Thomas whacks Saints and Thommo set to resign.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Thomas whacks Saints and Thommo set to resign.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... ffef95d5a6

"ST KILDA football director Andrew Thompson is set to resign as the embattled Saints prepare for major off-season upheaval.

It has emerged that retired stars Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna have been recently sounded out about returning to assist the club.

As St Kilda reviews every facet of its failing football program, former coach Grant Thomas has taken aim at the club’s off-field leadership, questioning whether the club’s powerbrokers had the know-how to deliver on-field success.

Thomas, sacked by the Saints at the end of 2006, didn’t put the club’s current struggles down to coaching, instead turning the blowtorch to the St Kilda administration.

“You can have bad coaching appointments. It doesn’t mean it should end up as an unmitigated disaster, you can actually do things,” he said.

Grant Thomas was sacked after taking the Saints to the finals.

“It gets amplified when you have senior people around that poor coaching decision that aren’t competent enough.”

Thomas said Saints chairman Peter Summers and CEO Matt Finnis were “lovely people” who want the best for St Kilda.

“But I’m not sure they’re at the cutting edge of what’s required to be successful,” Thomas told Macquarie Sports Radio.

“You know, they seem to me to be quite pedestrian and quite placating in their approach to footy.

“You just want something a little bit more intense and focused and stronger leadership to deliver success.”

Asked how far away St Kilda was from another premiership, Thomas was blunt.

“Decades. It is as simple as that,” he said.

“They are miles off. I don’t think players want to go there and I don’t know what they stand for at the moment.”

The Saints’ shake-up comes after news Brett Ratten is firming to join Alan Richardson’s coaching team in 2019"
Last edited by saynta on Wed 15 Aug 2018 10:40am, edited 3 times in total.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Thomas whacks Saints and Thommo set to resign.

can't access it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 10:39am can't access it.
:wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That is what our Coach, CEO and President all say....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hold on a sec.

Andrew Thompson is a football director?

I thought he was only on the board?

I hope this is only an oversight governance role, because if it's an an operational role...

OMG

Very amateurish.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think Thomo is right, but he has a very short and selective memory.

Back in the day, he was both the coach and the list manager.

Amateur hour.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 11:01am Hold on a sec.

Andrew Thompson is a football director?

I thought he was only on the board?

I hope this is only an oversight governance role, because if it's an an operational role...

OMG

Very amateurish.
All Board members are Directors.

more from the same article.

"Veteran football boss Graeme “Gubby” Allan is also being considered to head up a revamped recruiting department alongside newly-appointed list boss James Gallagher.

Thompson, who played 221 games for the Saints, has served on the St Kilda board since 2007 and overseen a decade of decision-making in the football department.

Close to league chief Gillon McLachlan, Thompson led the 2014 review that triggered the sacking of coach Scott Watters.

Ex-Saint Dean Anderson will remain on the Summers-led board with a second retired player to be added in coming months.

Speculation is growing that Summers will also step down as part of an imminent board reshuffle.

Other Saints directors include Andrew Bassat, Jack Rush, QC, Russell Caplan, Liz Dawson, Danni Roche, Paul Kirk and chief executive Matt Finnis.

While football boss Simon Lethlean has backed Richardson to keep his job, heavy losses against Hawthorn and North Melbourne in the final two games could yet force St Kilda’s hand."

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He potentially has oversight over some of his own decisions.

It's a grey area.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

"While football boss Simon Lethlean has backed Richardson to keep his job, heavy losses against Hawthorn and North Melbourne in the final two games could yet force St Kilda’s hand."

So - given not much gets printed in these matters without the AFL's imprimatur - hold on to your hats. The public narrative is now changing from 'Richo is our man (full stop - end of story)' to, 'Richo is our man ... unless we get pumped and have a good reason to sack him'.

My view is that in a couple of months - we'll become Melbourne of 5 years ago. We'll largely be AFL run with a new AFL-sanctioned President (Jim Watts) installed, a BIG re-shuffle of the Board, and Lethlean largely running the show. I'd be very nervous if I was Finnis. Everything to do with St KIlda from here on in will have the AFL's finger prints all. over. it.

And I'm ok with that by the way. The Muppets we've had in there for the past few years - as Thomas notes are lovely people with good hearts and intentions - but clearly lacking in the skills and nous to run our club ... let alone improve it.

Bring on the change. Sooner the better ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saint wagga
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:24pm "While football boss Simon Lethlean has backed Richardson to keep his job, heavy losses against Hawthorn and North Melbourne in the final two games could yet force St Kilda’s hand."

So - given not much gets printed in these matters without the AFL's imprimatur - hold on to your hats. The public narrative is now changing from 'Richo is our man (full stop - end of story)' to, 'Richo is our man ... unless we get pumped and have a good reason to sack him'.

My view is that in a couple of months - we'll become Melbourne of 5 years ago. We'll largely be AFL run with a new AFL-sanctioned President (Jim Watts) installed, a BIG re-shuffle of the Board, and Lethlean largely running the show. I'd be very nervous if I was Finnis. Everything to do with St KIlda from here on in will have the AFL's finger prints all. over. it.

And I'm ok with that by the way. The Muppets we've had in there for the past few years - as Thomas notes are lovely people with good hearts and intentions - but clearly lacking in the skills and nous to run our club ... let alone improve it.

Have to agree with the above. I never thought we lined up with the current Melbourne scenario, they’d had a failed rebuild so 2 x the number of talented high draft picks as us scattered throughout their list. Sobering to think how far back we are now, but I’m so hopeful all isn’t quite as doom and gloom as it seems...I’d love for some of our young guys to see the rebuild through to see success and a return to finals; the likes of billings acres, Ross Webster etc...

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:42pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:24pm "While football boss Simon Lethlean has backed Richardson to keep his job, heavy losses against Hawthorn and North Melbourne in the final two games could yet force St Kilda’s hand."

Have to agree with the above. I never thought we lined up with the current Melbourne scenario, they’d had a failed rebuild so 2 x the number of talented high draft picks as us scattered throughout their list. Sobering to think how far back we are now, but I’m so hopeful all isn’t quite as doom and gloom as it seems...I’d love for some of our young guys to see the rebuild through to see success and a return to finals; the likes of billings acres, Ross Webster etc...
That's true however, Melbourne didn't just stuff up two re-builds - they completely and utterly destroyed one of them. 2009. They had 5 picks - the last of which they passed on. Those picks were: Scully pick 1 - priority); Trengove; Gysberts; Tapscott and .... Gawn. Thank god for them their pick 34 in Gawn turned out a jet. Funnily enough - they're now paying for trading away pick 2 in 2013 (Josh Kelly) for effectively Salem and Dom Tyson.

I'd like to think we'd take note of that if we're contemplating getting rid of pick 4/5 in exchange for Hannebery and Swines 1st round pick this year. It might just be now that the AFL won't let us do anything mad enough like that ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 10:40am
:wink:
doh!

chico2001
Club Player

I suppose you would have to look at Melbourne now as a club that is promising a bit but not delivering. They have really dropped off when under the pump. Their playing list is a fair bit better than St Kilda's. But they may not make the 8 this year. Maybe be other clubs such as Richmond/pies would be better as a blueprint for success.