Our 1st round pick! For Hannebery ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Our 1st round pick! For Hannebery ?

:shock: REALLY? Just WHAT are the recruiters smoking/drinking ? :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Our 1st round pick! For Hannebery ?

Bloody hell Jiggers. Its just a suggestion and scenario put out by the papers and what the Swans might want.

No one at the club has confirmed what we are willing to trade yet so we need to stand by for when trade period pops up. We will still have a 1st round pick if we trade for Hanners...it might just be lower which is ok with me depending on what else we get back in return.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I could see us doing this that’s how desperate for relevance we are

“Yeah….nah””
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

God some people on here are just balls of enthusiasm and positivity all year around. Just give up supporting if you can't handle it. Lol. :P

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 2:45pm God some people on here are just balls of enthusiasm and positivity all year around. Just give up supporting if you can't handle it. Lol. :P
:lol: :lol: GOLD! :lol: :lol:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 2:39pm Bloody hell Jiggers. Its just a suggestion and scenario put out by the papers and what the Swans might want.

No one at the club has confirmed what we are willing to trade yet so we need to stand by for when trade period pops up. We will still have a 1st round pick if we trade for Hanners...it might just be lower which is ok with me depending on what else we get back in return.
:D no worries mate, I’ve just popped a chill pill (as per your suggestion) :wink: :lol:
Paper talk? Still a cause for concern ( for me ) but I respect your view on this

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Would like Hannaberry at the club would bring much needed leadership & he knows what success is hopefully not for our first round pick
though!

PADDLEPOP1000
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Who has said that we would trade our 1st Rounder for Hannebery? It is pure speculation by the media. I'm sure that will be Sydney's ambit claim, but good luck to them.

I think its obvious that discussions (at least informal) are underway. It appears Sydney want to move Hannebery on, they've got younger midfielders they need to expose and need to rejig their List and therefore their salary cap otherwise they will fall off a cliff pretty quick. So I doubt they have a complete whip-hand in negotiations.

Our first pick could provisionally be 2-4. That could go back a bit depending on what Gold Coast get for Lynch. Sydney's first pick could be anywhere between 9 & 16. Worst case scenario is that we trade our first pick in return for Hannebery and their first pick. I doubt we'd trade our first pick outright. I've got a feeling we'll trade a player for a late first rounder or earlyish second rounder and trade that for Hannebery. Then there's future picks.

The Swans would most likely end up paying a cut of his salary.

We haven't had a midfield General since Lenny Hayes. Our current midfield is devoid of leadership (Jack Steven included). Hannebery is a General and the sort of leader/hardass we need desperately. There is a suggestion he is past his best due to ongoing injuries (as was Luke Ball when he went to Coll). Our Training Services actually got a big tick from Lethlean early in his review. Thankfully we have maintained that standard since the Ross Lyon years. We haven't had too many soft tissue concerns, they've gotten Freeman on the park and before that we had success with Michael Gardiner.

I reckon Lethlean is cleverly turning this into a bargain, perhaps knowing that we actually have a good asset in regard to our training people.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Hannebery is brought in as Captain, which I'd be happy with.

If our fitness people are confident they can get him right, then I'd be delighted with his recruitment. Prefer him to Sloan who is older, inconsistent and no good against a hard tag.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

s://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-s ... 0c52c25386

"The recruitment of Hannebery, who turns 28 before next season, faces possible resistance from the St Kilda’s leadership group, led by captain Jarryn Geary.

It is understood they want to talk about the influence Hannebery — or any other prospective target — might have on St Kilda’s list."

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 2:45pm God some people on here are just balls of enthusiasm and positivity all year around. Just give up supporting if you can't handle it. Lol. :P
Yeah, because the rose-tinted glasses brigade has more than had their optimism vindicated this year...

Yes, people are jumping at shadows, but the club is also in a desperate position, so I wouldn’t put it past them to pay overs for Hanners and Menzel, just to sell some hope, prove their being aggressive and keep their jobs by playing finals next year.

To say the club is poorly run is an understatement and I think people’s skepticism is perfectly warranted.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Got to love this time of year. Apparently were trading all of our picks, half decent players and picking up a bunch of recycled spuds who can't walk. Lol
FWIW I think we'll try to swap our first pick for multiple first rounders, at least one in the top ten, use one of those for Hannebery and the Swans second. Would still leave us with a first and second round pick plus Hannebery. For my next magic trick I'll turn pick 10 into 7, 23 & 36.......oh wait, that's already been done.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Giving up any draft pick higher than the third round for a banged up 28 year old is absolute madness. I understand Lethlean is behind all this. Terry Wallace hinted of a Xavier College boys club, to which Lethlean and Hannebery belong. Lethlean has spoken to Hanneberry's management so he's dead keen. This move is the kind of thing I would have expected from Ken Sheldon when he was coach. It's a terrible strategy that has failed this football club numerous times. It smacks of desperation and is a lazy and short term type of thinking. I've never liked Mick Malthouse, but he had a strong conviction of not recruiting players over the age of 26. I think Grant Thomas had a similar philosophy. Lethlean might be a disaster for this football club if this is his influence. Hanneberry and Menzel? Lots of raised eyebrows in the football world over this. We struggle with credibility as it is. Okay, I know Parkeysainter, that you are poo-pooing the doomsaysers, but surely you understand the concerns of supporters who are waiting for this club to make smart decisions regarding the recruitment of players. If we screw this up, then it's a very long road back, a road many supporters may not have the energy and motivation left to travel.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think a smarter move would be to move up the draft order by trading players to Gold Coast to move up from pick 5 to pick 2 (Weller and one other). The top 2 players in the draft are apparently absolute guns. I'd rather get a player who can give us 250 games rather than 70 or 80.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 3:32pm s://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-s ... 0c52c25386

"The recruitment of Hannebery, who turns 28 before next season, faces possible resistance from the St Kilda’s leadership group, led by captain Jarryn Geary.

It is understood they want to talk about the influence Hannebery — or any other prospective target — might have on St Kilda’s list."
That would be hilarious. The simple fact is that the influence Hannebery would have on St Kilda's list is that he would instantly become our best gut runner and most contested possession gatherer. And that's if he's still on one leg.

Geary's opinion? Pfft ... off to the VFL you go ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 4:37pm I think a smarter move would be to move up the draft order by trading players to Gold Coast to move up from pick 5 to pick 2 (Weller and one other). The top 2 players in the draft are apparently absolute guns. I'd rather get a player who can give us 250 games rather than 70 or 80.
We'll move up the order after GC play Brisbane this week, so we'll have pick 4. Unless there's two Nick Riewoldt's available I wouldn't do it. Every year there are supposedly two or three standouts and then 12 months after the draft there are half a dozen taken outside that who are just as good, if not better.
I also don't think one 18 year old on his own will help us. Even Roo wouldn't have taken this club up the ladder without Gehrig, Hamill, Voss , Kosi coming in his year followed by others in the next two.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 3:32pm s://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-s ... 0c52c25386

Is this quote true? I followed the link and story is no longer there.

If true, is Geary serious?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

ludicrous if it is the plan.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 4:52pm

I'm with you on this one. Our leadership group has an issue with bringing in an A grade premiership player because of what it might do to our list? I actually like Geary but has he taken a look at our list lately?
How many players do we have that have got finals experience, let alone premiership experience? I think all of our young players would only benefit from having a guy at the club who is used to playing finals on a regular basis.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

yep. True alright.

derby Street
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 5:09pm

yep. True alright.
Tail wagging the dog - what hope have we got of getting out of the sh*t heap if this is what our leadership are about.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

It's not that complicated fellas'

outside66
Club Player

Hannebery is a gun and exactly what we need. If we managed to get him and their first round for our first pick then that's a win every day of the week.

So what if he'll be 28 next year, Monty and Roo were 33 and 34 respectively before finishing up. Roo was a physical beast but you can't argue that he wasn't banged up and they both actually could've gone on this year IMO.

People sulking about this prospect are probably the same ones who sulked last year when we didn't land a 'big fish'.

outside66
Club Player

Hannebery is a gun and exactly what we need. If we managed to get him and their first round for our first pick then that's a win every day of the week.

So what if he'll be 28 next year, Monty and Roo were 33 and 34 respectively before finishing up. Roo was a physical beast but you can't argue that he wasn't banged up and they both actually could've gone on this year IMO.

People sulking about this prospect are probably the same ones who sulked last year when we didn't land a 'big fish'.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

If we are giving up a 10 year gun player in Rankine or Smith, for a past his prime 3year player at best....we are totally desperate and stupid.

Pick 5 should be off the table. Next years second maybe.

Nee!
Schillaci
Club Player

Ridiculous.
Sure fire way to see us spend additional years at the bootom of the ladder.
Two years ago he was probably worth it given where we were and where he was at.
Now given where we are and where he is at it's a simple "No!"