No Geary, no worries!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

No Geary, no worries!

Hopefully he misses next week. Look so much better without him it seems

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: No Geary, no worries!

Reckon I'd prefer to see Coffield rather than Geary.......actually I've had enough of Savage - he never seems to even care where he kicks the ball.

And while we're at it, I hope we stay with Logan Austin ahead of Nathan Brown.

Winmar
Club Player

Who's our vice captain? Or are there 14 of them these days? I have no idea who will be captain next week if Geary doesn't play.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

We were so much better in transition from back to front without that goddamn chopper out there. Almost from the minute Geary went off we became a better team with cleaner ball movement.

And yes ... +1 for Coffield over Geary from now on. Couldn’t care less whether he’s the captain.
Last edited by Saintmatt on Sun 03 Jun 2018 12:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Go you red, black & white warriors
longtimesaint
Club Player

Winmar wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 12:04am Who's our vice captain? Or are there 14 of them these days? I have no idea who will be captain next week if Geary doesn't play.
Seb Ross

One year will be our year
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Seb will captain next year. Geary's injury a kindness to the selectors. Savage has to go, but. Then the backline will look pretty good.

Winmar
Club Player

Ah yes, Seb. I think he'd make a decent capitan.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We did seem to lift coincidentally when he was off!?

Nee!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn’t be too upset if all of Geary, Brown, Gilbert and Armo aren’t picked again this season.

Unfortunately the game has passed them by, I think there are better options now.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:23am I wouldn’t be too upset if all of Geary, Brown, Gilbert and Armo aren’t picked again this season.
That's a little harsh on Nathan Brown. He's been very good value at full back. Can't say I'm too concerned about those others you mentioned, though.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Need to be creative with great disposal to play as a small defender these days. Unfortunately, Geary has neither of those qualities, although he's one of the bravest and hardest working players in the comp. It puts the selectors in a bind, I'm sure, especially considering we have so many other small defenders on our list. If you can cut through the opposition with elite kicking from defence, you create scoring opportunities and you also eliminate turnovers resulting in goals for your opponents. With Geary, it seems in every game he does at least one absolute howler of a turnover, costing us goals and (with a demoralising effect). Meanwhile, none of his kicks are damaging to the opposition. Coffield and Rice are both elite users of the ball, and White is pretty good, too, although he can improve.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Yes a selectors dilemma if all are fit. looking for best worse option Jarrad perhaps captain from the fwd pocket or be the designated tagger.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 7:53am Yes a selectors dilemma if all are fit. looking for best worse option Jarrad perhaps captain from the fwd pocket or be the designated tagger.
Not a bad idea, would be a good defensive forward. Lock down the opposition running half back.
He can also take a mark too.

Nee!
To the top
SS Life Member

Now you are starting to catch on, people

One dimensional players such as outside kickers, lock down players and hard men who can only contest a ruck hit out are those holding us back in a time of richoche transition football

If the pill richoches into you hands you have to be able to use it to generate transition and scoring opportunity

EVERY player has to have this skill

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:23am I wouldn’t be too upset if all of Geary, Brown, Gilbert and Armo aren’t picked again this season.

Unfortunately the game has passed them by, I think there are better options now.
I would also include Savage, Lonie and Weller in that lot.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

How the hell has it taken this long to get Rice into the side.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Lets not the facts stand in the way of the rubbish on this thread

Geary left the ground with 16 minutes on the clock in the third quarter, he returned for about a minute but then went off completely with 13 on the clock. you can see all this on the replay

Whilst he was off the ground in the 3rd WCE kicked 5 goals to put the game to rest. One could argue we missed his organisation in the backline during this time.

Secondly this is clearly been a good year for him, if you don't believe me check his stats

Some are pushing up Neville Jetta as a possible AA this year. I encourage you to go to the AFL.com stats page and run a comparison on the two. One could argue that Geary has had a better year.
fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saintadamski
Club Player

I have been saying this for years
Geary is not an elite player, and his decision making with disposals is very often poor. In my opinion, I also don't think that he is captain material.
What we have seen in the 4th quarter of the West Coast game was a formula that not only will start winning us games, but also develop the likes of Rice, Gresham, White, Coffield, McKenzie, and Austin into really good players.
I much prefer Austin over Brown - quicker and more nimble....and Rice - so cool under pressure with great decision making. (and he's ONLY 19!!)

If Geary, Gilbert, Lonie, Armitage and Weller keep getting played week in week out after what we have just witnessed, questions must be asked
Richo, we now all know that we have some decent youth - If you play Geary - I think a tagging role is a great idea, as he has great stamina
I still have faith that now, you will make the right decisions for the club. Time will tell
Last edited by saintadamski on Sun 03 Jun 2018 8:19pm, edited 3 times in total.

loris
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 7:56pm Lets not the facts stand in the way of the rubbish on this thread

Geary left the ground with 16 minutes on the clock in the third quarter, he returned for about a minute but then went off completely with 13 on the clock. you can see all this on the replay

Whilst he was off the ground in the 3rd WCE kicked 5 goals to put the game to rest. One could argue we missed his organisation in the backline during this time.

Secondly this is clearly been a good year for him, if you don't believe me check his stats

Some are pushing up Neville Jetta as a possible AA this year. I encourage you to go to the AFL.com stats page and run a comparison on the two. One could argue that Geary has had a better year.
fqf
Correct, any structure our backline had in the third quarter was non existent when Geary went off the ground. If you were at the ground you would have noticed all the instructions for positioning that Geary had been barking at the players left them totally lost. Both Marshall & Austin, kept losing their opponents, plus the Eagles kept quickly switching, Cripps, Le Cras, Rioli & Jetta, from one side of the ground to the other, plus quick rotations. Rice, White and Savage didn’t know at times who they were manning up on. It was a total shambles down back. Players looking at each other, for not picking up opponents when switches were on etc. No wonder the Eagles, surged in that quarter. It’s a wonder they weren’t further ahead. Savage was trying his best to organise the defence, but with little impact. The structure down back was non existent in that quarter when Geary went off.

It was at the three quarter break when obviously the coaches were able to get a bit of info & structure into the group. The fact that Newnes went down back as the loose player that your saw any leadership come back into the back section. He was then playing the General, instructing the defenders.

To the top
SS Life Member

With all due respect that has been the description of our defence for a very long time

And Geary standing in space between Opposition forwards waving his arms around has also been consistent

Watching streaming means you do not get a proper perspective of the game or positioning and responsibilities

Hence I asked who were responsible for the successive 6 goal hauls against us, both match winning

The informative response from one contributor was that no one was responsible because we play a zone defence - so everyone is responsible and I was accused for taking a shot at Geary

My response was that Geary was feted as the premier mid sized lock down defender in the competition - so, given an opposition mid sized forward was off the leash why wasn't Geary in his hip pocket - including on reputation from the opening siren

So, yes, Geary is not doing what his reputation is instead barking orders as to who was responsible for who and waving his arms around whilst not being directly responsible himself

Then we get to usage of the ball

I didn't get to see much of the WCE game but where was the comparison to Hurn?

Hurn impacts on the results of games with his usage of the pill, resulting in forward entries to the advantage of forwards so they are not competing with 3 defenders which McCartin had to deal with

The prototype is Jason Gram from defence - not Geary who is an honest footballer who played to his ability

In today's game Hickey when the ball richoches into his hands uses that split second to use the ball to advantage adding to the depth of our side

We need that depth

Rice has reasonable pace, is gaining endurance, has disposal skills and has the body and centre of gravity that can not be easily moved off the contest

The bits and pieces I saw left the opinion the richoches and bounces - and some umpiring - did not advantage us but we also had Gresham defending Kennedy

Those mismatches have also been consistent as have over the back run in goals and all up, no one down goals

Even with Geary in the side directing

Don't get me wrong. He has been an honest and dedicated contributor - in a generally very poor side over the past 8 years and Geary's 170 odd games

It is time to move on

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 12:11am Ah yes, Seb. I think he'd make a decent capitan.
so long as he acts like a leader and doesn't backchat the umps and give away a goal from nothing.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Recruit
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 7:56pm Lets not the facts stand in the way of the rubbish on this thread

fqf
Are you trying to talk him up for trade value..?

Shaggy
Club Player

loris wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 8:15pm

fqf
Correct, any structure our backline had in the third quarter was non existent when Geary went off the ground. If you were at the ground you would have noticed all the instructions for positioning that Geary had been barking at the players left them totally lost. Both Marshall & Austin, kept losing their opponents, plus the Eagles kept quickly switching, Cripps, Le Cras, Rioli & Jetta, from one side of the ground to the other, plus quick rotations. Rice, White and Savage didn’t know at times who they were manning up on. It was a total shambles down back. Players looking at each other, for not picking up opponents when switches were on etc. No wonder the Eagles, surged in that quarter. It’s a wonder they weren’t further ahead. Savage was trying his best to organise the defence, but with little impact. The structure down back was non existent in that quarter when Geary went off.

It was at the three quarter break when obviously the coaches were able to get a bit of info & structure into the group. The fact that Newnes went down back as the loose player that your saw any leadership come back into the back section. He was then playing the General, instructing the defenders.
IMO Geary will go down as one of our most under rated players. Reminds me of Jason Blake. They are/were regularly near the top of our B&F each year but many do not see it because they are not spectactular and make a mistake every now and then. They get so harshly marked down. In the meantime they save so many goals putting themselves on the line with their athleticism. Great players and I have/had so much respect for.

kalsaint
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 12:01am Reckon I'd prefer to see Coffield rather than Geary.......actually I've had enough of Savage - he never seems to even care where he kicks the ball.

And while we're at it, I hope we stay with Logan Austin ahead of Nathan Brown.
Savage needs to be there for the long kicks. The rest I reckon you are right on the money. Geary missing means many turnovers went missing.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 11:00pm
loris wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 8:15pm

fqf

IMO Geary will go down as one of our most under rated players. Reminds me of Jason Blake. They are/were regularly near the top of our B&F each year but many do not see it because they are not spectactular and make a mistake every now and then. They get so harshly marked down. In the meantime they save so many goals putting themselves on the line with their athleticism. Great players and I have/had so much respect for.
My take on the third quarter was that that this was the only quarter the Saints lost the central clearances/ Nothin to do with geary. Ball spent a lot of time in our defence and they marked well and scored. Turnovers were prevalent from missed kicks in each quarter, Geary still managed to create his own. I dont rate the guy frankly. He does some tough things but we need leadership across all lines and he doesnt move much from defence.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency