Five reasons not to go for Fyfe next year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Five reasons not to go for Fyfe next year

Shane Yarren says Fyfe's the most hated player at the Dockers, it's probably just sour grapes but it's not the first time we've heard it.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Shane Yarren says Fyfe's the most hated player at the Dockers, it's probably just sour grapes but it's not the first time we've heard it.
I would take a knob like Yarran bagging hum :?: as an endorsement!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
saintbob wrote:Shane Yarren says Fyfe's the most hated player at the Dockers, it's probably just sour grapes but it's not the first time we've heard it.
I would take a knob like Yarran bagging hum :?: as an endorsement!
Yep - A bloke facing further gaol time for violence doesn't like you. Haha Big deal. I don't want Fyfe but not because I don't reckon he's a gun or that I'd be worried he's a knob. The bloke is a superstar, and I get the feeling he demands high standards that some of the other guys struggle to deal with. Having said that, not sure he'd make the best skipper unless he's prepared to be a bit more flexible. From afar it reminds me a little bit of Nathan Buckley - and in the end he turned out to be a fair leader and was able to adjust and bend a little for the group.

I would still prefer Dylan Shiel, Josh Kelly etc etc

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Salary Cap

#gosaintas
Club Player

I want Fyfe. May turn into the best footballer in history and he's 25. Pay up and get him.

st.rick
Club Player

One reason to get Fyfe, He is over his injuries and has 5 great years of footy winning 3 brownlows.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We need a line-breaking midfielder like Johannisen to take our midfield to the next level - for balance - we only have Steven at the moment.
Even With Fyfe, we would still need one (more).
Last edited by samoht on Mon 02 Jan 2017 9:12am, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dylan Sheil

samoht
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Dylan Sheil
Yes, Shiel makes more sense to me.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

If Fyfe wants out, Freo won't match crazy money offers. Why would they want to keep a player who wants out and have to restructure their salary cap on the fly? If Fyfe indicates he wants out we will go after him with a huge offer.

Stop whinging about money like little babies. We have carefully structured our salary grading at this stage in the rebuild to have plenty to go after exactly a player like Fyfe. He is the midfielder superstar that we would exactly be targeting. It almost seems like we didn't use our super high picks for a genuine onballer for that reason. It's a risk we've taken to fill other holes and if we land Fyfe of Martin it pays off huge. Get used to us throwing huge money at someone as its been our plan from the get go once FA came in.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

If Fyfe wants to leave Fred and come to us, we would be insane not to go after him, the comparison between him and Shiel is interesting. Both are great players but Fyfe is something special, not only is he an elite mid, but he can also go forward and kick a bag of goals, in these days of limited rotations, the ability to move Fyfe forward for a rest is extra valuable.
The other thing to realize is that a Fyfe is a free agent, he will cost us nothing to get him. We could pick him up and still have two first round picks in the draft whereas Shiel will cost at least 2 high draft picks. Their salary demands wouldn't be too fat apart either,

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

We're getting Shiel or Kelly and that's a scientific fact

Saintberra
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:We're getting Shiel or Kelly and that's a scientific fact
What's the hypothesis? Followed by the method, please. :lol: :lol:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:If Fyfe wants out, Freo won't match crazy money offers. Why would they want to keep a player who wants out and have to restructure their salary cap on the fly? If Fyfe indicates he wants out we will go after him with a huge offer.

Stop whinging about money like little babies. We have carefully structured our salary grading at this stage in the rebuild to have plenty to go after exactly a player like Fyfe. He is the midfielder superstar that we would exactly be targeting. It almost seems like we didn't use our super high picks for a genuine onballer for that reason. It's a risk we've taken to fill other holes and if we land Fyfe of Martin it pays off huge. Get used to us throwing huge money at someone as its been our plan from the get go once FA came in.

Best post I've seen in a long while.

Worth signing in and saying so. 100% agree and like you can't believe a sane person would think otherwise.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Huge offers are crazy and the lazy and unsustainable approach - looking for easy shortcuts.
I'd rather we concentrated on developing our own talent and on recruiting the next Bont or Johanissen (who was a mere rookie pick and exactly the run and carry player we needed and still need) -- or maybe we should just poach the Bulldog recruiters?

Save the bickies - and do things smarter - make our recruiters earn their keep and keep improving our recruitment team - poach the best recruiters if we must (what did we see in Brad Howard that we did not see in Johanissen? - I'm sorry, but that's not good enough!).

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Huge offers are crazy and the lazy and unsustainable approach - looking for easy shortcuts.
I'd rather we concentrated on developing our own talent and on recruiting the next Bont or Johanissen (who was a mere rookie pick and exactly the run and carry player we needed and still need) -- or maybe we should just poach the Bulldog recruiters?

Save the bickies - and do things smarter - make our recruiters earn their keep and keep improving our recruitment team - poach the best recruiters if we must (what did we see in Brad Howard that we did not see in Johanissen? - I'm sorry, but that's not good enough!).

Every club is trying to recruit the next bont every year...

Are you scared of making a big offer because you are comparing to your own wage? What does saving money get us when you need to pay the cap regardless?

Crazy not to want to recruit the best player in the competition...

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I want us to recruit the best players possible in the competition, spinner, on a continual basis - and for that you need the best recruiters.

Because we looked at a Johanissen (a gift horse) in the mouth is the reason we now need to pay through the nose for a Fyfe. :?

We need recruiters that recognise the gift horses!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I want us to recruit the best players possible in the competition, spinner, on a continual basis - and for that you need the best recruiters.

Because we looked at a Johanissen (a gift horse) in the mouth is the reason we now need to pay through the nose for a Fyfe. :?

We need recruiters that recognise the gift horses!
You've got to be kidding with the Johannisen schtick… pick 39 in the rookie draft means that every club looked him over multiple times before he was taken as an absolute smokey.

The dogs have drafted well, but let's not get ridiculous about a late rookie pick that came off.

A much bigger factor from that draft would be getting Wallis & Libba very cheap just before the father-son rules were changed.

The same draft period they butchered
trading out Everitt who they drafted in with pick 11 for Veszpremi
Gave away a first rounder for Justin Sherman
Traded in Djerrkura for 57
Picked up 3 spuds with late picks in the ND - Schofield, Hill & Skinner
Before striking gold in the rookie draft with Dahlhaus & Johannisen

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I'm guessing a lot of their trading, dragit - some of it speculative - was an attempt to get the balance right -- and they probably considered they had other (better) players who would play in the positions - so Everitt for instance may have been superfluous to their needs in the positions that he played in.
Johanissen should have been on our watchlist - we needed and still need that run and carry and midfield spread.
He would have been a free hit - we needed that type of player!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Harry-hindsight references aside… the whole point of picking up a free agent is that you still get to use your picks yeah?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I know I started this thread but after reading all the comments I am definitely on the fence. I think this is going to be a watching brief until the end of the season or Fyfe re-signs with Freo (if he does).
The reality is all 17 clubs will be making enquiries. This is going to be a hot issue in 2017.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I know I started this thread but after reading all the comments I am definitely on the fence. I think this is going to be a watching brief until the end of the season or Fyfe re-signs with Freo (if he does).
The reality is all 17 clubs will be making enquiries. This is going to be a hot issue in 2017.
I reckon he'll sign a long term deal with freo early in the season so we won't need to worry for long.

Freo have plenty of cash, so something like 6 mil for 5 years…

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

I thought it was pretty well known Fyfe will be re-signing with Fre on a big long term deal...

markp
Saintsational Legend

So what number will we give him?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:So what number will we give him?
You give him 11 or 12 after Monty and Roo retire Premiership heroes at the end of this season :wink: :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!