Captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Captain

I think questioning Geary's leadership is unfair. Its obvious we have an onfield leadership issue, however that's more to do with been light on leaders rather than Geary himself.

My concern with Geary isn't his leadership. If we become a team that goes deep in Finals, then I don't see Geary in our best 22. That's my concern. He can murder the footy and is prone to making poor decisions on occasion.

Having said that, there is no one to replace him at the moment so we either have to wait or bring someone in from outside. Of more importance is that we need more of our List to step up as leaders.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 2:41pm I think questioning Geary's leadership is unfair. Its obvious we have an onfield leadership issue, however that's more to do with been light on leaders rather than Geary himself.

My concern with Geary isn't his leadership. If we become a team that goes deep in Finals, then I don't see Geary in our best 22. That's my concern. He can murder the footy and is prone to making poor decisions on occasion.

Having said that, there is no one to replace him at the moment so we either have to wait or bring someone in from outside. Of more importance is that we need more of our List to step up as leaders.
Big Jake is a man mountain.
Leads by example already.

Carlisle is the best option, Stuv is too shy anyway

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 11:38pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 11:31pm Carlisle in a heartbeat. I want a Captain with a lot of on-field C U Next Tuesday in him. I also want him to be a gun player so I’m not embarrassed by my Captain’s skills and decision making anymore. Over it.
Well, Carlisle is not your man then, kicking has been crap most of the year, as for decision making, well Murphy Sledge, Coke, Sooky, sooky lala every 2nd week, no thanks!!!!!
You do know that Carlisle was sledged first by Murphy et al (just after he went down from a shot to his nuts) don't you? You do know the players supported him don't you? You do know it was our p!ss weak Admin and Coach that made everyone grovel and apologise to all and sundry don't you?

The coke issue was a horrendous error of judgement from a young bloke and he's smartened up considerably since then. As for his kicking - Jesus wept - there's been enough ball down his end all year for the odd one to be stuffed. As for the sooky sooky thing - I take that as someone who's fed up and wants things to be better.

Maybe you're ok with the 'excellent preparation/training standards' style leadership that Geary provides but all I want right now is a Captain who'd likely get a game in a top 10 team and not one better suited to VFL standard.

Go you red, black & white warriors
stonecold
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 4:04pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 08 Aug 2018 11:31pm Carlisle in a heartbeat. I want a Captain with a lot of on-field C U Next Tuesday in him. I also want him to be a gun player so I’m not embarrassed by my Captain’s skills and decision making anymore. Over it.
Well, Carlisle is not your man then, kicking has been crap most of the year, as for decision making, well Murphy Sledge, Coke, Sooky, sooky lala every 2nd week, no thanks!!!!!
You do know that Carlisle was sledged first by Murphy et al (just after he went down from a shot to his nuts) don't you? You do know the players supported him don't you? You do know it was our p!ss weak Admin and Coach that made everyone grovel and apologise to all and sundry don't you?

The coke issue was a horrendous error of judgement from a young bloke and he's smartened up considerably since then. As for his kicking - Jesus wept - there's been enough ball down his end all year for the odd one to be stuffed. As for the sooky sooky thing - I take that as someone who's fed up and wants things to be better.

Maybe you're ok with the 'excellent preparation/training standards' style leadership that Geary provides but all I want right now is a Captain who'd likely get a game in a top 10 team and not one better suited to VFL standard.
Your opinion, your entitled to it, I just don't think Jake is there yet, let's see what the players say come preseason voting time!!!!!

That will answer all questions!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 8:14am New president, new coach & new captain. Change things up on all lines.

Empower our young generation coming through. Rotating captains. Next year Ross to captain, he’ll relish the role. The following year Jack Steele.
This

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we'd be a laughing stock if we made Jake captain. He's as thick as two short planks. Not the sort of bloke you want as captain.

Where does this myth come from that he's tough? What because he's got some Tatts? Because he does Coke and seems like a bit of a rogue? Because he's undisciplined occasionally and gives away silly free kicks.

When has he done anything inspirational this year? I mean, charged through a pack or committed 3 tackles in a row? A diving smother? He's tall, strong, has a great pair of hands and is a nice kick

Nope. He's a bloody good footballer, who is capable of turning a game. He's not articulate enough to talk with the media, coterie groups and sponsors. And I don't reckon he'd want to either.

takeaway
Club Player

Moods wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 6:36pm I reckon we'd be a laughing stock if we made Jake captain. He's as thick as two short planks. Not the sort of bloke you want as captain.

Where does this myth come from that he's tough? What because he's got some Tatts? Because he does Coke and seems like a bit of a rogue? Because he's undisciplined occasionally and gives away silly free kicks.

When has he done anything inspirational this year? I mean, charged through a pack or committed 3 tackles in a row? A diving smother? He's tall, strong, has a great pair of hands and is a nice kick

Nope. He's a bloody good footballer, who is capable of turning a game. He's not articulate enough to talk with the media, coterie groups and sponsors. And I don't reckon he'd want to either.
Good post. Just leave him to float around the backline and take intercept marks and distribute. Not a captain type, and I would be surprised if he wanted to be captain.

Anyway, the most likely scenario is that Geary will be captain again in 2019. True, not the most skilled, and has clangers (as do most players), but has the right type of character to be captain. I don't know why people keep on about his "butchering the ball", because his disposal efficiency and no. of disposals has improved markedly, and is around the Basher Houli and Johanssen level, who are hardly deemed poor disposers, and get plenty of the ball. 77% efficiency for Geary is well above average. It is not like anyone else is belting the door down to be captain. Ross probably next in line.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 5:38amBring BJ back and make him captain;
No way, Jose!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
clintgrierson
Club Player

Sebb Ross.

Look at the last game we played. Look at his stats.

He is level-headed, tough, talks well. Seems really communicable.

Is that a word?

He gets my vote anyway.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

clintgrierson wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 7:40pm Sebb Ross.

Look at the last game we played. Look at his stats.

He is level-headed, tough, talks well. Seems really communicable.

Is that a word?

He gets my vote anyway.
Sure is, if you're a disease! :oops:
I think we all know what you mean though.

chico2001
Club Player

Geary will be captain next year unless he resigns which would be unlikely, asking your captain to step down would not be a good look either. So we are stuck with him. Does not have good skills and not a leader from what I have seen especially if you compare him with leaders from other clubs. I still think he is being played in the wrong position but Steele has that role tied up. The media reports from within the club have been scathing of on field leadership probably not aimed at Geary but he is the captain, more a coaching issue IMO.

Ross would be my pick, it could be the making of him especially as he has got his 100th coming up against the Dons and that makes him a very senior player within the group.

Crossy66
Club Player

groupie1 wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 5:38am
Bring BJ back and make him captain; Carlisle VC. Unsociable football
I vote Goddard

groupie1
Club Player

Bowey Boy wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 10:04am Perhaps the Captaincy could be offered to a top shelf recruit or Goddard as mentioned earlier.
Good post...

How about this:

Weller, Armitage, Lonie & Gilbert to CG for a FR pick
CG FR Pick and Paddy to Carlscum for pick 1 - Lukocious

Dunstan & Ross to Essendon for Goddard & FR pick

Pick 5 to Freo for Fyfe

Ess FR Pick to Sydney for Hanebury and half his salary paid by Sydney

s***-tonne of $$$ to snare Andrew Gaff

Squeeze Daniel Rioli from Richmond with $$$ by offering salary cap relief & J Geary

- we lose 3 poor players, 3 decent hardened midfielders, Geary & Paddy
- we've used our good picks
- we gain Gaff, Fyfe, Goddard, Rioli, Hannebury and Lukocious

In Fyfe or Goddard we also gain a captain

Maybe see if there's interest in Billings and snare a high pick
Same with Hickey and Longer and Savage

Offer Tom Lynch a 10-year deal at $800k/year - either snare him or squeeze Rioli from Richmond with the offer

I may have just blown our cap out of the water, but Suddenly... we're in premiership contention

Gresh Lynch Long
Lukocious Battle Members
Gaff Fyfe Freeza
Coffield Carlisle Goddard
Rice Austin Webster

Marshall Steven Hannebury
Rioli Steele Clarke Acres
(Roberton McKenzie Paton)

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
BenLong#21
Club Player

Seb Ross has to be Captain.

Close thread.

groupie1
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:38pm Seb Ross has to be Captain.

Close thread.
I don't disrespect the viewpoint, but just don't see it. His disposal is atrocious. I think he makes great trade bait given his possession numbers.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
quidnunc
Club Player

my choice would be blake acres

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
To the top
SS Life Member

Agree

Acres with his support to come from our next generation players

The major problem the Club has in my view is that we have no capable last generation players on our List to shield our next generation players

There is no generational transition

The “election” of a Captain is nonsense including because there may be a “preferred view” reflected in any player vote

The DNA of the Coach is omnipresent courtesy of the current Captain and certain selections

Hence my view that the Coach needs to go such that leadership roles and selection benefits the future of the Club

I am of the view that we have the makings thru our next generation and it is time to get on with the job at hand

Not wallow in the Coach’s DNA which is well in evidence

And you heed the lessons from Thomas “burning” young talent

You both develop and manage

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 9:16am Is a designated captain necessary? Coin toss what else, pregame huddle gee up, spokesman for the players? On the field personality and presence seems to trump any official appointment however the current side doesn't seem to have many A type personalities. Might make them nice guys with no hypertension but AR is looking for a Horatius. Gresham?
a captain is the only player permitted to approach an ump at the qtr time breaks,
to ask for clarification on rule interpretation, etc.

it's in the rules of the game.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 5:37am
WHAT? I got totally bagged for suggesting Carlisle for Captain a few months ago.

I agree with you... but the idea that everyone hated recently seems to be gaining traction.

Carlisle will give us that 'Hamill as Captain' feel. I can't wait (and we won't have to keep picking Geary, who hasn't hit a target by foot all year).
I dont like Carlisle's petulance. It all becomes about him.

With that said, he is the only bloke on our list with any real physical presence.

Has to be him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
older saint
SS Life Member

Reality is we all have no idea who the best captain will be. Captain leads by example on the track, off field is the guy who makes sure players are travelling well, deals with media ( when allowed), and is respected for the way he goes about things. We see the performances on weekends and determine based on this who should be captain.

The best player is not the captain , its the bloke who when the going gets tough will have your back, will never shirk the issue but will look you in the eye when needed and call you out ( although seems Richo doesn't like this approach) and will no t be questioned because the players know he has maintained those standards.

Maxwell was a great caption , as was Tom Harley , yet both on talent often struggled to be in the best 22 . Some clubs get lucky like we did, hawthorn and Freo where the best 1 or 2 players are also the best leaders.

We have much bigger issues in leadership at the club than worrying about the captain. For what its worth i think the next captain is still 2 years away from being ready as don't want to sacrifice guys too early - ala melbourne

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Sun 12 Aug 2018 6:01am
BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 3:38pm Seb Ross has to be Captain.

Close thread.
I don't disrespect the viewpoint, but just don't see it. His disposal is atrocious. I think he makes great trade bait given his possession numbers.
Seb can be a fairly good kick if he has a bit of room, and actually looks up, and someone leads for him into space.
I recall a number of very good passes where he puts the ball to advantage, to a fwd who doesn't have to break stride, and has 3m break on the defender.

However, a lot of the time, his kicks are hurried, and he just bombs it without thinking,
as if he is keeping count of his disposals and that's all that matters.

Other teams would know this.
It's only blinkered Saints who look at his big numbers and believe in that silly fanboi way, that he had a massive day.
When usually he just wastes them.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps we need to just let this season play out as it will. Let the review take place, and look at the question of the captaincy after the dust has settled.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Geary shouldn’t even be in our best 22, let alone captain. Probably the worst captain football ability-wise I can remember.

He tries hard and I’m sure is a great bloke, but hardly inspirational.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.