Paddy Needs to Change the Way He Plays

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Paddy Needs to Change the Way He Plays

Xmas is approaching so time to get a little controversial.

I regard myself as a great admirer of Paddy McCartin. I think he has prodigious talent.

For example, I love the way he can break up a pack and take a big mark. Hell, what St Kilda supporter wouldn't.

But the sad fact is, it isn't good for his health.

Consequently, Paddy needs to change the way he plays his footy.

I know, in saying this, it will put me at odds with the club and the coach who jointly think he doesn't need to change anything. And in any case they don't want him to.

I completely disagree with this approach.

This young man has suffered three concussions. A concussion is a serious injury. It is not to be taken lightly. It can lead to serious health consequences even disability many years later.

Please don't take my word for it. Do a little digging on Dr Google.

Paddy needs to play with a helmet or some equivalent form of protection. He simply can't continue to suffer concussions.

As a responsible football club, St Kilda must consider his health and welfare and insist that he wears some form of protection in 2017.

Here endeth the rant.

avid
Club Player

Re: Paddy Needs to Change the Way He Plays

Yes, I've been picturing him in a Burkey style helmet.
You'd think that would be a reasonably acceptable precaution at this stage of his career.
He certainly is courageous, and we don't want to dampen that at all. A helmet night help him maintain his confidence levels.
He might learn to play a little less riskily, in which case the helmet could come off.
(I know nothing about this subject, of course.)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:Xmas is approaching so time to get a little controversial.

I regard myself as a great admirer of Paddy McCartin. I think he has prodigious talent.

For example, I love the way he can break up a pack and take a big mark. Hell, what St Kilda supporter wouldn't.

I know, in saying this, it will put me at odds with the club and the coach who jointly think he doesn't need to change anything. And in any case they don't want him to.

This young man has suffered three concussions. A concussion is a serious injury. It is not to be taken lightly. It can lead to serious health consequences even disability many years later.

Paddy needs to play with a helmet or some equivalent form of protection. He simply can't continue to suffer concussions.

As a responsible football club, St Kilda must consider his health and welfare and insist that he wears some form of protection in 2017.

Here endeth the rant.

My doctor warns me to never refer to dr google.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The thing is, if i recall correctly, the helmet's do very little to actually prevent concussion caused from head to ground impact. It's more stray elbow/collision in packs that they protect from.

Doesn't take a doctor to tell you that concussions are are bad and are best avoided

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Agree he needs some form of protection.

Ribbed, ultra-thin or featherlite though? So many choices for the young man.

Not sure he needs a helmet on his head, though. Just needs to get more back-to-back games behind him and he'll be OK.

Saint supporter since '62
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:Xmas is approaching so time to get a little controversial.

Here endeth the rant.
Factor in diabetics suffer a greater severity and longer duration of concussion. I'm sure the club is onto it. I think the helmet is the right option. At worst, it won't hurt, although would it encourage even more reckless courage from Paddy? He could be anything. Fingers crossed.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Obvious question but how was this not an issue before?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sounds pragmatic to me. Was a little surprised he hasn't donned any headgear earlier.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Something needs to change. His last bout of concussion was when he had two goals on the board in the opening minutes of the game, then he was concussed. Two goals is the most he has ever managed in a game. I thought he was in for a bag that day.

No shame on wearing a helmet. Plenty of champions have done so. The lad selected by Collingwood with the Cochlear implant will be wearing a helmet for his whole career I image. And good on him.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I love to see players with disabilities of some sort have a go. We should have been more supportive of Raph Clarke with his epilepsy, instead of bagging him constantly like some bloody minded posted on Saintsational. I was ashamed of the posters then, and I still am now.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Head gear does nothing. And so many concussions in the game these days come from impact to the jaw line, helmets don't cover that. As for head contact all they do it protect the skin as concussion results from the brain bouncing around in the skull, so unless you can get padding in there it's not gonna do much.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Something needs to change. His last bout of concussion was when he had two goals on the board in the opening minutes of the game, then he was concussed. Two goals is the most he has ever managed in a game. I thought he was in for a bag that day.

No shame on wearing a helmet. Plenty of champions have done so. The lad selected by Collingwood with the Cochlear implant will be wearing a helmet for his whole career I image. And good on him.
The Richmond game he broke his collarbone. Still went back and slotted the goal.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
damienc
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Something needs to change. His last bout of concussion was when he had two goals on the board in the opening minutes of the game, then he was concussed. Two goals is the most he has ever managed in a game. I thought he was in for a bag that day.

The Richmond game he broke his collarbone. Still went back and slotted the goal.
I don't think you will find a St Kilda supporter worth their salt questioning Paddy's courage, intent or ability. But the way he goes about his footy puts him at risk to suffer a lot of concussions. Hence my post.

What I am concerned about is his long term health. Being continuously concussed will have serious repercussions for his future health and well being.

It's an occupational health and safety issue and a pretty serious one in his case. The club, if not the league, owes him a duty of care. IMO.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Head gear does nothing. And so many concussions in the game these days come from impact to the jaw line, helmets don't cover that. As for head contact all they do it protect the skin as concussion results from the brain bouncing around in the skull, so unless you can get padding in there it's not gonna do much.
This issue seems to divide neurologists the way climate change divides scientists. There are plenty who support your stance, Griggsy, but there are others who claim that helmets, while not preventing concussion, can lessen the severity and duration of the effects. My concern has always the effect concussion has on diabetics. You see it in road trauma injuries. Diabetics face longer rehab and greater longer lasting effects. I just hope Paddy gets an injury free run. He also had a couple of concussions in his last year of U/18 footy, so that makes it 5 in three years. Not good.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I've discussed this subject several times with my Dr mate, who insists that a helmet definately reduces the risk of concussion. Think about it...would you like to be hit on the head wearing a helmet or not?

Reckon Paddy should get one of those specially designed head protectors....like the boxers wear in the gym...

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Head gear does nothing. And so many concussions in the game these days come from impact to the jaw line, helmets don't cover that. As for head contact all they do it protect the skin as concussion results from the brain bouncing around in the skull, so unless you can get padding in there it's not gonna do much.
This issue seems to divide neurologists the way climate change divides scientists. There are plenty who support your stance, Griggsy, but there are others who claim that helmets, while not preventing concussion, can lessen the severity and duration of the effects. My concern has always the effect concussion has on diabetics. You see it in road trauma injuries. Diabetics face longer rehab and greater longer lasting effects. I just hope Paddy gets an injury free run. He also had a couple of concussions in his last year of U/18 footy, so that makes it 5 in three years. Not good.
Yep, this seems right. I think the illusion that helmets stop concussion is well and truly over. But some diminishing is probable.

Nee!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Yep, this seems right. I think the illusion that helmets stop concussion is well and truly over. But some diminishing is probable.
Maybe some diminishing may workout okay in his case.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
thefatdork
Club Player

Just a couple of points:

The currently available helmets do not prevent concussion - this is well-researched. The AFL has actually published this information with links to the research - http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=883

Think about it - what possible benefit would the AFL have in not promoting helmets if they actually worked? If they did work, then they would be made mandatory (especially in junior footy). If they worked then it would allay fears of parents, etc. about the game and head knocks. They could also sell "AFL endorsed helmets" - think of the revenue/sponsorship/etc. opportunities!

The other comment relates to WWs line earlier "This issue seems to divide neurologists the way climate change divides scientists" - the vast majority of climate scientists have looked at the evidence and conclude it's real - so because a few fringe dwellers deny it, doesn't mean they should have an equal voice. There are people out there that who still believe tobacco doesn't cause any harm but we've learnt to ignore them as the evidence is overwhelming.

There is a need to look at ways of preventing concussion and perhaps better designed helmets will be developed but the ones currently available don't work in this respect.

I'm sure that Paddy's diabetes is being well looked after - the club want him to have a long and successful career (as do all Saint supporters).
Cheers,
TFD

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Padded McCartin. :(

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Wearing a glove all these years has in no way helped Travis Cloke's brain.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
shrodes
SS Life Member

millarsaint wrote:Wearing a glove all these years has in no way helped Travis Cloke's brain.
Should have worn it on his head then.