Mid season review The Age.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Mid season review The Age.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mid season review The Age.

very fair estimation.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Based on expectations, I reckon we've done a bit better than C+. It's a lazy grade to give when the journo doesn't want to think about things too much...

If you look at the first half of the fixture at the start of the year, there's no way we go into the bye at 5-7. There's potentially half a dozen blowouts there, and we've really only had 2 (at arguably the 2 most difficult places to win for Melbourne teams). In 2015, the Pies' beat us by 80, the Hawks beat us by 60, and North by 40.

I honestly though we'd be 0-8 when we faced the Bombers, and go into the break 2-10 (then win 5 on the way home after the bye). 7 wins for the year would stick us right in the middle of that 9th-15th expected range. Now if we win those same five in the second half of the year, we'll finish near the top of that expected range.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's a season with effectively 3 free wins.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:It's a season with effectively 3 free wins.
Not sure Melbourne or Gold Coast would agree with that.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The guys "under the pump" are the ones that have barely been played. Tough to prove anything playing in the VFL. But we've learned so much more about Gilbo, Demps, Fish, Geary, Monty and Roo. That will set us up for the future!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good accurate assessment.

But I'd give them a B- based on pre season (low) expectations

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hard to peg...I reckon anyone would have given us an F last week after two interstate trouncings the likes of which we haven't seen for a few years. After a wobbly start, we looked A grade against highly touted (media) opposition. I think C is average, so ranking is about right.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

We've had one free hit (Ess) and beaten two teams that were in pretty good form (Carlton and Melbourne).
I'd say that we are a B- or B.
We are predictable in that we beat teams below us or on the same level and lose to teams above us.

We gave GWS a pretty good run and got to within 10 points late in the third until we fell away in the last quarter. Same with Port...but I think our interrupted pre-season was partially to blame there.

Should have won the Hawks game and were denied the chance to beat North.

We have had two absolute shockers...The WCE and Adelaide games were awful.

The loss to the Dogs was disappointing but they are a genuine top 4 contender and we will not challenge for the 8, so the result was as expected...and, again, you could make a case using the interrupted pre-season as a contributing factor.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:The guys "under the pump" are the ones that have barely been played. Tough to prove anything playing in the VFL. But we've learned so much more about Gilbo, Demps, Fish, Geary, Monty and Roo. That will set us up for the future!
Don't you get sick of going on and on about the same thing week after week? You can't pick a team based on their birth certificates. What point could there possibly be in playing kids in a team that will probably lose because you didn't bother to put any experienced players in it? You may not have noticed but we've gone over 50 years without winning a premiership. Playing the team that is going to have a crack at a premiership is not the only reason to play a team. Most years (and for some supporters ALL years!) the pleasure of going to the footy is to see our team play well and win a few games. Yes, even if some of our players are over 30.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:
Bluthy wrote:The guys "under the pump" are the ones that have barely been played. Tough to prove anything playing in the VFL. But we've learned so much more about Gilbo, Demps, Fish, Geary, Monty and Roo. That will set us up for the future!
Don't you get sick of going on and on about the same thing week after week? You can't pick a team based on their birth certificates. What point could there possibly be in playing kids in a team that will probably lose because you didn't bother to put any experienced players in it? You may not have noticed but we've gone over 50 years without winning a premiership. Playing the team that is going to have a crack at a premiership is not the only reason to play a team. Most years (and for some supporters ALL years!) the pleasure of going to the footy is to see our team play well and win a few games. Yes, even if some of our players are over 30.

plus one.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Really who gives a rat's toss bag what some journo writes. I'm sure the coaches don't.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
freely wrote:

plus one.
plus two

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
saynta wrote:
freely wrote:

plus one.
plus two
I'll join in too.

Funny to see Pies supporter murmurings about having too inexperienced a backline, crying out for Toovey, Brown, Goldsack, McCaffer, acknowledging there needs to be a good mix of experience and youth in the team to remain competitive over a full season.

Playon
Club Player

I has us down to win 12 at the start of the season and I reckon we'll win at least 6 more with the draw we have. So if that comes true surely we cant be far off playing finals next year with Carlisle in the side and whoever we manage to grab this year, along with more experience for our younger guys. So in all I think were doing really well. To finish off with 11-12+ wins from where we were last year is better than a C+

The wheels will have to fall off if we don't win at least 5 more. Wish we could of had another crack at Hawthorn this year

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:I has us down to win 12 at the start of the season and I reckon we'll win at least 6 more with the draw we have. So if that comes true surely we cant be far off playing finals next year with Carlisle in the side and whoever we manage to grab this year, along with more experience for our younger guys. So in all I think were doing really well. To finish off with 11-12+ wins from where we were last year is better than a C+

The wheels will have to fall off if we don't win at least 5 more. Wish we could of had another crack at Hawthorn this year
Everything would have to be going well to win six.
Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne are 50/50 at best...Even though the Melbourne game is at Etihad.
Brisbane, Gold Coast and Essendon should be gimmies.

Playon
Club Player

Everything is going well, We could knock off GC yet

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
saynta wrote:
freely wrote:

plus one.
plus two
:wink: We are on the same page on this one.

Legendary
Club Player

Hopefully we eradicate the big losses in the second half of the year, even if we don't win as many.

Winning 12 is a bit of a stretch - we aren't consistent enough yet.

Many unknown factors too - e.g. injuries, form of opponents etc.

Playon
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Hopefully we eradicate the big losses in the second half of the year, even if we don't win as many.

Winning 12 is a bit of a stretch - we aren't consistent enough yet.

Many unknown factors too - e.g. injuries, form of opponents etc.
Well that's up to you, I'm penciling us in for another six, out of those six we have a red hot forward line, both Membrey and Paddy adding to Bruce, and some players to return, I'm confident with Delaney and Lee to hold opp forwards and we soon get back Fish and Dempster. Our midfield hasn't struggled against sides around our position on the ladder Seb and Hickey having breakout seasons,Gresham showing his value, Ross doing really well and then theres Jackie boy and Armo.

I'm not going to mention the rest of the list such as Savage and Webster etc etc
So we'll just have to wait and see.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:
I apologise for being consistent in my vision of what is best for the club. I know that isn't the normal Saintsational way where you scream at people for not being true supporters for daring to criticise your favourite player and then go and bag the s*** out of a young player. Hypocrisy is the thing to do here obviously. I'm trying to get into the swing of that.

Why do you have to create such extreme straw men as "probably lose because you didn't bother to put any experienced players in it"? Where do I say play NO experienced players? Where? Stop going to extremes. I think playing all of Gilbo, Geary, Demps, Fish and Monty in the back half was too many oldies when we need to rejuvenate our backline like we have our forward line.

And why are you so negative and say we will lose playing some more kids? We didn't have that many oldies on Sunday and beat a team that had been seriously up and about. So isn't the data proving you wrong? Have faith in the future and stop being so negative. People catostrophise the future when they are nervous about it. I for one have faith in our kids and I'll back them.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
freely wrote:
I apologise for being consistent in my vision of what is best for the club. I know that isn't the normal Saintsational way where you scream at people for not being true supporters for daring to criticise your favourite player and then go and bag the s*** out of a young player. Hypocrisy is the thing to do here obviously. I'm trying to get into the swing of that.

Why do you have to create such extreme straw men as "probably lose because you didn't bother to put any experienced players in it"? Where do I say play NO experienced players? Where? Stop going to extremes. I think playing all of Gilbo, Geary, Demps, Fish and Monty in the back half was too many oldies when we need to rejuvenate our backline like we have our forward line.

And why are you so negative and say we will lose playing some more kids? We didn't have that many oldies on Sunday and beat a team that had been seriously up and about. So isn't the data proving you wrong? Have faith in the future and stop being so negative. People catostrophise the future when they are nervous about it. I for one have faith in our kids and I'll back them.
Apology accepted.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Apology accepted.
Thank you. Now I know how much it annoys control freaks like you I'll make sure I mention it even more. Lets see how our younger backline go against Cats. Surely you agree that will be an acid test with Danger and Selwood pumping it in a lot right? And if they hold up will you then admit that maybe, just maybe, we can successfully play a younger backline without the world ending?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Lets see how our younger backline go against Cats.
I'm pretty sure you'll be disappointed...Dempster should be back, Fisher a maybe, straight into the starting 22.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely love Dempsters work this season. Hope we get more seasons like this one out of him