saints game plan.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

saints game plan.

The game plan richo has introduced is making footy enjoyable again. We move the ball constantly and at break neck speed. When we lose possession the swarm is deployed with extremely aggressive body on body pressure to force turnovers. We are acclaimed as the best pressure team in the AFL now. We also dont mind going long to the square when entering f50. We back our forwards to clunk contested marks. This is great to watch. It puts opponents under fierce pressure. We are seeing good teams being unsettled by a very talented young saints team. The scary thing is. We havent fully mastered it yet.. look out this saints team is growing better and better each week.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Milne
Club Player

Re: saints game plan.

Yep, just wait until the skills are there. We are going to be a force in future.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I posted last year that I thought when we clicked as a team our rise could be sharp.
I based that on the fact our pressure was and is intense. Last year and also this year at times teams have often been able to just get away from our pressure with chains of handballs. Against Geelong and the Blues we bullied them and forced the turn overs. We also bulldozed them at clearances at times. Really impressed with the exciting nature of our play in the past two weeks

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Reality check--- Sorry
No team has one game plan, they have multiple ones depending on the opposition and the game situation. The one that most of you are in raptures in is a fairly kamikaze plan. Bit like the dominoe fall, looks great when it works but if one piece is out of place it falls flat. Don't under estimate Rodney Eade. I think you may see a rather different game on the weekend. We need to master all game plans and situations, then we'll be a genuine force.
But no I'm not being a grinch, just a realist. But hold on to your seats, it's a coming.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I made no mention of game plan. I made mention of our pressure.

George27
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:I made no mention of game plan. I made mention of our pressure.

I think Tony could reasonably assume you were, given the topic heading is "Saints game plan" ! However Goose I reckon your first post is spot on. We are exciting to watch . It is fun to go to the footy at the moment .

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Reality check--- Sorry
No team has one game plan, they have multiple ones depending on the opposition and the game situation. The one that most of you are in raptures in is a fairly kamikaze plan. Bit like the dominoe fall, looks great when it works but if one piece is out of place it falls flat. Don't under estimate Rodney Eade. I think you may see a rather different game on the weekend. We need to master all game plans and situations, then we'll be a genuine force.
But no I'm not being a grinch, just a realist. But hold on to your seats, it's a coming.
Our HOK (Head of Kamikaze) I assume is out injured due to his shoulder? Is that correct Tone??

The Geelong craziness is a brutal way to play and hard to do weeks on end regardless of how hard bodied or experienced the team

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

If execution was better, wouldn't need to do the rugby scrum.
Because we would be hitting players correctly with precise kicks and doing the accurate movement.
Being accurate when we have the ball reduces reliance on pressuring opponents to get the ball back.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Tony is just doing the club thing and trying to hose down expectations after a famous victory. We look great when we're up and running at Etihad, but, as we've seen, we're yet to produce consistently on the road. This week is a massive test against a side that is far better than its ladder position suggests
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 27 Jun 2016 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Looking forward to seeing how the 2 games at the MCG later this season play out. At the moment, I feel the narrative in the media is 'Oh, they're good at Etihad under the roof.' I actually think this style will stack up really well at the MCG, maybe even better than Etihad.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agree with Tony

The ballistic Game Plan cannot be the only approach

Must be a plan B

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigcarl wrote:Tony is just doing the club thing and trying to hose down expectations after a famous victory. We look great when we're up and running at Etihad, but, as we've seen, we're yet to produce consistently on the road. This week is a massive test against a side that is far better than its ladder position suggests
No, on Sunday night, tony74 revealed that the players were told the Suns game "is the most important game of the season". It was "drummed into the players by the coaches".
The club wants the lads to perform on the road on Saturday.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="BigMart"]Agree with Tony

The ballistic Game Plan cannot be the only approach

Must be a plan B[/quote]

But it is still our preferred game plan.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Depends on opposition, conditions, selected teams, state of game

You need to be able to control the game