McDonald-Tipungwuti

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

McDonald-Tipungwuti

Or number 43. What a gun for the druggies. I was hoping when Brucey tackled him he'd get pummled a bit to stop his run and carry, but nup, he's as tough as they come and was back on his feet again. Just imagine how good he'd be at a proper team??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: McDonald-Tipungwuti

Loved his game.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Great find, his run and carry was instrumental in the bombers getting forward to score.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Softest player I've seen in a while.

Doesn't appear to relish the physical contact whatsoever.

asaint
Club Player

Been in a good paddock

saintbob
SS Life Member

A great find and his story is even better

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I love Tipu.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Softest player I've seen in a while.

Softest player in the entire AFL you think? Out of 600 odd players? He above all is the softest? Somehow managed 4 tackles against us but softest out of 600 players?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Your posting reputation remains intact.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 22 May 2016 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Iwonder if he has any faster, bigger, brothers. I have seen a few of his games. He is wasted at the bombers at the moment.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He is wasting space on here as well

Opposition Forum

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Great thread.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Was also impressed with him. Reminds me of Chance Bateman: similar build and the tied back dreadlocks.
Softer than Rhys Stanley? I think not.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

??? Did you watch the game?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Softest player in the entire AFL you think? Out of 600 odd players? He above all is the softest? Somehow managed 4 tackles against us but softest out of 600 players?
Well that's not what I said.

But he's a bruise free player. Sits meters off his man and cleans up loose uncontested footy across half back.

Not the first player to do this, and not the last. But it's very rare that guys like that are any good once some attention from the opposition goes into them.

None of these supposed 'great young talents' that Essendon have unearthed* have received any attention whatsoever as yet.

I think clearly, Essendon and their young guys are being judged way too lightly. They were pathetic yesterday. They were beaten by a team that played absolutely horrendously and we're coming off a 100 point drubbing and a trip to Perth.

Just because a bloke picks up easy kicks in a terrible team when the opposition consistently turns the ball over them, doesn't make him a star.

he I my averages 5 contested per week. One of the lowest at Essendon. At Essendon FFS!!

*handed to them by the AFL

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Didnt have a man and once we started to find targets going inside 50 his run off HBF was ineffective.

I understand totally what JM means. Once he has a close checking opponent he will go missing.

Hi possessions dont hurt.

You are garbage - Enough said
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:He is wasting space on here as well

Opposition Forum
Two essendon threads on here, whilst poor old jenifer is left to fade away in the general forum?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stevie
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:

Opposition Forum
Two essendon threads on here, whilst poor old jenifer is left to fade away in the general forum?
Sorry but Jen had her day ages ago. We need to pick another honey

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Didnt have a man and once we started to find targets going inside 50 his run off HBF was ineffective.

I understand totally what JM means. Once he has a close checking opponent he will go missing.

Could not disagree more. His man was Gresham and AMT tore us apart in the first half. His ball use was the best of anyone on the ground, he constantly turned our players inside out and provided great pressure and drive out of defence for Essendon. He lost some run in the second half but he was close to Essendon's best player for the day.

You can't knock him for not having a man when his direct opponent did very little. He read the play well and ran off Gresham whenever it was safe to do so. In the second half there were times when Mav was playing close on AMT which helped shut down some of his run.

Absurd comments that he plays 'bruise-free footy' as well. He absolutely crunched a few of our players and took some big hits himself. This week Paddy Dangerfield wrote a column in which he said a bump from AMT was the hardest hit he's ever received on a footy field.

Note that this is also his first year in the professional system, he's played 9 games and he's 23 year old. Going to get a lot better.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Just because a bloke picks up easy kicks in a terrible team when the opposition consistently turns the ball over them, doesn't make him a star.

he I my averages 5 contested per week. One of the lowest at Essendon. At Essendon FFS!!
20 touches (6 contested) at 80% efficiency with 1 clanger yesterday.

Only 5 contested per week? The following average 6 or less:

Newnes
Geary
Riewoldt
Savage
Bruce
Sinclair
Dempster
Acres
Fisher
Membrey
Gresham
Roberton
Templeton
Lonie
Lee

Bizarre rant

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Opposition Forum
we have - check the thread. arriving at a consensus is another matter entirely.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
loris
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
stevie wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Opposition Forum
we have - check the thread. arriving at a consensus is another matter entirely.
She's a bit like Ross Lyon - her time has passed her by :wink: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Didnt have a man and once we started to find targets going inside 50 his run off HBF was ineffective.

Could not disagree more. His man was Gresham and AMT tore us apart in the first half. His ball use was the best of anyone on the ground, he constantly turned our players inside out and provided great pressure and drive out of defence for Essendon. He lost some run in the second half but he was close to Essendon's best player for the day.

You can't knock him for not having a man when his direct opponent did very little. He read the play well and ran off Gresham whenever it was safe to do so. In the second half there were times when Mav was playing close on AMT which helped shut down some of his run.

Absurd comments that he plays 'bruise-free footy' as well. He absolutely crunched a few of our players and took some big hits himself. This week Paddy Dangerfield wrote a column in which he said a bump from AMT was the hardest hit he's ever received on a footy field.

Note that this is also his first year in the professional system, he's played 9 games and he's 23 year old. Going to get a lot better.
Gresham was not his man. He didn't have an opponent. It was like when we didn't send anyone to Mitchell for the Hawks. They don't penetrate or hurt the overall structure of the press or zone.

Will have to agree to disagree.

You are garbage - Enough said
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Gresham was not his man. He didn't have an opponent. It was like when we didn't send anyone to Mitchell for the Hawks. They don't penetrate or hurt the overall structure of the press or zone.

Will have to agree to disagree.
Both teams did have an extra behind the ball for most of the day but it was not McDonald-Tipungwuti. At every centre bounce he had a saints player, usually Gresham and occasionally Armo or Billings when they started deep forward.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

Jack Billings averages more tackles per week than him FFS! And AMT is a defender!

I'm not knocking him as such for his performances. They are what they are. I'm knocking those whom are buying the hype about a guy who basically plays loose and avoids contacts whenever possible.

By the way - "A player's contested possession tally is the sum of his hard-ball gets, loose-ball gets, contested marks, free kicks for, gathers from hitouts and ''contested knock-ons'', a new variation introduced this year."

So basically, crumbing a spilled marking contest is now a contested possession. To put it in perspective - Brendon freakin' Goddard averages 8 contested possessions!!

Being able to bump hard is irrelevant. Putting your body in a precarious position in order to benefit your team is what is irrelevant. And AMT avoids that.

To be fair, some dudes just play better when they avoid physical contact and want uncontested ball. He's clearly one of them. And he plays that role very well. But once these sorts of players get some attention, they very often disappear into the football wilderness.

He did disappear very, very quickly once Weller put some pressure on him.