Torn-big time!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Torn-big time!

Season 2019- let's hope it starts with fresh new look Saints.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:31am i've given up. been a hawks supporter these last six years. just come on here to remind me what a smart move it was.
you poor bastards!
I can't believe you think that's funny.

p.s. Can you send me some links on how to sign up.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

HitTheBoundary wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:51pm
desertsaint wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:31am i've given up. been a hawks supporter these last six years. just come on here to remind me what a smart move it was.
you poor bastards!
I can't believe you think that's funny.

p.s. Can you send me some links on how to sign up.
it is inviting isnt it HtB? but beware - you will have to put up with the Trump Aussie equivalent in J.G. Kennett

Seeya
footynut
Club Player

Trading away our a top 5 pick, worst idea in history!!!! Full stop.

Two 1st rounds last year, add player with top end talent. And if we're lucky enough to snag one of the
quality mids, the nucleus to our midfield for the next 10 years

guitars4
Club Player

I will stay a member until they cease to exist as a Victorian based club but the way things are going it might be closer than I think :cry: After that I will just fade into the sunset start a new hobby drink more alcohol & probably die from liver cancer earlier than I would have. :?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 10:05am
parkeysainter wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:26am We will bounce back as a club next year. Wait and see.

New list. New players. New coaches. New staff. New gameplan. New atmosphere. New beginning.

But I may be wrong. 😂
Just like the bloke in the monty python film who said it was a just a flesh wound and he'd be ok after he grew back New Arms

Yes. You may be wrong. But that's ok. Stay positive. Be happy!

I prefer to remain positive.

Plus the bloke in that clip actually necked himself. He obviously wasn't very happy after all.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

It comes down to the CEO giving, through the board, a 2 year extension. He (CEO) can't bring himself to sack him (AR) before the extension kicks in as it would be the ultimate professional humiliation and he cares more about that than the club. He needs an out and that will come with early losses next year. I won't abandon the Club because the CEO made a catastrophic mistake and needs time to weasel his way out of it. What I will be looking for is AR to be neutralised in terms of game day inertia and poor selection/positional decisions. I worry that we won't attract strong a/coaches but it could be a challenge some really smart tough guys will embrace as a chance to really shine with little downside to their professional reps. When the full list is available and the accidental v. good players we have unearthed use this years experience I expect a dramatic improvement in 2019, yes from a miserably low base.... nevertheless. I am also counting on a couple of good signings e.g. a really attacking half back and a skilful/tough mid. Finiss' next problem will be, I hope, how to get rid of a lame duck coach before 2020 with a side that has improved out of sight. What Finnis possibly doesn't appreciate is that everyone already thinks he is a complete fool for pushing the extension and that the current cunning plan will fool anyone. However history is full of ridiculous serendipity - our turn for a slice?

older saint
SS Life Member

I can understand the frustration and really a feeling of helplessness. I grew up in late 70's and 80's where we won 3-5 games year after year. You looked at the list realised we weren't great but saw a few stars - Barker, Cunningham, Burns, then Lockett, Frawley, into Harvey and Burke as the light finally started to rise. we had the close calls of 91 ( ridiculous finals system killed us) and 92 - Frawley's injury . Then the fall of 93 following the great Vic park win and Winmar stand off that ripped the heart out of the place. 94 was tough then Plugger left and the rebuild started . 97 - Bloody Ruckmen getting injured and 98 hanging on while imploding, down again but 2000 Blight ( at least he helped recruit) Hamill, Gehrig, and pick 1 & 2 and the future was set.

Again recently after the Watters error i could feel things building - 9th in 2016 , on the rise and tracking beautifully to round 16 last year, then the fall away starts and travels through 2017 .

We are at the same point as the end of 1998, without Harvey, Burke, Loewe, players are lost to the coach and the talent just isnt there. Change is needed however I am to believe only the periphery will change the the head(s) remain.

Like you no automatic renewal for first time in 40 years, i need some time to think !

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I’ve already cancelled the automatic renewal for my membership and have no intentions of renewing as long as Summers and Finnis are still running the club.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
minneapolis
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 9:26pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 10:05am
parkeysainter wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:26am We will bounce back as a club next year. Wait and see.

New list. New players. New coaches. New staff. New gameplan. New atmosphere. New beginning.

But I may be wrong. 😂
Just like the bloke in the monty python film who said it was a just a flesh wound and he'd be ok after he grew back New Arms

Yes. You may be wrong. But that's ok. Stay positive. Be happy!

I prefer to remain positive.

Plus the bloke in that clip actually necked himself. He obviously wasn't very happy after all.
Parkey,

Bobby McFerrin is still alive. (I dunno about Richo though).

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

you poor bastards!
I'm calling 'BS' to that post! (Big time!)

I happen to know that Swiss people are very cultured. And no Swiss person would ever be prepared to let herself be seen in public, in the company of someone displaying such a total lack of decorum and fashion sense, as to be displaying the piss-poo colours. :oops:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
chico2001
Club Player

minuscule....love that word...reminds me of Richardson's coaching ability and the boards lack of knowledge in how to pick up the reins and get the club going again. At least when we were getting flogged in the 70's and 80's we had some players with character to identify with, not like this current bunch of space invaders.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 4:18pm
desertsaint, hawker, doggie,tiger wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:31am i've given up. been a hawks supporter these last six years. just come on here to remind me what a smart move it was.
you poor bastards!
I'm calling 'BS' to that post! (Big time!)

I happen to know that Swiss people are very cultured. And no Swiss person would ever be prepared to let herself be seen in public, in the company of someone displaying such a total lack of decorum and fashion sense, as to be displaying the piss-poo colours. :oops:
swiss people are winners?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ace
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:33am
Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:02am
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:18am Congratulations on spelling "minuscule" correctly.
:?:

Check again
No, you check again.
The adjective minuscule is a good example of a word whose spelling is changing. It comes from a Latin word, minuscule, meaning ‘somewhat smaller’, but because minuscule means ‘very small’, many people naturally associate it with the word mini, and so spell it miniscule instead.

Looking at the Corpus, we've discovered that the spelling miniscule now makes up around 52% of the total use of the word. This includes examples in printed sources such as newspapers and periodicals as well as in chatrooms or unedited personal blogs.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Well.. The OP is not the lone ranger here.

At a family catch up last week there were some rather depressing conversations happening on the back of the Essendon game.

People are disconnecting. Literally, 40+ year members just walking away from it.

The last couple of weeks have been extremely difficult to stomach.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

torn

freely
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 3:13am
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:33am
Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:02am
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:18am Congratulations on spelling "minuscule" correctly.
:?:

Check again
No, you check again.
The adjective minuscule is a good example of a word whose spelling is changing. It comes from a Latin word, minuscule, meaning ‘somewhat smaller’, but because minuscule means ‘very small’, many people naturally associate it with the word mini, and so spell it miniscule instead.

Looking at the Corpus, we've discovered that the spelling miniscule now makes up around 52% of the total use of the word. This includes examples in printed sources such as newspapers and periodicals as well as in chatrooms or unedited personal blogs.
Is that how we decide how to spell words now? Just whatever most people do? Is there no place for checking in the dictionary and then spelling the word correctly, never mind what most people do?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I got in early.
Not a member since 13..
This club needs to learn how to engage its members much much better.
Fair to say, there are a few more pressing concerns at the moment !

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 2:05pm I got in early.
Not a member since 13..
This club needs to learn how to engage its members much much better.
Fair to say, there are a few more pressing concerns at the moment !
It’s interesting to hear you say that...

I started a thread around the start of the season asking why ppl would want to be members of this club when it wasn’t successful. The area I was trying to focus on was ways the club could make the membership package more appealing, reward loyalty, offer alternatives to ppl that don’t go to many games, engage etc.

So many ppl on the thread just could not work past the mentality that it was up to the supporter to be loyal... many even ridiculed the idea that the club should to more attract/retain members.

Then you have a season like this and suddenly a lot of people are questioning whether to even renew.

Trixilver
Club Player

sendmehomehappy wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 11:50pm I never ever thought I would be in a position to do this.

I'm a life-long, rusted on, tragic painter.

My father played a few games for the club.

He took me, as a young boy, to watch the 1966 triumph, by his side.

We gathered for countless pre-game drinks/BBBQs with the mates,then onto Moorabbin, in the 70s, 80's, 90s and then arctic park. Hard times those...but what stars we had! And what grit and determination the GOPs showed on the whole.

Time, work, family and travel splits up mates and makes it harder to be there week in week out, but my love for the St Kilda FC has never waned.

A member for all years except for a decent block when OS working.

I am now/was an interstate member.

A few days ago I sent the membership department an email resigning. I said I would rejoin immediately after Richardson, Sexton and Kingsley are gone.

Each has had enough time to see the saints better positioned than where they now are.

Each must take responsibility and move on.

I am a minuscule cog in the St Kilda machine...something less than a cotter pin I imagine. But perhaps my protest can hit them where it hurts. Perhaps some positive can come out of it, a counterpoint to the behind the scenes machinations of the big players.

Does any one else feel like a financial protest?
Jeez grow up will you? A young side has a less than impressive year. It's because of people like you we find ourselves struggling financially. Oh yeah, as a fan I'm just going to not be a member until they become good. Terrible.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Trixilver wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:03pm
sendmehomehappy wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 11:50pm I never ever thought I would be in a position to do this.

We gathered for countless pre-game drinks/BBBQs with the mates,then onto Moorabbin, in the 70s, 80's, 90s and then arctic park. Hard times those...but what stars we had! And what grit and determination the GOPs showed on the whole.

Time, work, family and travel splits up mates and makes it harder to be there week in week out, but my love for the St Kilda FC has never waned.

A few days ago I sent the membership department an email resigning. I said I would rejoin immediately after Richardson, Sexton and Kingsley are gone.

Each has had enough time to see the saints better positioned than where they now are.

I am a minuscule cog in the St Kilda machine...something less than a cotter pin I imagine. But perhaps my protest can hit them where it hurts. Perhaps some positive can come out of it, a counterpoint to the behind the scenes machinations of the big players.

Jeez grow up will you? A young side has a less than impressive year. It's because of people like you we find ourselves struggling financially. Oh yeah, as a fan I'm just going to not be a member until they become good. Terrible.
Whoa there Trix!

I told membership that I would rejoin when the people whom I consider responsible for the diabolical mess the club is in are moved on: Richo, Sexton, Kingsley ( also Summers, a done deal, and hopefully Finiss). However I did not include the last two names in my email.

I never said I would wait until the Saints "become good" to do so.

By taking the moral high ground, you have missed the entire remit of my post.

So typical of judgemental types.

On a brighter note, it was great to see the guys play with fury and passion tonight against the Hawks.

We do have a lot of very talented young prospects and they need the best development, coaching and gameplay they can get. They deserve no less.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

sendmehomehappy wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:57pm
Trixilver wrote: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:03pm

Whoa there Trix!

I told membership that I would rejoin when the people whom I consider responsible for the diabolical mess the club is in are moved on: Richo, Sexton, Kingsley ( also Summers, a done deal, and hopefully Finiss). However I did not include the last two names in my email.

I never said I would wait until the Saints "become good" to do so.

By taking the moral high ground, you have missed the entire remit of my post.

So typical of judgemental types.

On a brighter note, it was great to see the guys play with fury and passion tonight against the Hawks.

We do have a lot of very talented young prospects and they need the best development, coaching and gameplay they can get. They deserve no less.
Trixi', I reckon SMHH is on the right track. If those steering our beloved club are really pissing us off, we could delay our re-signing up. (C/f not re-signing up again at all). Put a bit of pressure on 'em!

If their denials and inaction were to continue (what iceberg???), then I'd actually look seriously at doing that. Though that's complicated a bit by my membership being set to automatically roll over each year.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

A DEFIANT Alan Rich
saintspremiers wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:19pm
saynta wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 10:25am Richardson will be the coach next year unless the president changes. That should be pretty obvious by now.
True.

And that is almost certain to happen.

He can take Finnis with him also.

New President and CEO and onya bike RIcho.

Would be a disaster if he was coach in 2019.

Sad times again for our bloody club....I'll go on Saturday night - probably need a good shellacking again to make sure the cogs keep spinning......
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... b9864a83b2

Richardson insists he’ll “definitely” be coaching St Kilda next season as he staunchly defended his position at the club.

The pressure on Richardson and the Saints intensified last week with reports the club was preparing for an off-season shake-up.

Richardson slammed recent headlines his job was under threat as a media beat-up and said he had the support of the St Kilda hierarchy.

“That’s not sexy. That’s probably not going to sell a paper,” Richardson said.

“Listen to the people who are making the decisions. That’s really where the facts lie.”

Richardson has a contract for 2019 at the Saints, and he said that’s where he’ll be.

“I’m definitely coaching next year. I’m contracted,” he said on AFL360 last night.

“When there’s pressure on the coach, you’re worried about the team and the performance.

“The message has been really strong about the direction we are taking and I’m a significant part of that.”

With 14 losses by more than 24 points this year, the final two games of the season were seen as critical to Richardson’s future.

But the Saints produced a spirited performance against Hawthorn last Saturday night, losing by four points in a match Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson said St Kilda deserved to win.

Richardson said the speculation over his position wasn’t affecting his players.

“I reckon that gets overplayed a little bit, that those outside think, ‘Gee, that’ll have a real influence or impact in there’. That’s often not the case. I reckon that’s part of our job, to make sure guys are really focused,” he said.

“There was a moment just before we ran out on Friday, given there’d been certainly some media, I did make the point, ‘Let’s make this a really solid session, we know what the plan is’.

“And the look that came back to me was one of bemusement.”

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2018 11:29am "Richardson insists he’ll “definitely” be coaching St Kilda next season as he staunchly defended his position at the club.”
Uh oh...remember Scott Watters, Richo?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

“And the look that came back to me was one of bemusement.”
lol - I bet he's seen that look before!