Andrew Bassett vs Jim Watts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Preferred next President

Bassett
49%
Watts
51%
Someone else
No votes

Total votes: 43

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Andrew Bassett vs Jim Watts

It appears that our next president will either be Bassett or Watts with Bassett the favourite due to having more support from the current board.

My major concern is that I suspect Bassett will continue to fully support Finnis & by extension he will retain Richo.

I hope I’m wrong & Bassett implements more change at a higher lever instead of only moving on the insignificant staff whilst keeping all the senior assistants & Richo. I have my doubts & it’s looking extremely disappointing.
Last edited by Myron Gaines on Sat 18 Aug 2018 12:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Andrew Bassett vs Jim Watts

I don't care which one it is, as long as it not Summers.

The candidates need to have a plan on what they expect from the football department.
The ability to demand those that don't cut it. walk.
A plan on how to eradicate our debt.
A plan to ensure the club doesn't end up a financial basket case again, after the debt is gone, as it so often does.
A plan on how to stop the club getting it wrong time and time and time and time again.
A plan. :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 8:28pm It appears that our next president will either be Bassett or Watts with Bassett the favourite due to having more support from the current board.

The last part is the important part.

The current board has overseen our current sorry state. As the board they are responsible and accountable for our position and so why in the hell should this sorry incompetent board be the ones who decide what our future will be based upon? Why at this late stage would they deem that they could now make a right call.

They should not be the ones to decide. Their proven incompetence as a board makes them not suited to this very important task.

With Bassat too, you have to remember that he is on the current board, and as such is jointly responsible for where we are.

Why would he suddenly be the best candidate?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 18 Aug 2018 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Myron Gaines
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 11:31pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 8:28pm It appears that our next president will either be Bassett or Watts with Bassett the favourite due to having more support from the current board.

The current board has overseen our current sorry state. As the board they are responsible and accountable for our position and so why in the hell should this sorry incompetent board be the ones who decide what our future will be based upon? Why at this late stage would they deem that they could now make a right call.

They should not be the ones to decide. Their proven incompetence as a board makes them not suited to this very important task.

With Bassatt too, you have to remember that he is on the current board, and as such is jointly responsible for where we are.

The only reason Bassett would suddenly become the best candidate is if he has identified the issues at the club, head coach being one, & subsequently plans to fix those issues, including sacking the head coach.

The question needs to be asked why Summers is stepping down a year early. Is it because of external pressure or internal pressure? Does Bassett disagree with some of the past decisions lead by Summers or is he just the next bloke in line for the role & change makes it look like the club is at least doing something?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 11:45pm

The only reason Bassett would suddenly become the best candidate is if he has identified the issues at the club, head coach being one, & subsequently plans to fix those issues, including sacking the head coach.

The question needs to be asked why Summers is stepping down a year early. Is it because of external pressure or internal pressure? Does Bassett disagree with some of the past decisions lead by Summers or is he just the next bloke in line for the role & change makes it look like the club is at least doing something?
I would be 99% confident that it is external pressure.

There have been indications all season that there were some powerful and well connected Saints not on the board agitating for change. Not as a "bloodbath" as Caro has tried to inflame, but as something that needed to be done at seasons end.

If the only real change to the board is Bassat in as President, Summers off the board and one new board member on then IMO that is way too little.

The current board have been spectators to a train wreck. We need a committed board to do a lot more than just wear St Kilda ties.

Tommyj
Club Player

Bassett is the favourite by the board yeah no wonder probably the only chance of keeping their jobs bring on WATTS

kaos theory
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 11:31pm

With Bassatt too, you have to remember that he is on the current board, and as such is jointly responsible for where we are.

100%

This board approved the direction that Summers, Finnis and Richo took the club.

This was a direction of failure, turning us into a beige, 'nice' st.klida that can't play football, but it up on all the social trends such as gender fluidity!

The board needs a clean out too.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Just a technical question here....I'm wondering who appoints the President or the Board?

Can I assume that (us) members vote to elect Board Members? And should I assume that the Board members nominate a leader among them to be the President?

So how frequent are the elections? and when is the next one?

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

"Watts’ pitch has been that the club lacks flair and needs be bolder."

Vote 1 Watts.

The club needs to grow some balls.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Will be Bassett.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

If its Bassett what's the point? Its just window dressing, unless Bassett has completely divergent views to the rest of the Board.

How about these d'heads stop trying to work it out among themselves and allow the members to decide.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bassett put forward his vision, Watts put forward his vision and then the Members voted on it. Its called democracy and a mob of 40,0000 is more likely to ge it right.

As far as I'm concerned there is a giant question mark on any current incumbent.

What do the ITKs think, Jaxons?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 12:03pm If its Bassett what's the point? Its just window dressing, unless Bassett has completely divergent views to the rest of the Board.

How about these d'heads stop trying to work it out among themselves and allow the members to decide.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bassett put forward his vision, Watts put forward his vision and then the Members voted on it. Its called democracy and a mob of 40,0000 is more likely to ge it right.

As far as I'm concerned there is a giant question mark on any current incumbent.

My hope is that there’s enough external pressure for Bassett to sack Richo.

Summers position is untenable if Richo is retained because he lead the club in extending his contract. Even know Bassett was on the board it’s far more palatable for him to become president & then sack Richo.

I hope.

kaos theory
Club Player

Is the St.Kilda Board made up of a pack of Idiots?

After overseeing and approving of the destruction of a successful culture at our football club, and implementing a new soft, politically correct St.Kilda that can't play football, this board expects to continue the death spiral of the club by implementing more of the same by shifting out one AFL compliant drone (Summers) with another (Basset), and then expects us supporters (i.e paying customers) to roll over and accept this.

Sorry, but WE supporters are not as stupid as you are, and WE supporters care more for the football club than you do.

How can the board accept Basset over Watts? Its simple, read Watts position:

"Watts has spoken to a number of board members and also sought AFL support. Watts, one of the founders of the Bastion Collective, a business with strong AFL connections (former AFL boss Andrew Demetriou is a director), was both a board member and chief executive at the Saints during the Rod Butterss (president) and Grant Thomas (coach) era in the mid-2000s, when the Saints regularly made headlines and surged up the ladder with unorthodox leadership.

Watts’ pitch has been that the club lacks flair and needs be bolder."

Yet you bozos prefer Basset, because he is not going to 'rock the boat'. Unless were hear something very different coming from basset the choice for us supports (paying customers) is very clear.

I prefer a complete overhaul of the board, with summers, finnis and richo booted out the door. I hope those that are thinking the same and have the connections in place move forward and challenge these monkeys and get them out of our club before its too late.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I think its time for the members, if possible, to call an Extraordinary General Meeting. Is it possible? I would hope so in a membership organisation. So what do we need to do to make it happen?

What I'm hearing is that Bassett has the edge because he's Gerry Ryan's preference. Gerry Ryan may be a substantial benefactor to the Club, however it doesn't mean he should run it just because of his philanthropy. Unless he puts his hand up to be President.

He may be right about Bassett or he may be completely wrong, at the end of the day he is only 1 member.

I'm leaning towards Watts, because he was involved in the Club under Butters and Thomas, a time we got about with our shoulders straight and chest out. I'd like to see what both have to offer and decide in a demographic fashion. The Club has not earned our confidence to let them decide among themselves.

Whiskey
Club Player

Re: Is the St.Kilda Board made up of a pack of Idiots?

The saints board is always a problem.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

At the moment it's hard to vote for a preference as we have heard from neither what their future vision is.

If Bassett wants change then he may be okay.

But if Bassett is same same then Watts would get my vote.

Bring on the EGM.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Hey Moderator, could I suggest that we merge all the threads regarding the Board, there are currently 2, this one and the Bassett versus Watts one.

Its an important issue which should be discussed, it'd be a pity if that discussion was fragmented over a number of threads. Thanks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 12:03pm
Well I do not know what Jaxons knows/thinks..... but another ITK (one who stated early in the season that there was a group outiside the board who would challenge the current board) thinks that if Watts comes in, that Richo goes.

With Bassat? Who knows.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 12:49pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 12:03pm
Well I do not know what Jaxons knows/thinks..... but another ITK (one who stated early in the season that there was a group outiside the board who would challenge the current board) thinks that if Watts comes in, that Richo goes.

With Bassat? Who knows.
It make little sense for Summers to finish 12 months early, a current board member steps up & the footy department largely remains the same. Unless they truly think we/supporters are all fools that is. WE want a president that is going to make significant changes to the coaching/footy department. Dal Santo said this week that young players are not being developed as they would be at other clubs. That’s alarming. Really, Finnis needs to go,
Lethlean needs to step up (he looks like he wants to make changes however is somewhat hampered by Finnis) & bring in quality people into the footy department.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Tommyj wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 4:33am Bassett is the favourite by the board yeah no wonder probably the only chance of keeping their jobs bring on WATTS
OH FFS!! Board members don't get paid!!!! Its a voluntary position, every one of them give up their time for free.

kaos theory
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 12:43pm Hey Moderator, could I suggest that we merge all the threads regarding the Board, there are currently 2, this one and the Bassett versus Watts one.

Its an important issue which should be discussed, it'd be a pity if that discussion was fragmented over a number of threads. Thanks.
I'm putting the focus directly on the board, and I ask a legitimate question about their competence. Its not solely about the basset v watts situation.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

kaos theory wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 1:37pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 12:43pm Hey Moderator, could I suggest that we merge all the threads regarding the Board, there are currently 2, this one and the Bassett versus Watts one.

I'm putting the focus directly on the board, and I ask a legitimate question about their competence. Its not solely about the basset v watts situation.
Yes, but its one of the factors to be considered when deciding who is best to lead the Club. Bassatt is currently on the Board, Watts isn't.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 2:26pm

Yes, but its one of the factors to be considered when deciding who is best to lead the Club. Bassatt is currently on the Board, Watts isn't.
Well if being on the board is your criterion, I think you need to consider performance:

BOTH have been on St Kilda Boards.
ONE has been on a St Kilda Board that improved the the club (Onfield and financially)
ONE has been on a St Kilda Board that has overseen the club going backwards (Onfield and financially)
ONE has also served as a St Kilda CEO

Tommyj
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 1:21pm
Tommyj wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 4:33am Bassett is the favourite by the board yeah no wonder probably the only chance of keeping their jobs bring on WATTS
OH FFS!! Board members don't get paid!!!! Its a voluntary position, every one of them give up their time for free.
Ok well maybe they should use their FREE time doing a job that they think they're getting paid for or get out