Just F*** Off Umpire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Just F*** Off Umpire

kosifantutti wrote:Just watched the first quarter. Hickey is the new Milne. Can't buy a free.

And apparently there is no high tackle here.
Hickey obviously 'ducked' into the tackle.

Milne
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:Just watched the first quarter. Hickey is the new Milne. Can't buy a free.

And apparently there is no high tackle here.
Looks like a free kick to hawthorn to me.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Mathews constantly defended decisions made by the umps against us which begs the questions why he had to ? Contentious ? Appeared to be poor calls ? WE are getting the rough end of the pineapple for some reason.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Every week people here whinge about the umpires and conspiracies and "what are we going to do about it???????". Yes umpires make s*** decisions - they tend to favour the top teams as their players are first in at the footy, have more disposals, and have the experience to milk frees. When we are up it will go our way. Right now it doesn't matter too much. Get over it.
The point is Bluthy, they are deciding games. Not just our games, the dogs crows game was blatant cheating. Hawthorn have 3 games now decided by the umps.

I do agree there is nothing the club can do

Its just alarming that 7 rounds in and so many games have been decided by the umps

spert
Saintsational Legend

Stop whining about umpires you guys! In reality, the top team normally wins against the 13th on the ladder, so it was a good effort to get so close.
I walked away from that game more concerned about our forward structure(or lack of) and the poor work around stoppages, let alone a couple of dumb turnovers that gave North a break on the scoreboard. Regardless of how we think the team is going, we still have only two wins same as this time last year, and the only result of improvement is more wins than last year that's how we get up the ladder.
We need to do better than rely on Roo to do a cameo performance every week for a few goals, and Richo has a bit of work to do to fix his systems up.
If you want to talk umpires, then my opinion is that they were inconsistent. The ruck free against Hickey near the end was as easy as it get for an umpire

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Just FK Off you FKN C**T Umpire

Devilhead wrote:I know its accurate but apologies for the thread title - in the heat of the moment ...... happy to change it if required!
Nah, leave it.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

The free to Harvey in the pocket (2nd Qtr) was quite possibly the softest in the history of the game.

And a point of clarification, was there actually a new interpretation of the "too high" rule or did I imagine it? Two or three times, North players launched themselves head first into the guts (or shins) of a Saints players and milked a free. I thought they'd put a stop to this.

A couple of years ago Lenny had one of those paid against him and he just stood there and laughed.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Its just alarming that 7 rounds in and so many games have been decided by the umps
it should be drummed into their thick skulls that when the game is in the balance you pay only the most blatant, obvious infringements.

You don't want games where guys have put their bodies on the line for 120 minutes decided on a technicality. First rule of umpiring. Put the whistle away. Pay the obvious ones only

mullet
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

it should be drummed into their thick skulls that when the game is in the balance you pay only the most blatant, obvious infringements.

You don't want games where guys have put their bodies on the line for 120 minutes decided on a technicality. First rule of umpiring. Put the whistle away. Pay the obvious ones only
exactly. When you are watching 2 teams exhausted trying to get that extra 1% out of their battered and tired bodies the last thing you need is some little twerp to come in and go " oh your my favorite, you can have it".

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

exactly. When you are watching 2 teams exhausted trying to get that extra 1% out of their battered and tired bodies the last thing you need is some little twerp to come in and go " oh your my favorite, you can have it".
I used to call them maggots but that's insulting to all maggots. maggot lice is far more appropriate.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Eagles at subiaco next week, hold on to your hats because the reeming had only just begun.
They seem to reserve the most timid umpires for the Subiaco crowd...free kick discrepancy usually double digits in the Eagles favour, so I'm not looking forward to it.

As an aside, the shot clock issue is interesting. It's a completely useless addition to the game, so I'd be happy to see it ditched, and I'm sure it will be. Whilst Wood was fine in what he did, and North are probably astute in basing plays around running the clock down (as Scott has admitted), there will be a day when Collingwood's opposition run down the shot clock with 45 seconds left in the game, thus scuttling a winnable game, and all hell will break loose.

Additionally, can the shot clock be run down and a kick not taken (i.e. short pass at the last minute) to double up? Can a shot be legitimately called 80m from goal, the player claiming they're 'doing a Malcolm Blight'? What are the rules surrounding use of the shot clock, as I can see each of these scenario's occurring before the season is out...most likely against us!

stevie
Saintsational Legend

what happened to the old rules where time off would be blown - like it is now at stoppages - where the ball was marked near goal and the player didn't look to play on? was this abandoned to 'speed the game up and make it more 'entertaining'?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Can a shot be legitimately called 80m from goal, the player claiming they're 'doing a Malcolm Blight'?
Absolutely not!!!!

Just ask Maverick Weller and Shane Savage, both who have been called to play on in the past 3 weeks from 55 metres out and therefore denied the possibly of having a shot on goal.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:what happened to the old rules where time off would be blown - like it is now at stoppages - where the ball was marked near goal and the player didn't look to play on? was this abandoned to 'speed the game up and make it more 'entertaining'?
Good point

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Well it's character building to go for the Saints, always has been

SaintJohn1956
Club Player

Did anyone else early in the match North did a kick in from a point that barely went 10 metres let alone 15 - again nothing from the umpire.

Saint John
mullet
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Well it's character building to go for the Saints, always has been
54 years my character is huge :D

You are correct though, thats what I told my daughter

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

SaintJohn1956 wrote:Did anyone else early in the match North did a kick in from a point that barely went 10 metres let alone 15 - again nothing from the umpire.
Yep. Receiver was about 5 steps beyond the behind post.

kp83
Club Player

Just to make yourself even more livid with the umpiring on Sunday, go to the AFL website, hover your mouse over the 'Video' section, then go down to the 'Match Replay' section (under the 'Watch Matches heading). Make sure the STK vs NMFC game is the one selected then look at the bottom of the screen where it says 'Choose Event' and click on the 'Free Kick' option. You'll see all the free kicks that were paid in the match pop up in little blue tabs. Now click on the last free paid in the 1st quarter - it will be Todd Goldstein at the 24:46 mark.
Now I don't want to over exaggerate, but THIS IS THE WORST F***ING FREE KICK I HAVE EVEN SEEN PAID!!!!!!!!!!!
F*** em all!!!!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:Just to make yourself even more livid with the umpiring on Sunday, go to the AFL website, hover your mouse over the 'Video' section, then go down to the 'Match Replay' section (under the 'Watch Matches heading). Make sure the STK vs NMFC game is the one selected then look at the bottom of the screen where it says 'Choose Event' and click on the 'Free Kick' option. You'll see all the free kicks that were paid in the match pop up in little blue tabs. Now click on the last free paid in the 1st quarter - it will be Todd Goldstein at the 24:46 mark.
Now I don't want to over exaggerate, but THIS IS THE WORST F***ING FREE KICK I HAVE EVEN SEEN PAID!!!!!!!!!!!
F*** em all!!!!
Do they have a free kicks NOT paid option??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

magnifisaint wrote:
stevie wrote:what happened to the old rules where time off would be blown - like it is now at stoppages - where the ball was marked near goal and the player didn't look to play on? was this abandoned to 'speed the game up and make it more 'entertaining'?
Good point
not really - it is the rule that time is stopped after a free kick/mark and the player is obviously going to have a shot but not lined up or have the ball - Time is blown on when the player has the ball and the shot clock commences

Seeya
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Well it's character building to go for the Saints, always has been
54 years my character is huge :D

You are correct though, thats what I told my daughter
Great posts. My words exactly. And when someone asks me who I follow, I reply "Saints, I love pain and suffering"

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

For those incensed about umpiring injustices. Get ready for another big weekend.

WCE at home have the most lop-sided frees for and against of any team in the last ten years.

In 2015 for example, WCE at home :
Frees For - 256. Frees Against - 165.

Been in that kind of territory for years.

Check this out :

"WEST Coast is the most protected team in the AFL.
The Eagles have won a staggering 349 more free kicks than they have conceded in the past five years — a differential three times bigger than their nearest rival.
But it’s at Subiaco, at the aptly nicknamed “House of Pain”, where West Coast gets the biggest advantage from whistleblowers."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... cedb3bd45c

To the top
SS Life Member

It is not only what is paid but what, in similar circumstances, is not paid.

So the word is consistency.

Looking at the differences in free kicks paid is only part of the equation.

So Hickey can be scragged out of a ruck contest with no free paid.

And if that was holding the ball against Newnes at the end, then what about all of the similar incidents where the ball spills free in the tackle and it is play on?

Who you are, your reputation and the side you play for influence Umpires.

When they used to periodically run around the athletics track in George Street, Doncaster some years back you could tag off the back of them listening to their conversations talking up who they paid free kicks to and who they paid free kicks against.

Akin to school kids bragging about their exploits - and nothing has changed.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Have been loving these threads where people have been able to vent their spleens about poor umpiring, without plugger66 chiming in. I swear that guy was an AFL paid agent.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!