Start list management now please

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Start list management now please

Surely with 5 games left we can finally actually act upon words and see who can and cannot play, who is or isn't part of the future of this club, and who is gone.

This has been talked about but reality is , like all year , selection panel lack gonads to make the decisions. Apart from Melbourne we fell in against GC and beat a VFL level side in Carlton - people got a little too excited.

Paton, Freeman, Goddard Coffield White all need to be given games. Paton has earned it, Coffield & White will benefit from games, Freeman and Goddard need exposure at AFL level to see if worth keeping. Some players play better at higher levels other falter.

Marshall, Rice, Clark (unless sore) , Battle must be persevered with and again benefit from game time.

Surely by now they now what the future of players like Weller, Newness, Lonie , Gilbert is - be that to stay or go.

No one likes to gift games but really could they be worse than some this season and how else will we learn where they are at.

Each player ask these questions:

Will they be valuable in our next finals push.

If not then do they provide value to the existing group in development, leadership , or how to go about it,

Do they have value externally and could that help the club be better by trading for something else.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Start list management now please

Throw Pierce onto that list.

What’s to gain from offering more games to either Hickey or Longer at this point.

He’s been in the system, give the guy a go

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much my thoughts from late April… only injuries have let us see a few younger blokes that Richo woldn't fathom otherwise.

White & Austin the first to be dropped.

Mav still playing is just a running gag now.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Highly likely that Gilbert will retire at seasons end, he will get a farewell game, probably last game of the year, I don't have a problem with that.
Guys who have been in the system for a couple of years like Goddard, Freeman need to be played to see if they are worth persevering with.
I think both Weller and Lonie pretty well cooked and won't be offered a new contract. Newnes could be trade bait.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Anyone think the integrity unit of the AFL might have issue with just throwing in every player from the feeder team just cause?

Integrity of the selection. Is it a thing when you are 15th on the ladder with 5 rounds to go?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 6:31pm Anyone think the integrity unit of the AFL might have issue with just throwing in every player from the feeder team just cause?

Integrity of the selection. Is it a thing when you are 15th on the ladder with 5 rounds to go?
If we are 15th then clearly the regulars haven't been performing brilliantly.
By definition.
So what integrity are you referring to?

Playing Weller week in week out just because the coach has a boner for him?

Maybe if you are concerned about integrity the AFL integrity unit should investigate the coach sniffing Mavs used undergarments.

saint6709
Club Player

Pierce v Preuss tomorrow - it will be interesting to see how they go - I wouldn’t be upset if they were our 2 main ruckmen fighting for a spot next year - Longer and Hickey frustrating supporters of some other team

Schillaci
Club Player

My take on the list...looking ahead.
Retired = Koby
Shop around/ Tradebait/ Keep - Webster, Newnes, Longer, Minchington
Delist -Lonie, Gilbert, Brown, Wright
Questionable/ Wouldn't argue if they were delisted - Goddard

To qualify the above we are years away from challenging.
I realise that Webster has arguably been our best player this year and he in all likelihood will continue on as a Saint but we are going nowhere fast and he has currency that may allow us to recruit a speedy outside silky mid that we crave. Savage and Roberton can perform the playmaking half back role and Coffield, Clark and Rice are developing well so I think we're well stocked in that area.
Newnes is serviceable but nothing special. Like Webster if he stays a Saint then I'll support him noproblem and hope he does well but if he ends up at another club and we get a late 2nd -3rd round pick or so then we are potentially better off.
Longer isn't needed. Hickey and Marshall can fill the ruck roles and others can pinch hit if required.
Minchington has shown a bit. I'd be happy to keep him but others have shown they can do his role. He adds depth but injury has bit him on the ar3e and cost him. ...same for Goddard. Austin is like for like and Goddard has unfortunately had his time in my book, though another club may see value in giving himanother chance.
Gilbert has never been one of my faves but age makes him even more of a candidate to farewell him. Hopefully he gets a good send off and the spot that opens up on our list sees a beauty come in. Time to turn the list over and he naturally goes.
Brown is a good negator but in present footy you need to have more strings to your bow. Maybe Clavarino will be a natural and better replacement for him down the track.
Wright has had his chance and Lonie is a depth player who would struggle to get a go in a top team.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

On the AFL news tonight apparantly list managers from 12 clubs including ours met in Melbourne today.

Reported on BF we are looking at bringing in Hannebrey from Swans.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 8:47pm On the AFL news tonight apparantly list managers from 12 clubs including ours met in Melbourne today.

Hannerbrey has been very ordinary this year, but has had a good career. Maybe he needs to escape the Sydney nightlife. 🙄

Con G won't want him though. Ex private school boy from Xavier College and the inner East suburb of Kew. Apparantly we are only allowed to recruit players from state schools or complete dropouts that are on Centrelink from 15 years of age. They're meant to be tougher footballers.

<warning for baiting>

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Schillaci
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 8:47pm On the AFL news tonight apparantly list managers from 12 clubs including ours met in Melbourne today.

Don't want him unless it's for a fourth rounder or a pick we don't want. Will be 28 next year coming off his worst season in years.
Would rather Hewitt, Heeney, Papley or Parker to name a few. They'll offer more for longer... reckon the Swines will offer them up? No chance.