Dumb Football

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Dumb Football

We really have some dumb players and it’s small things that in the end add up and cost us. I nearly jumped on a plane to belt Nathon Brown at one stage. Billings got the 50 and with his foot skills he is the one you want taking the kick into our 50. Next thing Brown cruises past for the HB and Billings gives it to him. On the flip side Weller and Armitage had slow plays and both refused to give it off to the best kick in Billings.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
DWOODROW
Club Player

Re: Dumb Football

CURLY wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:54am We really have some dumb players and it’s small things that in the end add up and cost us. I nearly jumped on a plane to belt Nathon Brown at one stage. Billings got the 50 and with his foot skills he is the one you want taking the kick into our 50. Next thing Brown cruises past for the HB and Billings gives it to him. On the flip side Weller and Armitage had slow plays and both refused to give it off to the best kick in Billings.
Yeah makes heaps of sense. Great post

StPeter
Club Player

Another example was Membrey, probably our best set shot, marking 35 metres from goal on a slight angle

and passing off to Dunstan, an unreliable kick for goal, 45 metres out.

jaxons
Club Player

No surprises here.
We are the worst coached team in terms of strategy and structure in the AFL it is a joke.
The win does nothing for me except delay the inevitable. Let's not get carried away we beat a team that was amateur standard at best and how was our football looking 24 minutes into the third quarter.
We continue hand balling backwards, kicking sideways and backwards, long bombing to a forward structure that has 3 forward competing in a marking contest against each other.
I am embarrassed that in modern day football that we put on a display like this in terms of strategy and ball movement.
I think we have some talent in this team and with the right coach and strategy we would be a lot better.
Not one player has improved their football this year, not even Jimmy Webster. The funniest is listening to the after match press conference last night you would think we have just won a flag.
'Strong, Enormous, Courage, Proud, Full of Character etc' were words thrown around.
Wow!
Last edited by jaxons on Sun 17 Jun 2018 1:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 1:46pm No surprises here.
We are the worst coached team in terms of strategy and structure in the AFL it is a joke.
The win does nothing for me except delay the inevitable. Let's not get carried away we beat a team that was amateur standard at best and how was our football looking 24 minutes into the third quarter.
We continue hand balling backwards, kicking sideways and backwards, long bombing to a forward structure that has 3 forward competing in a marking contest against each other.
I am embarrassed that in modern day football that we put on a display like this in terms of strategy and ball movement.
I think we have some talent in this team and with the right coach and strategy we would be a lot better.
Not one player has improved their football this year, not even Jimmy Webster. The funniest is listening to the after match press conference last night you would think we have just won a flag.
'Strong, Enormous, Courage, Proud, Full of Character etc' were words thrown around.
Wow!
I assume you're no longer the club janitor after the move away from Seaford?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

P.S. I used to love hearing Tommy Hafey use the term "dumb football".

chico2001
Club Player

so tell us who you are sainternist?......Sounds like you are a guru, maybe you secretly would like to be the janitor so you could get the inside info for us about how the saints are travelling......or maybe you are the coach in disguise on here....let us know.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 11:03pm so tell us who you are sainternist?......Sounds like you are a guru, maybe you secretly would like to be the janitor so you could get the inside info for us about how the saints are travelling......or maybe you are the coach in disguise on here....let us know.
Don't be so precious. It was long-running joke about Jaxons being the janitor at Seaford, as so many people were brown-nosing him for the latest insights and gossip around the club.

But more importantly, who the hell are you? Never seen your posts before during the umpteen years I've been using this forum.

elizabethr
Club Player

Dumb posters.
Bring back Teflon and Jiggling Saint...

nothing to say
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wow!
You really are a wet blanket these days mate .

Club Player

from Jaxons...
"We are the worst coached team in terms of strategy and structure in the AFL it is a joke.
I am embarrassed that in modern day football that we put on a display like this in terms of strategy and ball movement. "

can anyone really disagree with this? We see it every week The only thing I would add to this description is that we do it so slowly as well! Why do we supposedly have the most efficient disposals as a team - because we kick to where the opposition wants us to. Back. By the time we get it forward they have set up - waiting. The modern game is all about getting the opposition out of position - that is why so many goals are scored on the turnover.
We do not have the players with the skill to be damaging with their possessions, and certainly not our big possession winners. Who would you consider an elite kick - and don't say Billings as I have yet to see evidence for this!
There are a few coming in who show promise- Clarke and Coffield, Rice, Battle, Steele and even Paddy.
We need more.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Thompson giving 50 m penalty to Timmy. 2 point margin in the end. Not all dumbness resides with us.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:54am We really have some dumb players and it’s small things that in the end add up and cost us. I nearly jumped on a plane to belt Nathon Brown at one stage. Billings got the 50 and with his foot skills he is the one you want taking the kick into our 50. Next thing Brown cruises past for the HB and Billings gives it to him. On the flip side Weller and Armitage had slow plays and both refused to give it off to the best kick in Billings.
I think blaming brown is a bit unfair. He did what he was trained to do and no doubt so did billings in handballing it to him. Blame the coaching staff for that one as it would have been a set play

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Too often I’ve seen players run past calling for a handball when on their wrong foot...and be given the ball.
They all do it. We know Ross and Billings are left footers so why run past a player and set off for a right foot kick?
That is dumb footy!

chico2001
Club Player

You are spot on Life long saint, the handball give and receive method used by the saints is very poor. Forgot how many times they have been pushed into a forward or back pocket and handed up the ball due to poor handballing. Has to be a coaching issue "play on at all costs" but it is not working. Only the top sides can do this well because they have a higher skill level. IMO the guy who calls for the ball is usually at fault if things go wrong.

jaxons
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 10:19am
Wow!
Normally super positive about us Saynta, just hate what I am seeing this year.
We look like we are in a different, inferior competition to most of the sides.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 12:35am Dumb posters.
He's the Jigging Saint, not Jiggling Saint. I don't think he's heavy set enough to be jiggling. That's probably a good thing, too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 3:02pm
saynta wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 10:19am
Wow!
Normally super positive about us Saynta, just hate what I am seeing this year.
We look like we are in a different, inferior competition to most of the sides.
Well, we have a couple of times. Have to agree with you there.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Sainternist wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 4:23pm
Wow!
jaxons is most likely
a guy on a forum with NFI
and he might be related to a past player, like maybe his auntie used to date
Jason Heatley or Lazar Vidovic or Aaron Fiora back in the day
so he thinks he is somehow connected to the club.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 5:14pm
Wow!
jaxons is most likely
I think jaxons has more of an idea than you do, and I am not one to defend him out of hand, but when it comes down to a choice between the two of you, it isn't a real contest or hard decision for me to make.

So get off jaxons' back.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 7:29pm
WellardSaint wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 5:14pm
Wow!
jaxons is most likely
I think jaxons has more of an idea than you do, and I am not one to defend him out of hand, but when it comes down to a choice between the two of you, it isn't a real contest or hard decision for me to make.

So get off jaxons' back.
Spicy stuff from both of you fellas. Let's not get too spicy, though.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hard to argue with Jaxons. Our game plan/strategies are beyond stupid. Ignore that last quarter and think about the first three. We have the worst ball movement in the league. The playing talent is only a part of the overall problem. The main problem for 18 months has been our tactical ineptitude. Bombing to the goal square is 1960s football. We do it while at the same time allowing extra numbers (spare men) in our opposition's black half. Of course, the outcome 95% of the time is that the ball comes out faster than it went in. Our players who are just forward of centre run like crazy to get to the fall of the ball (the long bomb) but they never get there in time. Their immediate opponents then just sit back and wait for the short kick from a team mate who mopped up the appalling entry. Then off they go, and our guys who just ran like crazy to get to the fall of the ball (from that long bomb) are now running their arses off in the opposite direction chasing their opponents. Our backline is then under siege, outnumbered, and scored against. The positioning of our players around the ground is appalling.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hard to argue with Jaxons. Our game plan/strategies are beyond stupid. Ignore that last quarter and think about the first three. We have the worst ball movement in the league. The playing talent is only a part of the overall problem. The main problem for 18 months has been our tactical ineptitude. Bombing to the goal square is 1960s football. We do it while at the same time allowing extra numbers (spare men) in our opposition's black half. Of course, the outcome 95% of the time is that the ball comes out faster than it went in. Our players who are just forward of centre run like crazy to get to the fall of the ball (the long bomb) but they never get there in time. Their immediate opponents then just sit back and wait for the short kick from a team mate who mopped up the appalling entry. Then off they go, and our guys who just ran like crazy to get to the fall of the ball (from that long bomb) are now running their arses off in the opposite direction chasing their opponents. Our backline is then under siege, outnumbered, and scored against. The positioning of our players around the ground is appalling.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We are dumb when going inside 50 half the time. We are wasting our good inside 50 number totals. Bad conversion most games doesn't help either when he get a gig at a sausage.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 12:35am Dumb posters.
Bit harsh Liz,,,
Considering I’ve never left .....it’s a tad dumb to be asking for me to brought back....
Stick to bashing the club with irrational drivel.... I liked you better then.... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””