Lots of positives today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Lots of positives today

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 3:41pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 3:24pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 1:49pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 1:11pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:42pm
congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:32pm Oh jesus christ.

Chief propagandist is at it again.

Its just a flesh wound!

Negative sad sack Con G is back in town folks! Get your tickets! They're selling fast for the biggest comedy act on SS.net!

Aren't you banned? Which username is this one actually (you have 4 or 5)? I thought you were leaving after posting a new topic about it a few weeks back? Why are you still on here?
You see Con sat back yesterday with a beer or whatever he inbibes during a game, looking forward to Richmond delivering us a Coach killing smashing. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

Tell you what Con, if that smashing doesn't come in the next two weeks, it ain't gonna come.
I think some Saints fans were actually upset we nearly pulled off a win against the reigning premiers and a top 3 side on their home turf, especially with the team we fielded youth and expierence wise.

Newnes kicks that goal and we are 18 points up in the 3rd. We easily could have won and run away with it yesterday so lots of positives were present.

There is alot to like about our under 25 age group going forward. A couple more years in the system and they will only get better.
Oh man you have seriously been drinking the Koolaid.

“Nearly pulled off a win”

We have 13 less scoring shots and lost by 5 goals.

Seriously deluded.
Yes Con G.

I would say being close all day and even most of the last is pretty close to pulling off a win. I reckon we left the Tigers off the hook in the 3rd.
Nearly pulled off a win?

They almost doubled our scoring shots and won by 5 goals.

To call this a positive and almost pulling off a win is to be commending the same mediocrity of Watters’ first season as coach.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 4:06pm I must confess to being unable to find a contradiction/inconsistency in having the ability to both be (a) disappointed/frustrated at losing matches (b) able to see positive aspects in a performance by the team.

It’s just WAY too simplistic to equate having a positive outlook on SOME aspects of the result as being “tolerant of mediocrity”

Things are most definitely NOT “alright” at present, however to deny the positives from yesterday is to insult those kids who did stand up to be counted against the reigning premiers.
Exactly Jiggers. It was the point of my thread from the beginning, but as usual some take it off topic and start ranting about everything to do with the entire club.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Jack Stevens tries his guts out

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 5:51pm Jack Stevens tries his guts out
Jack Steven always tries his guts out

By inference, you are saying that others don't :idea: So really...you're being negative. :shock:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 7:19pm Yep, there a few negatives but there were heaps of positives to come out of today. It was a good effort against the reigning premiers from a very young Saints side that is struggling with confidence atm. We are also missing a few of our best 22.

Positives:
-Won the disposal count very easily and other stats
-Good in clearances, contests and hitouts
-Ross, Steven, Webster, Geary, Savage, Carlisle, Gresham were good
-Gresham 6.0 goals
-Goals v points (12.5), it just shows we can kick straight
-Phillips, Rice and Clarke got a few touches considering they have barely played
-Austin's 1st game was positive (22 touches)
-White and Dunstan were out for extended periods due to injury. I think Newnes was done early in the 4th too so that affected things.
-Paddy's comeback was ok. Loved the helmet.

All in all, our skill levels let us down as do inside 50's at times which costs us at the final siren. We lack 2-3 match winners and it shows most weeks.
The maggots only bent us over for the second half of the match. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

congorozides
Club Player

Yes Con G.

I would say being close all day and even most of the last is pretty close to pulling off a win. I reckon we left the Tigers off the hook in the 3rd.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

positives? hmmm.....

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 6:52pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 5:51pm Jack Stevens tries his guts out
Jack Steven always tries his guts out

By inference, you are saying that others don't :idea: So really...you're being negative. :shock:
on this occasion I will allow you to put words in my mouth :)

ss1986
Club Player

Its just a flesh wound!

Negative sad sack Con G is back in town folks! Get your tickets! They're selling fast for the biggest comedy act on SS.net!

Aren't you banned? Which username is this one actually (you have 4 or 5)? I thought you were leaving after posting a new topic about it a few weeks back? Why are you still on here?
You see Con sat back yesterday with a beer or whatever he inbibes during a game, looking forward to Richmond delivering us a Coach killing smashing. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

Tell you what Con, if that smashing doesn't come in the next two weeks, it ain't gonna come.
I think some Saints fans were actually upset we nearly pulled off a win against the reigning premiers and a top 3 side on their home turf, especially with the team we fielded youth and expierence wise.

Newnes kicks that goal and we are 18 points up in the 3rd. We easily could have won and run away with it yesterday so lots of positives were present.

There is alot to like about our under 25 age group going forward. A couple more years in the system and they will only get better.

Seriously deluded.
Yes Con G.

Hate to break it to you, but I’m capable of thinking for myself and happen to agree with almost everything Con says.

He’s the only person on here as vocal as I am about how stuffed we are.

All the other petals prefer to focus on warm fuzzy events like Newnes’ flash in the pan last week or Gresham’s game yesterday.

I’d call a positive constant improvement over the next 14 rounds or whatever; not a portion of a quarter in any given game.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

ss1986 wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 7:38pm

Its just a flesh wound!

Seriously deluded.
Yes Con G.

Hate to break it to you, but I’m capable of thinking for myself and happen to agree with almost everything Con says.

He’s the only person on here as vocal as I am about how stuffed we are.

All the other petals prefer to focus on warm fuzzy events like Newnes’ flash in the pan last week or Gresham’s game yesterday.

I’d call a positive constant improvement over the next 14 rounds or whatever; not a portion of a quarter in any given game.
Yep. No worries "Koolaid" Con.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
asiu
Saintsational Legend

even a win then , given arguements accepted , does not make the grade as a 'positive'

interesting

(me : i'm happy for the wins to be rare : more movement available to us at seasons end)

missing the spoon by one spot will do me just fine
... gotta go with the flow , no.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 9:32pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:49pm
congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:48pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:45pm
ace wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:42pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 7:19pm
-Paddy's comeback was ok. Loved the helmet.
You call ZERO goals from a full forward O.K.
If a centre forward in soccer does not score a goal they don't call it O.K.

Pudding was useless.
He took the place of another kid who would have benefited from the experience.
Too slow, he can never get a break on his defender because he has no acceleration.
When the opposition gets the ball they have a loose man to help escape the pressure.
You lost me at Pudding.

He was ok and provided a target. Kid? He is a damn kid himself that has only played 30 games!

He does provide a target. No arguments there. A large red circle painted on a barn door also provides a target.
You are very dumb and have no football knowledge.
Makes him an exert on this site, then. I used to believe, falsely as it turns out, this was a StKilda FAN forum. Clearly, it is not. It is full of idiots that want to tear down the club, its officials and its players at any given opportunity.

If I knew the ID of any of these fools and I saw them on fire in the street, I'd go piss on a tree.

Yes, there were positives to take out of today. Shame it is a waste of time talking about them on this forum. :roll:
+ 1

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

There is a simple solution to this tread.
If you are all doom and gloom don't read it!
Some people here are optimistic and want to find something out of this season and some people aren't.
If you fall in the latter why do you feel the need to belittle people who don't share your view.
Surely it's not hard.
Personally I'm going through a lot in life at the moment and whilst I love this club, I can't let this years performance affect me as much as others.
Therefore I need to look for positives and yes there were quite a few this week.
I don't have my head in the sand and also am aware of our shortfalls.
Myself, and a few others would prefer to look for some positives for now.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
asiu
Saintsational Legend

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."

i doubt it even ends once IlH

the neverending experience seems to be more accurate

once awareness always awareness and all that jazzmo
(which is comforting)

eons of time

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Positives????
Come on, surely this trolling?

You cant draw positives from that, going like a busted as we are now...
Thats exactly why we have the accepting of mediocrity thread running through the clubs 120 year existance.

The club is a rotting carcass in a dire situation.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

There were some positives today. Gresh was on fire, Austin played OK, Carlisle was solid and intimidating again but will probably get a week as the MRP will need to set an example. For me the backs are good now. They get hammered a lot due to the mids so once we get another outside mid they will look even better. Most likely pick 2-4 so we cant screw that up, can we?
Paddy didn't get hurt which is good. He was owned by Rance of course which wasn't great but put it down to new helmet.
And we kicked straight, OK Gresh kicked straight but first time for a while our goals were comfortably above our behinds. Shame we are playing West Coast this week as they are a class above and the confidence may get dented again.

takeaway
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote: Mon 28 May 2018 12:46pm Positives????

Thats exactly why we have the accepting of mediocrity thread running through the clubs 120 year existance.

Maybe you can't draw positives, others can.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 7:47pm Hickey won his position.
No he didn't!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

One positive that really stood out for me was Austin. Clean hands and didn't seem to panick which seemed to result in him making good decissions with skills to also allow him to execute those decisions. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes against the bigger forward line and in hostile territory.

A great opportunity for him to standup 2 weeks in a row against the two best sides in the comp.

Time will tell if his selection was a masterstroke as a backup option for our backline in the context of Roberton possibly never playing again.

Crossy66
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Mon 28 May 2018 1:29pm
iwantmeseats wrote: Mon 28 May 2018 12:46pm Positives????

Maybe you can't draw positives, others can.
I have watched the game twice now and am in the positive camp, we just looked better than previous weeks. Some poor decision making created a lot of turnovers and the Tigers hurt us each time. Fortunately they didnt have their kicking boots on. Whilst we still missed some easy shots, our goal kicking improved and its being a while since we kicked a ratio of 12.5. If we can eliminate the turnovers and continue to improve our kicking for goal we will be a good side. We won contested footy, disposals, hitouts, tackles and equalled clearances and seemed to play with a bit more purpose.

Rice, Austin and Phillips are better than i thought they would be, Billings, Geary Webster, Hickey, Steele,Savage, Ross and Gresham all took big steps forward after average starts to the season.
Paddy's role was to draw Rance away from the ball and he did that to the point where Rance was not as effective as he usually is. I think he got 55 AF points. So i wouldnt say Rance "owned" Paddy.

I would like to see the focus for the rest of the year shift to finding out how many others on our list can actually play. At the end of the year, go hard at a few of the free agents to go with an early draft pick. Imagine adding a Gaff and Sloane to our midfield plus Acres and Bruce, - we will be in the mix.

elizabethr
Club Player

Nothing to see here.

nothing to say
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

IluvHarvey wrote: Mon 28 May 2018 11:49am There is a simple solution to this tread.
Some people here are optimistic and want to find something out of this season and some people aren't.
If you fall in the latter why do you feel the need to belittle people who don't share your view.
Surely it's not hard.
Personally I'm going through a lot in life at the moment and whilst I love this club, I can't let this years performance affect me as much as others.
Therefore I need to look for positives and yes there were quite a few this week.
Of course, there we're some positive aspects to our performance last Saturday, but there has been so much focus on the positives from brave losses over the last 7 seasons, that at what point do we move on from commending honourable losses and expect to start winning?

I take your point about wanting to extract something other than doom and gloom from a disappointing season, but this is a season where the club admin declared that all KPI's are being met and that we're on the track to greatness - steady ladder position of the last two seasons, learned to win interstate, the coach has been resigned, the majority of the younger players are reaching 50 games, other players like Ross, Sinclair and Billings have gone to the next level, move to Moorabbin making us a "destination" club, lots of cap space to lure a superstar player, etc.

This was never supposed to be another development year. Even after a few bad losses, the sentiment was that it was just a bump in the road, it can be fixed, the ship will steady and finals "here we come."

Now we've conceded this as another development year and we're starting to applaud the same positives that we looked for in the Watters' era. It's a real sense of deja vu and I can't help but feel that it's a little foolhardy to see these positives as signs that once we're past this season, we will be better again. Especially if Richo is still our coach and Trout is still heading recruitment. It terrifies me to see another top 3 pick in his hands.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Crossy66
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 10:53am
IluvHarvey wrote: Mon 28 May 2018 11:49am There is a simple solution to this tread.
Surely it's not hard.
Of course, there we're some positive aspects to our performance last Saturday, but there has been so much focus on the positives from brave losses over the last 7 seasons, that at what point do we move on from commending honourable losses and expect to start winning?

I take your point about wanting to extract something other than doom and gloom from a disappointing season, but this is a season where the club admin declared that all KPI's are being met and that we're on the track to greatness - steady ladder position of the last two seasons, learned to win interstate, the coach has been resigned, the majority of the younger players are reaching 50 games, other players like Ross, Sinclair and Billings have gone to the next level, move to Moorabbin making us a "destination" club, lots of cap space to lure a superstar player, etc.

This was never supposed to be another development year. Even after a few bad losses, the sentiment was that it was just a bump in the road, it can be fixed, the ship will steady and finals "here we come."

Now we've conceded this as another development year and we're starting to applaud the same positives that we looked for in the Watters' era. It's a real sense of deja vu and I can't help but feel that it's a little foolhardy to see these positives as signs that once we're past this season, we will be better again. Especially if Richo is still our coach and Trout is still heading recruitment. It terrifies me to see another top 3 pick in his hands.
Out of curiosity, on balance, what should Trout have done differently do you think? perhaps leaving out the bust year of 2012

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 2:32pm
Surely it's not hard.

Out of curiosity, on balance, what should Trout have done differently do you think? perhaps leaving out the bust year of 2012
Do what he’s paid to do, which is recruit the best available talent.

Crossy66
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 3:04pm
Crossy66 wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 2:32pm
Surely it's not hard.

Do what he’s paid to do, which is recruit the best available talent.

mmmm... a bit general. 17 other clubs try to do the same thing and there are a few restrictions such as draft order salary cap etc etc. Its also not an exact science. Its a bit like saying Richo should do what he is paid to do - win a premiership evey year!
Would be interesting to hear what specifically he should have done.