GWS vs DOGS.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Re: GWS vs DOGS.

It's a case of the old family pet (Swans) that's been shoved aside for the puppy (Giants) that has come into the home (AFL). If the Giants win the flag you won't even see, let alone put up with, a single Giants supporter gloating over summer ... unless you know a member of the AFL executive.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
#gosaintas
Club Player

Can't understand anyone wanting the dogs to win. Go GWS. Win the whole thing.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why would I have any empathy for Footscray fans?!

The hate us, they barracked against us in 97, 09, 10 out of jealousy

They noo our club captain and champion ridiculously and blame him for losing Prelims..

Bunch of flogs with inferiority complexes

They won't win ... Because the are not winners

barneyboyz
Club Player

ctqs wrote:It's a case of the old family pet (Swans) that's been shoved aside for the puppy (Giants) that has come into the home (AFL). If the Giants win the flag you won't even see, let alone put up with, a single Giants supporter gloating over summer ... unless you know a member of the AFL executive.
Interesting thinking. and the whole of Australia will know how hollow it is (other than anyone in the tent)

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote:
ctqs wrote:It's a case of the old family pet (Swans) that's been shoved aside for the puppy (Giants) that has come into the home (AFL). If the Giants win the flag you won't even see, let alone put up with, a single Giants supporter gloating over summer ... unless you know a member of the AFL executive.
Interesting thinking. and the whole of Australia will know how hollow it is (other than anyone in the tent)
Oh well, in a decade and 3 premierships time they will be just like the Brisbane Lions. Back to reality.

George27
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
Griggsy wrote:
Crikey. Don't understand how people can't empathise with the Dogs' supporters.

Long time VFL / AFL club, long time battlers, threatened with extinction/mergers more than once, success starved, no entitlement attitude.
Just watching their fans joy at their win last week was moving.
Hope they can do it for their fans and for a club with a long history to taste some success.
The two Sydney clubs are AFL marketing implants and Geelong have had their share - at our expense - and probably with chemical assistance.
I'm with you, St Byron. They deserve it much more than the others. Go Doggies.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:
Oh well, in a decade and 3 premierships time they will be just like the Brisbane Lions. Back to reality.
What CQ Saint said.

And this is the point I was trying to make before - Brisbane haven't even finished last in the past decade and the AFL have flagged a priority draft pick. Where is the equality and due process in that? Twelve years ago they played in 4 grand finals, won 3 of them, and now there is talk of giving them another early pick when they haven't even been the worst performed team in any season in the past decade.

We haven't played finals for 5 years, haven't won a flag in 50 - our backyard is the Mornington Peninsula and South Gippsland. How about continuing to grow the game there by giving us a little of what the expansion clubs have received.

And Go Doggies. I'll be barracking hard for them tomorrow.

But barracking hard against them when we play them next year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
the dome
Club Player

I Hope the under-DOGS do it.

With the big day of the preliminary final now just a few hours away I couldn't help thinking back to 2010/ Sep 5.
and to the last time I witnessed St.Kilda in a finals game.
My memory of that night @ the MCG lives on in epic proportions.
It must be massively exciting for Bulldogs fans sensing the very real prospect of reaching a grand final tomorrow.

The link below (Footy almanac) described the night very well indeed. Hayes, Reiwoldt & Dal Santo named as our three best.
But it was the drama right @ the end that has seared a very strong memory of the closing minute or so which has bubbled up again now that it is finals time 2016.
'At a minute to midnight' in the 4th. Quarter when Mooney cannoned James Gwilt into the ground and the loose ball was picked up & goaled by Ling I realised I had my head in my hands not wanting to add any more visual pain to what I was hearing from the ecstatic Geelong fans around me. St.Kilda had just lost the 2nd. Qualifying Final I thought to the team we lost the grand final to last year etc. etc.
"Well that's it" or something similar to those words was spoken by one of our Saintly group and we collectively grimaced at this new burden to be shouldered by us all.
But then another saintly voice spoke up ... " the goal-umpire hasn't raised the flag to signal a goal". Yea so what, I thought not bothering to look over at all the commotion. Then the same voice again with a more insistent tone ... "The goal-umpire hasn't called a goal"!
For a small eternity of micro-seconds and a slow but desperately hopeful lifting of the head to also stare along with the rest of the big crowd at the antics of the field umpire and then the experiencing of the moment of grace, the field umpire demands the ball then looking up-field signals a free-kick to St. Kilda ! The Ling goal is disallowed due to Mooney's illegal & reckless tackle on James Gwilt.

Now it was the turn of St.Kilda fans to erupt with a deafening roar & it was time to believe again.
St.Kilda held the Cats @ bay, the final siren sounded & St. Kilda went on to face the Bulldogs in a Preliminary final
on Saturday Night September 18. 2010
Riewoldt got the sealer in the pre-lim & put us in a grand final. :shock:

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/2010-2nd ... -st-kilda/

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

i don't/won't barrack for another team. I have a team I hope loses more...

But there'll be no... 'Go Doggies' coming out of my mouth!!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why would I have any empathy for Footscray fans?!

They noo our club captain and champion ridiculously and blame him for losing Prelims..

They barracked against us did they? :roll:

What? Did they put out a press release that I missed? Because they have some flog supporters that are/were jealous of us, that means we have to be the same? THere will always be certain elements that are bitter. This very thread proves that.

Your reasons for not barracking for them are the same pathetic reasons ppl ridicule The 'AINTS' - Cos supposedly we're a bunch of losers. You are quietly reinforcing the arrogant attitudes of the carltons and Essendons of the world (who have been sooooo succesfull in the last 15 years.....)

The fact that they have a history of losing should be all the more reason that supporters like us are right behind them - if anyone knows how nthey feel it would be us. Jealousy is the ugliest human quality I reckon.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Our record is no better than theirs.
So we're both losers by that measure.
There are bitter and twisted fans of every team, except maybe the new franchise clubs.

For people who have been long time, loyal supporters of a club like the Dogs, if it's not at our expense, then I wish them the happiness and enjoyment they've been waiting a lifetime for.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

They barracked against us did they? :roll:

What? Did they put out a press release that I missed? Because they have some flog supporters that are/were jealous of us, that means we have to be the same? THere will always be certain elements that are bitter. This very thread proves that.

Your reasons for not barracking for them are the same pathetic reasons ppl ridicule The 'AINTS' - Cos supposedly we're a bunch of losers. You are quietly reinforcing the arrogant attitudes of the carltons and Essendons of the world (who have been sooooo succesfull in the last 15 years.....)

The fact that they have a history of losing should be all the more reason that supporters like us are right behind them - if anyone knows how nthey feel it would be us. Jealousy is the ugliest human quality I reckon.
love your passion Moods........ totally agree with your sentiments.

I'm an 'old romantic', so it has to be Bulldogs for me, I sincerely hope they can go all the way, no way could I envy the joy such long suffering Doggy supporters would experience if they can win the last dance next week. Fingers crossed they can win tonight to get to the Final.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

go doggies

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

go doggies

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

GO GIANTS!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Playon
Club Player

I'm with you on this one BM, they hate the Saints with a passion. it'd be good if they keep losing and when were ready we knock them out of the finals again.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Moods you can sympathise all you want... That's up to you
I'll worry about my team -

I couldn't care less about dogs supporters

They hate us with a passion - I return the favour!

I hope they don't even make the GF - I hope the monster is I said that will created eventuates, and the AFL and the clubs get embarrassed for decisions made

GWS could be a ten year dynasty of the like we have never seen
Put it this way
They have more first round selections in the NEAFL and at Carlton than we actually have
They can keep trading them in, year after year for more picks
Teams will trade for them because they were first rounders... But GWS will know exactly what they want to keep and what they want in return... They are even bigger and better than most think...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you Marto. I hope we get an all-Sydney Grand Final to highlight the monumental fraud that is the AFL and I feel confident that this will eventuate.

The Bulldogs are spirited and brave and they play for Beveridge, but I feel that will not be enough to stop the GWS monster.

the dome
Club Player

Only a couple of games left in 2016 so DOGGIES Yea!

Seconded Moods! I Good point below.
"What? Did they put out a press release that I missed? Because they have some flog supporters that are/were jealous of us, that means we have to be the same? THere will always be certain elements that are bitter. This very thread proves that".

If the dogs go all the way then they'll be 2 prems and us still one.
However personally I'm not feeling threatened by this doubling us scenario.
4 thwarted attempts since 1997(4 G.Fs.) reminds me that of recent times we are tending to head in the right direction.
The bulldogs getting this far is more an inspiration for St. Kilda than anything else. A co-tenant being ripped off @ The Dome for more than a few years now reminds myself anyway that we can get to the pre-lims & grand finals in the coming years.
If AR and his willing charges can take some inspiration from Bevo & his dogs I'll be glad. I remember GT proclaiming we wanted to emulate Geelong and then pass them. I agreed with his angle on our club development then. the meows beat us in a grannie but we beat them 12 monthes later in a qualifying final which propelled us past the Doggies in the 2010 Prelim only to experience being thwarted twice again in 2 G.F. attempts.

Go Dogs - after all post footy the team sports interest level really slides of the chart for many of us.

and... of coarse...... G O S A I N T S !! :D

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Sod the dogs

I hope the dogs get smashed, and Nick Columb gets on SEN again to talk about his stains. Just for lulz.

I'm not sure why anyone would be jealous of the dogs. Their history makes ours look palatable. And if you are talking about this years performance I would argue that the Giants and Swans have far more to be jealous of.

I'm not sure why anyone would get all rollyeyes cranky because other posters are cheering on another team. It's only entertainment (at least when your own club isn't involved).

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Wouldn't begrudge the Bulldogs some success, at least if they win tonight I will actually have some interest in the Grand Final. If GWS wins, couldn't be less interested in watching the AFL sponsored Salary Cap cheats versus the AFL love child side with a crowd that I reckon won't even hit 60,000.
Won't watch it next week if it's between the two Sydney sides, no interest and disillusioned.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
supersaints
Club Player

Hoping for a dogs win... GWS will win soon enough. Sydney were a bit wounded last night but the most clinical I have seen them

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Anyone who really loves the heart and soul of a football club and football in general cannot surely barrack for GWS there are no hard yards there no special sad stories just money,wealth and the AFL"S vision of their love child ,let's hope the Doggies get up for footballs sake!

PADDLEPOP1000
Playon
Club Player

Well I hope they both lose, AFL's love child to fail and fail again and stuff the doggies.
One out this week and one out next.

Rather South Melbourne win it, lucky for us we had $10 more in the bank than South and Fitzroy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Well I hope they both lose, AFL's love child to fail and fail again and stuff the doggies.
One out this week and one out next.

Rather South Melbourne win it, lucky for us we had $10 more in the bank than South and Fitzroy
I'm not impressed with either the Bont or Daniels in the first half.

Hopefully both will extract the digit after half time.