'd strongly disagree with you assertion LL that Ratten has failed before. He took an average Carlton to finals 3 years in a row (after a sustained period of rubbish under Pagan) and was harshly dealt with by his club when terminating him. Had Malthouse not managed to get himself turfed from the cushy role the filth had made for him - I'd suggest Ratten would have stayed put. Carltoon royally stuffed it up by being seduced by the idea of Malthouse crossing from the dark side.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 4:19pm

I'm sorry about this Teflon, but I agree with you. Harvey too nice, not enough mongrel.
Finally seen the light!!
Great to have you onboard - now let’s sack ourselves a coach!!

“Yeah….nah””
takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 7:55pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 4:19pm

Finally seen the light!!
Great to have you onboard - now let’s sack ourselves a coach!!
Hook.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Bassett CONFIRMED NEW PRESIDENT TODAY.

Like.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sanctorum
Club Player

Delighted with this announcement and it will be even better if Jim Watts is elected to the new Board at the AGM in December.

It is to be hoped that Andrew Bassat brings strong and demonstrative leadership to the St Kilda Football Club because the last two Presidents (Westaway and Summers) were far too low key.

A priority for the new Board must be to develop a positive profile for the club in the marketplace so that they can attract one or more national brand sponsor to back the team - with due respect to the current sponsors, not one is exactly a "household name".

For those on this forum who feel that Bassat, as an existing Director was part of the so called failings of the Board under Summers, give the man the benefit of the doubt. As I posted previously, we don't know what role if any Bassat played in the extension of Richo's contract in 2017 and for all we know he opposed it....we'll never know.

I really like the fact that Bassat is only 52 and his obvious success in business indicates that he is highly motivated to do whatever is necessary to turn the club's fortunes around.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Craw
Club Player

Jim Watts was the reason Archie Fraser was at St Kilda ..... What do you think of him now ?

Not Craw, CRAW!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 4:22pm Jim Watts was the reason Archie Fraser was at St Kilda ..... What do you think of him now ?
Indeed. If that doesn't make us all breathe a collective sigh of relief over Bassat's appointment...

And results from the poll show that a majority wanted Watts :shock:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 4:02pm Delighted with this announcement and it will be even better if Jim Watts is elected to the new Board at the AGM in December.

It is to be hoped that Andrew Bassat brings strong and demonstrative leadership to the St Kilda Football Club because the last two Presidents (Westaway and Summers) were far too low key.

A priority for the new Board must be to develop a positive profile for the club in the marketplace so that they can attract one or more national brand sponsor to back the team - with due respect to the current sponsors, not one is exactly a "household name".

For those on this forum who feel that Bassat, as an existing Director was part of the so called failings of the Board under Summers, give the man the benefit of the doubt. As I posted previously, we don't know what role if any Bassat played in the extension of Richo's contract in 2017 and for all we know he opposed it....we'll never know.

I really like the fact that Bassat is only 52 and his obvious success in business indicates that he is highly motivated to do whatever is necessary to turn the club's fortunes around.
And Bassat has only been on the Board for just over 1 year (so Summers mentioned in their interview)......... so he can’t be held to account for all the so called ‘sins and stuff ups’ that the negative nellies on this site have been accusing this Board of over the years.
I agree with Sanctorum, ‘give the man the benefit of the doubt’.