Picks 23 and 36

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scoop
Club Player

Re: Picks 23 and 36

the dome wrote:
I noticed today that Sheehan has rated Sam McLarty @ 23 -Tall, mobile defender who can take a good pack park !

his Rating for #22 is Andrew McGrath (have heard from some he wont last that long)
I think you'll find that his nominated top 40 are in alphabetical order.....not where he thinks they will go in the draft!!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wombat15 wrote:can someone explain the advantage to me of taking a med-tall forward? Rather us take a line breaker like Bolton, SPP, Gallucci etc.
Dogs have: Cordy, Boyd, Redpath, Cloke, Stringer Crameri, Dickson
We have: Bruce, Paddy, Membrey, Billings, (Roo)

So basically to add depth in an important position.
This is why we may grab Begley.
IMO dream (and realistic) draft for us.
23: CCox or SPP (quick half forwards/wing) or Battle (KPF)
36: Drew. (True Mid)
60: Begley (Beast Goal kicking Footballer - Membrey #2)

These 5 really skilled footballers with footy brains and all have elite attributes. Would be a steal.
My issue is I would like Macarthy too. No chance we could get him in rookie. He'll defo go in draft youd think. If begley gone then Id take macarthy @ 60, his upside is insanely huge.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

White Winmar wrote:McGrath won't last anywhere pick 23. If he does, I'd be astounded and we'd grab him in a heartbeat. Judd like. Top five, maybe even number one. Sheehan's been on the bongs. Still...........
I agree a top ten pick,
but is sheehans question mark about his size and a bit too much of a jack if all trades

Seeya
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Are we talking about the same McGrath? Widely tipped as 1 or 2. Or are we talking about his lesser known brother, Algenon McGrath?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am quite interested in Cedric Cox. Looks like a young Andrew McLeod.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016 ... ic-cox-jrz

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

So are we going with "best available" at this draft? The temptation now, seeing as we are halfway up the mountain, is to feel like we need to draft to fill holes eg. a speedy gonzles (is that racist?), another tall power forward in case Paddy keeps getting knocked out, an onballer with silky excellent disposal etc. But you can get too cute that way and bypass players who are not in our "deficiency zone" such as an in and under mid who could be the next joel selwood.

At this point I just think we just need to rate the best players in the comp, keep crossing them off and when it gets to our picks whoever at the top of the list we pick - AS LONG AS ITS NOT A RUCK! We probably still need backs, mids and forwards if we are honest. There isn't anywhere on the field where all spots are cemented.

Junior
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am quite interested in Cedric Cox. Looks like a young Andrew McLeod.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016 ... ic-cox-jrz
Have been re watching the All star under 18 game, and in the first quarter he hits one pass on his right and one pass on his left and the way he moved and was balanced certainly reminded me of McLeod.

Reckon you are spot on

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
White Winmar wrote:McGrath won't last anywhere pick 23. If he does, I'd be astounded and we'd grab him in a heartbeat. Judd like. Top five, maybe even number one. Sheehan's been on the bongs. Still...........
I agree a top ten pick,
but is sheehans question mark about his size and a bit too much of a jack if all trades
You can't have TOO many Jacks

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We should really have an Academy arrangement for any draftees named Jack.

Nee!
stonecold
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:Pick#61 could be allocated to a kid from Gippsland Power called Keenan Hughes, played defence all year, but at 193cm and a 20m time of under 3secs, as well as a large tank, has a massive upside for any club that is willing to take a gamble.

Played defence all year to be taught how to defend, but, is a natural forward who can go through the midfield, massive, massive upside once into a more professional/fulltime system.

Will be competing with 3 or 4 clubs that have shown a lot of interest, will be worth the punt if your looking long-term prospect.
This kid is worth a look as a Rookie at very least, considered athletically the best in the TAC Cup last season, think he may be gone by then, but if he's not, we should jump!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
yallingup saints
Club Player

Sam Powell Pepper locked in

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

yallingup saints wrote:Sam Powell Pepper locked in
Happy if to take him if he gets thru to us. I can see a bit of modern day Luke Hodge in him - just has that edge to his game that I love and would be a great addition to our midfield.

santazzi
Club Player

yallingup saints wrote:Sam Powell Pepper locked in
Locked in, with which one of our picks?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I've got my expectations pretty low. But the time they all slide with the academy s***, they will be reasonably speculative picks. And with the strength of our list, unless one of them is an out of the box freak - they may be playing VFL for a couple of years at least. So a couple of project players such as another tall forward to cover paddy or another tall back to cover Goddard may be a good idea.

Carlisle and Steele will be our exciting newbies this year. And dare I hope...Freeman (no keep expectations low, you can't get hurt that way)