Further list changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Further list changes

borderbarry wrote:Well if not Savage, who would go?
Well savage is required in the team unless we plan on playing Joey off halfback flank for the next 5 years.

To the top
SS Life Member

Savage is in direct competition with Gilbert, White, Roberton, Montagna, Newnes, Wright, Dempster, McKenzie, Geary, Webster and Rice.

All will be competing for positions as mid-sized, flank defenders in 2017 - plus we have 2 to Draft.

I would put a number of those named ahead of Savage noting that this is an area we have to improve in, recognised by the positioning of Montagna in 2016, hopefully by the likes of White and McKenzie consolidating as class AFL performers.

I would suggest that Fisher will be retained in some capacity because after Carlisle and Brown we have no back up KPP defender pending Goddard and Coghlan gaining the required experience and showing they are AFL ready.

Given the expected trajectory of this side in 2017, you would not be looking to compromise that trajectory including by being required to play Dempster, Gilbert and Roberton as KPP defenders.

Those under pressure to retain their positions in 2018 will also identify, if they are not identified already.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't recollect Eli in the rookie draft.

Shenton and Murdoch had ample opportunity to show their best so feel they got a fair crack, and hope they play on for Sandy. I'm not completely convinced Lee has but perhaps just time to move on.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

70s sainter wrote:
fugazi wrote:Can't remember a player cull where you could legitimately argue for all of the players to continue.
It wouldn't surprise me if any one of those 4 could have been 100 game players.
Saying that, I think they were the right ones to make space for others coming through.
Just goes to show that we should have upgraded 23 and 36 for gws 15 .we don't need any more fringe players. Could very well pick the same player that we've just delisted
That was going to happen until Deledio decided to go to GWS and hence, GWS had to use pick 15 on him

Go you red, black & white warriors
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Ideally Savage will be replaced down the track, but at this stage with our likely backline that includes most of: Geary, Brown, Dempster, Carlisle, Roberton, Webster… it is terribly stodgy and requires a lot of attack and skill form the remaining 1 or 2 defenders picked.

Whilst Savage doesn't defend extremely well, his rebound is pretty important for now.

Wright can't play half back because he is an awful kick…

Confucius say: White Rice need more time in wok while Dempster & Gilbert nirry done.

longtimesaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:Ideally Savage will be replaced down the track, but at this stage with our likely backline that includes most of: Geary, Brown, Dempster, Carlisle, Roberton, Webster… it is terribly stodgy and requires a lot of attack and skill form the remaining 1 or 2 defenders picked.

Whilst Savage doesn't defend extremely well, his rebound is pretty important for now.

Wright can't play half back because he is an awful kick…

Confucius say: White Rice need more time in wok while Dempster & Gilbert nirry done.
One of our strengths this year was run from the back line so we won't want to become stodgy.
I think Brown will only be used on the occasions that the opposing team has a gorilla like Hawkins or Walker.
The dogs won a premiership with a smaller and fast running back line.
The great thing for next year is we have great depth and should be able to cover for injuries with a similar quality player able to come in.

One year will be our year
Playon
Club Player

Disappointing.. But they all have stories they can tell their grand kids.
There are no mugs that play at afl level .

Wish them all the best

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if the spud price dips this time every year, especially this year, they have flooded the market.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Eli has been so hard done by. He is a smaller player so needed to build his body which he has done and now is too good for VFL. We should redraft him over Fish with our third pick IMO. Chips has been great for the club but has no future and his body breaks down too often. Carlisle will be a great for us and Brown will fill a spot for two years while the younger guys (Goodard) learn their craft so Fisher will not be required as much if at all.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:Eli has been so hard done by. He is a smaller player so needed to build his body which he has done and now is too good for VFL. We should redraft him over Fish with our third pick IMO. Chips has been great for the club but has no future and his body breaks down too often. Carlisle will be a great for us and Brown will fill a spot for two years while the younger guys (Goodard) learn their craft so Fisher will not be required as much if at all.
Welcome to the forum DJ......great to see a number of new and recent members starting to post regularly.... :) :)

avid
Club Player

Yes a very very sad time
I really thought Lee would make it somehow.
And I can't believe Eli has gone.
Same for Shents.
I will always remember Murdoch's acute angle goal at the 'G

These delistings do show just how strong the rest of our list is becoming.
Good luck you guys. Thanks for being Saints.

saint-stu
Club Player

Lee never quite looked up to AFL standard but a great VFL player. Shenton could fill a gap at AFL level but I can understand this one given he's been on the list a long time. Bull never quite broke in to the side. Eli certainly seems the most unfair. He showed a bit of X factor in his debut season and appeared to be affected by the broken arm. Has been one of the best all year at Sandy and is still young.

1ac46a38
saintbob
SS Life Member

saint-stu wrote:Lee never quite looked up to AFL standard but a great VFL player. Shenton could fill a gap at AFL level but I can understand this one given he's been on the list a long time. Bull never quite broke in to the side. Eli certainly seems the most unfair. He showed a bit of X factor in his debut season and appeared to be affected by the broken arm. Has been one of the best all year at Sandy and is still young.
WOW

DudLee was nothing more than a GOP, how you can describe him as a "great VFL player" is laughable.
Last edited by saintbob on Sat 29 Oct 2016 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:Yes a very very sad time
I really thought Lee would make it somehow.
And I can't believe Eli has gone.
Same for Shents.
I will always remember Murdoch's acute angle goal at the 'G

These delistings do show just how strong the rest of our list is becoming.
Good luck you guys. Thanks for being Saints.
Spot on, avid. As sad as it is, this shows that the depth of our list has improved dramatically. When you have to delist a young man who finishes sixth in the Liston and another who wins your VFL B&F, you know your list development is on track. Murdoch and Lee also showed enough to suggest they are capable of making it. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least two of them turn up on other lists by the end of the draft and rookie draft period.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ace
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:Eli has been so hard done by. He is a smaller player so needed to build his body which he has done and now is too good for VFL. We should redraft him over Fish with our third pick IMO. Chips has been great for the club but has no future and his body breaks down too often. Carlisle will be a great for us and Brown will fill a spot for two years while the younger guys (Goodard) learn their craft so Fisher will not be required as much if at all.
The case for picking up Fisher in the rookie draft is that we have no intentions of playing him except if we have a key defender go long term injured. In those circumstances Fisher could be upgraded and play.
There is no way he will be put back on the senior list by using pick 61 on him.
That pick will be used on a roughy who has considerable potential but who probably won't make it.
A bit like Fisher himself, taken from the SANFL at pick 55 back in 2003.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Delaney
Curren
Shenton
Murdoch
Lee
Templeton
Fisher (probably)
Saunders
Payne
That's 9 out of 45 with only Fisher going because of age.

What other business turns over 20% of its staff every year ?

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Gershwin
Club Player

ace wrote:
The case for picking up Fisher in the rookie draft is that we have no intentions of playing him except if we have a key defender go long term injured. In those circumstances Fisher could be upgraded and play.
There is no way he will be put back on the senior list by using pick 61 on him.
That pick will be used on a roughy who has considerable potential but who probably won't make it.
A bit like Fisher himself, taken from the SANFL at pick 55 back in 2003.
Won't Goddard go straight on to the Long Term injury list and rookie Fisher can play seniors. Then when Goddard playing, Fisher back to rookie and probably retires end of season.

summertime and the living is easy ........
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Replacements
Jack Steele
Nathan Brown
Koby Stevens
Pick 23
Pick 36
Pick 61
Rookie pick 10
Ray Connellan (22 year old rookie A)*
Darragh Joyce (19 year old international rookie B)

Not to forget players who were unavailable last year
Jake Carlisle
Nathan Freeman

*Only one Irish is allowed as an international rookie B so our other Irish has to be one of our 4 rookies A .

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Is Nathan Brown similar to Tom Lee in some ways?
Some filth fans were keen on him staying, others said he was one-dimensional and showed some promise, but never really delivered.
He seems to be their version of Lee.
He's 3 years older than Lee.
Tom had 2 shoulder recos, and then ankle surgery, and struggled a bit.
Not sure if Brown will make it.
Brown played well on Rooey in 2010, but only after Maxy taught him all the tricks. 6 years ago is a long time.
Is this another Capuano moment?
No, I aint citywest, just wondering if the club is correct

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Feel for Eli.

Thought he was a required player.

Probably was until we snagged both Steele and Stevens.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Eli is the really interesting one here. Went straight into the team off the rookie list, showed some flair and energy in his first six games or so before the arm break. Then I think he was added to the main list and then just 2 years later despite playing really well in the VFL he's delisted? Seems odd to me. I would have thought he was worth continuing with. Like a lot of rookies he lacks a weapon but I saw him in that Daisy Thomas run-all-day linking up play mode if he could get his endurance up. I wonder if his bad arm break has caused ongoing complications that worried the club.

But like Lee, Richo just didn't want to play him in the seniors despite last year being a great chance to really try players out. One thing Richo isn't is an experimenter. From his trusty onball fab four, to his comfy old boot defence, Richo doesn't like to take too many chances. Hope that doesn't bite him in the ass. This was the time to be trying to find diamonds in the rough.

Eli had some flair about him. But didn't have the big body to put pressure and tackling on that Richo loves. Instead we get Koby Stevens who has already failed at two clubs due to his decision making and Wright and Minch stay on the list because they can pressure. I just hope we are not building a team full of pressure-bots. That could bite us in the ass. In the big games where there is no time or space, you need class and x-factor to break open play.

longtimesaint
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Is Nathan Brown similar to Tom Lee in some ways?
Some filth fans were keen on him staying, others said he was one-dimensional and showed some promise, but never really delivered.
Brown played well on Rooey in 2010, but only after Maxy taught him all the tricks. 6 years ago is a long time.
I think Brown is there when we need a tall strong defender for the gorillas.
I don't think he will play every game as some of the teams aren't that big in the forwards (e.g. Bulldogs)
Those other games we will have an extra running defender.

One year will be our year
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Eli is the really interesting one here. Went straight into the team off the rookie list, showed some flair and energy in his first six games or so before the arm break. Then I think he was added to the main list and then just 2 years later despite playing really well in the VFL he's delisted? Seems odd to me. I would have thought he was worth continuing with. Like a lot of rookies he lacks a weapon but I saw him in that Daisy Thomas run-all-day linking up play mode if he could get his endurance up. I wonder if his bad arm break has caused ongoing complications that worried the club.

But like Lee, Richo just didn't want to play him in the seniors despite last year being a great chance to really try players out. One thing Richo isn't is an experimenter. From his trusty onball fab four, to his comfy old boot defence, Richo doesn't like to take too many chances. Hope that doesn't bite him in the ass. This was the time to be trying to find diamonds in the rough.

Eli had some flair about him. But didn't have the big body to put pressure and tackling on that Richo loves. Instead we get Koby Stevens who has already failed at two clubs due to his decision making and Wright and Minch stay on the list because they can pressure. I just hope we are not building a team full of pressure-bots. That could bite us in the ass. In the big games where there is no time or space, you need class and x-factor to break open play.
Let's not get carried away just because they had similar hair styles...

Thomas was a star at AFL level from day 1, whereas Eli can barely get a touch at the highest level, doesn't kick goals and is behind 5 other small forwards on our list, two of which can't get a game themselves... A lot of super VFL players aren't good enough for AFL.

I hope he gets another chance somewhere, but I don't think we'll ever be be rueful for letting him go.
Last edited by dragit on Sat 29 Oct 2016 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
I think Brown is there when we need a tall strong defender for the gorillas.
I don't think he will play every game as some of the teams aren't that big in the forwards (e.g. Bulldogs)
Those other games we will have an extra running defender.
Brown is the guy who we hoped Delaney would be.

ace
Saintsational Legend

If we have upset any Collingwood fans by taking Nathan Brown that has to be good in itself.