Is Jaeger Worth the Trouble?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Is Jaeger Worth the Trouble?

Johnny Member wrote:
skeptic wrote:You don't sell the farm for speculation. He ain't Ablett Jnr in his prime
Tim Watson said that he could well become the best midfielder EVER. Such was his impact in his first year.

The issue isn't whether he's any good or not. Make no mistake, he is a legitimate superstar.

The issue is whether he'll ever fully recover from injuries, and what we have to wager on that happening.
That's why poor Tommy had such a great coaching career!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
The Recruit
Club Player

Cant have Jaeger and Freeman on the list at the same time.
He will go to Carlton or Richmond.....even collingwood might try to get him

Lock in Jack Steel at the Saints

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: Tim Watson said that he could well become the best midfielder EVER. Such was his impact in his first year.

The issue isn't whether he's any good or not. Make no mistake, he is a legitimate superstar.

The issue is whether he'll ever fully recover from injuries, and what we have to wager on that happening.

The guy that said Begley would be our future Captain?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
skeptic wrote:You don't sell the farm for speculation. He ain't Ablett Jnr in his prime
Tim Watson said that he could well become the best midfielder EVER. Such was his impact in his first year.

beat me to it SC

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:Cant have Jaeger and Freeman on the list at the same time.
He will go to Carlton or Richmond.....even collingwood might try to get him

Lock in Jack Steel at the Saints
Geeze JOM would have to only be interested in the cash if he went to either the Blues or the Tigers.

Blues are yet to bottom out. They will get even worse before they get better. They have a huge quantitiy of dead would on their list. Murphy and Thomas will both be gone before Blues play finals again.

Tigers: Are simply imploding at present. They have more talent than the Blues of the right age, buta lot of holes

Strategically the Blues at present do not need to gain one marquee player but rather several good players. But they may try and repeat the Judd mistake all over again.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it:

- While the Saints have rebuilt well, we lack enough elite players to be Top 4 let alone a genuine premiership threat. (Basically it is just Steven and Roo, and Roo is not getting any younger!)
- While someone may emerge (ie Gresham, Acrs or Paddy) from those we have to become another elite player or two, it is not enough
- We have enough talent now that just adding some "good" players is not going to make much difference
- Would the Hawks have had their era of dominance without the strategic pick ups like Burgoyne? Would the Cats have a sniff this year without Dangerfied? Would the Pies have won a flag without Jolly? The Cats without Ottens?
- This is why the academy system is such an unfair advantage to the Swans as it allows them access to young future elite players

To improve over the next several seasons:

- Yes we need to keep bring in a range of new talent by various means, including the Irish Guys
- BUT we either need to have some amazing draft selections (no 2nd pick this year already) OR we need to import some players who are elite
- I am not saying that this is necessarily JOM, but it needs to players (again looking at the next 2/3 years) better than say Steele (not that he will not bea good pick-up).
- The club needs to be bold and it needs to nail the right players = Easier said than done of course. I mean in our entire history how many elite players have we snagged from other clubs who were not past it and who still had their best to come? Bugga all. Hamill, Penny (knee cruelled it) and Gehrig who actually became a better player with us than he ever was at the Eagles. Our 66 flag was largely built of grabbing a group of exceptional players from Tassie. 97 flag tilt cam in part from being willing to trade Lockett.

I very much doubt that just aquiring players via the draft alone will get it done. Givien the state of our list now I also doubt that aquiring more value pick ups like Hickey, Bruce, Weller, Roberton and Membrey will get it done as we will just start swapping like with like.

We have built the platform. We now need a bit more elite cream to go all the way.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
To the top
SS Life Member

A resounding win tomorrow is not negotiable.

Simply, St Kilda needs to re-inforce this season's performance and confirm that they are on the rise with finals football a marketing tool to these players from other Clubs coming into focus for wanting to change Clubs and to a Melbourne based Club.

If the major consideration in nominating a Club is to play final's football on a consistent basis then, currently, I would put St Kilda ahead of all Clubs who are not going to partake in final's football in 2016 - and also in front of a couple who will be participating in the 2016 Major Round.

We have beaten the home deck bullies, Geelong, the Western Bulldogs and should have beaten both Hawthorn and North Melbourne.

Then there are the sides we have beaten.

So would you nominate a Richmond, a Carlton, a Collingwood or a Melbourne?

You would be looking at St Kilda, adding the impact of a McCartin, a Carlisle, a Freeman and a Goddard and saying "that is where I want to be".

And if the player wants to get to THEIR destination Club, history says they get there.

We need St Kilda as a destination Club.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Love to get an elite player like O'Meara on board, but please let's not mortgage the farm to do it.

No to any deal that means losing one of our emerging players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What is stopping the cheats from just taking JOM in the PSD?
They can use pick 1 in the draft and still get JOM as well.
They could get McCluggage and JOM to add to Parish, Z Merrett, Francis and Laverde.
This would make them serious contenders given they already have Hurley, Hooker & Heppell.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Freeman?

He is not much closer to a senior game than me... He needs a big pre season
He needs to string 9 VFL games together and perform

Then he is a consideration

Which he may well do... But at this point he is no better than Luke Verma

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Roo....19 marks....8 goals.....wow

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing that there's so little pressure on them. They're scoring too easily.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:What is stopping the cheats from just taking JOM in the PSD?
They can use pick 1 in the draft and still get JOM as well.
They could get McCluggage and JOM to add to Parish, Z Merrett, Francis and Laverde.
This would make them serious contenders given they already have Hurley, Hooker & Heppell.
Serious when?
The guys coming from suspensions might have crap years.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

tackles about even.
Inside 50: 70 times for 36 effective scoring shots, so roughly one score for every 2 entries.

Maybe not much pressure from us because our guys knew we were so far ahead, we'd get the next goal quickly.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

st.byron wrote:Disappointing that there's so little pressure on them. They're scoring too easily.
oops, this is in the incorrect thread

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

O'Meara will struggle to get anywhere close to his best again

His knee will always give him problems - no amount of rehabbing will change that - wait till that patella gets rammed into the ground again - its a shocking injury to have for an AFL footballer
Last edited by Devilhead on Sun 28 Aug 2016 11:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Clayton Davis
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Tim Watson said that he could well become the best midfielder EVER. Such was his impact in his first year.

Sheeeiiittt, Steve!!! :shock:

Four (plus a draaw, comin' from larst), not goud enough fo ya??? Youall sure sets da barr mighty high der partner! Mighty high!

Warning: Press only in situations of extreme disbelief!
######### http://shiiiit.com/ #########
####### Image #######

About a simple man who was horrifically punished by
the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to
bring light to the common people.

The_President
Club Player

The only idea I hate more than us getting Jaeger and him failing is Essendon getting him for free in the draft & he becomes a star.

Damo just said on Triple M that he wouldn't be surprised if Jaeger's management happily let him go into the draft because the relationship with the Suns is now in tatters.

Maybe we could get him with just a second rounder if we convince him that we're a better destination than Essendon?

Even Jaeger at 70% is a bargain for a second rounder.

older saint
SS Life Member

The_President wrote:The only idea I hate more than us getting Jaeger and him failing is Essendon getting him for free in the draft & he becomes a star.

Damo just said on Triple M that he wouldn't be surprised if Jaeger's management happily let him go into the draft because the relationship with the Suns is now in tatters.

Maybe we could get him with just a second rounder if we convince him that we're a better destination than Essendon?

Even Jaeger at 70% is a bargain for a second rounder.
If you believe the word he won't goto Essendon unless McKenna moves on as they apparently didn't have the best relationship.
Watch StKilda make an offer but not sell the farm, especially after cRiho talked about the backline yesterday. Hawthorne my tip for O'Mera

My guess is they will target a tall back ( probably from GWS or GC) and see Lee and Delaney gone.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

If his knee is okay - then we'd be mad not to make a play. And by that I mean a genuine play. And by that I mean Billings. GC will only accept gold quality in return and Billings after 3yrs may be a gun, but right now, will be a handy small - in fact I can see Gresham overtaking him very quickly.

If we're to fair dinkum challenge we need to be bold - as in trade Big Ben McEvoy type bold, like we did a few yrs back. A midfield with Freeman and O'Meara, Acres, Dunstan, Gresham, Ross, Steven would be top shelf.

Of course Billings could realise his potential and Freeman and O'meara may never get on the park. Just like Burgoyne's knee may never have recovered and Lake never got back to full fitness.

I would never be critical of the club taking a calculated risk. I know the supporters would never accept it, but it wouldn't bother me one bit.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:If his knee is okay - then we'd be mad not to make a play. And by that I mean a genuine play. And by that I mean Billings. GC will only accept gold quality in return and Billings after 3yrs may be a gun, but right now, will be a handy small - in fact I can see Gresham overtaking him very quickly.

If we're to fair dinkum challenge we need to be bold - as in trade Big Ben McEvoy type bold, like we did a few yrs back. A midfield with Freeman and O'Meara, Acres, Dunstan, Gresham, Ross, Steven would be top shelf.

Of course Billings could realise his potential and Freeman and O'meara may never get on the park. Just like Burgoyne's knee may never have recovered and Lake never got back to full fitness.

I would never be critical of the club taking a calculated risk. I know the supporters would never accept it, but it wouldn't bother me one bit.
Leaving aside whether we should or shouldn't consider that trade, I couldn't see Billings agreeing to move to QLD and to play for the basket case that is the Suns.

And he, or anyone for that matter, must agree to the trade.

That is the problem.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

surely IF his injuries are as bad as stated and GC know this also the you would not be parting with a Billings to get a 1 legged midfielder no matter what his potential.

this 'we want top quality' cr@p from GC will need to be tempered by the fact he hasnt got on the park in 2 years.

An Armo plus 1? maybe .......a Billings? nup.

“Yeah….nah””
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

So we won't give up our first rounder, and the second rounder has already been sold. Third rounder plus a starting 18 player for a high risk prospect is very bold given we have Freeman.

Personally I think another club will be prepared to pay a higher price.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SuperDuper
Club Player

Zed wrote:So we won't give up our first rounder, and the second rounder has already been sold. Third rounder plus a starting 18 player for a high risk prospect is very bold given we have Freeman.

Personally I think another club will be prepared to pay a higher price.

well it all depends on the medical.

If our club think he will get back to fitness, I am sure they will part with pick 10 for him
The question is whether there is more involved and how much more....

Clearly if he gets back to is best he is worth pick 10.... looked the best young player in the comp, and by some margin, in his first 2 years...
I really cant recall anyone that impressive at that age.... and i have watched AFL for many many years...

Anyway... let's see what the medicos say...

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

No way.
Just what we need, another player who can't get on the field.
If he is like this now, imagine when he is 28. We would do a lot better to do our homework and get the best player available in the draft.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.