Weller ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

felix
Club Player

Weller ?

Love this guys tenacity and hardness he is ferocious at the contest and does some great team things , kicks goals. It's clear on here that he is a bit unloved ...pleeeese explain.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Weller ?

I've liked him since the start, always looked like he plays on will power, That's the kind of player you can never write off. Probably never going to be the most talented player on the list but could be a possibility for a spiritual leader in the future.

I've also seen the same for membrey, but he may or may not make it due to structure and skills.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's a solid player.... Gives 100% and is a team man

What's not to like?

the dome
Club Player

Loved Weller's G O A L

yes enjoyed Max's decision to take on the responsibility and thread the needle with a beautiful goal.
Well done Maxie.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Weller is in the leadership group.
I get the impression he is fiery and has that bit of mongrel, maybe like Baker; but he has a lot of smarts about the aggression. He will not be dominated. Lonie seems to be a fiery one as well, in a smaller package.
We need our guys to harvest that anger and "hate" of the opponent, so they can dig deep when needed -" you will not beat me!"
Mav has that in spades.
Excellent quality. I see him as an indispensable player in our best 22

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I really liked his game on Sunday. Is a terrific kick of the ball and always goes in hard. Really solid little unit. He'll really start to come of age this year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
To the top
SS Life Member

Kicked a goal from a free kick won by Dunstan for holding the ball.

Was servicable, but I would imagine a PA player running around him on the boundary line resulting in a goal would have rated a statement on the Coach's tape.

Weller did not have the pace to close the option and force the PA player over the line by putting body on body, despite being body on body initially. He just got opened up to create the space then pace was used to exploit it.

And that is the question. Pace for a player of his size and where pace is essential.

These are the little moments you analyse in forming the conclusion that a player is a premiership 22 player.

Weller is filing a hole at the present time.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Kicked a goal from a free kick won by Dunstan for holding the ball.

Was servicable, but I would imagine a PA player running around him on the boundary line resulting in a goal would have rated a statement on the Coach's tape.

Weller did not have the pace to close the option and force the PA player over the line by putting body on body, despite being body on body initially. He just got opened up to create the space then pace was used to exploit it.

And that is the question. Pace for a player of his size and where pace is essential.

These are the little moments you analyse in forming the conclusion that a player is a premiership 22 player.

Yeah I feel a bit that way. My big issue is his decision making and general footy smarts. I can see the chinks in him that let GC let him go. He had ball running forward and didn't spot Roo on great lead with heaps of space. His kicking is pretty iffy and we want all our players to have good disposal so we can keep possession of that footy.

But...he can do some absolutely sublime stuff sometimes including goals and marks. His goals yesterday were really inspiring and got us going. His physicality was a huge asset yesterday and he wrapped up PA players through sheer strength. He trains super hard apparently and sets a high standard as a leader so thats damn valuable at the moment.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Looks good as a defensive forward.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Kicked a goal from a free kick won by Dunstan for holding the ball.
They both tackled him. But I don't think that was the goal. He kicked a goal from his own mark in a similar position.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

[quote="To the top"]Kicked a goal from a free kick won by Dunstan for holding the ball.

/quote]

No, he missed that one. Point only.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

20 possessions 2 goals

If he is a defensive forward, he focussed too much on offence...

Griggsy
SS Life Member

IMO his speed isn't actually that bad, and I wouldn't say it's essential if the structure of the team is right. I never thought Lenny and Dal were quick and I feel Mav could be quicker than them.

I don't recall the play you are referring to or who the PA player was but I've seen a guy like Judd get burnt in the same fashion. What quarter was it?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Seems to have excellent speed once he gets going. Not so much burst speed off the mark, which is more noticeable and a huge weapon i.e. Steven.

Similarly is a huge, powerful kick, without the touch required to really be deadly.

He's an almost player. But a good one, if that makes sense.

Needs to put four quarters together more often, as he can go missing. Will be a better player once Billings, Acres, Lonie etc continue to develop and take more heat.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

The goal I think about, didn't get caught even though he had 2 bounces and steadied for a shot.

elizabethr
Club Player

A classic ball watcher.

nothing to say
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think he's one of many players on our list that is currently ok that we want to see take that step up to being a good/very good player

Guys like Savage, Ross, Weller, Dunstan, Billings to name a few... Acres is getting there.

They're all decent players and have strengths but we're getting to that time where we want ot see tem take it up a notch

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Agree with skeptic guys like Weller, Webster & Ross, the time is now to really step up with 5 or more years in the system.

They need to be playing solid football consistently and cement their spots in the side.

I thought Weller was very good against Port, but he needs to show that form each week.

Billings, Acres & Dunstan have more time up their sleeves.

Savage has no excuses entering his 8th season.