Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hawks need to send 10 plus a decent player (Shiels or Hartung) to GC and just get on with it. Stop flogging everyone around.

As for the Saints - Well if Bains shuts up shop and goes on holiday tomorrow Ill be very satisfied going in to the 2017 draft with two first rounders and going in to this year's draft with pick 23 and 36.

That should get us 2 or 3 young good players from those 4 picks.
You would expect a 50% hit rate at least.
So with Steele and maybe Freeman plus another 2-3 young guns - well that is 5 new players + Carlisle = 6.
Not bad going considering what we already have on our books.
Before he goes he might just pass on pick 50 or whatever for Stevens

Nee!
Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hawks need to send 10 plus a decent player (Shiels or Hartung) to GC and just get on with it. Stop flogging everyone around.

As for the Saints - Well if Bains shuts up shop and goes on holiday tomorrow Ill be very satisfied going in to the 2017 draft with two first rounders and going in to this year's draft with pick 23 and 36.

So with Steele and maybe Freeman plus another 2-3 young guns - well that is 5 new players + Carlisle = 6.
I dont think were finished yet, this years draft runs deeper than next years. A lot of next years cream will go in academy picks.
So its our best interest to get back into this years first round, unless of course we have plans to trade those picks for a gun.

Next year apparently a lot of kpp's not sure that will suit us.

But yep you're right been a very good year for us and happy to go to the bank now

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:

I dont think were finished yet, this years draft runs deeper than next years. A lot of next years cream will go in academy picks.
So its our best interest to get back into this years first round, unless of course we have plans to trade those picks for a gun.

Next year apparently a lot of kpp's not sure that will suit us.

But yep you're right been a very good year for us and happy to go to the bank now
Realistically we could have 2 picks in the top 10-12 next year, that is two very good players. Possibly we could package them for a top 3 pick? and get an absolute gun.

Nee!
jays
Club Player

we are up to something imo ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Gershwin
Club Player

Brett Anderson (twitter):
"If No.13 gets to GWS via CARL in Gibbs/Marchbank deals, don't rule out STK shipping 23 & 36 for 13. Would be cunning dealing by Saints."

summertime and the living is easy ........
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Ameet & the boys are taking the rest of the week off & hitting the piss. Job done

Saintly Passion
Club Player

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
The_President wrote:Our late pick to the Pies
Stevens to us
Cloke to the Dogs

Seems like a good deal for all.
Done, pending or 'on the cards'?

I ask because I just did a little of my extreeeeemely sophisticated guggling, and couldn't find a mention beyond a stab at Stevens for a late pick to the Dogs.

Although, I did read something about the Dopers looking to upend the Dorks on O'Meara, with a "mega pick deal".

When you understand a little about the consequences of losing bits of patella tendon given, among other things, the patella links the quad to the lower leg, and then you hear the Dopers might be about to blue with the Dorks to get O'Meara, it's very difficult not to smile, at the very least.
I do like your way with words ToT. Losing bits of patella tendon indeed. Of some consequence I reckon when it comes to playing footy, that bit about the connection between the quad and the lower leg. So glad we're not going there......
Yeah, pretty vital, that link, St.B. Consider it in the context of the power in the quadriceps. There are documented cases of quads breaking femurs, when hypertensed. For instance, in anticipated car accidents. Yes, there have been people who have tensed up so much anticipating a car crash that their quads have actually snapped their femurs, yet the car crash has ultimately been avoided. Biggest bone in the hooman body? The femur. Pretty strong muscle, the quadriceps, eh?

And, O'Meara has 'lost' patella tendon, in 'bits, and capability. It has a big job, the patella, doing what it is designed to do (the key is the power vested in the quad), and like all tendons and ligaments, hurt 'em and they shrink, become brittle, wear more easily, get more inflamed, more constantly.

And, the connection is to the tibia (which means a compromised patella can have knock on effects to the lower leg).

Yeah, nah, no thanks on O'Meara. But, I do understand why he is recommended to make hay while he can still move about.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Rosco
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:Brett Anderson (twitter):
"If No.13 gets to GWS via CARL in Gibbs/Marchbank deals, don't rule out STK shipping 23 & 36 for 13. Would be cunning dealing by Saints."
Which would mean in effect we get 13 + Hawks 2017 1st for 10 + 68. The Hawks really stunk it up with that trade.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Finally the Bulldogs do the deal for Hamling to Fremantle.
Dogs get pick 35(522pts) + 43(378pts) + 61(135pts)
Fremantle get Hamling + pick 40(429pts) + 63(112pts)
Values Hamling at 494points = pick 36/37
Why they didn't just do the deal for pick 35 is beyond me.

Now can the dogs settle down and do the Koby Stevens deal.

We have 23(815pts), 36(502pts), 50(273pts)
Dogs have 18(985pts), 35(522pts), 43(378pts), 61(135pts)

I have argued before that pick 50(273pts) is around the mark.
If they want to get their hands on pick 36 I would make them swap pick 18 for 23.
A deal that costs us 332pts = pick 46 but moves us up 5 spots into the end of round 1.
I readily fess up to having had the odd beverage this eve (Tuesdee Sippers lives, dontcha know) but, truly, you and your super computer are hurting my head, ace.

I think it might be the brackets - spreadsheet any chance?

Love your work, though.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Do 23 and 36 really add up to more points than 13? Otherwise why would GWS do it? Sounds like a great deal for the Saints

Rosco
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:Do 23 and 36 really add up to more points than 13? Otherwise why would GWS do it? Sounds like a great deal for the Saints
Yes, 1317 (815 + 502) which is more than 1212. Points table: http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20 ... -value.pdf

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

We are, as they say, and wisely so, "keeping our options open".

Utterly mad if we didn't, with 2 days to go.

As the old cricket coach used to say "things are (still) developing".

Linton Street Saint
Club Player

Saintly Passion wrote:Robbo in our corner:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 4007a390b2
Anyone able to copy / paste this by chance

Cheers.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Rosco"][quote="Goose is king"]Do 23 and 36 really add up to more points than 13? Otherwise why would GWS do it? Sounds like a great deal for the Saints[/quote]

Yes, 1317 (815 + 502) which is more than 1212. Points table: http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20 ... -value.pdf[/quote]

Wow. I knew our deal with hawthorn was good I didn't realise how good.
Pick 13 could net us the player we would have grabbed at 10 anyway.
23 and 36 is still fine by me but I think 13 would be best.

Saintly Passion
Club Player

Linton Street Saint wrote:

Cheers.
Smart trading has put St Kilda in a strong position to attack the 2017 season with confidence

MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
20 minutes ago
Subscriber only

WITH a day and a half to play, St Kilda will emerge from the trade period with a blindingly good report card.

The Saints are well pleased, but are not banging their chest Silverback style.

“We are definitely happy with how things are going,” chief operating officer Ameet Bains said.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

It's taken a while for the media to jump on board with how well the saints did out of the hawthorn deal. Fair enough though the story is more about what hawthorn is up to. Next years draft picks don't sell papers

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Cheers.
Guys, I understand the desire to read the article. Me too. Unfortunately though we are in breach of copyright by copy pasting the full article into the forum.
It's in the forum rules stickied at the top of the main forum :

"Due to copyright laws, when posting articles from any other website, please only post the URL (the link to the original article) - and no more a selected small portion no longer than one paragraph."

If the article is behind a paywall, like this one is, just put the article heading into google......i.e.."saints make all the right moves"......and a link to the article will come up through google and you can read it in full.

Saintly Passion, have had to cut down the article you posted in full so it complies with copyright laws.

Rosco
Club Player

Just google the headline in an incognito tab in google chrome, other browsers might have something similar, you'll get in.

Saintly Passion
Club Player

st.byron wrote:

Cheers.
Guys, I understand the desire to read the article. Me too. Unfortunately though we are in breach of copyright by copy pasting the full article into the forum.

"Due to copyright laws, when posting articles from any other website, please only post the URL (the link to the original article) - and no more a selected small portion no longer than one paragraph."

If the article is behind a paywall, like this one is, just put the article heading into google......i.e.."saints make all the right moves"......and a link to the article will come up through google and you can read it in full.

Saintly Passion, have had to cut down the article you posted in full so it complies with copyright laws.
All good apologies st b

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saintly Passion wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Cheers.

All good apologies st b
All good. Unlikely there'd be any blowback for the forum, but that rule plays it safe for us.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

But don't we have to use 3 picks in the national draft? If we give 23 & 36 for 13 and if the dogs accept pick 50 for Stevens then we only have the on pick at 13 to use in the draft.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Hey Jaxons,
Wednesday tomorrow, any late prediction before the trade period finishes?

Nee!
Gershwin
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
But don't we have to use 3 picks in the national draft? If we give 23 & 36 for 13 and if the dogs accept pick 50 for Stevens then we only have the on pick at 13 to use in the draft.
We will still have 86 and 104

summertime and the living is easy ........
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
If we get pick 13 and then give up 50 for Stevens, then we still have 86 and 104 up our sleeve?
Maybe that is the hold up on Stevens. We are either offering them 86 or offering them 50 but asking for 61 back.
That means we can use 13, 61 and 86 in the draft.

Still leaves us with two first rounders next year as well.