Time to raid GWS and GCS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Time to raid GWS and GCS

Both are going pretty bad at the moment.

Surely we could grab 2-3 decent players from these souless expansion sides for our rebirth next year.

Shiel on $1mil for 5 years. Finger licking good that is.

There might be some ex-Vics looking to get back to the bayside of Melbourne...please say its the case.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Time to raid GWS and GCS

Unfortunately, "soulless" is a pretty good description of us at the moment.

congorozides
Club Player

Gold Coast. What a mistake that was.
At least with GWS they can always move to Canberra.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Those 2 clubs have been raided annually since they were created, hence where they are at.

All the paranoia that overtook the footy world since their creation has been proven to be just that.

Those clubs are in strife.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 12:42am Those 2 clubs have been raided annually since they were created, hence where they are at.

All the paranoia that overtook the footy world since their creation has been proven to be just that.

Demetriou's babies under the "expand or die" delusion that rules the corporate world.

Toss in the millions wasted on China and NZ games -- a complete waste of time.

If Aussie Rules is to take off internationally, let them find it themselves.

Till then, let's focus on improving it in the heartlands.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Shane Nelson in the WAFL is worth a look. The only bloke who got more ball tham him last year was a fella called Clinton Jones.....oh....hang on.

The Recruit
Club Player

Kelly is a MUST GET end of next year

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 1:10am
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 12:42am Those 2 clubs have been raided annually since they were created, hence where they are at.

Demetriou's babies under the "expand or die" delusion that rules the corporate world.

TV broadcast rights 2011 1.25Bil TV broadcast rights 2015 2.5bil the main reason for the huge increase is the additional potential viewing audience generated from the expansion. Yep, a complete and utter waste of time

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

People can laugh, but I think the sub par performance from GWS and the GCS might push some ex vic players out the door. They might think stuff this, I want to go home to Victoria. The Saints need to be lining up players now with big $ and a juicy contract. Fly them down to Moorabbin and show them around the joint. Blowing heaps of wind up their arse might help also. Lethlean needs to get onto it. He is a neat operator and has good contacts in AFL circles.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 8:32pm Kelly is a MUST GET end of next year
Hard to argue with the logic of the Saints desperately needing a player of Josh Kelly’s class. However, it’s also hard to argue with the logic of Kelly wanting to go to a club nearer to flag-winning potential rather than St Kilda FC. It’s going to take MUCH more than just $$$$$ to attract such players.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Apologies for the multi- post folks!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:12pm
Hard to argue with the logic of the Saints desperately needing a player of Josh Kelly’s class. However, it’s also hard to argue with the logic of Kelly wanting to go to a club nearer to flag-winning potential rather than St Kilda FC. It’s going to take MUCH more than just $$$$$ to attract such players.
True Jiggers, but you can only try. If we went to a group of players and offered good $ and said we want the 3-4 of you guys at the Saints next year and you could quickly help turn things around at the club with a good bunch of kids on the rise...then anything is possible.

I personally don't always buy into this wanting to win a flag or wanting to go to a side nearer to a flag argument. I think a player knows he has a limited time span in the game these days and he has to make the most out of it.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:17pm Apologies for the multi- post folks!
you can delete posts now jiggy. go edit - delete.
or fill them up with saints vids! :D

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:18pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:12pm
True Jiggers, but you can only try. If we went to a group of players and offered good $ and said we want the 3-4 of you guys at the Saints next year and you could quickly help turn things around at the club with a good bunch of kids on the rise...then anything is possible.

I personally don't always buy into this wanting to win a flag or wanting to go to a side nearer to a flag argument. I think a player knows he has a limited time span in the game these days and he has to make the most out of it.
Very true, your point about “wanting to win a flag etc” personally, I think it’s academic as the Saints won’t come within a bulls roar of winning a flag in the next ten- fifteen years.

chico2001
Club Player

How about trying to get a decent ruckman who can have an impact on games and a sharpshooting forward who can kick goals from 50m out and on the run, be of far more benefit

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 9:57pm How about trying to get a decent ruckman who can have an impact on games and a sharpshooting forward who can kick goals from 50m out and on the run, be of far more benefit
My worry would be that we’d take these dead eye dicks like Paddy and Membrey and ‘teach’ them out of their great techniques

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:05pm

TV broadcast rights 2011 1.25Bil TV broadcast rights 2015 2.5bil the main reason for the huge increase is the additional potential viewing audience generated from the expansion. Yep, a complete and utter waste of time
The rights have increased like most things with Inflation and more recently with the internet companies joining the traditional TV broadcasters and even telco's trying to bid for these assets, I think the competition for all sports broadcast rights is growing across the board.

Is expansion really the main reason? I'm not an expert so unless people provide clear evidence I'm a tad skeptical.

It's always easier to retain customers rather than trying to find new ones. The other thing that gets lost is the opportunity to organically grow the game as the population grows in the AFL playing states may be just as important as the expansion to northern states.

Perhaps with the money they have spent on the expansion teams it could have been better spent on more staff and more places for elite talent and junior development programs (some of the best AFL coaches have told us how unprepared the vast majority of 18 year olds are when drafted) ...as well as just continuing to invest in marketing aussie rules versus other sports in the regions where aussie rules is traditionally the number 1 winter sport ( as opposed to rugby/soccer/basketball etc.).

SMS
Club Player

I don't see how we DONT get JKelly

Gaff this year, J.Kelly next year - Flag in 2020

Things aren't so bad
Goddard is building and so is Freeman
I think they'll be players. Also Rice Phillips Look to be guns. Billings will get back.

2020 flag team
Webster. Goddard. Rice
Roberton. Carlisle. Coffield
Clark. Dunstan. Gaff
Long. Bruce. Billings
Gresham. McCartin. Membrey

Hickey Steven. J.Kelly

Acres. Freeman. Marshall. White

stonecold
SS Life Member

SMS wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 9:24am I don't see how we DONT get JKelly

Gaff this year, J.Kelly next year - Flag in 2020

Things aren't so bad
Goddard is building and so is Freeman
I think they'll be players. Also Rice Phillips Look to be guns. Billings will get back.

2020 flag team
Webster. Goddard. Rice
Roberton. Carlisle. Coffield
Clark. Dunstan. Gaff
Long. Bruce. Billings
Gresham. McCartin. Membrey

Hickey Steven. J.Kelly

Acres. Freeman. Marshall. White

Like your positivity, however just don't see that team winning a flag, also where's our first rnd picks from this year and next?????
Also, you don't have Phillips in?????

We carnt win a game with Hickey as our first ruck, so, how can we win a flag for example?????

Too many question marks on the following players for mine:

Goddard, Hickey, Marshall, Bruce, Macartin, Robertson, Freeman, Rice, Billings and White!!!!!

Of course, hope your right and I'm happy if you are!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
chico2001
Club Player

Yes, a bit of wishful thinking with that team SMS. You have got 8 current players who have played about 20 games between them and the custodian hasnt played in the seniors for nigh on 2 seasons. The full forward would have to improve 200% at least. Phillips would get a game based on current form. Read one of my other posts on why Gaff wont go to the saints and ask why Kelly didnt get recruited this year. I believe he is also contracted for 3 years at GWS. All in all, take out the gun recruits and it is not a bad team and would go close to winning the VFL flag in 2020. And that would be not a bad result.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Footy can turn quick.
But even with two new guns, this side is not going to be winning a flag in 2 years.
Now. Come on.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Last time we dealt with Gold Coast, we gave up a 1st rnd pick for Hickey, so no thanks!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 11:50pm
BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:05pm

The rights have increased like most things with Inflation and more recently with the internet companies joining the traditional TV broadcasters and even telco's trying to bid for these assets, I think the competition for all sports broadcast rights is growing across the board.

Is expansion really the main reason? I'm not an expert so unless people provide clear evidence I'm a tad skeptical.

It's always easier to retain customers rather than trying to find new ones. The other thing that gets lost is the opportunity to organically grow the game as the population grows in the AFL playing states may be just as important as the expansion to northern states.

Perhaps with the money they have spent on the expansion teams it could have been better spent on more staff and more places for elite talent and junior development programs (some of the best AFL coaches have told us how unprepared the vast majority of 18 year olds are when drafted) ...as well as just continuing to invest in marketing aussie rules versus other sports in the regions where aussie rules is traditionally the number 1 winter sport ( as opposed to rugby/soccer/basketball etc.).
TV Viewing audience numbers down and NRL beating AFL.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-on ... ssion=true

The AFL needs to market and promote the organic growth of aussie rules in Melbourne/Victoria and all other towns, cities and states ( and Territories) where AFL is traditionally the number one sport. What is the limit to the amount of money, time, and resources that will be wasted on expansion? Natural population growth means the game will grow if they aggressively promote the game in locations where it has generations of historical support.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Must get Kelly but North are well and truly in the box seat now, and i'd have Carlton second. Last year i'd have had us as the most desired of these three.
We need to show vast improvement and a change of direction next year. Including a new and inspiring coach. Get Hayes over as an assistant as well to help attract Kelly.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There's not that much left to raid, really. We snagged Bruce and Steele fairly cheap but paid quite a bit for Hickey. There are no longer many talented guys who can't crack a senior game at those clubs and not too many young guys who planned on seeing out their first contract and then going home. We missed the boat