Any interest in Blake Caracelle coming on board?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Faulky63
Club Player

Any interest in Blake Caracelle coming on board?

Rival clubs circle Tigers' flag mastermind

RICHMOND'S premiership mastermind Blake Caracella remains out of contract and in hot demand for 2019.
Damien Hardwick's midfield senior assistant is yet to come to terms with the Tigers after two seasons at Punt Road with a win-loss ratio of 31-11.
AFL.com.au understands Caracella is aware of outside interest from several clubs.

It comes ahead of a frantic week in assistant coaching circles, with clubs advised to notify out-of-contract assistants of their futures by August 1.
While Richmond wishes to extend Caracella's stay at the club, there is set to be a number of openings across the competition.
St Kilda has left the bulk of its uncontracted assistants in limbo after meetings in the past fortnight, while Gold Coast has informed Matthew Primus and Andy Lovell they won't be required in 2019.
With two premierships to his name, Caracella is highly rated at a number of clubs, including Geelong where he spent seven years from 2010-2016.
While Caracella still lives in Geelong and has a close relationship with coach Chris Scott (the pair regularly play golf), the Cats are expected to retain their current coaching panel.
The introduction of the soft cap on football department spending, which has been in place since 2015, is another factor clubs have to consider when offering new deals.
Richmond was forced to act at the end of 2016, cutting coaching support staff from 11 (including two part-time) to seven, at the same time Caracella arrived.
Caracella has been instrumental in turning the Tigers' game plan into a winning formula, responsible for the ball movement in last year's drought-breaking premiership.
While Hardwick extended his contract until the end of 2021 in March, Caracella's initial two-year deal will expire at season's end.
After a 187-game career at Essendon, Brisbane and Collingwood that included two premierships, Caracella joined the Pies as a development coach for three seasons in 2007.
Ahead of the 2010 season, Caracella joined Geelong under coach Mark Thompson and head of football Neil Balme – the man who had recruited him to Collingwood as a player in 2005.
After Thompson's departure at the end of 2010, Caracella was joined by Scott, the pair teammates under Leigh Matthews at Brisbane.
Caracella spent seven seasons at Kardinia Park and was accepted into the AFL's level four coaching program in 2015.
One of nine members inducted, Caracella was joined by then assistant coaches Stuart Dew, Simon Goodwin and Brendon Bolton, plus current Geelong head of football Simon Lloyd.
The Tigers landed Caracella and Justin Leppitsch ahead of the 2017 season after assistants Greg Mellor, Ross Smith and Mark Williams were informed they were no longer required.
Caracella's appointment reunited him with Balme at a third club, just weeks after Balme arrived from Collingwood.

Richmond players have previously spoken about Caracella's influence on change at the club.
Midfielder Kane Lambert, who went from fringe player in 2016 to third in the best and fairest in the premiership year of 2017, credited Caracella for much of his improvement.
"I knew I had more to offer and Blake Caracella made me believe in myself more than anyone else," Lambert told the AFL Players website.
"He sees things that no one else really does but when he explains it to you, you're confused as to why you'd never noticed it before.
"He's very simplistic in how he goes about it but he's so smart.
"He has helped me with my off-ball running and positioning and, again, the belief. He didn't expect me to do anything that he didn't think I was capable of. He helped me to believe in myself."

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any interest in Blake Caracelle coming on board?

We're better off paying some godfather style offers to guys like Blake before anything else is planned. I don't trust those in charge to make list management decisions and decisions on how much should be spent getting this player or that

Get the right coaches on board and the right people in management roles or roles similar to Balmy and we may have a chance of turning things around in the next five years

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re the OP....ahhh yes landing Blake C would be freaking massive but it won’t happen

We should offer him the head gig now. Literally right now

Forget panels and interview processes and psych tests and all that crap...get him in and sack the dead wood

#1 Ryder fan
The Recruit
Club Player

Whatever it takes

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Sign him up if we have the chance.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

would surely only come if we offered him head coach, or such a shitload of money others couldn't match it. if we could afford that, then why not sack richo instead and just offer headcoach?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FFS

I have been telling you morons this for 2 years now.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Probably coaching the Blues next year.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

As head coach or an assistant to Richo? Could be a good get if a succession plan is put in place for him to work under Richo for the remainder of his contract and then take over as head coach. I think that this is one of the smarter ways to structure up the management system, it makes for a smoother transition and doesn't require an overnight makeover to the organisation, less disruption.

The old way of sacking everyone on a Friday and bringing in a whole new team on a Monday is so 1800s. It just doesn't happen in any other industry, well not well run ones anyway.

He's clearly a good 2nd Banana, is he interested in a head coach position? I wouldn't bet against the idea that there are probably many assistant coaches happy to stay at the assistant level and not end their careers short by jumping up to head coach.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

There is no way he works under that dead s*** richo

Would have to be head gig or he wouldn’t come

What is the fear of dropping Richo? He is seriously fkn useless

#1 Ryder fan
saintbob
SS Life Member

Richo is staying, so get the best available assistants in and if Blake’s available then get him.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 11:29am Richo is staying, so get the best available assistants in and if Blake’s available then get him.
It is certainly sounding like he's not going anywhere based on the rhetoric coming from Simon Lethlean. The wheels would have to completely fall off and there would have to be obvious signs the players aren't playing for Richo for him to be moved on I reckon.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Sorry guys but you all forget that most coaching assistants want to become senior coaches.
But very few senior coaches get a long career.
Realistically you only get one chance to be a senior coach.
You need to get your team close to winning a premiership.
When your team gets close to a premiership you are required to win one.

Coaching the present St Kilda list as the senior coach is a poison chalice.
The job of being an assistant coach at St Kilda is a promotion for someone who has never been an assistant coach before.
It is a career killer and demotion for a successful assistant coach.
We have no chance of securing the best assistant coaches or senior coaches until we get inside the eight.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The_President
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 12:07am would surely only come if we offered him head coach, or such a shitload of money others couldn't match it. if we could afford that, then why not sack richo instead and just offer headcoach?
Richo was a highly regarded development coach... Seemingly terrible head coach.

Would be worried if we went out and gave an untried senior coach a godfather style offer to come and be our head coach.

Send a godfather type offer to a senior coach with a proven record.

wally
Club Player

It would be interesting to reflect on the glowing words backing Richo when he was selected.
We coaxed Blight many years ago because we had a good potential squad.
Lyon went to Freo because he believed the list was there and lots of money.
Why would Clarko, Longmir etc come here?
A few years ago PA was unattractive, Hinkley was the only one who wanted the job.
A good assistant may roll the dice hoping head coach gets the arse.
Good assistants will get reemployed look at Voss and Lepitch

DJ Higgins
Club Player

All good but moot arguments. Richo will stay next year as we can not afford to pay him out. Yes he could quit but would you take a $100k pay cut plus he believes he can turn it around
Blake as an assistant would be good with view to top job in 2020 but I think there are better options for him

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 3:19pm All good but moot arguments. Richo will stay next year as we can not afford to pay him out. Yes he could quit but would you take a $100k pay cut plus he believes he can turn it around
Blake as an assistant would be good with view to top job in 2020 but I think there are better options for him
Essentially it’s a good interview over 2 years

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I don't see why Caracella would budge unless it were for a Head Coaching position. I've also heard rumours that he's not interested in a Head Coach's role. Has he actually ever applied for the role?

Then again he may be tempted by a better renumeration package. I'd far prefer him and be more comfortable, than Harvey.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 3:49pm I don't see why Caracella would budge unless it were for a Head Coaching position.

Maybe you answered your own question?
Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 3:49pm I've also heard rumours that he's not interested in a Head Coach's role.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not everyone is motivated by money.

I prefer having more time with family etc than making money at this stage of my life.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Blake Caracella would make an excellent Director of Coaching at St Kilda, to replace Danny Sexton who surely will not survive "Lethlean's Cull". In fact he is exactly what St Kilda need to improve in 2019.

DoC represents a step up for Caracella and puts him in a prime position to succeed Richardson should the latter fail to get the team to progress significantly next year.

Caracella has impeccable credentials as both a premiership player and assistant coach and as DoC he will have considerable influence over all of the assistant coaches as well as player development.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
chico2001
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 5:39pm Blake Caracella would make an excellent Director of Coaching at St Kilda, to replace Danny Sexton who surely will not survive "Lethlean's Cull". In fact he is exactly what St Kilda need to improve in 2019.

DoC represents a step up for Caracella and puts him in a prime position to succeed Richardson should the latter fail to get the team to progress significantly next year.

Caracella has impeccable credentials as both a premiership player and assistant coach and as DoC he will have considerable influence over all of the assistant coaches as well as player development.

Not a bad idea. Probably got 5 weeks before the cull starts, if it does. This club will go nowhere unless the axe falls bigtime on several coaches and the other s who do F**ck all. Still havent got a decent list anyway.

shrodes
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 12:39pm Sorry guys but you all forget that most coaching assistants want to become senior coaches.
But very few senior coaches get a long career.
Realistically you only get one chance to be a senior coach.
You need to get your team close to winning a premiership.
When your team gets close to a premiership you are required to win one.

Coaching the present St Kilda list as the senior coach is a poison chalice.
The job of being an assistant coach at St Kilda is a promotion for someone who has never been an assistant coach before.
It is a career killer and demotion for a successful assistant coach.
We have no chance of securing the best assistant coaches or senior coaches until we get inside the eight.
On the other hand, saying you were able to turn one of the worst teams in the league into one of the best has to look good on the resume, if you can pull it off

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Some people need to take a reality check.

Caracelle (sic) isn’t coming to St Kilda.

No chance, no hope, no way, no how.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.