Seb Ross stepping it up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross stepping it up

I, for one, was thoroughly impressed with Seb's game yesterday. He seemed to read the play very effectively, looked very level-headed and his use of the ball was most efficient.

Isn't he the cousin of Jobe Watson? There was a rumour before the draft that we were looking to use him in the Carlisle trade. A couple of Essendon people I know scoffed at that idea. Would love to see Seb continue to play with the same poise and intensity he showed yesterday. Perhaps one of his better games with us. After yesterday, it brought comfort to me that we haven't let him go. He could play quite an important role in our current team's dynamic and future aspirations.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross stepping it up

Sainternist wrote:I, for one, was thoroughly impressed with Seb's game yesterday. He seemed to read the play very effectively, looked very level-headed and his use of the ball was most efficient.

Isn't he the cousin of Jobe Watson? There was a rumour before the draft that we were looking to use him in the Carlisle trade. A couple of Essendon people I know scoffed at that idea. Would love to see Seb continue to play with the same poise and intensity he showed yesterday. Perhaps one of his better games with us. After yesterday, it brought comfort to me that we haven't let him go. He could play quite an important role in our current team's dynamic and future aspirations.
+1.
Really important player for us. We need big body mids and he is going to be the man man for us for the next 5-7 years in that department. Turns 23yo in a few weeks so about to enter his prime. If Acres (20yo) can step it up over the next two years that gives us two large units in the middle winning clearances and dominating around the packs.

gone fission
Club Player

Great to see him rewarding the faith that has been shown in him.
Often criticised for being slow, but is he actually slow? I saw him break away from a few opponents yesterday.
Just love the way he goes about it - no nonsense.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Thought he was outstanding in heavy traffic, which is where most of his possessions originated.

No surprise to me, I thought he was ready to step up last season before he did his hammy so badly. Hope he keeps up the standard.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I, for one, was thoroughly impressed with Seb's game yesterday. He seemed to read the play very effectively, looked very level-headed and his use of the ball was most efficient.

He was never on the trade table. Never. The rumour is just that, a rumour.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Indeed. I just brought it up as a segue to Essendon supporters underestimating him. I bet they wouldn't mind having him in their team now.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

That was pretty much my first view of Seb and I was very impressed. He ran out of puff in the second a bit but his first half use of the ball - clever little kicks from a pack - was great. Pinpoint kicks too.

Statsman
Club Player

I've never been a big wrap for Ross but I'm very quickly changing my mind given the form he's shown to date this season. He's winning the hard ball in and under, getting out into space a lot more and using the ball much better by foot.

I had him BOG at 3QT yesterday against Collingwood, but unfortunately he ran out of gas and couldn't keep it going in the 4th quarter. However it was a positive that he kept working hard throughout the 4th quarter even though you could see that he was absolutely spent. I like that the mind was willing even thought the body couldn't match it. Give him another couple of pre-seasons to build on that core fitness and he'll be running out games as a key cog in our engine room.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

What about hickey - was rumoured to be on the trade table also (although I found it very hard to believe) imagine what a loss that would have been based on his start. Currently 2nd most effective and dominant ruckman in the league - 2nd to nicnat

#1 Ryder fan
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I thought Tom was unbelievable R1

Average last week
And OK this week

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

On the radio today they were saying the pies ruckman usually rips us a new one and that hickey beat him soundly as well as Choke who played the stop gap ruck - that's a fair effort! I've never been his biggest fan I'll be the first to admit but longer has some work to do for that first ruck position

#1 Ryder fan
saintbob
SS Life Member

I've always rated Seb, just needed the continuity to show his best and he will only get better.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Agree with saynta. He was never on the trade table. This was one of those forum things where people put two and two together and get 3. It was the theory that because he was a cousin of Jobe - somehow that meant he really wanted to go to Essendon and EFC were really interested in him and somehow connected that to the Carlisle trade. This was wild speculation.

EFC could have drafted Seb back in 2011 but went for Elliott Kavanagh instead. They werent interested. Why the heck would he want to go there? If 'cousins' were actually a thing we would have got Jack Riewoldt five years ago. There is no evidence Seb is even friendly with Jobe anyway. They are more than 8 years apart in age.

shrodes
SS Life Member

He had a great game, thought he looked tireder than others in the final quarter though. Maybe he spent more TOG or needs a bit more conditioning work?

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

The lack of rotations certainly had an impact on our midfielders.

So happy for Seb, I thought he was magnificent on Saturday.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Certainly looks quicker this year .
Lets hope he continues and cements his place in the side for the next 10 years .

In red white and black from 73
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Seb was on track to do this last year before injury. Hopefully he stays injury free and gets even better before seasons end.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Well said.

Had some doubts on Ross and whether he could match the potential he's only ever shown in glimpses.

But it looks like he's done an Armitage and made a giant leap forward. Armo went from good to elite; Ross has gone from average to very good.

Here's to a big 2016 and beyond.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:I've always rated Seb, just needed the continuity to show his best and he will only get better.
Anyone with an eye for real footballing talent could seen that Seb had it in spades.

He is a pure natural footballer, not an athlete trying to be good at a ball game

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
saintbob wrote:I've always rated Seb, just needed the continuity to show his best and he will only get better.
Anyone with an eye for real footballing talent could seen that Seb had it in spades.

He is a pure natural footballer, not an athlete trying to be good at a ball game
Yes agree with u 2.

So many were so quick to write him off. His inside work & and getting the ball out was always evident. It's just that his handballs often missed the target. It wasn't always Seb's fault, often slow reaction of his teammates.

Each year you could see he was slowly improving his tank, so obviously he was putting in effort - the Club knew that even if supporters wouldn't give him much slack. As the endurance is building, his ability to spread is more evident, plus he's not so iffy with his kicking.

Some posters forget that bad hamstring injury he received in the NAB series last season, had him miss about 10 games, I think it was. He had been really purring along in that preseason before he was injured. One doesn't come back after a serious hammy and regain their touch immediately, nor their endurance they had slowly been building up.

Like saynta I think he is 'natural' footballer, who reads the play well. Some of his teammates are becoming more used to his quick hand passes........ They appear to anticipate his passes moreoften now - not just react to them.

I've been a Seb fan from the get go........... glad to see others clambering onboard!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yes agree with u 2.

So many were so quick to write him off. His inside work & and getting the ball out was always evident. It's just that his handballs often missed the target. It wasn't always Seb's fault, often slow reaction of his teammates.

Each year you could see he was slowly improving his tank, so obviously he was putting in effort - the Club knew that even if supporters wouldn't give him much slack. As the endurance is building, his ability to spread is more evident, plus he's not so iffy with his kicking.

Some posters forget that bad hamstring injury he received in the NAB series last season, had him miss about 10 games, I think it was. He had been really purring along in that preseason before he was injured. One doesn't come back after a serious hammy and regain their touch immediately, nor their endurance they had slowly been building up.

Like saynta I think he is 'natural' footballer, who reads the play well. Some of his teammates are becoming more used to his quick hand passes........ They appear to anticipate his passes moreoften now - not just react to them.

I've been a Seb fan from the get go........... glad to see others clambering onboard!
Bit like Les Foote's experiences with his less talented teamates, Eh Loris?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I was another who was critical of him, his lack of speed and urgency, but I am pleased to say I was wrong. He was sublime against the Pies and is a real chance to take over the No 1 inside mid mantle...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:I was another who was critical of him, his lack of speed and urgency, but I am pleased to say I was wrong. He was sublime against the Pies and is a real chance to take over the No 1 inside mid mantle...
He does have that air of lack of urgency, bit like Acres and Nicky dal. Seems to have plenty of time though to dispose of the ball most of the time..He will improve as he gains experience
Ross isn't slow as he showed against the Pies on Saturday.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

The kid made it today I think. Reads the stoppage well and knows where the outlets are.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Griggsy wrote:The kid made it today I think. Reads the stoppage well and knows where the outlets are.
He was good again, wasn't he?

Now looks very tough for someone of his height, and seems to get out of trouble more often than not even when he gets locked in.

Always loyal