An absolute JOKE!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: An absolute JOKE!!!

kosifantutti wrote:Good teams win when they're playing poorly.
So 12th on the ladder and a % of 85 makes you a 'good team'?

Legendary
Club Player

Actually, the Bombers have played some better footy in patches in the last month.

The game yesterday was quite similar to the GWS v Bombers gave which I had the misfortune of attending a few weeks ago - the Giants just got up in the last quarter after a solo effort from Toby Greene, with the Bombers having led for most of the day.

I wouldn't read too much into it - yes we played poorly, but we still found a way to win.

We conceded 7.11 from turnovers - halve that number and we win the game by 40 points.

Onward and upward.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

To the top wrote: Geary is a liability.

Please read and discuss... I think we know who the liability is here.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-07-1 ... richardson

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:We conceded 7.11 from turnovers - halve that number and we win the game by 40 points.
But that's the rub...We concede way too much every week from turnovers.
Until we can replace the players in the side the consistently butcher the ball we are destined to not climb the ladder to the heights we want.

It killed us last week because we can't get our defensive structures right quick enough when we turn it over coming out of defence.
Our other big issue at the moment is the forward line.
We have three talls (when Paddy plays) and no ground level crumbers. It'd be worth throwing Joey into the forward line to give us that finish...He's certainly a liability in defence at the moment.
Put it on a younger player on half back to give us some poise from defence...Maybe Billings, Sinclair or Webster can do that job...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:To those who insist the likes of McKenzie, Minchington, Geary et al are "stars" or "stars in the making", they are not and their presence in the St Kilda 22 are the reason for the Club being where it is at.

Geary is an honest trier at the very best, and has courage but every player at AFL level must have courage, to go when it is their turn to go.

His absence of leg speed was once again highlighted v Essendon with his opponents those running amok including higher up the ground to further expose his weaknesses (good coaching by Essendon).

That absence of leg speed means he can not feature in the spread from defence - and that is before you get to his up and under disposal which allows space his target has created to be closed down and opportunity closed down further afield.

Sides are very happy to see the ball in Geary's hands.

We saw how (even) Essendon ran the ball from defence, switching and catching us out freeing up the next player in the chain.

Where does Geary EVER feature in such a transition from defence?

And then the young aboriginal, as his direct opponent for significant of the game (until the performance of Geary forced the move of McKenzie onto him!!!!) left Geary in his wake as he did.

Yes Geary took 2 "stretch marks" which were vital (and if he had not held on, he would have been on the ground as our last line defender with Essendon running into an open goal because in both instances his opponent was clear behind him having made space from Geary, so it was poor Essendon disposal to even give Geary those opportunities - a foot more elevation and curtains) and he got a hand on a lunging spoil in the last - but 3 such acts balanced against the negatives on full display does not make the "champion" some on here think he is.

Geary is a liability.

Our "small defenders" need to be able to negate the likes of the young aboriginal lad Essendon are promoting - and contribute to the spread and rebound to have them expending energy on the chase.

In terms of Montagna, he had his jacket on when on the bench in the lead up to 3 quarter time and was worked on before and during that break indicating he may have had a leg issue.

And that brings me to another beef. We play Montagna as a defender to provide cover for Geary and ball use and options from defence.

THAT is not the answer.

The answer is to address the crux of the problem not the symptoms

So dream on re Geary (and Minchington, Mc Kenzie, Savage) because you are dreaming if you are of the opinion they are the future of St Kilda and a premiership.
Your being very odd, nobody says Geary is a champion.

Given you are the one that mentioned it, we need to move Joey from defence because it isn't working.

Kicked it straight to Parish this week, and we were lucky he appeared suprised and didn't have the composure to kick a goal and make us pay for the turnover. This was on the back of a deliberate rushed behind last week.

FWIW, our issue is more we lack a Isaac Smith, Stephen Hill type to run on the wings. If anything stands out to me, it's that Joey, Geary, Gilbert etc lack options to kick it to, we need outside run and link players between the D50 and F50.

I particularly think Gresham could be huge for us here, at one stage he kicked it 60 metres to break the Essendon zone.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We need to find a good 10KM runner-steeple chaser type athlete.

Send our recruiters to Rio and sign up an Olympian!!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Good teams win when they're playing poorly.
So 12th on the ladder and a % of 85 makes you a 'good team'?

I can't recall saying that.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:And we're 6 from 6 against fellow foundation clubs this season so far.
I love fantastic, meaningless stats...
That is a pearler!
Do we class Sydney (South Melbourne) and Brisbane (Fitzroy) as foundation clubs?

I asked that same question to the posters on this site some time back. I think Swans - yes, as they were relocated lock stock and barrel, and the South Melbourne records still stand with them. Lions - no, as they were a merger between two teams, plus the Fitzroy records don't count for them, they are a new entity.

Hopefully we can keep this happy record going this week against Melbourne.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The Recruit
Club Player

The crows game was worse.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Worst performance of the year, even though Hickey, Ross, Membry and Steven were brilliant!
I don't know about our worst performance. The losses to the Eagles and the Crows were horrific to watch. At least we came away with 4 points from Sunday's game.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I don't care if we win

This is the worst, most embarrassing performance in my time watching stk

Including the 80s

Shameful
I call bulls***. No need for hyperbole. I hope you have calmed down, taken a Bex and had a good lie down.

Oh, by the way, we won the game.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Moods
Saintsational Legend

We were pretty bad, don't think anyone disputes that. Was really hard to watch. We desperately need our skilled smaller players to find form - ie Billings Sinclair or Lonei. I note they all played well in the VFL. We simply lack skill and composure.

Dunstan had some reasonable numbers, but he just has to be cleaner with the ball. Guys as slow as him need to have exquisite ball handling abilities as they can't break away from packs. He had 17 handballs or something and most seemed like rushed handballs to players in not much better position.

Geary is NOT the problem. Played well and did his job.
Gilbert was awful. We simply can't afford our senior players to play that poorly.
We HAVE to find a second ruckman. Bruce is not the answer, not even close. We were lucky their rucks are ordinary. If he can't hold his marks in th fwd line then we need to find someone who will.

Our fwds are nearly as big a liability as our backs. Membery obviously did well, but I suspect that he's only ever a third tall and needs genuine big fwds around him to be effective against legitimate teams. Bruce has been very ordinary this year, and if Roo isn't firing we are in deep trouble as he's still our best contested mark. Paddy simply can't get on the park.

Seb Ross is developing nicely and Jack Stevens has been sensational. The big worry for mine is Armo. He looks slow, lacks penetration in his kicking, and is horribly out of form. He was a bit better last Sunday, but he should smash these teams. He's getting held up in tackles and for a 10 year player, quite simply, he's a disappointment for what we would have been hoping from him.

We have structural issues all over the ground, and unless we turn up fully switched on we play horribly. The scarey thought is that Roo can't go on forever and at the moment he's our go to player. And his form in the last 2 weeks has been average.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Fair comment re: back up for Tom H. I would like to see Lewis Pierce playing from now until the seasons end as a means of building up an understanding between Hickey and himself. The pairing worked very effectively against Carlturd (IMHO) I hardly think that its time for us to panic, we are going better than last season, having already improved the win-loss ratio, we have Carlisle ready to go at the heart of our defence next season. Things look GOOD!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I think the player we are really missing in the back half at the moment is Webster. Is as hard as a cat's head, is quick, and can kick it (although can tend to bomb away at times). I know he has some detractors on here, but we appear to have lost some of the earlier backline composure we had since he went out injured.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If any of the coaching staff or player take any satisfaction out of the Essendon game because we won... We are absolutely f***ed!!!

But I would like to think they are a little bit more critical than supporters who accept mediocrity

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Blah blah blah....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just glad some of the apologist supporters aren't in charge

How did AR come across at 3qtr time

It was the first time he has publicly baked the players
Why do you think that was the case

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who was pleased by the performance yesterday V Melbourne is .............ME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Anyone who was pleased by the performance yesterday V Melbourne is .............ME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Solid 8 out 10 performance yesterday. Shame I missed it. Looking at the replay and
Stats it was a real team effort and team defence

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Legendary
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Actually, the Bombers have played some better footy in patches in the last month.

The game yesterday was quite similar to the GWS v Bombers gave which I had the misfortune of attending a few weeks ago - the Giants just got up in the last quarter after a solo effort from Toby Greene, with the Bombers having led for most of the day.

I wouldn't read too much into it - yes we played poorly, but we still found a way to win.

We conceded 7.11 from turnovers - halve that number and we win the game by 40 points.

Onward and upward.
Bombers almost knocked off Richmond, and we won easily. Essendon have improved.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

About time Richardson played a backup ruckman. Doesn't do Bruce any good. Pierce should be played.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:About time Richardson played a backup ruckman. Doesn't do Bruce any good. Pierce should be played.
Should be its on thread

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote="thejiggingsaint"]Anyone who was pleased by the performance yesterday V Melbourne is .............ME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

much better yesterday

on their home track... etihad

only 1 negative