What do we really need player-wise?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Re: What do we really need player-wise?????

An x-factor. Someone who can turn/blow a close game open in 15 minutes.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
supersaints
Club Player

Think we should have a go at GWS key back eg Jack Leslie who are not getting a regular game, particularly with our long term injury and Fish about to retire. seems strange that we think we have key positions covered and only interested in a back up... Get young talent in and let natural progression take care of it.

There are tons of good midfielders around we can get one free agency closer to 2018 who would likely be around the 24 year old, see how Gresh and Billings and co go next season

I Think GWS have around 14 Key position plsyers on their list.. There's got to be a jem or two . Who knows one of them could end up better than Carlilse.

I think there is a bit of being a little more patient yet..

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
To the top
SS Life Member

Webster may kick left foot, but the assessment is that he does not have the required leg speed, is easily beaten man on man and has trouble keeping his feet in the contest because he is not robust enough to win body contact contests.

As Savage shows, you can not afford to have defenders who need the ball fed to them to use their kicking skills.

And, as Geary shows, you can not afford to have defenders who can make possessions difficult for their opponent by and large but who can not provide the required spread use and rebound.

Minchington has been around long enough to conclude that he is not AFL standard - allowing for kicking some goals when he has been able to get by himself inside the F50 - aka v. Geelong. He debuted in 2013 and has played 18 games kicking 17 goals (including 3 v Geelong and, I think, 2 early against Geelong in the draw last year before they closed him down).

And then you project to an ability to influence a result on Grand Final day!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Minchington has been around long enough to conclude that he is not AFL standard - allowing for kicking some goals when he has been able to get by himself inside the F50 - aka v. Geelong. He debuted in 2013 and has played 18 games kicking 17 goals (including 3 v Geelong and, I think, 2 early against Geelong in the draw last year before they closed him down).

And then you project to an ability to influence a result on Grand Final day!
I haven't given up on Minchy. He's got a couple of strengths - one is he is showing he can be effective playing as a genuine mid which gives him an advantage over Lonie and Sinclair at the moment. The other is that he a pretty long and cool shot on goal where we;ve seen how vital it is to put score board pressure on when you get good shots or you pay for it later.
He previously was in a piss poor development environment and seems to be moving forward under Richo. Can he keep getting better which he'll have to if he wants a small forward/midfielder role with some stiff competition? He would need to become our Pupollio with crazy forward pressure.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Lin Jong? Courted by the filth

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Mids mids mids

To the top
SS Life Member

Puopolo played 68 SANFL games for Norwood kicking 12 goals.

He was unable to establish himself as a small forward and spent much time at SANFL Reserves level until Bassett moved him to a back pocket, a move that led to him being Drafted by Hawthorn as a mature age player.

one point
Club Player

The club seems to have identified a key position back and a speedy outside mid as the main areas they are looking to fill

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote:The club seems to have identified a key position back and a speedy outside mid as the main areas they are looking to fill

Deaja Vu then as last year it was Calrlisle and Freeman who are a key position back and a speedy outside mid

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
one point
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
one point wrote:The club seems to have identified a key position back and a speedy outside mid as the main areas they are looking to fill

Deaja Vu then as last year it was Calrlisle and Freeman who are a key position back and a speedy outside mid
Yes seems so as this was a recent statement by a senior member of the football department

footynut
Club Player

one point wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Yes seems so as this was a recent statement by a senior member of the football department

So if the club is targeting a key back, where do they see Goddard playing?
(He think's he should be able to play in the NAB Cup if his recovery goes to plan)

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

What we need is another elite tall key position defender to support Carlisle while Goddard develops. Hurley would be my choice.
We need an elite outside run midfielder in case Freeman never plays. This can be rectified in the draft/tade period this year.
I would like to get a class attacking half back flanker in the Acres mould. Although this could be Acres, if he can get his kicking accuracy fixed up. He tends to rush and needs to keep his composure, but this may just come with experience.
I think we may be asked to trade Billy Longer this year by his agent (although I want to keep him) so this may give us some clout/draft picks to trade for somebody like Steele.
Some of our younger high draft pick players like Billings, Goddard and Paddy are still developing and hopefully they can all have some luck next year with injuries and put some serious senior games together. If they can we should see an improvement in ladder position to 9th or 10th in 2017.
We will get an indication of where our present list are currently at after the next two games - two solid wins against opposition we are favoured to beat and we can be extremely optimistic about 2017 and beyond. The final six rounds are more difficult with games against top 4 sides and 2 games at the MCG so the next two games are critical for momentum moving forward.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

If Acres and Freeman make it (I know it's a big if) we're beautifully set up. Then we need a slippery mid - another Gresh or similar but with a bit more mongrel. Fingers crossed Gresh avoids the 2nd year blues cos he's got a nice bit of Dusty Martin about him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gresham - Dustin Martyn?

Maybe his baby brother... Marrying is a 186cm 90kg bull who cannot be tackled due to strength. Gresham is 177cm 75kg and has a nice side step through traffic.

Where's the similarity?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Only his slipperiness I guess - and my optimistic outlook ;o)

st.rick
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-19/g ... department

I noticed this yesterday. no way would they get walters probably Freos second best player.
We have a few we could put up for trade.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Prestia going off line to get some knee clean up. JOM might play another game in a couple of weeks. Wonder if we are in the game with either.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-19/y ... her-hurdle

older saint
SS Life Member

Prestia will end up at Richmond, if not Melbourne.
O'Meara seems more a target but if cant get on the park this year will make it hard to justify what they will ask for him on a big ?

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Prestia going off line to get some knee clean up. JOM might play another game in a couple of weeks. Wonder if we are in the game with either.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-19/y ... her-hurdle
Don't know about Prestia but we're not in the hunt for JOM. After so much speculation about him ending up with a massive backloaded deal at Hawthorn the odds look to be on him staying, at least in the short term.
I've suggested it before but in terms of outside skill and speed I think we should add Riley Knight to any list we have. Highly skilled and elusive. Just hampered by injuries this season but he is in their best 22. Polec another who has high speed and can't get a game.
Now that Marchbank is firming for Carlton I have heard we're looking at Tomlinson.

evo
Club Player

Sydney's Mitchell has been shopped around by his manager, would be a good get but if he moves it will probably to Carlton.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Michael Hurley and Brad Crouch!

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

I was wrong about our not being in the hunt for O'Meara.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Still think Lin Jong could be handy. Gut runner with good skills.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:I was wrong about our not being in the hunt for O'Meara.
What have you heard Hemi.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

I had heard that he was over the line at Hawthorn which prompted my earlier comments. I have now heard that his fitness issues coupled with the 850k approx average pa salary package he can command has led to them reconsidering.We are in the running. Happy to supply a detail or two confidentially.