Hurley!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hurley!!!!!

Would rather a quality mid over another key back

Marchbank would be a good pick up as a third tall to replace Sean D
I would attempt to steal Ahern as well in a package.

We need a number on new young talent because our group of C Grade players are not going to move us into the 8

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Obviously I don't rate this OP as having any substance whatsoever, but with regard to the discussion, I'd much prefer Marchbank.

Will cost about 1/3 of the salary cap space, potentially could snag him with a 2nd rounder if he wants out/nominates us, and will be as good if not better than Hurley in the 2018-20 range when we will be hitting our straps.

Marchbank will be the Dempster/Fisher replacement that will also provide heaps of run, and allow us to throw our big $$'s at a superstar mid that is a more pressing need.

Goddard I feel should be moulded into the ruck/forward option to give Hickey a chop out instead of running Bruce through there, and would allow us to trade Longer and hopefully net something semi valuable in return..

In that, if we could trade Longer for a 2nd, on trade that for Marchbank, and draft a mid this year with our first dp (#4-8) and poach a gun mid next year, 2018 could see a real surge up the ladder.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:Obviously I don't rate this OP as having any substance whatsoever, but with regard to the discussion, I'd much prefer Marchbank.

Will cost about 1/3 of the salary cap space, potentially could snag him with a 2nd rounder if he wants out/nominates us, and will be as good if not better than Hurley in the 2018-20 range when we will be hitting our straps.

Marchbank will be the Dempster/Fisher replacement that will also provide heaps of run, and allow us to throw our big $$'s at a superstar mid that is a more pressing need.

Goddard I feel should be moulded into the ruck/forward option to give Hickey a chop out instead of running Bruce through there, and would allow us to trade Longer and hopefully net something semi valuable in return..

In that, if we could trade Longer for a 2nd, on trade that for Marchbank, and draft a mid this year with our first dp (#4-8) and poach a gun mid next year, 2018 could see a real surge up the ladder.
no way gws are giving him up for 2 rounder, he was pick 6 and would be playing if not for injury, and we aren't the only club interested. My guess it would be a downgrade of our 1st rounder from our pick to one of their 3 first rounders, maybe with a second rounder thrown in.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Obviously I don't rate this OP as having any substance whatsoever, but with regard to the discussion, I'd much prefer Marchbank.

no way gws are giving him up for 2 rounder, he was pick 6 and would be playing if not for injury, and we aren't the only club interested. My guess it would be a downgrade of our 1st rounder from our pick to one of their 3 first rounders, maybe with a second rounder thrown in.
Haven't we already used up our second pick next season - gave it to Collingwood for Freeman. I may be confused is a 'second rounder' the same as our second pick???

longtimesaint
Club Player

loris wrote:
Griggsy wrote:

Haven't we already used up our second pick next season - gave it to Collingwood for Freeman. I may be confused is a 'second rounder' the same as our second pick???
Before any trading the second round pick is the same as second pick.
Trading of players or picks can change that.

One year will be our year
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

If it is true that he's deciding between us & Richmond, then he's gotta pick us. It the only sensible choice unless he's a nonger and never wants to play finals.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be trading Longer in a hurry. There may very well be a day, and I think its likely, that we'll go with two ruckman. Hickey & Longer would be a devastating combo.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

silverhalo wrote:No to Hurley.......he might be a reasonable player but we should have a no dickheads policy.....I can't forget him beating up a cab driver a few years ago. We've obviously been targeting players with good character over the last few years; let's stick to that and land ourselves a gun midfielder instead.....that's what we really need.
No "dickheads" policies are a myth. Sydney allegedly has the best one in the league, because Hall & O'Loughlin were good boys at the Swans. They also chased Lovett in 2008, because if anyone could reform him, surely it was the Swans?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Marchbank sounds like a good fit, on the topic of midfield guns, who could we possibly get? O'Meara must be too much of a risk now, so who else is there that's gettable and are they worth it?

Playon
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
silverhalo wrote:No to Hurley.......he might be a reasonable player but we should have a no dickheads policy.....I can't forget him beating up a cab driver a few years ago. We've obviously been targeting players with good character over the last few years; let's stick to that and land ourselves a gun midfielder instead.....that's what we really need.
What bollocks. Carlisle. Mav. A couple of senior players. All wouldnt have been picked up under your dumb rule.

And as for Hurley being a Saints supporter. Irrelevant. Jack Newnes were all North supporters. So we are going to lose Jack to the Roos.

BTW. Hope we get Hurley. Heard in Feb by other sources we were into him.

Would have to be DFA. Cant lose our first rounder.
He has met the club twice this year, that would be us doing our homework and he would of also met with other clubs, however the reports are that the club feels he will remain a Bomber. According to MG at BF

Most likely looking to boost his contract at Bomber land. Also if he was to go as a FA its estimated he will get between 900k to 1 mill and requires him to break his contract. Which would make him the highest paid defender in the league

Otherwise We deal with Dildo again... no thanks, no thanks and no thanks

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:Marchbank sounds like a good fit, on the topic of midfield guns, who could we possibly get? O'Meara must be too much of a risk now, so who else is there that's gettable and are they worth it?
Steele would be nice. Prestia will leave GC. Steele probably cheaper

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Marchbank sounds like a good fit, on the topic of midfield guns, who could we possibly get? O'Meara must be too much of a risk now, so who else is there that's gettable and are they worth it?
Steele would be nice. Prestia will leave GC. Steele probably cheaper
I'd be very happy with either Prestia and/or Steele.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Hmmm, now with reports we are going after Backman Marchbank, pick 6 2014 draft.

If anything it adds merit to the Hurley rumour. Clearly in the market for that position.
Goddard not coming on as expected, don't be suprised if he's tried as a forward later in the year!!!!!
Totally made up Redeemer...sorry, Stonecold..... :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stonecold
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Hmmm, now with reports we are going after Backman Marchbank, pick 6 2014 draft.

If anything it adds merit to the Hurley rumour. Clearly in the market for that position.
Goddard not coming on as expected, don't be suprised if he's tried as a forward later in the year!!!!!
Totally made up Redeemer...sorry, Stonecold..... :roll:
Based On?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintbob
SS Life Member

We definitely need another tall in our backline, whether it's Hurley, Marchbank or someone else.

Goddard and Carlisle will be there, Delaney and Lee's papers have been stamped IMO and will be delisted at the end of this year.
Dempster will go around again, but I'm not sure about Fisher although I hope he does.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Now Richmond has said the are not after Hurley, he must have chosen the Saints.

stonecold - please confirm.

You are garbage - Enough said
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Is he really that good?

I always thought he was a bit soft myself.

What would ppl be willing to give up for him

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If we can get Hurley as a FA due to the contract breaches I would take him in a heart beat...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Is he really that good?

I always thought he was a bit soft myself.

What would ppl be willing to give up for him

AA CHB last year.....must go ok....
Wouldn't be giving up a high draft pick for him though. More class mids please.

The Bummers losing him to us through FA would be ideal.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Now Richmond has said the are not after Hurley, he must have chosen the Saints.

Down to 2 Clubs, stay or go (Micheal's choice now), although the sticking point maybe getting the deal done!!!!! Essendon may ask for Goddard as part of the package from what I understand!!!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Now Richmond has said the are not after Hurley, he must have chosen the Saints.

Down to 2 Clubs, stay or go (Micheal's choice now), although the sticking point maybe getting the deal done!!!!! Essendon may ask for Goddard as part of the package from what I understand!!!!!

The_President
Club Player

stonecold wrote:

I've never read more garbage in my life

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_President wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I've never read more garbage in my life
Your opinion noted!!!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Someone with the username "stonecold" shouldn't be giving hot inside tips.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

If, and it's a very big if, this rumour has any credibility, why is there a package involved if he's a free agent on the basis of broken contract?