Milney in today's Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Milney in today's Age

Stephen Milne believes St Kilda’s goalkicking woes have descended into a mental issue, with the former Saints sharpshooter saying he would be happy to offer his help.

Slumping St Kilda have just a draw to show from their past seven matches, all of which have ended with the Saints kicking more behinds than goals. A score of 8.11 (59) against Fremantle in Perth on Saturday night meant the Saints have kicked 73 or fewer points in every game since kicking 16.11 (107) to beat the Brisbane Lions in round one.

St Kilda kicked six goals in the third quarter against the Dockers but just two for the rest of the game. Tim Membrey – who had kicked 91.39 in his AFL career before this year – finished with 1.5, taking his season’s tally to 6.12.

The Saints, who are statistically the most inaccurate side in the competition this year, struggled with goalkicking last year, leading them to hire former Hawthorn forward Ben Dixon as a part-time goalkicking coach. The Saints are understood to be staying the course with Dixon, who has altered the goalkicking technique of about half the club’s list.

Four-time Saints leading goalkicker Milne, who kicked 574.324 in 275 games from 2001 to 2013, said it hurt him to see them miss so many chances.

“It’s obviously frustrating to watch. Obviously no player means to miss goals,” Milne told The Age.

“It is very tough. That’s kind of been a consistent theme over a year, a year-and-a-half.

“They’d be working hard during the week to fix it, but it’s probably getting to a bit of a mental issue at the moment.”

Asked if he would offer his services to help solve the problem, Milne said he would “love to” but was careful not to tread on the toes of Dixon.

“You never say never. I’d love to one day get back involved in the club. They’re the club I love,” Milne said. “But obviously Ben Dixon’s the part-time goalkicking coach down there. I bumped into him a couple of weeks ago. I’m sure Ben’s doing as much as he can to straighten up the woes down there.

“They’ll be doing hours and hours of work.

“I’m a bit flat seeing the way they’re going at the moment, but obviously what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. It’s only one week or two weeks, you can have a couple of wins and turn your season around.”

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milney in today's Age

Good onya Milney....still reckon he had another year left in him

Nee!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote:Good onya Milney....still reckon he had another year left in him
Indeed. Retired early as part of the good public relations strategy. Which has
only sucked the life out of the club.

axcellence
Club Player

He’s served his time. Bring him in.
If nothing else then to get the enthusiasm

Vazelos
Club Player

What a player we have nothing like him now an absolute gun and delight to watch.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I found this a bit frightening:
The Saints are understood to be staying the course with Dixon, who has altered the goalkicking technique of about half the club’s list.
For gawd's sake keep him away from the other half!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Milne ranks #37 on the all time goal kicking list with 574 goals and 324 behinds from 275 games at an average of 2.09 goals per game. He is the best goal kicking small forward the game has seen. In that sense, and if current position type was adhered to (rather than the resting second rover of the past), he would be in the best 22 of all time. Certainly, none of his rivals have an average more than 2 ( e.g. Kevin Bartlett - 1.93). The other thing to note about him is his accuracy at 63.9% (cf Bartlett 49% and Matthews 55.8%) for a player who had most of his shots on the run. Tony Lockett and Peter Hudson are the two most accurate of all time - around 70% - but most of their shots were after marks or frees (not too many of those for Plugger).

Had the bounce of the ball in 2010 been kind, the way Stephen Milne is viewed would have been changed dramatically - along with many other St Kilda players and coaches. It was pure luck, he had turned his opponent and was in A1 position to take full advantage. It has been said that Darrel Baldock was able to pick the way the ball would bounce, but not even he could stop it bouncing away from him.

The other thing to note about Stephen Milne is that he displayed his kicking skills from day 1. Like even the best (Nick Riewoldt) - his snap goal accuracy was better than his set shot accuracy. It does lead one to the conclusion that you've either got it or you ain't. If players in their mid 20s, and after 100 games, still think that running in an arc and then hooking the ball back is going to result in goals, then there is not much a kicking coach can do.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Awesome Milney. I think he holds the record for most consecutive goals scored???

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Stephen Milne ranks #37 on the all time goal kicking list with 574 goals and 324 behinds from 275 games at an average of 2.09 goals per game. He is the best goal kicking small forward the game has seen. In that sense, and if current position type was adhered to (rather than the resting second rover of the past), he would be in the best 22 of all time. Certainly, none of his rivals have an average more than 2 ( e.g. Kevin Bartlett - 1.93). The other thing to note about him is his accuracy at 63.9% (cf Bartlett 49% and Matthews 55.8%) for a player who had most of his shots on the run. Tony Lockett and Peter Hudson are the two most accurate of all time - around 70% - but most of their shots were after marks or frees (not too many of those for Plugger).

Had the bounce of the ball in 2010 been kind, the way Stephen Milne is viewed would have been changed dramatically - along with many other St Kilda players and coaches. It was pure luck, he had turned his opponent and was in A1 position to take full advantage. It has been said that Darrel Baldock was able to pick the way the ball would bounce, but not even he could stop it bouncing away from him.

The other thing to note about Stephen Milne is that he displayed his kicking skills from day 1. Like even the best (Nick Riewoldt) - his snap goal accuracy was better than his set shot accuracy. It does lead one to the conclusion that you've either got it or you ain't. If players in their mid 20s, and after 100 games, still think that running in an arc and then hooking the ball back is going to result in goals, then there is not much a kicking coach can do.
Had the ball bounced normally, there was still a minute and half left on the clock. That doesn’t guarantee a win

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:Stephen Milne ranks #37 on the all time goal kicking list with 574 goals and 324 behinds from 275 games at an average of 2.09 goals per game. He is the best goal kicking small forward the game has seen. In that sense, and if current position type was adhered to (rather than the resting second rover of the past), he would be in the best 22 of all time. Certainly, none of his rivals have an average more than 2 ( e.g. Kevin Bartlett - 1.93). The other thing to note about him is his accuracy at 63.9% (cf Bartlett 49% and Matthews 55.8%) for a player who had most of his shots on the run. Tony Lockett and Peter Hudson are the two most accurate of all time - around 70% - but most of their shots were after marks or frees (not too many of those for Plugger).

And spent five years playing in Ross Lyon's ultra-defensive, low-scoring team.
Would have had a field day in a more free-scoring side. His goal average is
still better than Eddie Betts'.

poatina
Club Player

Milney was great and wouldn’t we love to have him in now, but let’s not forget he was a very unreliable set shot for goal and had little distance in his kicks. We need a combination of a Peter Hudson who got Stevie Lowe to kick serviceably , a sport scientist or movement buff for the mechanics ( although Blind Freddy could see Greshams tour of the countryside run up and Membery’ s latest cramped up style are not going to work) and a psychologist to get between the ears .
I doubt Milney was seriously offering himself as a kicking coach, unless ( like most of us) he sees only the highlights in the rear view mirror.

saint-stu
Club Player

poatina wrote:Milney was great and wouldn’t we love to have him in now, but let’s not forget he was a very unreliable set shot for goal and had little distance in his kicks. We need a combination of a Peter Hudson who got Stevie Lowe to kick serviceably , a sport scientist or movement buff for the mechanics ( although Blind Freddy could see Greshams tour of the countryside run up and Membery’ s latest cramped up style are not going to work) and a psychologist to get between the ears .
I doubt Milney was seriously offering himself as a kicking coach, unless ( like most of us) he sees only the highlights in the rear view mirror.
I remember there was a period where Milney's set shots were actually really reliable. I can't remember which year or years it was. But I remember he played more like a taller forward, taking marks on the lead and kicking set shots.

1ac46a38
Winmar
Club Player

Didn't he kick about 30 set shots without missing during one period?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:I found this a bit frightening:
The Saints are understood to be staying the course with Dixon, who has altered the goalkicking technique of about half the club’s list.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Had the ball bounced normally, there was still a minute and half left on the clock. That doesn’t guarantee a win
Thought it was more like 40 seconds.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

1.31, but who's counting!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

freely wrote: Tue 15 May 2018 9:43am I found this a bit frightening:
I would love to get some pre-Dixon stats
I get the feeling a lot of players were missing to the left
after Dixon correction - they are now missing to the right

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

freely wrote: Tue 15 May 2018 9:43am I found this a bit frightening:
I would love to get some pre-Dixon stats
I get the feeling a lot of players were missing to the left
after Dixon correction - they are now missing to the right

Seeya
beebarry
Club Player

And a lovely bloke too - saw him last year outside Etihad and asked him for a photo with my 2 kids - he scooped up my 4year old and held the hand of the 6 year old and didnt just take the photo but chated to them for a few minutes too. Would LOVE Milney and Plugger at the Saints to get their kicking back on track .... can you imagine the look on the players faces if those two strolled into training ... just a lazy 1800+ goals between them ....