Team v Bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Bombers

Unlike everybody else seems to be on here, I'm no expert on team selections.
IMHO the selectors have decided, for whatever reason, now is the correct time to 'trial' Bruce, McCartin and Membrey together in the forward line. Maybe they figure that's what the core of our forward line will be in the near future?
At the same time they want to win the game (in case it doesn't work) so they have the 'insurance' of Roo.

Essendon are in a worse position than us last week in terms of KPDs.
It would appear obvious that to play a team of small forwards against them is what they would prefer.
What they don't want is to play a 'tall' forward line.
Fisher neede to come back in - someone has to ply on Daniher and Gilbert showed last week he's not a KPD against talls
So again IMHO Sinclair got left out for McCartin
And McKenie replaced Acres because he was woeful last week and not much better the week before.

jays
Club Player

love the team we got this week im thinking a smashing vs the dons around 50+

spert
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't matter if we're tall or small, if we get smashed in the midfield again, then it's all over. I would hope to see some kind of system in the forward line for once this season.

Saints43
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Unlike everybody else seems to be on here, I'm no expert on team selections.
It's incredible that the players spend about 30 hours per week at the club that none of us see yet we can be selection experts based on two hours we saw 6 days ago.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Unlike everybody else seems to be on here, I'm no expert on team selections.
It's incredible that the players spend about 30 hours per week at the club that none of us see yet we can be selection experts based on two hours we saw 6 days ago.
Yeah why talk about it at all

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'm interested in the fact that the players dropped were

2 small fwds and a HF

Do we think the problem was with small fwds?
I think the position of Small Fwd is the toughest on the ground
You're stuck in there but not a target, if the mids are on top so are the key fwds if the mids are not, you don't get supply
Basically you are a pressure acts player

An easy scapegoat

Saints43
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Talk about it because it's interesting to us. But maybe we could ease off on the 'He must suck his...' and 'AR. My fist your balls...' type rubbish? Perhaps Sinclair called one of the coaches a useless c**** at training, smoked a bong during a weights session, or is tired, or has a family issue.... we wouldn't know what has gone on inside the club since Sunday afternoon. That's all I'm saying.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Do people want to primarily "punish" players or do they primarily want to win the game againts the Dons?

Yes we were bad last week, dismal in fact, but the team were good the two previous games. Who selects teams based purely on one game?

Last weeks team was clearly out of balance. There was some discussion on too many small forwards and not enough key defenders (and arguably no key defenders). Some posters but certainly not all favoured playing two ruckman (not I though).

IMO opinion our mids and defenders were the main culprits last week. However when you look at our mids at Sandy who deserves to be elevated as a true mid? Answer is no one as we desperately lack in that area (hopefully our recruiters can focus on this for the next two drafts).

This weeks selections make for a much better balanced team in my opinion. It removes a small forward and provides a true key defender in Fisher. The Dons forward line is a lot less feasome for tall forwards when compared to WC or North.

* In addition with Dons only playing Luey as a ruckman there is no need for two ruckman.

* We have no mids to elevate, but:
==> bringing Fisher back allows Gilbert to resume rotating through the midfield which he has done well at this year
==> playing Gresham as the small forward allows him to also be used in the midfield as he is definitelya future mid

B: J. Geary, S. Dempster, S. Savage
HB: D. Roberton, S. Gilbert, J. Webster
C: J. Newnes, D. Armitage, L. Montagna
HF: J. Billings, N. Riewoldt, T. Membrey
F: M. Weller, J. Bruce, J. Gresham
R: T. Hickey, S. Ross, J. Steven
Interchange from: L. Dunstan, S. Fisher, P. McCartin, D. McKenzie

Or perhaps as it will be for much of the game...

B: J. Geary, S. Dempster, S. Savage
HB: D. Roberton, S. Fisher, J. Webster
C: N. Riewoldt, D. Armitage, L. Montagna
HF: J. Billings, J. Bruce, T. Membrey
F: M. Weller, P. McCartin, J. Gresham
R: T. Hickey, S. Ross, J. Steven
Interchange from: L. Dunstan, D. McKenzie, J. Newnes, S. Gilbert

This team is very well balanced IMO. Against some other teams I would like to see another key defender.
It has good options to say move Roo or Gilbert forward...or even back.
Our midfield which got pumped last week now is freed up to have more players rotating through it with Roo also back on the wing.

Lonie in form will get back into the team as a small forward, but he has had a poor season and I would like him to have a series of games in the hurly burly of being a full time mid.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Talk about it because it's interesting to us. But maybe we could ease off on the 'He must suck his...' and 'AR. My fist your balls...' type rubbish? Perhaps Sinclair called one of the coaches a useless c**** at training, smoked a bong during a weights session, or is tired, or has a family issue.... we wouldn't know what has gone on inside the club since Sunday afternoon. That's all I'm saying.
:? :? :shock:

I need to log on here more often if that's the type of news I'm missing

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I'm interested in the fact that the players dropped were

2 small fwds and a HF

Do we think the problem was with small fwds?
I think the position of Small Fwd is the toughest on the ground
You're stuck in there but not a target, if the mids are on top so are the key fwds if the mids are not, you don't get supply
Basically you are a pressure acts player

An easy scapegoat
Small forwards that can't go in the midfield useless in GF's.
Leon Davis and Milne proved that.
Need versatility not one trick ponies!

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

spert wrote:Doesn't matter if we're tall or small, if we get smashed in the midfield again, then it's all over. I would hope to see some kind of system in the forward line for once this season.
So we had no system in the forward line when we kicked 18 goals in round 3 or when we kicked 20 goals in round 6??
Criticism is ok if it's justified and accurate, but when you just keep posting negative bulls*** it just becomes tedious and boring

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Richo - your balls, my fist. This was a great chance for Acres to get some batting practice against lower oppo and build some confidence. Well he was average last week you say. Well what about the Great Gilbo - yes he can be a magician but his disappearing act last week when we needed out oldies to stand up was pathetic but no price paid for him there.

I've hear Richo is going to be the new radio DJ on Magic FM as he plays all the oldies, all the time. Those classic Standards that he loves so much.

At least another Debutante in McKenzie is a step forward. Pressure on to win this now. Playing all our oldies, there is no excuse to lose. None.
Magic is an AM station.
A debutante is a young woman making a formal debut into society.

McKenzie played 7 games last season. Hardly a debutant. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
spert
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
spert wrote:Doesn't matter if we're tall or small, if we get smashed in the midfield again, then it's all over. I would hope to see some kind of system in the forward line for once this season.
So we had no system in the forward line when we kicked 18 goals in round 3 or when we kicked 20 goals in round 6??
Criticism is ok if it's justified and accurate, but when you just keep posting negative bulls*** it just becomes tedious and boring
The closest thing to system in any of those scores was just belting the ball into the forward line, and in those games our forwards happened to get hands on the ball and convert, and good for us it was, though too many goals went the other way too due to poor forward defensive work. Nothing negative about looking at what's not working, and why we only have two wins on the board.- that's the big negative. Go back to la la land mate.

saintbob
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:Why single out Acres, when the downhill skiers (WCE) were smashing us in clearance, go to Armo and Steven, tell em to lift their game!
Getting fed up with Gilbo and Geary.
Why, why do Saints coaches persist with hacks that even a VAFA team wouldn't want?
It's a saints tradition that's pathetic
Absolutely spot on, Steven and Armitage were no where to be seen and Acres cops a blast .

IMHO one of these two need to be traded, my preference would be Armitage

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:Why single out Acres, when the downhill skiers (WCE) were smashing us in clearance, go to Armo and Steven, tell em to lift their game!
Getting fed up with Gilbo and Geary.
Why, why do Saints coaches persist with hacks that even a VAFA team wouldn't want?
It's a saints tradition that's pathetic
Absolutely spot on, Steven and Armitage were no where to be seen and Acres cops a blast .

IMHO one of these two need to be traded, my preference would be Armitage
Armo is having a bad year so far but was awesome last year. He will come good again soon I reckon.

Blacres was shyte the last 2 games. Needed to be dropped. Maybe the rising star award got to his head. The boy is seriously inconsistent and needs to work on that big time

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Off the Club website - Aaron Hamill on Selection Insider is bloody hopeless. Just basically reads out the names and provides no analysis or "insider" valua whatsoever.
Might as well just read the team in the paper.
Don't expect inner sanctum details Sammy but at least say something.

Nee!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Off the Club website - Aaron Hamill on Selection Insider is bloody hopeless. Just basically reads out the names and provides no analysis or "insider" valua whatsoever.
Might as well just read the team in the paper.
Don't expect inner sanctum details Sammy but at least say something.
Exactly - I've been whinging about this. All we need is a little one liner on each player out - Acres "We just want him to work on his defensive side a bit more". Lonie "Needs to have more of an impact in games" - great done. Don't need any huge insights or list of issues. If Richo is asked about a dropped player he happily offers up a reason so its clearly not confidential.

bbm
Club Player

What does it metter? If we win you still wont be happy!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bbm wrote:
What does it metter? If we win you still wont be happy!
A win vs the Top-ups will hardly be a vindication of all things the club has ever done.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
* We have no mids to elevate, but:
==> bringing Fisher back allows Gilbert to resume rotating through the midfield which he has done well at this year
Delusional.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately Con there are too many that are hoping that somehow Gilbo will find his 2009 2010 form when we are challenging for a finals berth. Like you said - delusional!!

And be prepared Con. I bet you there'll be some on here (and in match committee) arguing for Gilbo to stay in the side even after what he dished up today