St Kilda condemns Frawley's joke about Caroline Wilson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda condemns Frawley's joke about Caroline Wilson

Rita is right again.....of course.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... df2c86666c

"IS the AFL a professional sporting organisation or is it an activist group determined to engineer social change?

The AFL’s identity crisis deepened further on Wednesday when chief executive Gillon McLachlan breathlessly announced the appointment of the general manager of, wait for it, Inclusion and Social Policy.

It would be difficult to imagine a more mirth-inducing title for the professional social justice warriors of the AFL, but let’s try.

Who will they appoint next?

An executive director of Safe Spaces? A Non-Heteronormative Diversity and Intersectionality officer?

Or perhaps a commissioner to Combat Manspreading Micro-aggressions and Patriarchal Hate-Speech.

“The fact that the comments were made on radio a week ago, and were not called out, is an indictment on everyone working in football,” he thundered.

On Wednesday, at another press conference, we were regaled by details of the AFL’s virtue and moral superiority as indigenous rights campaigner Tanya Hosch was announced as the second woman to join the league’s executive ranks.

It was fitting that the image-conscious competition took advantage of this week’s hysterical furore — in which the game’s most powerful woman was presented as a subjugated victim and an oft-repeated joke was interpreted as a vicious gender-based attack akin to an act of violence — to show how progressive they are by appointing a woman as head of diversity.

It is the position that former Labor senator Nova Peris is said to have coveted.

According to the AFL, the role will involve Ms Hosch formulating and implementing strategies to promote inclusion and diversity.

The likes of McLachlan may be skilled at thrashing out advantageous broadcasting agreements but at what point did the head honchos at the AFL decide they were the ethical arbiters on the social ills plaguing the nation? What does the AFL think about nuclear power and renewable energy? What is the league’s official position on negative gearing?

Next, the politicians and ideologues who populate league headquarters will provide how-to-vote cards to we mortals who would be lost without their moral guidance.

Why are those within footy, both at the AFL and club level, so keen to alienate a significant portion of their supporter base by continually dabbling in divisive issues?

The AFL’s cynical use of the game to push Left-wing dogma not only disaffects many fans but it also leaves the game exposed to all sort of ugliness that has no place in football.

Earlier this year we saw the boofheads from the United Patriots Front unfurl a large “Go Pies! Stop the Mosques” banner at the MCG.

It’s hardly surprising others now see the competition as a means of pushing their own political agendas.
‘Last year we saw the league accept the most absurd interpretation of the ill-feeling towards Adam Goodes and falsely condemn swathes of its own supporter base as racists.’

IS there any danger that those charged with running the game could focus on the considerable task at hand and leave the social change advocacy to the many campaigners committed to such causes? Our great game should not be used to push any ideology that is unconnected to football, is divisive or at odds with reality.

The AFL is sometimes too eager to adopt a fringe view and then declare that all those who disagree are “ignorant”; a favourite tactic of the Left or those who prefer feelings over facts.

Last year we saw the league accept the most absurd interpretation of the ill-feeling towards Adam Goodes and falsely condemn swathes of its own supporter base as racists.

One look at the hot mess that is the AFL’s illicit drug code shows not just how pig-headed the league can be but also how disingenuous it is in adopting a policy that is designed to protect the brand while trumpeting that player welfare is the primary concern.

All of that would be hard to justify even if the league was kicking goals on all fronts, but the truth is that while the AFL has been busy playing politics, it has overseen a period characterised by scandal and mismanagement.

It has floundered in several key areas and, despite broadcasting riches, too many clubs are not financially viable and unable to survive without handouts.

We’ve seen the past three years of the competition overshadowed by a drugs controversy that resulted in 34 former and current players being banned for 12 months.

The AFL ultimately shares responsibility for the failures that led to the systematic doping of dozens of its players.

Every club has been hurt by the so-called supplements saga, which has caused enormous damage to the game’s reputation and will continue to have an impact as doped players explore their legal options.

The AFL’s enthusiasm for embracing every daft socially “progressive” policy or principle has distracted it from its core business: football.

Luckily for those charged with running the game, Aussie rules is such an integral part of our lives that no matter how badly the code’s administration insults fans or mismanages the game, we will continue to watch and support our teams. But football fans are increasingly weary of sociopolitical issues intruding on the game they love.

Australians have finely tuned bulldust detectors; the AFL would be well advised to quit the hypocrisy and grandstanding that continue to damage its standing in the community."

RITA PANAHI IS A HERALD SUN COLUMNIST

I particularly liked this line.

"It was fitting that the image-conscious competition took advantage of this week’s hysterical furore — in which the game’s most powerful woman was presented as a subjugated victim and an oft-repeated joke was interpreted as a vicious gender-based attack akin to an act of violence — to show how progressive they are by appointing a woman as head of diversity."

Saying that Eddie picked out Caro because she was the weakest link is just plain wrong.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
degruch wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: These flogs never pick on other flogs who are like them. They dont all gang up on 'Jimmy' Brayshaw.
Bingo! Much the same as Eddie first port of call wasn't Robbo, or any other contemporary blokey bloke jouro who may have said a bad word about his club. "No-one loves Caro, or that crap she wrote about my club, so watch me as I publically sink the boot fellas"...straight onto the perceived weakest link.
I don't think anyone considers Caro "the weakest link". She always hits back hard and also plays the victims card if she thinks there is a story in it.

Goes back to points scoring and getting even imho. Lets not forget it was initially about raising money for a good cause and it got out of hand.
I can't remember any club CEO thinking they could get stuck into a senior sports journalist like that before...maybe he made an assumption everyone would be on his side (as his boofhead mates were), I'm interested to know why would that be? Of course, IMO he perceives he's on a different (higher) level, hence the complete lack of respect. Maybe he got lost in the moment, but that's generally where people get exposed for what they're really thinking.
saynta wrote:Saying that Eddie picked out Caro because she was the weakest link is just plain wrong.
Just because Caro has the higher ground now doesn't mean Eddie didn't think he could get away heaping crap on her because she's not a male colleague...in fact, if you've got another reason I'd like the hear it. There's plenty protesting this isn't a misogynistic bullying episode, but I'm not seeing a lot of theories to the contrary.

In any case, it's very good news (bad for poor old Rita) that there has been a big deal made of this, as Caro aside, it may alleviate similar bullying pressure on women in other similar situations...Caro might be a tough old bird, but you really should be getting by in sports journalism because of your knowledge and insight, not your ability to weather crap from those in higher positions.

And of course, it may stop some blokes in their tracks before they make a mistake they regret. You're right that Eddie was attempting to benefit a good cause (as were the others), I bet they wish for a rewind button right now.
Last edited by degruch on Thu 23 Jun 2016 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
saynta wrote:
degruch wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: These flogs never pick on other flogs who are like them. They dont all gang up on 'Jimmy' Brayshaw.
Bingo! Much the same as Eddie first port of call wasn't Robbo, or any other contemporary blokey bloke jouro who may have said a bad word about his club. "No-one loves Caro, or that crap she wrote about my club, so watch me as I publically sink the boot fellas"...straight onto the perceived weakest link.
I don't think anyone considers Caro "the weakest link". She always hits back hard and also plays the victims card if she thinks there is a story in it.

Goes back to points scoring and getting even imho. Lets not forget it was initially about raising money for a good cause and it got out of hand.
I can't remember any club CEO thinking they could get stuck into a senior sports journalist like that before...maybe he made an assumption everyone would be on his side (as his boofhead mates were), I'm interested to know why would that be? Of course, IMO he perceives he's on a different (higher) level, hence the complete lack of respect. Maybe he got lost in the moment, but that's generally where people get exposed for what they're really thinking.
saynta wrote:Saying that Eddie picked out Caro because she was the weakest link is just plain wrong.
Just because Caro has the higher ground now doesn't mean Eddie didn't think he could get away heaping crap on her because she's not a male colleague...in fact, if you've got another reason I'd like the hear it. There's plenty protesting this isn't a misogynistic bullying episode, but I'm not seeing a lot of theories to the contrary.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He got lost in the moment , as did the others. What started out as a good thing to raise more money next year quickly turned to s***.

I was listening to it at the time and considered the comments a bit rough, but quickly forgot about them.

I must admit disliking Wilson, which may have played a part in my lack of "outrage". The fact that she was a women didn't enter my mind. I do regard that team as bully boys though. They always have been.

But then, I dislike Eddie with a vengence.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

[quote="Johnny MemberWhereas the fact that it was directed at a woman, means that it has struck a chord with a group in society that only 100 years ago weren't even allowed to vote FFS because men told them they couldn't!
[/quote]

Thanks for the manner you respond in (that is sincere by the way), it is actually refreshing to get measured responses, with logically laid out reasoning to support your case and thoughts.

One thing though - the above is another myth that has been gleefully propagated by feminists. No-one got the vote other than landed gentry. The wealthy got the vote, not having the right to vote was not a result of gender, it was a result of wealth. The average working man only got the vote as a trade-of for being sent into battle by their thousands as cannon fodder. And I think you will find that unions (male workers unions) were staunch supporters of women getting the vote.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The time has come for Eddie McGuire to step down from his Collingwood presidency and the AFL media. It always seems to be all about him and no one else. Surely, he is no longer relevant to our game? It's over, Eddie!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

P.S. The Footy Show is also way past its expiry. Anyone with at least half a brain doesn't listen to Triple M or watch that rubbish!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
asaint wrote:Poor Sam Newman, he is a dinosaur and will never get it. Please retire soon.

Sam was spot on and unless we start following his lead and actually say and act how we wish we will be doomed. He along with so many others know this is bulls*** but unlike Sam the sheep are to afraid to speak up.
So we should all be 'free' to be assholes? Because inside we are all really assholes?
OK. Just let your inner asshole run free! Is that the message?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:P.S. The Footy Show is also way past its expiry. Anyone with at least half a brain doesn't listen to Triple M or watch that rubbish!
Truest post on this whole sorry tale!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Sainternist wrote:P.S. The Footy Show is also way past its expiry. Anyone with at least half a brain doesn't listen to Triple M or watch that rubbish!
Truest post on this whole sorry tale!
careful ..some on here still watch it. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
PremiershipSaint
Club Player

freely wrote:
markp wrote:Stewart Lee's take... very funny... language warning...!

Priceless. I hope the Eddie-defenders are bothering to give this a look.
It was straw man after straw man.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth, apart from the inappropriate nature of the (ahem) "banter" it just wasn't funny, in any shape or form, just dumb. McGuire has got form in this kind of "banter" and I stopped watching the footy show YEARS ago when the programme became more of a " boys club" than a programme where AFL footy was discussed with a modicum of seriousness. I'm no fan of Caroline Wilson but this attack was just awful. McGuire shows his true Collingwood colours under the Hugo Boss suit when anyone (particularly a female journalist) has anything ( other than fawning flattery ) to say about his club. I'm not sure if we can on one hand ;applaud Nicky Winmars stance in '93 and then accept this sort of behaviour on the other.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Caro isnt claiming woe is me I am a victim. She is just calling them out for being dickheads. Which they are. People say oh but caro is so powerful.
You dont get people like Eddie having a go at people with real power like Mike Fitzpatrick or Gillon McClaghlin. Eddie and Sam etc kiss their asses.
The reality is caro does have come clout but because she is a woman they cant handle it and so start calling her a 'witch' etc etc and then claim it is " all in good fun'. I don't see them ganging up on Robbo either. They dont gang up on Tim Watson or 'Darce' or Gerard Whately or 'Damo' Barrett. They suck up to them. Someone should knock Eddie out and then just say 'just blokes having a laugh'. All in good fun! I mean where do u draw the line?
What is funny about saying you going to drown someone and then repeating the joke over and over. FFS they could have talked about a million topics relevant to the big freeze. They are just a bunch of dickheads. Yes I know some people look up to people like Eddie and Sam as though they are mental giants and societal leaders but it is lowest common denominator stuff and by definition half the population (-1) are below average intelligence.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:. Someone should knock Eddie out and then just say 'just blokes having a laugh'.
Oh yeah, that would be just great. Violence against a male okay with you is it con?

Just as well we have coward's punch legislation to deal with people who think like you. :roll:

saintly
Saintsational Legend

I know that if it was said about me, I would not have taken it jokingly at all.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The problem I have with the comments from McGuire and Co. is not simply confined to the comments themselves, but rather the comfort and tacit support given to misogyny by the "banter". At the risk of repeating myself, I gave the footy show away years ago, I don't condemn others for watching it, nor do I judge them for supporting the culture promoted by the show, I simply don't want to waste my precious time on it. I'm just amazed (& saddened) by the role played in all this by Danny Frawley, and I'm so pleased at the response from the club to his foolishness. I don't believe in censorship or gagging free speech ( far from it ) however, I also believe that along with freedom of speech, EVERYBODY has the responsibility to be prepared to face up to any criticism for the things they utter. Simple as that

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote: At the risk of repeating myself,
:D

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Craig Little nails it re the Footy Show and Sam Newman :

"Every other week, it seems, Sam Newman rolls out boorish bon mots with the same toxicity with which Benson & Hedges once churned out cigarettes. If he has a talent, it is that everything he says sticks to your skin. Newman was always going to be one of those people who hurried to help Eddie McGuire to his feet, as if he had been the victim of something other than his own dull wit."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... lub-urinal

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

re Frawley.. the media chooses to employ ex footballers.. we need to accept that's all they are .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:re Frawley.. the media chooses to employ ex footballers.. we need to accept that's all they are .

Fair comment.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:The problem I have with the comments from McGuire and Co. is not simply confined to the comments themselves, but rather the comfort and tacit support given to misogyny by the "banter". At the risk of repeating myself, I gave the footy show away years ago, I don't condemn others for watching it, nor do I judge them for supporting the culture promoted by the show, I simply don't want to waste my precious time on it. I'm just amazed (& saddened) by the role played in all this by Danny Frawley, and I'm so pleased at the response from the club to his foolishness. I don't believe in censorship or gagging free speech ( far from it ) however, I also believe that along with freedom of speech, EVERYBODY has the responsibility to be prepared to face up to any criticism for the things they utter. Simple as that

Great post jiggster. I concur. I understand there is a market for shows like the footy show. It pulls in advertisers and pulls an audience.
I also dont think the world needs to be homogenised and sanitised to the nth degree. People should be able to enjoy their own 'tribes' to an extent.
We dont have to all share the same sense of humour or think the same people are 'top blokes' and the same people 'd_heads'. One person's 'top bloke' is another man's 'd_head'. And vice versa.
But the discussion doesnt start and end there. If people want to be mean, demean others and just be a_holes well people have to right to call them out on it. In Sam's case he is just plain nasty. There are plenty of other ways to 'defend a mate' than to call the other party mean spirited names.

HarryM
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Craig Little nails it re the Footy Show and Sam Newman :

"Every other week, it seems, Sam Newman rolls out boorish bon mots with the same toxicity with which Benson & Hedges once churned out cigarettes. If he has a talent, it is that everything he says sticks to your skin. Newman was always going to be one of those people who hurried to help Eddie McGuire to his feet, as if he had been the victim of something other than his own dull wit."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... lub-urinal
Yet here he is hanging off every word Sam said. :D

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If people want to be mean, demean others and just be a_holes well people have to right to call them out on it.
Sam Gilbert says hi 8-)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:If people want to be mean, demean others and just be a_holes well people have to right to call them out on it.
Sam Gilbert says hi 8-)
:D :D