Saints and China

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints and China

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 11:23am
saynta wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 7:37pm Been there, shithole with all the pollution and the Chinese don't really like us. Reckon we are American puppets.

Oh and you need to battle temperatures in the high 30s this time of the year.

I wouldn't do anything to empower and enrich Port and that's exactly what you would be doing

The power actually want to play back to back games there next year giving them basically 13 home games.

They say contractual arrangements with Adelaide Oval means they can't play one of their home games in China.

I would tell Port to piss off.
High 30s in spring! I don't think so.

Everyone I've spoken to has loved visiting China. I've always found them friendly as a tourist. If the timing was right I'd definitely go to a game in Shanghai.
It was 37 and 35 degrees the two days before the match. I have actually been there, you haven't obviously.. Everything I said above you can take as gospel.

saint64
Club Player

stevie wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:23pm
desertsaint wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 6:25pm gee a home game against port? in china?
well it's better than the status quo.
True. But in the other hand we would be rocking all over the world :lol:
Instead of just living on an island?

David-Lee
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 5:27pm (which we don't have much of and next year, after all the lapsed members due to this year's debacle).
??

where did you get this info?

we actually have record membership-- but I guess the nasayers will claim that as fake news to 'support' their debate.
Ummm no we don't have more memberships ... The AFL changed the standards for reporting membership this allows us to count every type of membership sold not just full memberships....so now 3 games, interstate, pets (being cheeky), etc all count towards membership totals.

Ask the club to compare full memberships this year with last...
Every club has improved numbers due to this change

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 11:30am
saynta wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 7:37pm Been there, shithole with all the pollution and the Chinese don't really like us. Reckon we are American puppets.

I wouldn't do anything to empower and enrich Port and that's exactly what you would be doing

The power actually want to play back to back games there next year giving them basically 13 home games.

They say contractual arrangements with Adelaide Oval means they can't play one of their home games in China.

Everyone I've spoken to has loved visiting China. I've always found them friendly as a tourist. If the timing was right I'd definitely go to a game in Shanghai.
It was 37 and 35 degrees the two days before the match. I have actually been there, you haven't obviously.. Everything I said above you can take as gospel.
Fair enough on the weather, maybe target earlier in the season.
And I will take as gospel that people didn't like you in China. But it hasn't been my experience or that of any of my family or friends.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
David-Lee
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:

And I will take as gospel that people didn't like you in China. But it hasn't been my experience or that of any of my family or friends.
Same. Lots of wonderful family memories travelling through China. People were very receptive to Aussies and yes it was 3rd worldish in some aspects but I guess only a fool would presume the ocean is the same as the fish bowl he swims in .....

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'd go for sure, couldn't be worse than Victoria Park in the 70's and 80's.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

so if understand correctly - there is a minimum of $1m on offer.

AFL and whomever the Chinese connection is , want a Vic based club to participate.
Port will want a guaranteed win which makes us their obvious preferred choice.

We hold all the cards so why would we not ask for $2m ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 3:53pm

I didn't say anyone didn't like me. I said the general Chinese population don't like Australians.

I regularly travel overseas with my Asian friends including some who are Chinese, but from Singapore and Malaysia

I believe what they tell me.

You really try hard to be offensive don't you. Water off a duck's back to me.

I don't know why I am bothering to explain to you but we are continually portrayed in the Chinese press as racist and anti Chinese while at the same time as crawling up America's arse.

Get your head out of the clouds pal and smell the reality of the world FFS. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

There is nothing to be gained by the Saints by playing in China apart from some money.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 6:38pmI regularly travel overseas with my Asian friends including some who are Chinese, but from Singapore and Malaysia

So your Chinese friends who aren't from China told you that Chinese people don't like Australians?

Sounds pretty scientific…

I've been to China and Shanghai… people were great and I never heard or felt any of this 3rd hand sentiment that you are spruiking as fact.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 9:08pm
saynta wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 6:38pmI regularly travel overseas with my Asian friends including some who are Chinese, but from Singapore and Malaysia

So your Chinese friends who aren't from China told you that Chinese people don't like Australians?

Sounds pretty scientific…

I've been to China and Shanghai… people were great and I never heard or felt any of this 3rd hand sentiment that you are spruiking as fact.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 11dab8d23c

http://www.afr.com/news/how-the-chinese ... 122-h0m6kt

"Ms Qiao and her friends seem oblivious to the negative reports about Australia that have been running in China's state-run media since the start of the year. Not everyone in China feels the same way.

"It seems like Australia is getting a bit racist and they don't like yellow-coloured people," says a man selling cooked duck, chicken feet and tofu from a stall on a busy corner in Shanghai's French Concession. The 30-year-old, who identifies himself as "Mr Zhou", migrated to Shanghai from the mountainous Anhui province in central China 10 years earlier. He says he gets most of his information about Australia from conversations on WeChat – China's most popular social media platform – and has no plans to visit because it is too expensive. "

I could link a dozen similar articles but you guys know better don't you?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

So Mr Zhou, thinks we're racist. Cancel the trip.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 1:49pm So Mr Zhou, thinks we're racist. Cancel the trip.
I was wrong, you don';t have your head in the clouds, it is firmly wedged up your arse.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-23/c ... es/9789014

"China's Foreign Minister has told Julie Bishop that Australia needs to remove its "tinted glasses" and "translate its words into concrete actions" to improve ties after tensions over Beijing's anger with recent political moves by Canberra.
Key points:

The terse remarks followed a meeting between Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Ms Bishop on the sidelines of the G20 foreign ministers' conference in Argentina, and produced markedly different responses from the two sides.

Foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang quoted Mr Wang as telling Ms Bishop that Australia needed to "take off tinted glasses [and] see China's development from a positive perspective" if it really wanted to get relations back on track.

"Tinted glasses" is Chinese diplomatic shorthand for what it sees as Western bias."

What the Chinese authorities aided by its state controlled press are trying to do is bully us into falling into line with Chinese aspirations.

With this aim in mind they are poisoning the Chinese population against this country calling us racists.

You can believe what you want, I don't give a rats.

I do however give a rats about playing port for ports benefit in China.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

As I said above Parky, they don't like us and are tryoing to bully us into being submissive to them.

"THE Chinese government has warned it could cut Australian imports by billions of dollars.

The state-run Global Times newspaper issued a lengthy editorial today slamming the nation, saying: “It is necessary for China to leave Australia hanging for a while, instead of being too quick to bury the hatchet whenever Canberra tries to put a smile on its face.”

The article said it was time to “make Australia pay for its arrogant attitudes it has revealed toward China over the past two years”.

It threatened trade reductions to harm the Australian economy, noting wine and beef as items that can “easily” be replaced with the products from the US.

Australia has taken a notably warmer tone towards Beijing this past week, following months of strain over the introduction of foreign interference laws.

Trade Minister Steve Ciobo heaped praise on the rising superpower at a conference in Shanghai last week, describing China as a “true global giant” and saying Sino-Australian relations had developed into “something more”, according to The Australian.

Yesterday Foreign Minister Julie Bishop trumpeted her recent meeting with her Chinese counterpart Wang Yi as “warm, candid and constructive”, saying she “gets along very well” with Mr Yi.
Julie Bishop was all smiles after meeting with Wang Yi, but he gave a different account.

Julie Bishop was all smiles after meeting with Wang Yi, but he gave a different account.Source:Supplied

But Mr Yi gave a less amicable description of the encounter.

In a Foreign Ministry statement, he said: “Due to the Australian side, China and Australia are encountering difficulties in the relationship, and communications and co-operation have been affected recently.”

He added: “What I want to emphasise is, if Australia really hopes the relationship to return to the right track and develop in a healthy way, Australia must get rid of traditional thinking, put down their coloured glasses and see China’s development in a more positive perspective.”

A recent truce in the US-China trade war has been announced, with reports US beef will be a key beneficiary for Chinese consumers.

“Metal ore is Australia’s major export to China. As long as China is in need of the metal exports, and a replacement remains difficult to find, they will continue to import them. But when it comes to wine and beef, China can easily import those items from the US, replacing Australia,” the editorial says.

“The scope of import reductions could be limited. Last year, Australia exported $76.45 billion in goods to China. Lowering Aussie exports by $6.45 billion would send cold chills up and down the spine of Australia. Of course, it would be an even greater shock if the import reductions totalled $10 billion.

“China has been very friendly toward Australia, but their arrogant attitudes in return over the past two years have become a virtual example of what it means to ‘bite the hand that feeds’.”

The editorial also flagged the South China Sea and “ideological issues” as sources of tension.

Last year, the Chinese government imposed a temporary ban on Australian beef imports, over what the Turnbull Government said was labelling noncompliance.

The ban, which the ABC said cost beef exporters a $1 million a day, was lifted after three months of negotiations."

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

10% of our overseas born population is Chinese. 3rd only to New Zealand and England. 5% of our population is of Chinese heritage and over 15 years immigration from China has doubled. Go figure.

David-Lee
Club Player

Its actually comical....the OP just wants to know how we feel about potentially having a game in China where we make some big money.
Yes, we need cash, yes we will sacrifice a home game or anything you want...Hell no! The AFL would never further damage Chinese interest by sending out putrid team to kick 4.17 in a match in China so just relax.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:42pm Its actually comical....the OP just wants to know how we feel about potentially having a game in China where we make some big money.
Yes, we need cash, yes we will sacrifice a home game or anything you want...Hell no! The AFL would never further damage Chinese interest by sending out putrid team to kick 4.17 in a match in China so just relax.

Hope you are right.

David-Lee
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:44pm
David-Lee wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:42pm Its actually comical....the OP just wants to know how we feel about potentially having a game in China where we make some big money.

Hope you are right.

I heard ( read bullsh!t) that it was GWS and Western Bulldogs....done deal already...my mates cousin is on the board at Doggie Town...however everything he has ever said has been wrong.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:47pm
saynta wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:44pm

Hope you are right.

I heard ( read bullsh!t) that it was GWS and Western Bulldogs....done deal already...my mates cousin is on the board at Doggie Town...however everything he has ever said has been wrong.
Did he prefer Billings over Bont?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 4:44pm
As I said above Parky, they don't like us and are tryoing to bully us into being submissive to them.

"THE Chinese government has warned it could cut Australian imports by billions of dollars.

The state-run Global Times newspaper issued a lengthy editorial today slamming the nation, saying: “It is necessary for China to leave Australia hanging for a while, instead of being too quick to bury the hatchet whenever Canberra tries to put a smile on its face.”

The article said it was time to “make Australia pay for its arrogant attitudes it has revealed toward China over the past two years”.

It threatened trade reductions to harm the Australian economy, noting wine and beef as items that can “easily” be replaced with the products from the US.

Australia has taken a notably warmer tone towards Beijing this past week, following months of strain over the introduction of foreign interference laws.

Trade Minister Steve Ciobo heaped praise on the rising superpower at a conference in Shanghai last week, describing China as a “true global giant” and saying Sino-Australian relations had developed into “something more”, according to The Australian.

Yesterday Foreign Minister Julie Bishop trumpeted her recent meeting with her Chinese counterpart Wang Yi as “warm, candid and constructive”, saying she “gets along very well” with Mr Yi.
Julie Bishop was all smiles after meeting with Wang Yi, but he gave a different account.

Julie Bishop was all smiles after meeting with Wang Yi, but he gave a different account.Source:Supplied

But Mr Yi gave a less amicable description of the encounter.

In a Foreign Ministry statement, he said: “Due to the Australian side, China and Australia are encountering difficulties in the relationship, and communications and co-operation have been affected recently.”

He added: “What I want to emphasise is, if Australia really hopes the relationship to return to the right track and develop in a healthy way, Australia must get rid of traditional thinking, put down their coloured glasses and see China’s development in a more positive perspective.”

A recent truce in the US-China trade war has been announced, with reports US beef will be a key beneficiary for Chinese consumers.

“Metal ore is Australia’s major export to China. As long as China is in need of the metal exports, and a replacement remains difficult to find, they will continue to import them. But when it comes to wine and beef, China can easily import those items from the US, replacing Australia,” the editorial says.

“The scope of import reductions could be limited. Last year, Australia exported $76.45 billion in goods to China. Lowering Aussie exports by $6.45 billion would send cold chills up and down the spine of Australia. Of course, it would be an even greater shock if the import reductions totalled $10 billion.

“China has been very friendly toward Australia, but their arrogant attitudes in return over the past two years have become a virtual example of what it means to ‘bite the hand that feeds’.”

The editorial also flagged the South China Sea and “ideological issues” as sources of tension.

Last year, the Chinese government imposed a temporary ban on Australian beef imports, over what the Turnbull Government said was labelling noncompliance.

The ban, which the ABC said cost beef exporters a $1 million a day, was lifted after three months of negotiations."
True! As I said in an earlier post, a government official or businessman would gladly crap in your special fried rice and still expect a trade deal to go through!

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I thought the plan was to play a game of footy. I don’t know how that’s affected by China’s attitude to trade.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 11:53pm I thought the plan was to play a game of footy. I don’t know how that’s affected by China’s attitude to trade.
I just don't want the Saints to be "sell outs." Sure, we might get a $1mil playing in Shangers which is great for the profit/loss excel spreadsheet stored on a Moorabbin hard drive, but we will just get thumped every time we travel there anyway. I'm not a fan of how the Chinese government treats its people and is trying to bully our country into submission at the moment. All that travel could derail a season too. It doesn't sit well with me sorry.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 12:02am
kosifantutti wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 11:53pm I thought the plan was to play a game of footy. I don’t know how that’s affected by China’s attitude to trade.
I just don't want the Saints to be "sell outs." Sure, we might get a $1mil playing in Shangers which is great for the profit/loss excel spreadsheet stored on a Moorabbin hard drive, but we will just get thumped every time we travel there anyway. I'm not a fan of how the Chinese government treats its people and is trying to bully our country into submission at the moment. All that travel could derail a season too. It doesn't sit well with me sorry.
Hmmm. Let's play them at Etihad and get smashed for $60000 in front of 15000 die hard members instead???

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 12:08am
parkeysainter wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 12:02am
Hmmm. Let's play them at Etihad and get smashed for $60000 in front of 15000 die hard members instead???
Why not? Then we can head to nearby Chinatown (its not far from Etihad) for after match celebrations. We don't need to travel to Shangers after all.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

China is a must. I can see the headlines now.
Long Brown Rice: a staple for the Chinese appetite.